Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronaSueView Post
I did not say I was opposed to or in favor of this. I merely said I had never thought to look for dies on Amazon. And I ordered one set. You don't have to order if you are opposed to it.
This reminds me of the Creative Memories days when their consultants were all up in arms about the Westrim albums that were sold online, at Michaels, at JoAnns, etc. Oh Creative Memories was going after them. Oh there were lawsuits. None of that happened. In fact, Creative Memories went under. I guess they have a new owner now. I am not sure.
I am not interested in debating whether this is ethical. We all have our own ideas of what is ethical. I am only stating that most crafters are on a budget and those prices are hard to resist. Especially when one invests in a stamp and die set for $50+ and it retires in six months.
To each their own.
I have read many, many posts on my crafting/card making Facebook sites of people that order the knock off dies and stamp sets from china, many have stated that the dies don't fit the stamp sets and stamps don't stamp correctly. So therefore they are out the money spend on these knock offs that could have been spent with the original manufactures. Yes Stampin up is getting very pricey with both dies and stamps sets and the bundles are totally out of my price range. I also don't care if a stamp set retires because I have ventured out into other American manufactures for my stamps and dies that are affordable to me.

If I really want a stamp set and matching die set I save a small amount of money weekly say $7-!0. And I plan on a purchase very wisely. I don't have to have any stampings supplies, I want them. That is the difference with me, being on a one income pay.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lesliespringer:
Angelnorth (08-14-2021), bzzzeee (08-13-2021), Ragtop (08-14-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,168 Likes on 501 Posts

Well since die have bought anything in Michael’s in a few years now I have cricut But I still love my stamp too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #123  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronaSueView Post
Especially when one invests in a stamp and die set for $50+ and it retires in six months.
I buy things which I like and which fill a gap in my stash. If they retire soon afterwards, that doesn't matter to me. I'd always thought that products staying current only matters to those who need to demo or sell current items, and that the constant turnover of current products going retired (but of course still available on ebay and suchlike) only benefits the suppliers who are trying to drum up trade. Do non-demos feel differently about the things which they own retiring? Genuine question, I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (08-22-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #124  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
I buy things which I like and which fill a gap in my stash. If they retire soon afterwards, that doesn't matter to me. I'd always thought that products staying current only matters to those who need to demo or sell current items, and that the constant turnover of current products going retired (but of course still available on ebay and suchlike) only benefits the suppliers who are trying to drum up trade. Do non-demos feel differently about the things which they own retiring? Genuine question, I'm curious.
Like you, I buy what most appeals to me, and since I’m not a demo it really doesn’t matter to me if a stamp set or die retires. My craft budget is limited so I choose new products carefully, and think about how much I will actually use whatever catches my eye. I’m really good at talking myself out of things! I no longer buy In Colors because at some point coordinating products aren’t available, otherwise the fact that they retire wouldn’t matter to me. Most of my purchases now are cool new tools or cardstock since I almost always have a stamp set similar to something new. Right now I have one of the cut and emboss folders on my wish list. It’s expensive and a stretch for me, so if I was a demo I’m not sure I’d buy it unless I was certain I could sell enough of them (4-5) to cover my cost in case it became obsolete. Since I’m just a customer, I won’t mind if it retires. Thanks for the interesting question!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by bzzzeee:
fl_beachbum (08-15-2021), Stampnnatter (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #125  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I've never been a demo so retired products are just as good as current ones. In fact, some of my favorite sets are older ones. I buy for the theme and style, and pay no attention to whether they are current or not. I can understand how demonstrators have to stay current though, and can't clutter their stash with things they can't sell anymore
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kazeka:
lesliespringer (08-14-2021), Stampnnatter (08-13-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #126  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

"Especially when one invests in a stamp and die set for $50+ and it retires in six months."

What does it matter to you if you already own a stamp & die and then it is retired? Sometimes irritates me when I find a stamp that has been retired and I'd like to buy it! But if you own it...why would you care?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2021, 03:36 AM   #127  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also from New Zealand, and have noticed most of our bigger craft stores don't seem to stock much traditional papercraft products anymore. I buy most of my stuff online now either from a seller here in NZ or from Scrapbook.com.

As for the ********** debate,at one point I was into buying heaps from there, because I could get them cheap. But I started realising that apart from the quality issue (some are actually great, some terrible - you don't know until you get it though), I feel terrible for the legitimate manufacturers who are trying to stay afloat in the current climate. So as I have built up a good stash of crafting products over the years, I realise I don't NEED anything, and would rather save up for something genuine. Yes it's expensive, but I know that the products I buy from good companies will last a long time, and I feel that I am supporting the industry to stay afloat.

I actually just re-signed up as a Stampin Up demo to get the extra product in their promotion. I won't be selling, and there are actually few things in the current catalogue I actually like, so am choosy with what I buy. I am not into trends, I buy what I like and what fills the gaps in my stash. I have stamps and dies and papers years old and still use. I don't care if stuff retires, I buy stuff for me, not to sell so it doesn't bother me.

As my family and life changes over the years, what I like changes too. So if I don't use something anymore, I'll sell it. I have teenage children now, so much of the little kids stuff just isn't used. I still like a lot of it, but some just sits there, so I'll purge it so I can fill in those gaps with stuff I need for teens and adults. I haven't bought any new christmas stuff this year as I have so much of it already.

It's hard for everyone in this climate. Covid has caused shipping delays worldwide (my Stampin up starter kit has only just been sent after 2 weeks, and only then partially). Prices have increased, supplies are harder to get. I think a lot of people are really prioritising what they really want/need so are buying less overall. And less demand equals less supply.

I guess in that huge ramble what I'm trying to say is that we are all impacted right now, it's hard and expensive. Priorities are changing. I am glad that I have the supplies I do as I don't feel I have to buy everything that comes out. If for any reason I can't afford it, I have enough to last me many more years. And I'm grateful for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by mitch1:
bzzzeee (08-15-2021), ChrisO (08-22-2021), fl_beachbum (08-15-2021), lynnewithane (08-15-2021), Stampnnatter (08-15-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #128  
Inking Addict

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I am coming from a different point of view... 1st about Michael's - since shutdowns - I DO see that they are emphasizing "family" crafting. I am sure a lot of mom's out there with kids at home, were not able to craft as much - or looking for ideas to keep their kids busy....

I have been a digital scrapbook designer since 2006. I have only done a few paper scrapbook LOs - which I found very difficult since I don't have a LOT of supplies - like I do digitally.... LOL. When I first came here - I was also doing a lot of digital designs and sharing. I would even do hybrid, where I would print out my designs and make into physical cards etc.

Almost 1 year ago, I stepped down as a digital scrapbook designer as my husband was getting ready to deploy and I knew I would not have the time to do much.... Well recently, I felt a little more settled about my time, or lack thereof and decided to do more card making etc. I have owned Cricut machines for awhile now (explore Air, Maker 1), plus easy presses and recently a Cricut Joy. I did get it to make "sticker Labels" for my kitchen. I also had my eye on the new Printmaker Printer.... So I did purchase them both at Michaels recently. I love having my machines and not have to have a lot of stamps etc..... we have always been tight on space (ie my forum name)....

I am still a designer - no matter the craft, I am either re-designing a pattern or making my own up.... I LOVE tweaking.... Last night, I saw a challenge that included a sunflower... well a few weeks ago, I "painted" a watercolor one on my iPad Pro - I am a graphic designer.... I can't wait to print it out and will probably have my Cricut Maker "cut" it out - but I do have really good paper scissors, cutters.... I DID want to get the smaller pads of cardstock at Michaels but they no longer sell them.... I am taking my craft stuff up and downstairs every day right now. SO for card making I don't need to have the big sheets of cardstock with me. I did cut 1 sheet of every color of cardstock - card sized.... boy do I have a lot of colors!!!

I AM a paper artist using a Cricut machine - I just don't have to have a ton of stamps etc to do my craft... But some of the challenges here are a lot of embossing and I want to see how I can do that with what I have. I do have a debossing and engraving tools for my Cricut maker which I not made - so I need to learn how to do this. I have been having fun adding some mixed media - to my cards - ie watercolor markers, alcohol markers (not used yet).... chalk etc.... I am loving the results. I have also had my Cricut Joy - "draw" and cut - so kind of like what you do with your stamps.... then I colored it in with my markers etc

So from the digital scrapbook designer side of me. I have been doing that for long enough to see the craft explode to becoming almost obsolete. I have 9 children 33-14y.... My 2nd older at 31 has a much busier - chosen life style than I ever did at that age. 20-30s are a lot busier doing it "all" - a lot don't have time to craft.... it's not a priority or desire???

I also am not a card giver - I have "planned" to give a card, but no time at the last minute to make one, since I am rushing around getting things done for my family get together LOL. But this past week - I have been making cards ahead of time - to give out to my family. I hope to do a LOT more of that as well..... So I hope to keep doing a lot more of the challenges here!!! regularly - one thing I won't be dividing my time to digital scrapbook designing!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 02:48 AM   #129  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Momof9Blessings- I agree with you that Michael's is concentrating on kids crafts right now. I do think some of the decisions they are making are bad. The kid centric crafting is very smart for any store to adopt as a marketing strategy. Look at all the budding artists that are going to come out of this and all the cool things they are going to bring to the industry when they start having their own lil' ones. Hobby Lobby is really kid centric right now too. I see a lot of parents in Hobby Lobby buying more craft kits for their kids than all the years I have been shopping there. It's fun to see. I love seeing that light in their eyes as they find the things that inspire them. The Winter before Covid I was talking to a Mom who was buying items for her daughter's school project. She told me how expensive it was. I was helping her cut costs without cutting quality on the project. Fast forward to 2021 I see parents now actually budgeting as part of their monthly income for their children's craft projects. Not even three years ago a school budget for the month looked a lot different than it is today. Back in the day a project could hurt a parent's income for the month. Now, parent's have a completely different school budget. I am sure it's surreal to them. Thank gosh for the craft stores for being kid centric right now. Note- I see all of this on my frugality forums. My expertise is frugality trends and forecasts. We have been talking about this a lot on my frugality forum. I think this thread is a very interesting read.

I am a graphic artist too with very similar style/design habits as yours. I related to a lot of things in your post. I am always, always recreating everything digitally before I try the original traditional method. My results make me happy & content. My printer's & digital cutter's are my most used tools. I have been a digital artist for a couple of decades now. I have had decent success. Digital will always be my first love.

I am a stamper. I have been since I was a child. I am not a child anymore, lol. I found out from one of the ladies here I am not what is considered a traditional stamper but a stationery stamper. I am very happy with that label. I can see it. I am not buying stamps like traditional stampers or even understand the buying patterns of traditional stampers.

When I hear stories such as the big box stores don't carry a lot of stamps. I don't really see it because I can still find things. I definitely can see where a traditional stamper would be extremely frustrated by the lack of options.

Paper crafting is evolving. Some of us need to admit it we are having trouble evolving with it. We are ageing out of a lot of the new trends because so many of us have our set style or getting to the age it's not that important to us anymore to keep up with everyone. I actually see more stationery stampers in the Gen Z group. I love the new card designers who have totally different techniques that will never be shown over here because they are using different mediums. They are so inspiring. The younger generation has a new social media formats to showcase their creations and keep their own content control. Back in the heyday of paper crafting I will admit it I hated it. Just hated it. It was so commercialized, competitive & it was about big money and not a lot of creative freedom. The design team's were overwhelming. I will never ever forget the day my friend told me how much she made designing cards for the design team members because they didn't have time to make the cards for their own teams, lol. I was so happy for my friend. She was making thousands a month doing that. I thought the industry grew too big for it's own good. I thought to myself one day one company is going to swoop down and buy all those companies and there will be no more of that. It happend with American Craft's. I love paper crafting now it's so inspiring, free and lack of competition. The only thing I don't like about it is all the influencing. I do understand it. It's not my thing and easily to turn off. Plus, there is so much content now I don't need to watch the influencers. I have noticed the influencer's don't seem to compete against each other. Probably too busy with running their business. I am always blown away that the work of an influencer is a thirteen hour a day job. They work hard, the good ones do, lol.

We complain about companies taking over like American Craft's. I actually love it. Sure, I will miss the days of the great paper lines like Sassafrass Lass. I love that American Craft's has consolidated this hobby so much that it now reaches so many. Paper crafting for a long time felt like it was an elitist hobby. I know when I told people I made cards not even ten years ago I would get that look like I had to much time on my hands. Now when people find out I make cards they ask if I do commissions and do I have a Cricut to make vinyl creations for them. I am loving the change.

I still love a lot of the old things in paper crafting. I love paper and always will. I love digital paper more! Digital stamps are everything. I love to draw on my Cricut Joy too. I bought the Joy for paper piecing and I am spending so much time drawing things with it, lol. I think that is so funny. I had to play with the pen that came with the Joy and now I am obsessed. I love to go to Hobby Lobby. I only go three-four times a year now. I miss Michael's sometimes. I don't live close too it and it's not worth going for my art style any more. Fifteen years ago when I was going to Hobby Lobby it was always the stamp aisle. Now, when I go to Hobby Lobby it's home decor and then stickers. I collect stickers even though I am make most of my own. I love going to the sticker aisle to get inspired to make stickers. I will go down the stamp aisle and maybe get one stamp like a unicorn. I am not interested. I will buy packs of different kinds of cardstock to die cut and print on. I fit the whole profile of crafting going into a new direction.

I was watching one of my YT girls the other day. She was doing a walkthrough of her Wal-Mart's crafting department. She was like "Look, WalMart is upping their stamping game!" Her WalMart had so many stamps from good companies. I was really blown away. Definitely stamping is not going anywhere. It's changing in good ways.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #130  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LSS -> Local Stamp Store

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmhansonView Post
I have never heard of LSS... where is one? I live in Central Texas. Do they sell online? I'll have to Google that one...
You folks were kind to enlighten me - see... I live where there is no such thing. The only store we have is an hour away. I do better in a Tuesday Morning than in a Michael's or Joanne's. We have a Hobby Lobby about 45 minutes away, and they have paper, but not much in the way of stamps, less in dies, and the punches they have (mmmm... me loves punches) are the same old basic shapes. Hmph!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 05:29 AM   #131  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting no one mentions E Bay as a source of craft supplies. I'm sure there are plenty of the cheap knock-offs there, but in Australia at least, there are some good long-term Ebay sellers selling branded products for stamping and papercraft.

Last edited by AussieJenny; 08-31-2021 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #132  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevelind2000View Post
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a wonderful Toomuchfun Promotions' Rubber Stamp and Scrapbook Getaways coming to Ft Wayne, IN, on October 1 & 2, and Sevierville, TN, (near Pigeon Forge) on October 15 & 16, 2021. Great shopping and lots of vendor demos. Advance two day tickets only $6.00. All details may be viewed at toomuchfunpromotions.com So, lets gather all our friends and plan a road trip to an actual fun and creative show!
I went to this show 2 years ago in Sevierville and had the best time. I went by myself and took a class or two and it was great! Learned many new techniques. I was hoping to go again this year but I have arthritis in my thumbs so I am not able to go.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Stevelind2000 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:39 AM   #133  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoky Mt. October Stamp & Scrapbook Show

Hi Sherri,

Great to hear you enjoyed the show. I hear the fun event is always the third weekend in October every year in Sevierville, TN! I hope to see you there when all your friends when you're feeling better.

Steve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #134  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Just my two cents.

I would ignore the "retired" issue unless you are a demo and need to stay current. I can't even think how many stamps I have from MANY companies that are discontinued now....not just SU. Not to mention companies that have closed completely....who cares? If I like the thing and I am using it...I don't care what its status is.

If one is concerned about pricing...think about giving yourself a use goal for a set. Let's say the 50 dollar set mentioned...I use a $5/card system since that is about all I want to spend if I had to buy one.....
So that means I need to make 10 cards with the set (but I don't have to use all the pieces-I could use just one stamp) to break even. After that it's cream. No guilt. AND I got all the fun for free now. (shrug). The faster you do it, the faster you can relax about it.

One of the things is that SU sets can actually hold value or go UP on ebay after they retire so if you want to re-sell it back or even get 1/3 - 1/2 of what you paid having used it....but unless you have enough sets to make getting involved with ebay/etsy worth it....we sell stuff here all the time. I have gotten a number of SU things discounted here

Yes this is not a cheap hobby. Why I live in the clearance bins and am usually VERY behind the trend curve. But again....if I like a set, I don't care if it was 20 trends ago. Percentage wise...the vast majority of people I give cards to-would have NO freaking idea of what is "on trend" anyway. Not like clothes fashion where we all see it around us all the time.

Plus...a new thing like say...Lawn Fawn's current IRIS series is expensive in the now...but a year from now in clearance...whoot! I never got to play with the IRIS so it would be all new to me and fun.

As for knockoffs...again sad for the creators. Maybe think of it this way...would you want your work being farmed out and not seeing anything for it? Let's say you worked on a hard research project in the office for 3 months right? And you submit it to the boss. And....

a) they take credit for it OR
b) they never tell anyone it is your work-credit just goes to the dept as a whole OR
c) someone else in the office uses your research for something of theirs and gets a bonus or promotion out of it OR
d) they refuse your design but it suddenly pops up over in China and someone is making money on it. (a new can opener or whatever)

See what I mean? Of course it is the money...but it is also just someone else taking YOUR stuff/work and using it without your permission and profiting in some way-money, fame, promotions...whatever.

But also we get what we pay for and as was said...those things are cheaply made too often. I don't know myself bc I have not done it yet. (no judgement here-just talking) Imho better to decide do I REALLY need 20 dog stamps? (generic breeds) If I want new ones...am I ready to let go of old ones? Have I changed techniques and will never go back to some old one and can clear the product I got for it?

There is a reason why the big bloggers are constantly putting together give away priority boxes of product-they don't have room for it either but they HAVE to keep working with the river of product coming at them. LOL One day I would like to see someone like McGuire do one on product she has that is more than....3-5 years old. Part of me thinks it might be only a handful-or she might shock me.

Most industries have trends. Some are more subtle...others more in your face. Stuff gets re-churned a dozen times...how many Batman origin movies or Little Women are we going to get? Used to be they would wait 10 plus years...now they wait 3.

But if we were all stuck just doing the same thing we were doing 20 years ago...as much as I LOVE heat embossing, I don't think it is all I would want to be able to do. So I am glad for new products and techniques and am patient to wait for it to go on sale. Or I can figure out a way to do it at low cost. I have stencils....I just need a paste or a couple of inks. I don't need all new to do it. Or maybe I completely hack it. Some would say that is actually MORE creative.

Wow that turned into more like a dollar than 2 cents LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by wavejumper:
allee's (09-08-2021), bzzzeee (09-08-2021), Chris4436 (09-10-2021), ChrisO (09-08-2021), DianeinSparks (09-08-2021), kazeka (03-15-2022), lesliespringer (09-08-2021), Stampnnatter (09-08-2021), TeeGeeDee (09-18-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #135  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJennyView Post
Interesting no one mentions E Bay as a source of craft supplies. I'm sure there are plenty of the cheap knock-offs there, but in Australia at least, there are some good long-term Ebay sellers selling branded products for stamping and papercraft.
Ooh! I use EBay all the time! I'm currently waiting for a stamp to arrive from an EBay-er. I also buy Clear Embossing Powder in bulk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2022, 08:31 PM   #136  
Pearl-ExPert

I just recently stopped by my local Michael's Craft store after a dentist visit, and was just shocked to find that they have stopped carrying the large paper stacks (like DCWV, etc) completely. I browsed the aisles and saw a smattering of stamping supplies, and almost no ink pads except for Tim Holtz. They stopped carrying dies last year, and the pickings were slimmer and slimmer for everything except home decor, seasonal decorations and projects, and picture frames. They do still have a decent art supply section, but not a lot of manufacturers.

I understand that some of the crafts that drew me in years ago are not as popular anymore, like scrapbooking, and that a lot of stampers are using digi stamps and electronic die cut machines. But I can't believe there was nothing that interested me at all! They didn't even have the type of glue I wanted, nor did they sell any adhesive runners or guns. I thought, at first, that they were going out of business! The shelves were full of knick knacks, ready made decorative plaques, fake flowers,
supplies for cake decorating, and the only card stock that I saw were their store brand. I don't know if all the stores are similar, or if the one in my area has had a hard time keeping stock moving, but it was sad.

I bought a pack of small silver doilies on sale, and left...which is just as well, since I don't need more stuff anyway. I couldn't even get excited about the holiday kids craft supplies for my grandkids, because it looked all the same.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kazeka:
hoptownracer1 (03-15-2022), Scrapjanny (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 04:52 AM   #137  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I had a similar experience. I was given a gift card for Michael’s, and went home without buying anything. I couldn’t believe it! Of course, I have stopped buying yarn, 🧶 since I have enough to last the rest of my life.
But, I thought I might find some embellishments I wanted. Or some Hot Buys. There were two HB paper pads on clearance. I picked up Key West, and didn’t care for the other one. There were no current HB at all. I was wondering if they are doing away with Hot Buys. Or, it could be a supply chain issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #138  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Michael's

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I just recently stopped by my local Michael's Craft store after a dentist visit, and was just shocked to find that they have stopped carrying the large paper stacks (like DCWV, etc) completely. I browsed the aisles and saw a smattering of stamping supplies, and almost no ink pads except for Tim Holtz. They stopped carrying dies last year, and the pickings were slimmer and slimmer for everything except home decor, seasonal decorations and projects, and picture frames. They do still have a decent art supply section, but not a lot of manufacturers.

I understand that some of the crafts that drew me in years ago are not as popular anymore, like scrapbooking, and that a lot of stampers are using digi stamps and electronic die cut machines. But I can't believe there was nothing that interested me at all! They didn't even have the type of glue I wanted, nor did they sell any adhesive runners or guns. I thought, at first, that they were going out of business! The shelves were full of knick knacks, ready made decorative plaques, fake flowers,
supplies for cake decorating, and the only card stock that I saw were their store brand. I don't know if all the stores are similar, or if the one in my area has had a hard time keeping stock moving, but it was sad.

I bought a pack of small silver doilies on sale, and left...which is just as well, since I don't need more stuff anyway. I couldn't even get excited about the holiday kids craft supplies for my grandkids, because it looked all the same.

Karen
Basically the same at my Michael's (SF Bay Area)....and has been for quite some time. Doing more & more online ordering but occasionally dropping into Joann's just to see something in person!
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #139  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I had a similar experience. I was given a gift card for Michael’s, and went home without buying anything. I couldn’t believe it! Of course, I have stopped buying yarn, 🧶 since I have enough to last the rest of my life.
But, I thought I might find some embellishments I wanted. Or some Hot Buys. There were two HB paper pads on clearance. I picked up Key West, and didn’t care for the other one. There were no current HB at all. I was wondering if they are doing away with Hot Buys. Or, it could be a supply chain issue.
Mine had no Hot Buy paper pads at all, so I asked about them. The saleperson didn't even know what I was talking about! I told him that I had been purchasing them for years..and bought two of the 12x12 Hot Buy pads in December. He told me that they aren't carrying them anymore. Once they were cleared out, that was it! I can understand them decreasing their 12x12 pads if scrapbooking isn't as popular anymore, but I used to use those large pads to make envelopes, and to die cut favor boxes etc. They didn't have any small pads either, except for a handful of 6x6 ones.
It was so strange, and the clerk could give me no reason for the change. He actually acted as if they had never carried anything like that in the past.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #140  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Mine had no Hot Buy paper pads at all, so I asked about them. The saleperson didn't even know what I was talking about! I told him that I had been purchasing them for years..and bought two of the 12x12 Hot Buy pads in December. He told me that they aren't carrying them anymore. Once they were cleared out, that was it! I can understand them decreasing their 12x12 pads if scrapbooking isn't as popular anymore, but I used to use those large pads to make envelopes, and to die cut favor boxes etc. They didn't have any small pads either, except for a handful of 6x6 ones.
It was so strange, and the clerk could give me no reason for the change. He actually acted as if they had never carried anything like that in the past.
Karen
Wow.. Well, that answers that question. I’m sure I have enough of those beautiful papers to last me a few years, but they’re always fun to look at.
It is odd that they didn’t know what you were talking about.

Last edited by lynnewithane; 03-17-2022 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #141  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

My Michael's in Maryland has very little stamping merchandise, but I've been told that they are in their annual re-set period -- after a difficult holiday season thanks to supply chain issues that delivered many goods after the holidays. I'm hoping against hope that they'll bring back at least a few favorite items later in the year after last year's issues settle down.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
kazeka (03-16-2022), lynnewithane (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #142  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to be on three design teams but now only one. I use to go into Michaels for some craft supplies but noticed over the years, Michael hasn't kept my interests in their limited paper craft products and found better prices elsewhere especially at Joann's with their coupons. Noticed not as many customers in Michael's stores anymore so I foresee this company going bankrupt. My friends haven't bought Stampin Up stamps and dies for a few years and see these Stamping Up sets often at thrift stores for a dollar or less as well as in garage sales. I bought dies from Ali Express but a few companies didn't send the dies and some of Ali Express companies were scammers so couldn't get my money back from Ali Express so I don't use Ali Express except for exception craft items at very low prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #143  
Mad Swapper

Received 496 Likes on 164 Posts

It’s amusing that with new ownership, Michaels has no problems bombarding me with multiple emails per day that make it sound like they have the 'latest and greatest in papercrafting and creativity', yet when I visit my local store it is clear they have been roped in as just another NBC (Nothing But Cricut) affiliate. It's not really supply chain issues for me—I totally get that impact— but their Rewards program is a joke, and useful coupons are pretty much nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisO:
fl_beachbum (03-17-2022), lesliespringer (03-17-2022), Ragtop (03-17-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:33 AM   #144  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Karen
Karen, I totally agree! Michaels used to be my go to store but not anymore. They hardly carry anything that I use anymore and I am so dissappointerd at the selection of craft items that they do carry. I resort to Amazon for most of my items now. I don't get to "touch" them befoe I buy them but at least I get free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #145  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOView Post
when I visit my local store it is clear they have been roped in as just another NBC (Nothing But Cricut) affiliate.
NBC - I like that, very descriptive
I'm in New Zealand, where there's one main (Australian-owned) craft chain. That is heading towards NBC status; one out of three aisle sides devoted to papercraft at the local store is wall to wall Cricut. I was lucky enough to snag their one and only Sizzix Switch Plus earlier this week (not on display, hidden out the back, hence 'invisible' to anyone who hadn't checked their website first). There was - as on most of my visits in the last 6 months - nothing else of interest. Most of my craft spend now goes to a small online seller who imports the latest stuff and keeps her prices reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (03-18-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #146  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
My plea to you... Please don't purchase from companies who steal designs. Purchase elsewhere with legit companies so that designers are compensated and this industry stays in business.
I whole-heartedly AGREE with you!
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly China pirates Stampin' Up! products. They are available BEFORE our catalogs go live!! SU is an American company and since I live in this country and benefit from a robust economy, I NEVER purchase pirated products.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by sc magnolia:
lynnewithane (03-27-2022), Scrapjanny (03-27-2022), TexasGrammy (03-29-2022)