Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm planning to make a chat thread at the end of each month to see everyone's progress and to share my own.
I think we can all continue to inspire and support each other throughout the year!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
I'm planning to make a chat thread at the end of each month to see everyone's progress and to share my own.
I think we can all continue to inspire and support each other throughout the year!

This is a great idea!!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at the road of organized and mowed over with my stamping supplies. I need to purge a little, better organize even if it means demounting the wood stamps, and catch up on my existing inventory. After all that is caught up, I want to start on a recipe book for great granddaughter with heritage in mind. I want my pages to include pictures of the women that lived before her, their relationship to her, their handwriting, their well used recipes, and a short story of about their lives. I am almost 70 and she is 3. I want her to know all the women from the family tree. Hoping that down the road of time, when she gets married, she will be given this book and get to know all of us through it. And ideas from this group would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
A thought occurred to me while reading everyone else's "use up the stash" goals: If I accomplish my One and Only goal, then that will be a natural by-product, as well - double win!
I thi�k the trick to use up the stash is to not buy more while trying to use it up.. I had eight cropper hopper storage things filled with Bazzill card stock....it was so heavy , my husband said he would have to reinforce the floor under my craftroom. I have it whittled down to three things of card stock now....but it was really hard to not keep buying another pack of Bazzill. I do like having less because every time I wanted a shade of green I had to pull out the green bin and go thru all the colors for my best choice....that would take 25 minutes and by then I would be annoyed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

LindaF409....a great idea for your great granddaughter. I made a similar book for my granddaughter in-law for a bridal gift. I used a packaged Recipe type kit album and asked all the family to send me a favorite recipe with her in mind. I typed them all on antiqued recipe cards with an old 1932 typewriter I found at a flea market . the kit had pockets to slip in extra recipes and places to glue some down. It was a big hit.

I also made myself and sister-in-laws a small tri-fold album in memory of my Mom. I had her hand written recipes and old photos of when she was a young woman. I photocopies the recipes to include them in 4 separate albums. It was also a big hit.
Good luck...there are lots of great products out there for recipe books these days.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mail stuff to people. period!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I am at the road of organized and mowed over with my stamping supplies. I need to purge a little, better organize even if it means demounting the wood stamps, and catch up on my existing inventory. After all that is caught up, I want to start on a recipe book for great granddaughter with heritage in mind. I want my pages to include pictures of the women that lived before her, their relationship to her, their handwriting, their well used recipes, and a short story of about their lives. I am almost 70 and she is 3. I want her to know all the women from the family tree. Hoping that down the road of time, when she gets married, she will be given this book and get to know all of us through it. And ideas from this group would be appreciated.
What a great idea for a gift! I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

One thing I can recommend is to add some context -- things like big headlines in the year each lady was born (or hit a life milestone like getting married) are pretty easy to find at the local library or over the internet. Not only are they an interesting fact, but they could show some of the reasons why the recipe uses those ingredients.

For example, one of our favorite "everyday" coffee cakes is a simple cake that has just 8 ingredients and relies on natural sweetness of apples paired with cinnamon for flavor. The great-grandmother that came up with the recipe did so during the Great Depression, where fresh eggs and sugar were rare and too expensive to use daily. So, she got inventive and made a new cake that all the kids and grandkids rave about. It's become a family secret recipe and it's been passed on through 5 generations since.

Knowing that recipe has such history behind it makes me appreciate it even more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
What a great idea!
After my MIL died, her one of her granddaughters pulled out her iconic recipe for salmon cakes and egg sauce (very unappealing to me) in her beautiful handwriting. She sent it somewhere that blew it up and put it on canvas. Now the granddaughter has it on display in her kitchen. Lovely idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
What a great idea!
After my MIL died, her one of her granddaughters pulled out her iconic recipe for salmon cakes and egg sauce (very unappealing to me) in her beautiful handwriting. She sent it somewhere that blew it up and put it on canvas. Now the granddaughter has it on display in her kitchen. Lovely idea!
Great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My goal for 2017 is to "stay on task" for the Christmas Card Challenge every month. I did it (mostly!) in 2015, then in 2016 didn't get it done.

I love to send out Christmas cards but I must make them first and the challenge is a great way to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 12:56 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Like everyone else here, I need to stop buying stuff so I can whittle my stash down. I do want to finish our Colorado Mountain Biking trip album and continue to work on cards.

I splurged and bought the new Workbox 3.0, so hubby & I are putting it together. We just have to finish the center section tonight & then I think all the pieces will attach together. I have to take photos.

That being said, my biggest goal in '17 is to organize the workbox, the rest of my craft room and KEEP IT THAT WAY! I promised Tom that when I bought the workbox, the room would definitely stay neat.

I expect to start posting goodies for sale either on this board or on Ebay (in a big lot) and help pay for it!!!

Great goals ladies, let's keep each other accountable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 04:13 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2017 goals:

Daily memory keeping using a Plum Paper planner

Journaling using a Hobonichi Techo Cousin. I will also work on OLW in the Cousin

More intentional purchasing and less buying "because it's cute". I've done a pretty good job this year but I know (by looking at this year's purchases) I could do better.

Continue to work on organizing and purging. Those Kallax shelves need to be assembled and put to use.

Cards - it's always about the cards for me. 2017 goal is 1,000 cards for charitable causes. I fell short by about 200 cards this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Thank You!

I'm going to print off my goals and keep them visible in my craft studio!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

I first read that as, "I think we can all continue to ignore and support each other..."

And I had thought, huh, that's different, but you know, it's good in a way - to ignore someone who is out of line or annoying, etc. Then I re-read it and it's nicer how you said it.

(I'm exhausted and have very little sleep lately. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
mail stuff to people. period!!
A hearty "what she said." YES! Just that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

What a great thread! Thanks to the OP and all of you for sharing!

This past year I put some declutter rules into effect both in my clothes closet and craft supply closet: if I don't love it or really need it, it goes to someone else who could use it. Same rules for buying - must love it and really need it and be able to use it many diff ways.

My main goal for 2017 though is to put on my big girl panties. Not let other's opinions sway me when I know what is right (mostly health and food related) and not let myself waste time that could be better spent elsewhere.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
What a great thread! Thanks to the OP and all of you for sharing!

This past year I put some declutter rules into effect both in my clothes closet and craft supply closet: if I don't love it or really need it, it goes to someone else who could use it. Same rules for buying - must love it and really need it and be able to use it many diff ways.

My main goal for 2017 though is to put on my big girl panties. Not let other's opinions sway me when I know what is right (mostly health and food related) and not let myself waste time that could be better spent elsewhere.
Two things about that:
1) Why should anyone else's opinion about YOUR life carry more weight than your own?
2) I saw a magazine article years ago titled "Your opinion of me is none of my business". I never read the article (title was all I needed), but that's become something of a mantra for me over the years...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Thank you - your wording (#1) is like cold water to my face. Why indeed...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Keeping it to two goals and maybe I'll fulfill them:

1. Purge stuff I don't use anymore, especially dp.

2. Make two cards with the same supplies while they are out - need not be identical but would be more efficient and would get cards done for both my fundraiser and for myself to use.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Keeping it to two goals and maybe I'll fulfill them:

1. Purge stuff I don't use anymore, especially dp.

2. Make two cards with the same supplies while they are out - need not be identical but would be more efficient and would get cards done for both my fundraiser and for myself to use.
My plans exactly!
I'll make 6 cards to be well stocked for co-workers, family and friends... Plus, I have a couple of co-workers who buy my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

My 2017 crafting goal is to "start" scrapbooking. I became a stamper as I was trying to learn how to scrapbook in 2002. Now, 15 years later (which was already 25 years behind at 2002), I'm committing to, at least, dig out the pictures and organize them!!!
I have bought a variety of project life scrapbook sheet protectors so I have no excuses.

I did very well in 2016. I committed to unmounting the remaining 140 SU wood stamp sets of my 400 sets collection. I completed that in June. I had started unmounting in 2011.
Then I picked a smaller goal for the remainder of 2016: to use up all the old wire works that SU sold years ago. I made over 60 star wire ornaments with small glass beads (already had these, too). I finally used up all 2 boxes of wire. Sent these to every family member and friend. I'm getting some positive feedback on them, too. I'm attaching a picture of the supplies and final product. I found the idea on Pinterest.

I love having all my stamps sets unmounted. I'm going to love my future scrapbooks, too.

Good Luck to everyone and Happy Stampin'!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Crafty Goals for 2017-thumb_dscn5269_1024.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Heart

As a newbie to card making, scrapbooking and water colouring, I want to learn, learn, learn in 2017. I am quickly finding out what techniques work with my bits and bobs.

I also want to build up some interesting stamps and supplies, but I am aiming to do that frugally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
My 2017 crafting goal is to "start" scrapbooking. I became a stamper as I was trying to learn how to scrapbook in 2002. Now, 15 years later (which was already 25 years behind at 2002), I'm committing to, at least, dig out the pictures and organize them!!!
I have bought a variety of project life scrapbook sheet protectors so I have no excuses.

I did very well in 2016. I committed to unmounting the remaining 140 SU wood stamp sets of my 400 sets collection. I completed that in June. I had started unmounting in 2011.
Then I picked a smaller goal for the remainder of 2016: to use up all the old wire works that SU sold years ago. I made over 60 star wire ornaments with small glass beads (already had these, too). I finally used up all 2 boxes of wire. Sent these to every family member and friend. I'm getting some positive feedback on them, too. I'm attaching a picture of the supplies and final product. I found the idea on Pinterest.

I love having all my stamps sets unmounted. I'm going to love my future scrapbooks, too.

Good Luck to everyone and Happy Stampin'!!!
I really like these! One of my daughters probably has everything needed and is always looking for crafty things to do, so I'm going to forward your photo to her - thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #64  
Cardstock Collector

Heart 2017

Hi all, my goal for 2017 is to keep learning new things.I do a lot of card making
pottery sculpture,and some model making. I have just finished a tea shop in a catering kettle. I also do painting sometimes and would like to improve my water colouring.I am hoping to have a go at doing a miniature in a teacup before my 86th birthday in march.
I have learn't the term"fussy cutting" from you all and it sums it up very well
(I do a lot of it.) Thank you all for the different post's that I read, I find them interesting,informative and some times funny. Carry on all of you and make my 2017 as enjoyable as 2016. Happy New Year to all from Doseight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My goal for 2017 besides the ones mentioned (purging, not buying so much, sending more cards, etc., etc) is to figure out how to make cards using the technique "brayering color on one side of an embossing folder" look like all the beautiful samples. I cannot seem to do this to make it look like the lovely examples. My project for sure
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the comment on the star ornaments, gregzgurl.
Hope your daughter has fun making them.
Happy Stampin'!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #67  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My goal is to "complete" my organization, BUT I need some advice.
I have stamped every stamp I have (near 5,000). Each is on a 3x5 card with the name of the set--some more than once--and filed by the theme i.e leaves, flowers, frames, thank you, happy birtday, Christmas, etc. these are in two double fridge bins. Many have sub categories if I have 5 or more of the same like thank you, merry christmas, birds, etc.
I have a colored dot on the sets that tells me its main theme. i.e. Red -christmas, pink.- flowers, tan- words, blue- birthdays, light blue- backgrounds, etc.
I love the system. I can find what I want in seconds. The right size--the right font, etc.

Here is the glitch. I labeled them by set name and now know I should have used a number. Just too many to start all over.

Getting them back on the shelves or in their bins in some order to easily find again is the challenge. Alphabetically, is time consuming and wastes space. Cling stamps and those removed from wood blocks are in DVD cases along with SU sets. Clear stamps are on stamped and laminated sheets or original acetate in pockets in bins.
Now SCSs your challenge, should you choose to do so, is to help me with a doable system to organize the sets to be put back and found again easily. Happy Crafting would be mine in 2017 if I could conquer this. My goal is to be a Happy Crafter! Help please-your collective super minds must surely be able to solve this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

P.S. to first post. Yes, I am a bit compulsive. Not LOL. It is a curse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
I have stamped every stamp I have (near 5,000). Each is on a 3x5 card with the name of the set--some more than once--and filed by the theme i.e leaves, flowers, frames, thank you, happy birtday, Christmas, etc. these are in two double fridge bins. Many have sub categories if I have 5 or more of the same like thank you, merry christmas, birds, etc.
I have a colored dot on the sets that tells me its main theme. i.e. Red -christmas, pink.- flowers, tan- words, blue- birthdays, light blue- backgrounds, etc.
I love the system. I can find what I want in seconds. The right size--the right font, etc.

Here is the glitch. I labeled them by set name and now know I should have used a number. Just too many to start all over.

Getting them back on the shelves or in their bins in some order to easily find again is the challenge. Alphabetically, is time consuming and wastes space. Cling stamps and those removed from wood blocks are in DVD cases along with SU sets. Clear stamps are on stamped and laminated sheets or original acetate in pockets in bins.
Now SCSs your challenge, should you choose to do so, is to help me with a doable system to organize the sets to be put back and found again easily. Happy Crafting would be mine in 2017 if I could conquer this. My goal is to be a Happy Crafter! Help please-your collective super minds must surely be able to solve this.
I'm purging my wood mount stamps down to fit in 2 - 6 drawer rolling storage carts. I'm letting go of images that I haven't used in years and not in luv with... My clear/cling stamps will be stored in clear pockets and labeled by category and numbered held in a double acrylic storage tray... I find I can do more with less rubber stamps since I use die cuts and have an electronic die cutting machine... that's my plan and i'm sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I'm purging my wood mount stamps down to fit in 2 - 6 drawer rolling storage carts. I'm letting go of images that I haven't used in years and not in luv with... My clear/cling stamps will be stored in clear pockets and labeled by category and numbered held in a double acrylic storage tray... I find I can do more with less rubber stamps since I use die cuts and have an electronic die cutting machine... that's my plan and i'm sticking to it.
Sounds like a great plan. I admire you for sticking with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #71  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelmacSparklesView Post
As a newbie to card making, scrapbooking and water colouring, I want to learn, learn, learn in 2017. I am quickly finding out what techniques work with my bits and bobs.

I also want to build up some interesting stamps and supplies, but I am aiming to do that frugally.
I've come to love Youtube for product tutorials and ideas... I shop my stash/supplies before I go out and spend money, but my wish list is never-ending, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #72  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 613 Likes on 432 Posts

I responded earlier, but I have one more, I need to organize my pictures! I have so many printed and then one memory cards and uploaded, I NEED to get them organized!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post

You said that you love the system and can find what you want in seconds, so I'm assuming that you don't want to overhaul it, just tweak it a bit... Since you already have colored dots on the sets, why not just write a number on the dots? Then you could have a cross-reference: Red #1 is "Merry and Bright", Red #2 is "Beautiful Season", etc. On the cards in your fridge bins, you could just write the number of the set next to the name on the card. Yes, it will take a while to write numbers on all the cards, but this is the quickest way I could think of to accomplish the task. Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Great thread! I have three goals that I want to work on this year.

1. Participate in at least one challenge each week either here on SCS or on challenge blogs.

2. Use stamps and embellishments that I have forgotten about and if I'm not loving them again, let them bring joy to someone else.

3. Make some my own creations without looking at SCS or Pinterest first. I tend to be more of a CASEr and want to stretch my own creativity a bit. I did it before the internet and I'm sure I can do it again! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

My goal is going to be to try and makes some of the PINs I keep PINNING!!! It's so crazy...I keep pinning things I really like but I seem to fail at accomplishing them. So hopefully 2017 will be the year I actually do some!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
My goal is going to be to try and makes some of the PINs I keep PINNING!!! It's so crazy...I keep pinning things I really like but I seem to fail at accomplishing them. So hopefully 2017 will be the year I actually do some!
I so agree with this - I pin so many things I'd like to CASE and never go back and look at them! I think I'll add that to my New Year resolutions!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I so agree with this - I pin so many things I'd like to CASE and never go back and look at them! I think I'll add that to my New Year resolutions!
Like many of you I luv Pinterest. I'll pin card ideas but I go back and pick out the designs I want to incorporate in my current projects. Print the images and save them to my idea binder in protective sheets which I can remove and tack up on my inspiration board for reference...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Quote:

Could this be a Susan trait????? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #79  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
This is me! So this year I'm going to try and CASE some cards for the stamps that have never been used. It will be a struggle first quarter, because I have a ton of overtime staring me in the face. I really like this as an attainable goal for me though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #80  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I just want to brag a little. I went by Michael's today after the gym, and didn't buy a thing!
The Christmas stuff was marked 60% off, and I put two things in my cart, but put them back. I'm pretty sure they were 75% off last week!

Then I walked around the crafts, hot my fix, but bought nothing! Yeah!!!
Reply With Quote Likes