Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
Oh, ME TOO! The last couple of years I've tried doing the 'word of the year' kind of thing... I pick one word that is meaningful and suggests what I want to do/improve/focus on/or just start... that way there's not really any specific goal or plan -- because for me too, those backfire big time.
One example was a couple years ago, I chose 'release' as my word. For me it meant letting go of things, habits, people, or whatever felt like it was weighing me down. I did pretty well that year! This year's word was 'strive' which was apparently too intimidating of a choice for me and didn't really help at all and somehow even though it's a general verb, felt like a specific goal to me :rolleyes:
That's so funny - I attempted Ali Edwards' "One Word" a couple of years ago... and got as far as picking my word and buying the kit! So eye roll back at you! :rolleyes:

My word was "more," I think? My most excellent reasons for "more" escape me now. (She had whatever word a participants came up with made in acrylic.) I also have "tough" though. Maybe that was from her monthly word? Or have I reversed them? lol Both words are in a little holder on my shelf on the wall I'm facing now. More tough!

Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is mine:

Do all 5 of the classes I have purchased from Scrapbook & Cards Today that are all sitting at 0% completed.

Unsubcribe from blogs etc that I don't even open anymore in my emails ( I just spend way too much time on the computer going through them all when I should be crafting)

Spending freeze - I have so much stuff I don't need to buy anything else...unless I fully run out of something, there is no need to buy anything new.

Send out the cards I make - I have so many and they just sit in a bin, I'd rather someone enjoy them. I may just send them to random people ( I'll just pick names out of the phone book, or leave it on a windshield or something..just a note to say hello, someone thought of you today

I'd also like to learn to color with my copics better.

These are a lot and I may only be able to do one or two, but I'm gonna give it a shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampathaView Post
Here is mine:

Do all 5 of the classes I have purchased from Scrapbook & Cards Today that are all sitting at 0% completed.

Thanks for jogging my memory!

I bought all three of Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry classes from Online Card Classes but have not done any of them! So I will add doing those to my resolutions!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Susan, you will enoy the living daylights out of those classes! I did all three myself. I didn't require myself to follow along and do the technique tags for each - I watched each course completely through and then went back and rewatched and did the techniques I liked best before moving on to the next course. You'll do it however it works best for you, naturally, but however you do it, you'll love it. Tim is such a great teacher, and the "bloopers" video where Tim shows his the goofs and mess-ups is practically worth the cost of each class alone.

Oh, and the webinars are great! !

Last edited by Rachelrose; 12-08-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for mentioning online card classes, ladies! I want to focus on my existing stash and avoid buying, but I also wanted to get something fun and crafty for my birthday in March. Maybe a card class or two would be fun.

Any particular recommendations that are really worth the cost?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I thought of a DEFINITE to-do for the upcoming year: In other threads regarding purging and all, the theme keeps coming up of "only keep what you love". For me, I have to USE something in order to know if I love it or not - of course I love looking at it, but using it? I have to do a touchy-feely thing to know. SO - the definite goal is to USE at least three things every week that haven't been used before, then decide if they are keepers or not... (I'd like to make it "every day", but I know me, and I'm not a liar...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampathaView Post
Here is mine:

Unsubcribe from blogs etc that I don't even open anymore in my emails ( I just spend way too much time on the computer going through them all when I should be crafting)

Spending freeze - I have so much stuff I don't need to buy anything else...unless I fully run out of something, there is no need to buy anything new.

Send out the cards I make - I have so many and they just sit in a bin, I'd rather someone enjoy them. I may just send them to random people ( I'll just pick names out of the phone book, or leave it on a windshield or something..just a note to say hello, someone thought of you today

I'd also like to learn to color with my copics better.

These are a lot and I may only be able to do one or two, but I'm gonna give it a shot!
Love this post, I can use all of these as my goals too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
Thanks for mentioning online card classes, ladies! I want to focus on my existing stash and avoid buying, but I also wanted to get something fun and crafty for my birthday in March. Maybe a card class or two would be fun.

In my opinion for On-line card classes, the Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry may be useful if you want to learn more about his Distress products,
otherwise, just watch YouTube videos from the same teachers and spend the money on your birthday!!!
After having "enrolled" in way too many of the classes, I finally came to the realization that the only difference between those and YouTube was the actual card, the techniques are the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #49  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Scrapbook.com has some great classes..some are free and some are ones you have to pay for.

Scrapbook and Cards Today has a card class that they did for world cardmaking day that is a good one (I've looked through mine, although I've not done it yet).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I thought of a DEFINITE to-do for the upcoming year: In other threads regarding purging and all, the theme keeps coming up of "only keep what you love". For me, I have to USE something in order to know if I love it or not - of course I love looking at it, but using it? I have to do a touchy-feely thing to know. SO - the definite goal is to USE at least three things every week that haven't been used before, then decide if they are keepers or not... (I'd like to make it "every day", but I know me, and I'm not a liar...)
Sue, you will have so much fun doing that. That was my goal for this year was to use all my forgotten toys in my room and see if it is really me. It was the most fun art journey I ever had as an artist. I learned so much about myself as an artist too. I hope the same thing for you. I got rid of a lot too and found myself as an artist again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Sue, you will have so much fun doing that. That was my goal for this year was to use all my forgotten toys in my room and see if it is really me. It was the most fun art journey I ever had as an artist. I learned so much about myself as an artist too. I hope the same thing for you. I got rid of a lot too and found myself as an artist again.
That is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for! Thanks for the encouragement...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #52  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been making and selling cards at two local farmers markets where I live. This year I need over 2000 cards. So I will be cutting bases and then stamping my people out and colouring to match until I start the markets and hopefully I will not be working like a mad woman during the market season. This year I could not keep up and a few markets I had holes on the rack but I got to the point where I just didn't care, ha haha.

Regards,
Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

#1. To be able to get through my craft room door. #2. To be able to get out again.

Not kidding; it really IS that bad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #54  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,388 Likes on 519 Posts

I want to scrapbook again. I scrapbook a bit backwards in that I am not inspired to create a layout until I have something to say. I find photos after I know what I want to say on my page. For the past few years, I just did not have anything I wanted to journal, but now that my oldest daughter is a junior in high school, I find my words coming back and I want to scrapbook them.

I want to scrapbook again so much that I am thinking of setting aside my volunteer work for awhile just to do this. I write what I think and feel far better than I say it and I really want to record "messages" to my three teenage daughters in layouts. I did this when they were infants, toddlers, and elementary school age, but felt "silent" during their middle school years. There is nothing serious or difficult going on -quite the opposite, my husband and I are truly enjoying these years - and I think that is what I most want to write about - all the joy I feel at watching them grow and slowly become independent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to put organizing on my list for the year, too, but I find organizing to be a whirlpool that sucks me in way too much. I bought a label maker, for example, with the intention of just labeling my inkpads (so I'd have an easier time finding them). And then that turned into going through my stamps to label them, too. I had to stop once I ran out of labeling tape because it would end up costing me way too much money.

So, in 2018, I'm putting creating ahead of organizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #56  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Labeling tape is too expensive IMO. Just saying. It's one of those items that when you need to stock up on all the sizes you use you find it has become a major purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I wanted to put organizing on my list for the year, too, but I find organizing to be a whirlpool that sucks me in way too much. I bought a label maker, for example, with the intention of just labeling my inkpads (so I'd have an easier time finding them). And then that turned into going through my stamps to label them, too. I had to stop once I ran out of labeling tape because it would end up costing me way too much money.

So, in 2018, I'm putting creating ahead of organizing.
This needs to be my mantra...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the subject of organizing, what do you do with all your Christmas stamps after the season is over? I have many sets that take up several shelves in my craft room. It would make sense to box them up and store for the year, freeing up lots of space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #59  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
On the subject of organizing, what do you do with all your Christmas stamps after the season is over? I have many sets that take up several shelves in my craft room. It would make sense to box them up and store for the year, freeing up lots of space.
I have one large plastic bin to store all things Christmas. Stamps, matching dies, embellishments, card or tag kits, extra cards all stay together. Christmas/ winter papers are in a separate box because I scrap Christmas photos all year.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought of another one: Follow thru, a.k.a. stop starting but not finishing projects and more importantly stop coming up with great ideas and never even trying them.

Along that same note - I considered getting a plastic tub for all things Christmas but have yet to get around to it. Then again I still need to finish clearing out the closet in that room to make room for said Christmas tub.

Yep, FOLLOW THRU is definitely going on my resolutions for 2018 list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

For the first time I filled a bin with all my Christmas stamps when I finished my cards this year. I had run out of space on my shelves for my regular stamps. Now I’ll have to think about the papers and accessories. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Along that same note - I considered getting a plastic tub for all things Christmas but have yet to get around to it. Then again I still need to finish clearing out the closet in that room to make room for said Christmas tub.
I did this last year. I made tubs for all my holiday craft supplies. I filled up two tubs full of Christmas items. I am horrified! LOL! Granted, it is a lot of December Daily and vintage journal items. Guess who didn't do a December Daily this year? Least, I didn't buy very much this year either. I am all stocked up for next Christmas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #63  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

I have all my Christmas stamps in one box (I've been on an unmounting kick and they now take far less space) and all Christmas paper and "doo-dads" in one box, so I can move them to a less prime spot in the off season, though not too far because . . .

In 2018, I have two small goals --

1 -- 10 or so Christmas cards each month so I don't feel the push in November and December.
2 - Scrapbook more - just randomly, when a picture inspires me, instead of feeling like I have to do it in chrono order only.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 362 Likes on 198 Posts

I have made 11 Christmas cards, 1 birthday, 1 thinking of you and 2 Thanksgiving cards this week. I used pre-stamped images, pre-embossed card fronts, pre-cut nesties, and lots of card bases and DSP scraps that I have had for eons! It feels good to use up some of the miscellaneous stuff and it has motivated me to do more.
Couple that with the cold and continuing frigid weather - I'm happy to be indoors!

I think Sue mentioned that sometimes you have to use things to determine if its something you want to keep or use - I agree! I have found several stamp sets that I had never used and I have played around with them and discovered - I am letting them go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too have made some Christmas cards this week. I keep my Christmas stuff out as I have a goal to make 10 Christmas cards a month throughout the year.

Love the fact that you have used up pre-stamped images, backgrounds, etc. that you've had for eons, Arlene. I'm setting another goal for 2018 - to make at least one card a week that uses stuff from my box of unfinished pieces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I have made 11 Christmas cards, 1 birthday, 1 thinking of you and 2 Thanksgiving cards this week. I used pre-stamped images, pre-embossed card fronts, pre-cut nesties, and lots of card bases and DSP scraps that I have had for eons! It feels good to use up some of the miscellaneous stuff and it has motivated me to do more.
Couple that with the cold and continuing frigid weather - I'm happy to be indoors!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

SmilynStef and her lovely friend Lauren have a blog that hosts bi-weekly Christmas card challenges throughout the year ("Taking back Christmas, one card at a time" is their mission). You can check it out here: jingle belles

I played along for a few years, then got seriously sidetracked. I'm planning to return to the merriment this year...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. 2018 - I am going to do the 365 thing again. I have done it several years in the past, but want to try it again. I'm finding that the older I get, I take less photos for a 'layout', so maybe this will help me document the year.
Next, is a word. I was thinking about a word and my word is 'move'. I need to keep moving - getting to sedate in my lifestyle and that's not good. Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to start a big new exercise program, but that instead of sitting in the chair, I'm going to get up and do something right away instead of thinking about it and forgetting it. so many things that I 'put off' take no time at all if I just get "moving".
Next, I signed up a couple of years ago to be a StampinUP consultant. Why? to get stuff cheaper. I think I'm over it now. Going to let that go.
Next, I send holiday cards to my parents and old aunts and uncles. I just need to get them done early so I'm not rushing and can spend a little more time on them. They are so appreciative of the cards they get. And again the birthday and anniversary cards I send to family, but also I need to send encouraging cards.
Last, stop buying so much. A person can buy so much that they spend all their time trying to arrange things so they have a home. And there goes my crafting time.
I did a 12 x 12 layout one year - every month (didn't make it the whole year though) with some monthly goals that I could check off. I worked on layouts, Christmas cards, next month's birthdays/anniversaries,etc. I like lists and crossing things off.
So, looks like I'll need to keep 'moving' to get those things accomplished!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #68  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I want to remember to send more cards. By the time birthdays and anniversaries pop up on my phone, it�s too late. So, I made a calendar book with dsp. If I can just get the dates written in the book, I�m good to go. I already bought stamps as well. My second goal is to repeat last year�s goal of making Christmas cards early in the year. In 2017, a friend and I got together in February to make them. We plan to do that again. This year, I will also do the 10 or 11 Chanukah cards I send.
Third goal is to print labels and get them on the envelopes by April. If anyone moves, I�ll only have a couple that need changing. December just gets too busy, and I don�t want to be so behind again. I made them in February, and didn�t finish mailing them out until December 22nd. (I run a craft Fair in December, which takes all my time.)
That�s it for me. Anything else is icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

MY 2018 crafting goal is to use up retired packages of DSP and retired card stock.
I started with SU Sweet Stitches DSP (the sewing one from year's ago).
I completely used all the remaining pieces of DSP and several pieces of Regal Rose (retired) card stock making nine cards.
My next remains of retired DSP to use is Nouveau Chic. I'll report back when I use that up. Good Luck to everyone who is challenging themselves with various crafting goals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just thought of another goal for myself - one card a week using something out of my UFO (unfinished objects) box - I have so many stamped but not coloured images, so many backgrounds, etc. And also be ruthless with the stuff in there and toss some into the recycling bin.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
MY 2018 crafting goal is to use up retired packages of DSP and retired card stock.
I completely used all the remaining pieces of DSP and several pieces of Regal Rose (retired) card stock making nine cards.
My next remains of retired DSP to use is Nouveau Chic. I'll report back when I use that up. Good Luck to everyone who is challenging themselves with various crafting goals.
Oh, Nouveau Chic! That was my favorite of all time ❤️
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

My resolution/goal/wish/plan........Time, to give myself 'me time', whether that is crafting, reading, putting a face pack on, having a long hot bath. Time to spend with myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #73  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up yes, yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
I LOVE this idea! It would be great to get some of those 1/2 used, retired paper packs used up. It would help move the stash, get cards and pages done and provide creative inspiration for using the paper I have instead of looking for new ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My goal is to spend 30 minutes a day in my stamping lair. Even if to just tidy up. Sometimes, just looking can inspire me. I stepped away for awhile and am ready to create again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #75  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

My goal this year is to stamp all my sentiments on index cards so that I can use them all. I can remember the images but loose track of all the words. So far I’m halfway through the D’s. I have a lovely oak card box that’s 6” x 10”. So I’ll be able to store them all in one place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I want to participate in more blog challenges this year. I did pretty good last year and I had fun.

I also want to send in more cards to published .

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #77  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have more Christmas stuff than anything else, so I usually put mine in a plastic tub and stick it under the stairs (which is close to my scrap space). That way it is close by and all together but out of the way enough. If I want to do a layout or a card with a holiday theme it is easy enough to pull out. Sometimes I just make up a small kit as well of Christmas stuff and use that up and then another one..etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

stamping every card on typing paper first to see how it looks. I need to save on cardstock costs!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So glad you started this thread again for 2018. I didn�t meet all my goals in 2017 - that whole life getting in the way thing didn�t help. But the thread was great to keep me connected to my goals and I think did help me turn more of them into reality than I might otherwise have done.

I haven�t done a lot of thinking about 2018 crafty goals, plus, with my step-dad�s passing in August, I�m not as motivated to be sending cards into the nursing home where he lived. It�s still a possibility, but I�m not quite there yet. But here are some things off the top of my head....

Church shut-in cards: There are around 20 of them, give or take, at any point in time. I�d love to be able to make each of them 4 cards a year (including Christmas).

Practicing creativity: I work full-time, so I don�t kid myself that I can make a card a day. However, I�ve found that, when I make the effort to spend 20-30 minutes a day in my craft room most days of the week, my mood is improved and my creativity seems to flow more easily. So I�d like to strive to spend some time in the craft room 3-4 weeknights and one of the weekend days.

Purging: I almost hesitate to include this one - seems like the proverbial resolutions to lose weight, exercise more, etc. But I know I have product that just didn�t turn out to be my thing, or that no longer serves me. So I�d like to send those items to a new home where they will be used and loved. In January, I�m going to work on inkpads. I�m also hoping that I will be willing to go through my boxes of DSP and cardstock scraps and get rid of those designs that I�m unlikely to ever use.

Random (and not quite random) Acts of Kindness: In terms of random, I�d like to make some little happy cards and add small gift cards from Subway or McDonalds and take them with me when I go into Chicago to give out some homeless people I encounter. In terms of not so random, I have a friend who lost his wife just before Christmas. I want to make a point of sending him �thinking of you� cards this year on key dates (their anniversary, her birthday, anniversary of her passing) to let him know that I understand that those days can be hard, especially in that first yer.

Tools: When I was at my friend�s house, she had the most amazing paper cutter, but it is expensive. I don�t need one as large as hers, but it is still super expensive. So I�d like to be able to save up enough during 2018 to buy it for myself for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbie, I totally agree with what you say in the statement I quoted from your goals - I too find my mood improves when I spend time in my craft room. And regular time in there definitely increases my creativity. What a great observation!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
I�ve found that, when I make the effort to spend 20-30 minutes a day in my craft room most days of the week, my mood is improved and my creativity seems to flow more easily.

Reply With Quote Likes