Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cricut Expression Machine - Broken

I purchased a used Expression a few years old, finally tried it out last night and shift key is dead. Talked to Cricut, did the reset twice and she put me on hold a long time and then said since it's out of warranty there is nothing can do for my machine. How can that be no such repairs on a $400 machine?

I have a fortune of cartridges I purchased over the last several months. I still want the machine but with only a one year warranty and mine is broke, makes me wonder how many other ladies are left with a broken bug before its time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 609 Likes on 249 Posts

It seems that the warranty is short to get you to upgrade rather than repair. Every year there has been a bigger/newer/better machine to replace last year's broken one. I woujld love to have a Cricut for scrapbook titles but the rate of obsolescence make be wary of buying one.
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Yup

See that's what I am now looking at. If SU sold a product as such we'd be just a tad upset. Besides the development should go along with the longevity of the machine. And you'd think this was a booger to develop.

I'm in the position now do I sell pennies on the dollar the new & used cartridges. Or give a new one try and use the crap out of the new machine for the next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know gal's that have had their Cricuts for ages and they still work great! buying used is always a 50/50 deal...Unless you can try before you buy or see the item...the condition is not a guarantee!

Wal-Mart has been running some great package deals on the Cricut...check out
Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.

Sorry this had to happen to you...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

The customer service gal told me it's not an unheard of problem for the shift key to stop working. Resetting doesn't always work but most of the time it does

Last edited by lvlabs; 09-14-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

When I dropped & broke mine it was out of warranty but I was able to send the machine back & 50.00 (might have been 75.00) and they sent me a reconditioned one. It was a few years ago and it was with the original bug before the prices came way down. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #7  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 656 Likes on 459 Posts

If you are not in a rush, I bought mine on Black Friday last year at wal mart for less than $200, I think it was $188
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Good info ladies!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I only had my expression for a month and it just totally quit working. I plugged it in and it just didnt turn on. After a few times talking to them, they sent me a prepaid label, I sent it back and they sent me a totallly new one. I am worried that this will happen again or something else will , and it will be out of warranty, and I'm stuck as well. I'm just hoping for the best! I really like the machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I got my original bug a few years ago from a private party and when it started having problems (within the first year), Cricut couldn't help me since it was from a private party. The box was still sealed from the factory when I got it, so I know it was new, but since I had "no proof of purchase", they were limited on their help.

I have since bought the Create and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I've had my Expression for a few years now. Two or three, at least. And it still works fine. I don't use it a ton, but still.

Have you considered the Design Studio software or a Gypsy? I don't use the keyboard on the machine itself at all when using these. There are even load paper, unload paper, and cut buttons on the Gypsy. Would your machine work this way?

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the design software but have never installed. Great suggestion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvlabsView Post
If SU sold a product as such we'd be just a tad upset.
Why bring SU into this thread? They don't sell anything even remotely similar to a Cricut... it's like comparing apples to oranges. :confused:

Buying a product like a Cricut that is used is always a risk. One reason I never buy anything used... you never know how much life is left in something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

SU rocks on setting a standard for great quality products for paper crafters. They fix any product with a consistent quality concern. Comments from others have stated quality concerns with Cricut.

Logic: A $400 machine should have a repair center just like my sewing machine does. I still have to pay for my repairs but my repairs have been less than the replacement cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I don't use my Expression much, and would be seriously ticked off if it broke. I've had mine for 3 years so I'm out of the warranty too. I can't believe that there is no place to have it serviced at all. I would probably end up selling my carts or buy a smaller one. Probably selling my carts would be more likeley. I think I have used it 4 times in 3 years. Even just playing around I have used my Big Shot WAY more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Love my Big Shot! But love the Cricut for letters. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

SU rocks on setting a standard for great quality products for paper crafters. They fix any product with a consistent quality concern. Comments from others have stated quality concerns with Cricut.

Logic: A $400 machine should have a repair center just like my sewing machine does. I still have to pay for my repairs but my repairs have been less than the replacement cost.
Again, I ask what does SU have to do with the Cricut? Two completely different companies and two completely different products. Until SU offers an electronic cutting machine it is really not fair to compare the two.

I am completely happy with the quality of my Cricut and Gypsy. If you had supposedly heard negative comments about the Cricut's quality then why get one... and a used one to boot. :confused:

Cricuts are an electronic machine and, unfortunately, these types of things nowadays are considered "disposable". They are cheaper to replace than to repair. My son recently had the screen on his laptop die (it was only 2 years old) and the warranty had expired. We took it in to Best Buy to be repaired and by the time we figured out how much it was going to cost it was actually a better deal to buy a new computer. It's not like years back when things were repaired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this doesn't help you now, but this type of situation is the very reason I buy anything that has a warranty with Visa. Visa will automatically double your warranty up to an extra year. I had a printer that was 23 1/2 months. The original mfg warranty ran out at 1 year, but Visa replaced my printer because it was on "their warranty". Its kind of a crap shoot when you buy products from a private party and really don't have much of a recourse in those situations. I hope you find a solution to your situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

My sweetie told me tonite to go buy whatever I want. But I will certainly use my Visa instead of Amex. I'm going to try the software first.

Last edited by lvlabs; 09-15-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

My sweetie told me tonite to go buy whatever I want. But I will certainly use my Visa instead of Amex. I'm going to try the software first.
He said anything? Are you interested in the Cricut Imagine? I don't plan to get one right now (will later) but if someone gave me carte blanche to get anything I want, that would move to the top of my list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I've looked at that machine, overwhelming to just read about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I love my Expression with no problems! Sorry this has happened to you. Did you contact the person who sold it to you? I am kindof wondering if it was already broken. I hope not. Hate to think that someone would do that to you! The NEW machines are getting cheaper and cheaper. Someone on the Cricut Q and A thread bought one recently for $179 with 4 carts and markers! If the carts were repeats you could sell them and hopefully recover what you are out with the used machine. Plus, if you have a handy man maybe you could save the used one for parts??????? I like what someone said about DS. I have it but really don't use it that much, never did. I also have a Gypsy which could be another way to go. Good luck!

Also, Stampin UP is not without their issues and complaints as well! But that is a another full thread I am sure somewhere! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you didn't already replace it, check on ebay first. I just looked up best prices for a friend and brand new in box (with warranty) Cricut Expressions start at around $130 with free shipping. That's a far better price than I found anywhere else. They're on sale at Joanns this week for $280.
There are a ton of authorized cricut retailers on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Leslie, I haven't bought anything yet. I'm calling Cricut today to ask them some questions about the colored Cricut WalMart carries and I'll ask them then how can we be assured we are buying from an authorized dealer.

I love eBay so that'd work out great for me. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in the land of Downunder. yep you guessed it i live in Australia
Default Don't support companies that don't give support

Don't support companies that don't give support. That's my motto. We pay enough for these wonderful machines and to say they can't help is just rotten. I won't be buying one now that I've seen this thread. There is plenty of competition out there so another company will get my custom.

Why do we put up with this anyway. The comment that things are disposable is a cop out. We are the consumers why are they making the rules. Let's get tough and at the same time save our planet from all this disposable junk.

Zena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Personally, I would never purchase a used machine of any kind. You are only heading for trouble. You have no way to know if the Seller is being honest with you. If it's a few years old, I wouldn't want it anyway and for sure there would be something wrong with it. That's the reason someone would be selling it.

My experience with Provo is super! They're Customer Service is great! I had a problem with my Expression and they only asked 2 questions before sending out a new one to me. Returned the defective one in the box sent....never even had to leave my home or pay return shipping.

The electronic machines are such that it's cheaper for replacement rather than Provo to have a repair service.

I use my Expression for several hours on a daily basis and yes, do expect that I will need to replace it. To get just the machine is rather inexpensive so it's worth it to me. I would only purchase from a store or some other business that did have some kind of return or refund policy. I wouldn't purchase from a private person.

As far as comparing with Stampin' Up....you really can't as another poster said, they don't sell anything comparable to the electronic machines. But on their Customer Service policy. That policy is only as good as the Demonstrator you deal with wants it to be. If the Demonstrator is not interested in dealing with any problem you are having with a product, then their policy is the pits! If the Demonstrator does not agree with you, then there is no Customer Service or policy. Not all Demonstrators function the same. Some are great and some not so up to par.

I love my Expression and Design Studio and am very happy with the features of both. I am interested in the Imagine and hope to have an opportunity to use it in the near future.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Wait! did using the software work?! I have a baby bug that I have had for years, and don't use it that much. If it were to break, I would absolutely replace it! It's just fun! But, I am sooo curious if using the software to bypass the keyboard would work!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

The same thing happened to my expression. The shift keys and cut buttons don't do anything. I called pc, and got no help as it is no longer under warranty. I do use it with my gypsy or ds and that works just fine.
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default question for lvlabs

Hi I just saw your post from sept of 2010 and I am wondering if you still have the expression that is broken? My mom just bought one from a private seller and unfortunately my son dropped it on the floor and as a result the circuit board for the size dial is cracked. If you still have your broken one would you be willing to sell me the circuit board? I have had no luck finding replacement parts and provo craft will not sell it to me. thanks for any you help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Deleted........ saw that the original post was outdated
Reply With Quote Likes