Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creative road block

Does anyone ever sit at their desk and can't figure out what to create. :confused:The past few days this has happened to me and it's driving me batty!! I try and do other things, but am limited due to disability, so card making is my outlet. Any suggestions on what helps you get out of a funk? I make cards for my family, SCS BRAK group, a local senior center and this months card for a cause, so 15-30 cards a month. Any Suggestions?

Believe in
Yourself!!

www.pinterest.com/samigirl66/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No suggestions here, just sympathy. I love colouring, so sometimes I just stamp something and colour it. Sometimes I will even fussy-cut it out, or cut it out in a neat rectangle and sponge the edges. Then it just sits there, where eventually it gets put in a "will do something with that later" envelope, and then maybe after a year I'll end up giving it all to a stamping friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

When this happens to me I go to My Favorites and pick out some card ideas to try and CASE. I almost never have the same stamps, paper, embellishments, etc. but it gives me a starting point and then I go through my stash to see what I can create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

When I have a lapse in creativeness this is the place I go. Just browse all the different layouts and the billion cards uploaded and I am sure you will find something that sparks you interest.

Card Sketches Forum - Wednesday Challenge Ideas, Rules, and Submissions

OR

Search for a specific stamp set in the gallery.

OR

Pintrest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'm with Leslie - I head for the challenge forum - there's always something that starts my engine there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love looking at what others are doing to give me ideas. Even watch a video or two on you tube on the latest creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Big hugs for you. This happened to me last week. I just wandered around my room fussing with stuff. I set down with my magazines and started cutting them up. That helped a lot. You could try stamping out some images or just doing those things that us stampers need to do to catch up on things. That's what I do when I am in funk.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i clean up the mess and walk away. it usually works for me to take a break for a day or 12! good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 04:28 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I think most of us go through a creative slump at various times - I am in the middle of one right now so I totally understand your frustration. I have cards I need to make but I can't even think of what to make! Tomorrow I am posting a store-bought birthday card (oh the horror!) or the recipient won't get a card in time for their birthday! I have learned to walk away from my desk and not force myself to be creative otherwise the frustration just gets worse and I make a big mess which then annoys me because I have nothing to show for my time. To help me refresh my creative spirit, I usually clean up my Craft Room or spend some time looking through my stash. I might find a stamp set I haven't used in ages and do a Google Image search for that stamp set plus the word "cards" so that I can bring up cards made with that stamp set. You can do a similar search in Pinterest. I also love to look at the Weekly Favorites & Weekly Clean & Simple Favorites posted here on SCS in the General Stamping Forum which always inspires me. And I catch up on my favourite blogs or watch You Tube Videos. {{hugs}} and hope your creative spirit will return soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default me to!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
When this happens to me I go to My Favorites and pick out some card ideas to try and CASE. I almost never have the same stamps, paper, embellishments, etc. but it gives me a starting point and then I go through my stash to see what I can create.
I generally just start looking thru my favs like Diane. It always gets me going.
Hope it passes quickly for you.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 601 Likes on 245 Posts

I look through samples and pick one to CASE. I try to do it as close to the original as I possibly can. Then I challenge myself to change it up and make that idea my own. By then the creative surge is back and I can stamp all day.
HTH
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

A lot of time!

My problem is I know what image I want to do, with no problem at all. But looking through my tons of paper, for just the right one is very time consuming.

Then I have to decide how I want the layout done, and then the embellishments. I am wore out, by the time I get one card done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I rarely have this issue since Pinterest came along. I have too many projects to make and not enough time.

However, I just watched a Carolyn Dube youtube video where she did a 3-second decision page. She just started scribbling with paint and played until she liked it. She also has a video where she does a Fear box. She writes her fears about her art on a piece of paper and puts them in a Fear box.

Jann Gray also has a video on just playing. So, get some scrap cardstock (no investment) and just put something on the paper. It may lead you someplace fabulous. If not, it's a few minutes of your time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When this happens to me, I either clean up a mess in my craft room or look at old Somerset (Stampington) magazines, the ones from the 1990s to 2005. I get more inspiration from those than from current issues. Sometimes I need to jolt myself away from current trends to get inspired --even if I end up working in a current trendy way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

When this happens I also clean, organize, and just play with techniques but never try to make anything so there is no pressure. I also practice coloring, improve my water coloring, etc. I've also started an art journal that is strictly for testing colors and techniques. If it works, great that I have a sample and if it's butt-ugly, I have a reminder not to do it again. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I always go through the galleries here or check out Pinterest for ideas of sets I have. Pinterest is a huge help I just search the stamp sets by name!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

YouTube videos - I'm a Lindsay, The Frugalcrafter-aholic as well as many others.

Though I have to be honest, getting stuck in and organizing my stash has re-oomph my creative process.

Also started an art journal just to create for me. It has taken some prompts to get me started and even took me 5 separate attempts over a month to complete a page, but then I did 2 pages in one day!!! Embrace the process. And use your "uninspired time" to research and plan.

I now have an active list on Evernote of things I need to make and I jot down ideas for them there. So for my hubs birthday I had to make 3 cards and listed my different themes etc. I have my list of ideas through next February so hopefully I can work them out before I need them!

Last edited by RiverIsis; 09-12-2014 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Try out a kit! I haven't played with my things for months and had been sitting in front of them without being able to do anything, and tonight I managed to do a whole 12x12 page from a kit. I personalized it a lot and it looks kind of different from the kit instructions, but at least I did something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 06:39 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

My sister and I explored a while back the idea of team teaching - she'd do the technical and I'd do the creative. So I studied up a little on being creative, and here's one thing I learned: when we hit a creative block, it's not because we can think of nothing, it's because our creative minds are log jammed with too much input. So what I do when I am in a slump is impose limits on myself - I can only use two colors, or I must only use one sheet of paper, or I have to include xxxxx on the finished card. This process helps to "redirect" your brain back into the creative process and loosens up the log jam.
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSnowView Post
My sister and I explored a while back the idea of team teaching - she'd do the technical and I'd do the creative. So I studied up a little on being creative, and here's one thing I learned: when we hit a creative block, it's not because we can think of nothing, it's because our creative minds are log jammed with too much input. So what I do when I am in a slump is impose limits on myself - I can only use two colors, or I must only use one sheet of paper, or I have to include xxxxx on the finished card. This process helps to "redirect" your brain back into the creative process and loosens up the log jam.
That explains so well why challenges and cleaning your space works. Challenges limit what you can use and cleaning space normally means you come across something you want to use to create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmomnhView Post
I always go through the galleries here or check out Pinterest for ideas of sets I have. Pinterest is a huge help I just search the stamp sets by name!

Pinterest is my go-to for ideas all the time. I expect even the most creative people have down times when they aren't feeling it. And I certainly do. But Pinterest is amazing! Pick a set you have and might want to play with. Search by name and see what pops up.

Good luck It will turn around, it always does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Interesting input. It's funny that for me I stopped doing challenges with tight restrictions because it causes a super creative block for me. As soon as there are restrictions I freeze up. It seems that everything I can think of are outside the challenge. I do participate in challenges with light restrictions because it gives me enough freedom to explore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

I head to the pinterest button on the SCS homepage. Pick a board and go wild!! It is absolutely full of ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Oh, it's so good to know this as I have had a creative block since I went to a Craft Show a few weeks ago. Spent a whole day there doing different workshops and of course, LOTS of card samples displayed so heaps of things to see and buy - came home with a lovely bag of goodies which I haven't used yet! Since then, it's like my brain has turned to stone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Interesting input. It's funny that for me I stopped doing challenges with tight restrictions because it causes a super creative block for me. As soon as there are restrictions I freeze up. It seems that everything I can think of are outside the challenge. I do participate in challenges with light restrictions because it gives me enough freedom to explore.
The thing is, it has spurred your creativity just not in the direction of the challenge!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

((sympathy hugs))

I can take weeks to think about a design for a holiday run. It is definitely the longest part of the process for me. The only thing worse is when I know what I want to do but cant get it right. I have the image in my brain but it wont work on the paper!

It is worse for me when I have to make something like bday cards by a set date and I am time crunched. One minute there is a dozen ideas waiting to be done and then when I go to do it...I can freeze up.

So I am happy to read about the log jam theory. Plays right into my general theory of life: KISS. I take a deep breath, think about what I [I]feel like[I] doing that day-a color group. seasonal, a paper I want to use, any [I]one[I] thing I can use as "anchor" or jump off point.

Sometimes it helps if I think of them...for example, are they a dog lover, have a fav color, hobby or something? That can give me some direction.

If you are just doing for you...isnt there some technique you have been wanting to learn or try? Great time to hit tutorials on youtube!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm in one right now and I think it's just from going on vacation. The week before vacation I was so busy with packing and preparation that I just didn't let me creativity flow. I've been back for two weeks now, and am just now getting back into the routine of things which means my creative time is slowly coming back. I used to do the challenges a lot, but have missed out on the last several weeks, so I need to get back into them. I find them to be really helpful. Cleaning up my craft room, or just clearing my craft desk helps as well. Pinterest is helpful as well, and I'm actually going to use a bunch of diecut balloons I have had on hand for a couple of months and make some cards based on some I saw on there this morning.
When my mom has a creative slump, I tell her to spin around in her craft chair with her eyes closed and wherever she is facing when she stops she must pick something from that area to make something with.
I hope you are able to get out of your slump soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

I am totally 'lost my mojo' stage right now. I caught a virus that put me out of commission for most of August and I just can't seem to get back into it. I just am not feeling inspired at all.
I do agree that the challenges and techniques section does usually spark my interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
((sympathy hugs))

I can take weeks to think about a design for a holiday run. It is definitely the longest part of the process for me. The only thing worse is when I know what I want to do but cant get it right. I have the image in my brain but it wont work on the paper!

It is worse for me when I have to make something like bday cards by a set date and I am time crunched. One minute there is a dozen ideas waiting to be done and then when I go to do it...I can freeze up.

So I am happy to read about the log jam theory. Plays right into my general theory of life: KISS. I take a deep breath, think about what I [I]feel like[I] doing that day-a color group. seasonal, a paper I want to use, any [I]one[I] thing I can use as "anchor" or jump off point.

Sometimes it helps if I think of them...for example, are they a dog lover, have a fav color, hobby or something? That can give me some direction.

If you are just doing for you...isnt there some technique you have been wanting to learn or try? Great time to hit tutorials on youtube!
I signed up to Evernote to sort out my craft supplies, but now I also use it to plan cards for people so I have a list of people and ATM I jot down my ideas for them theme, color, techniques etc. It really has helped focus my ideas when I have them and spark my memory when they've abandoned me. My list goes through next February, but I am looking to expand it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Kirsten, as a "queen of lists" I should do that too...I could just write them down. Of course in a perfect world I would just simply make them when I thought of it, and not worry about the laundry etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi stampers, I am sorry for butting into this conversation, but I don't know where to ask this - I just got a used (large) punch by Emaginations and it has 5 leaf or petals that punch out individually. I can not find anywhere how to use or put together the leaves or petals to make a flower. I have played around with them, to no avail. Is there anywhere that I can look on this site? I did a google search for the punch, and it must be an older one, because I can't find it anywhere. One was being sold as a set of 6 on eBay but I don't think the seller can help me with a picture of the end product or flower. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
Hi stampers, I am sorry for butting into this conversation, but I don't know where to ask this - I just got a used (large) punch by Emaginations and it has 5 leaf or petals that punch out individually. I can not find anywhere how to use or put together the leaves or petals to make a flower. I have played around with them, to no avail. Is there anywhere that I can look on this site? I did a google search for the punch, and it must be an older one, because I can't find it anywhere. One was being sold as a set of 6 on eBay but I don't think the seller can help me with a picture of the end product or flower. Any suggestions?
Do you have a picture of the punch (a ebay link to the listing will be fine)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

That is when I concentrate on doing things around the house............that I should have already been taking care of.............LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

I often will make only "one" of a card, but I think I might give myself permission to do an occasional duplicate. I can always change up the colors, papers, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Is this the punch?

Emagination Super Jumbo Flower Petal Punch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
no, but it is a similar one, the petals are a little wider and bumpy on the ends.
here is the link, it is the lower left one.
Emagination Punches Lot of Six 6 Large 3" Leaf Designs for Scrapbooking | eBay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Do you have a picture of the punch (a ebay link to the listing will be fine)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

no, but it is a similar one, the petals are a little wider and bumpy on the ends.
I believe it is this red flower

And this purple one

Last edited by RiverIsis; 09-14-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I believe it is this red flower

And this purple one
YES! that's it! thank you so much.... you ladies are usually so helpful, I thought I'd give it a try, and you came through. thanks again.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I can empathize about the creative slump in card-making, and something that gets me moving is tackling a clean up project related to housekeeping. I hate doing those chores but I'd be surrounded with dog hair if I didn't keep after that! When that passes as "cleared up," I am usually back to some crafting task, even if it is sorting my embellishments. I am fascinated by the creativity here and on Pinterest, as well as some craft magazines from the UK, and look for inspiration in many places. I may not make anything specific, but part of creativity is in the design process, as well as in the final product. It's good to step away from card-making for me, and dip into my other interests to nurture them. Cooking, canning, jelly-making and baking help, as does a fresh morning walk with my big pups! It's been 14 months since my retirement, and I haven't had a day when something didn't get done that had a creative side. I also think it's been so helpful for me to read the comments on SCS, as my crafting friends live 45 minutes away. Good luck with the diversions; the creative juices will flow when the right inspiration hits you! Diane
Reply With Quote Likes