Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft fairs - are they really worth it?

I enjoy making cards. I always get lots of compliments on them from others. This got me wondering, though. If I were to do a few booths at craft fairs in the area, would I have a shot at making any money off of it? I realize there are lots of variables - cost of booth, marketing of fair, etc. But, for those who do sell at fairs, is it really profitable? If so, what do you do to make it so?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

In short..no. I don't think you will make much money in selling cards. I did have luck selling candy type gifts. I did receive alot of compliments...but as they walk away you hear " I could make that at home".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with Jamie's girl comment, No, they are not worth it. I've tried several times to sell cards and other hand made goods at craft fairs and didn't even recover my booth cost. A lot of work to pay to do it. The way I have consistently made a bit of money from selling my cards is I got into a local shop in town that carries my cards...they don't sell for much but they do sell and there is no overhead for me. I make $1.50 per card, which really isn't too bad. Maybe try that route....good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Great thread, I have often thought about doing a craft fair. Hubby keeps telling me to forget it because in our area people just won't pay for a handmade card. They would go to the dollar store and get 2/$1 first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Wow! Not sure if it is just the area that I am in (Cincinnati/No. Kentucky) or that fact that I don't sell just cards.....but I do really well at all the crafts fairs that I participate in! BUT...I only enter well established craft shows and have been doing them for a few years, so I kinda know what sells in my area.

I also get a lot of custom orders at my shows as well, so that also helps out a ton. I am a SAH mom so this is a huge outlet for me....I don't think that I could do this if I was working full time as well!

Not sure if I am helping you or not?
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Beth:

It must be the items that you sell because I also live here in Cincinnati and have nver been able to recoup my both costs at crafts fairs, including several established and well attended ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #7  

I have done a few booth shows (either craft shows, business shows or Farmer's Markets).
I don't sell a lot of anything. I do it to promote my Stampin' Up! business and to hope that by giving my business cards out I might get some business some day. I get a lot of compliments, but that doesn't put money in the pocket.

I have made more money selling cards to stores or having my friends or husband's co-workers buy them.

Some people do exceptionally well selling cards, etc., so I don't know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell HUGE amounts of cards..but it is not at craft fairs/sales. I dont think I would bother with them. Do you know any teachers or office workers who would take a basket for their desk to sell for you? My hubby keeps a basket on his desk and we normally make between $75.00 and $125.00 per week from the basket. The cards are $3.00 each. All are packaged in a clear envelope with a mailing envelope as well. Teachers are a great resource..I know several and through supplying them with baskets found two swim teams that I also supply with 1250 cards each Sept-Oct time frame to sell. This makes me a LOT of money in the fall...just before Christmas time...very nice. It would not be difficult to find some sports teams that need something for a fund raiser...I had no difficulty at all. You have all year to make cards and get them ready to go. The money I earn in the Fall for the two swim teams is way over $5000.00. It is a nice little sum to pay for Christmas and put in my fund to supply the postage etc for my troops ministry.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie's girlView Post
In short..no. I don't think you will make much money in selling cards. I did have luck selling candy type gifts. I did receive alot of compliments...but as they walk away you hear " I could make that at home".
IMO, cards don't sell well at craft fairs. I've had good experiences with jewelry items--not beaded but more "crafty" types of things.

In general, though, it's tough to make a profit at a craft fair. And by profit, I mean cover the table, cover all of your supplies, cover a FAIR HOURLY WAGE for both your time creating and your time sitting at the table... and then have income above that. Even that itsn't technically profit, it's selling at wholesale, since you couldn't halve your price in order to sell in a boutique and cover all of your costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Providing you keep your card prices around $3.00 you may do okay. Don't put a lot of time into them and use a lot of embellishments etc. Keep them simple. Also small things like bookmarks seem to do well from what I have observed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
In general, though, it's tough to make a profit at a craft fair. And by profit, I mean cover the table, cover all of your supplies, cover a FAIR HOURLY WAGE for both your time creating and your time sitting at the table
I try not to think about the cost of my time or the hourly wage....would never be able to re-coup that! :rolleyes: Since I'm a SAHM, I don't have to try to figure in the work/life balance like a lot of crafters do.

I guess I should clarify what I mean when I say that I do well at my craft shows. I'm not looking to pay off my mortgage with my sales, but I do actually make a profit over and above supply costs and table fees by the end of the season. I enjoy the actual experience of the craft show and have made some lifetime friends at our local events which I look forward to seeing every year. (We all try to get our booths next to each other)

Will I be able to retire and move to Hawaii on the profits from my sales? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But I enjoy what I am doing and it keeps me sane! So far...I'm not losing money by doing craft shows, but I will never be rich by doing them either......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Default You might want to check out this thread...

craft sale best sellers? Let's make a listing! Please by margit at Splitcoaststampers

I have found a ton of useful info and great ideas from the ladies on this thread...I have actually steered clear of making cards for the craft shows...and I do more altered items or gifty ideas for the holidays...the thread is very very long, but if you have time and a notebook to jot down ideas, you may find some great ones here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Most of my customers are friends who give me repeat business. What I was thinking of doing this fall is hosting my own little event at my house. For the price of renting a table and the hassle of schlepping all my items to a show, I figure I can provide some nice tea and cake, wine and snacks, and enjoy the company of my friends, and hopefully get some sales and orders for the holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I've had mixed success at craft fairs. The best ones, for me, are the ones here on campus where I work. I consistently make my booth rental & a couple $100 (or more on years when we're not on mandatory furloughs!). Folks here know my work and I tend to sell lots of cards then. But I've learned to KISS (keep it simple, stupid!). Can't really recoup any more money for the heavily embellished cards than I can for the really simple, yet elegant or funny, ones. I also sell lots of bookmarks and altered items. In my market, the items selling for $5 or less are the biggest draw.

HOWEVER, I've had horrible luck at the other craft fair...it was in a senior development and I decided last Christmas that it would be my last. The little old ladies tend to think of this as a social event, not a time to buy things. The recurring theme from prospective clients was "honey, I just got RID of all my junk! Why would I want more??". Gee, thanks......

I like the idea of finding a niche at a local store or hairdresser's salon. I took Amber's suggestion and now have customers that come to my office to purchase cards from my basket (they sell for $4 ea. in my market). I also have a lot of recurring business selling personalized monogrammed notecard sets. I've sold 8 sets (usually of 8 cards per set) in the past month. Once they tell me the color scheme, I can make a set in just about an hour...maybe a little longer, depending on whether I add extra embellies. The 8-card sets sell for $20, smaller sets for less, but it works out to $2.50/card. They're really quick, though.

It's a fickle thing, craft fairs. Just remember you'll never recoup your time.....

Good luck,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

After posting here, yesterday I got an email from my Hubbys employer asking if I would provide them with birthday and anniversary cards for them to send to the employees. They average about 50 cards per month. I sell them for $3.00 each so can you say cha ching...? Who cant use an extra $150-#200 per month? Especially since my work hours just were cut down...more time to stamp...lol Some months there will be more they said. I am thinking of suggesting baby and sympathy as well...It amazes me sometimes how these opportunities just find me...
blessings.

Last edited by sprtchick; 08-11-2010 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: cant spell today :)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
After posting here, yesterday I got an email from my Hubbys employer asking if I would provide them with birthday and anniversary cards for them to send to the employees. They average about 50 cards per month. I sell them for $3.00 each so can you say cha ching...? Who cant use an extra $150-#200 per month? Especially since my work hours just were cut down...more time to stamp...lol Some months there will be more they said. I am thinking of suggesting baby and sympathy as well...It amazes me sometimes how these opportunities just find me...
blessings.
GREAT, Amber! When God closes a door, he usually opens a window....Congratulations on your new 'customer'!

Kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I am wondering, Amber, if you report your income. I'm not asking to get you in trouble, but it sounds like you make a decent amount of money in this business.
I know that people who do craft fairs say that they have to buy a license, which then requires them to pay taxes on what they sell. I'm wondering if you have to pay taxes if you don't make back the cost of the booth, much less your supplies.
I'm guessing that is you do fundraisers, they would have a tax free status.
Just curious as to how this all works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think craft shows can pay a little... little being the key word

My last show was in the spring and I sold a ton of cards. These are cards I made throughout the course of designing for my blog, publications, etc and not for the purpose of selling. Since I would have made the same cards even if there wasn't a craft show, I don't take into consideration the cost of supplies or my time. Selling them is pure profit in my eyes.

It's when I sell altered or gift type items that the profit gets sucked away, because these are things I don't normally make. And if I do make one, it's a one time thing - not multiples in different colors/themes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I have had very good success at craft fairs and have had zero success at events. My best fairs were ones that were promoted as craft/vendor shows where buying gifts was the main idea. "Ladies Night Out" events that mainly have direct sales companies are my worst events. The last one I did, I paid $25 for the fee, drove over an hour to get there, spent extra money making something for the goodie bags they gave out to the first 50 ladies, and I had no sales. There were tons of ladies there, but very few even looked at my cards. I had a nice sign, a neatly organized card rack, etc and ladies just walked right by. Oh well, I moved on. I won't do those events again.

At the good fairs, I have made new friends and customers. I have one lady who emails me about every 2 months and orders about 50 cards for me. They are for her, her mom, her grandma, and other family. Recently I made some blank "guy" cards for her, for when she sends care packages to her husband's unit in Iraq.

I would say, you don't really know how it will go until you try it. Good luck if you do.

Oh, I was going to say too, that I don't think about "paying for my time", as I love to make cards and normally make more than 1 when I do, so I have more to send out. I would make cards (in bulk) even if I wasn't selling them because it is fun to create with my hands (and mind), but getting paid to make them is a bonus!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
Great thread, I have often thought about doing a craft fair. Hubby keeps telling me to forget it because in our area people just won't pay for a handmade card. They would go to the dollar store and get 2/$1 first.

Sooooo.... you must live in SW VA! Same here!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I am wondering, Amber, if you report your income. I'm not asking to get you in trouble, but it sounds like you make a decent amount of money in this business.
I know that people who do craft fairs say that they have to buy a license, which then requires them to pay taxes on what they sell. I'm wondering if you have to pay taxes if you don't make back the cost of the booth, much less your supplies.
I'm guessing that is you do fundraisers, they would have a tax free status.
Just curious as to how this all works.
All companies keep detailed records of anything they buy and use them as tax deductions. Company tax returns are audited all the time. A person who sells to them would have to pay taxes on the money they earned or risk being hit with a penalty and back taxes.
These days States are watching these things more than ever since they all need money.

Years ago when I did 1 craft fair a year. I didn't need a license I just registered using my Social Security number. People who did several fairs did need a license. This may have changed since it was more than 20 years ago.
Most fairs are required to report the vendors names and numbers to their state. I then paid taxes the same way . I just gave all the records to my accountant and he did the rest.

I know you can't claim expenses that exceed your profits

If you make 50 things and only 25 of them sell then you can only claim the materials for those 25 items. I donated the unsold items to a fund raiser. When I donated things to a fund raiser I was able to take the cost of the materials ( not my time) as a tax deduction.

After a couple of years I stopped doing Craft Fairs. The time required to keep track of every spool of thread or yard of fabric and how much I used of it was more than it was worth to me

I would check with the person who does your taxes. If you do your own taxes then IRS can answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post

If you do your own taxes then IRS can answer your questions.
Not THAT'S funny! [and so true!]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Course, I'm biased (because I LOVE your cards!), but I think you might be surprised. Perhaps you could start small...my first sales were prompted by necessity (hubby laid off), and it took well over a year to establish a reputation in my small pond, but I made a point to give or mail my cards to as many folks as I could, for whatever reason. The point was to get my cards in their hot little hands (with my "Handcrafted especially for you" CARDS BY KAT and e-mail address clear sticker on the back, of course!). Soon I had folks asking about the handmade card, and I would give them one of my business cards (found really neat ones on the internet for next to nothing...business expense). I also invested in some magnet backs and made sure all my friends and business associates had one of my cards on their frig or file cabinet. Check out your church and/or your kids' schools, too. The office gals usually love handcrafted things! I priced low ($3) until they were 'hooked' and then raised my base price to $4, with more intricate cards, custom cards or ones with lots of embellishments going from $5-$6. Obviously, I'm not making any real money - everything I make gets plowed back into more supplies - but at least it's paying for my obsession! Eventually I followed Amber's suggestion and started marketing them from my office via a basket that I keep on a table in my office, stocked with birthday, thank you, baby, sympathy, anniversary, wedding, etc. Most weeks I make $20-$30, which is NOTHING compared to Amber's sales, but it comes in handy! I don't feel so guilty when I go to Michael's......

Even if lots of folks frequent the Dollar Tree for their .50 cards, you might be amazed at how many you could pull back from the Dark Side once they see your creativity!

My suggestion....start small. Check out your competition and see what they charge (I have no competition to speak of, which makes it easier in some ways, but harder to comparison shop), and give it a try. If nothing else, I enjoy my craft fair days immensely! Great fun talking to the customers, hearing their feedback and getting to know my booth-mates.

P.S. Small 'gifty' things sell quickly at fall craft fairs. I make a point to have things for teachers, hair dressers, postal workers, manicurists, etc. And table arrangement is crucial too. Build UP! One table isn't much room to display things, so use small boxes inside pillow cases to create height.

Good Luck! If you decide to take the plunge, let us know how it went!!

Last edited by kitkat55; 08-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: highlight didn't work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do keep pretty close tract of my card sales and report my income...with what I spend on supplies...and the Huge deduction I get from my chuch for the cards I donate to the bookstore it doesnt cost me anything in tax.

God is so good when you reach out to help others....

blessings.

Forgot to say...we were audited in 2008 and the auditor was awesome. I had ALL receipts and expenses as well as income. Our taxes were found by the auditor to be perfect. Most people have to pay something. It was not a bad experience. He said our records were perfect. If you dont cheat you dont need to fear an audit....

Last edited by sprtchick; 08-11-2010 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: additional info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Margaritaville - I wish, Southern Indiana for real, but a Parrothead at heart.

I usually do 4 craft fairs a year and really don't make a huge profit on the cards, my best money makers at craft fairs are coasters. But on the up side the best part of these fairs are seeing, first hand, a person's reaction to my cards (most of mine are humorous, snarky kinda cards) and I love to see the look on their faces & hear their laughter when they read the punch line. That makes it all worth it to me. I have 2 boutiques in Louisville, Ky and 1 in So. Indiana that have a cards rack of my cards in their stores (on a consignment arrangement) and that's where I make the bulk of my money on cards - but you just can't beat the instant gratification of watching those shoppers in person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
Course, I'm biased (because I LOVE your cards!), but I think you might be surprised. Perhaps you could start small...my first sales were prompted by necessity (hubby laid off), and it took well over a year to establish a reputation in my small pond, but I made a point to give or mail my cards to as many folks as I could, for whatever reason. The point was to get my cards in their hot little hands (with my "Handcrafted especially for you" CARDS BY KAT and e-mail address clear sticker on the back, of course!). Soon I had folks asking about the handmade card, and I would give them one of my business cards (found really neat ones on the internet for next to nothing...business expense). I also invested in some magnet backs and made sure all my friends and business associates had one of my cards on their frig or file cabinet. Check out your church and/or your kids' schools, too. The office gals usually love handcrafted things! I priced low ($3) until they were 'hooked' and then raised my base price to $4, with more intricate cards, custom cards or ones with lots of embellishments going from $5-$6. Obviously, I'm not making any real money - everything I make gets plowed back into more supplies - but at least it's paying for my obsession! Eventually I followed Amber's suggestion and started marketing them from my office via a basket that I keep on a table in my office, stocked with birthday, thank you, baby, sympathy, anniversary, wedding, etc. Most weeks I make $20-$30, which is NOTHING compared to Amber's sales, but it comes in handy! I don't feel so guilty when I go to Michael's......

Even if lots of folks frequent the Dollar Tree for their .50 cards, you might be amazed at how many you could pull back from the Dark Side once they see your creativity!

My suggestion....start small. Check out your competition and see what they charge (I have no competition to speak of, which makes it easier in some ways, but harder to comparison shop), and give it a try. If nothing else, I enjoy my craft fair days immensely! Great fun talking to the customers, hearing their feedback and getting to know my booth-mates.

P.S. Small 'gifty' things sell quickly at fall craft fairs. I make a point to have things for teachers, hair dressers, postal workers, manicurists, etc. And table arrangement is crucial too. Build UP! One table isn't much room to display things, so use small boxes inside pillow cases to create height.

Good Luck! If you decide to take the plunge, let us know how it went!!
Thanks so much You really have some great ideas listed and some that I didn't even think of! Funny, my husband's job isn't going that well either and it would be great if I was able to find a way to help support some of my stamping hobby. Usually I just try to find deals, using coupons, purchasing used, etc.

I'm not really looking to make any money, but like you said what I make could go back into my stamping budget.

I guess the main reason why I feel that people won't pay more than $1 or $2 for a handmade card is because of the general area in which I live. It was just published in our local newspaper (last week), that one of my nearby towns has the highest unemployment rate of any city in Pennsylvania. The economy has hit our area pretty hard and like everyone else they are watching their spending.

You've given me a few things to think about. I have tried selling my cards on ebay one time and it actually ended up costing me money after I paid all of the selling and paypal fees- so I won't go that route again which is why I was thinking about a craft fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #27  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have made $350 at a craft fair once. other than that my experiences have been pretty dismal. I don't sell cards. Sometimes i will put together a nice box of general purpose cards but they really aren't big sellers.
I still do them because it gives me a reason to craft. Then I give all my leftover items as gifts to friends throughout the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks so much You really have some great ideas listed and some that I didn't even think of! Funny, my husband's job isn't going that well either and it would be great if I was able to find a way to help support some of my stamping hobby. Usually I just try to find deals, using coupons, purchasing used, etc.

I'm not really looking to make any money, but like you said what I make could go back into my stamping budget.

I guess the main reason why I feel that people won't pay more than $1 or $2 for a handmade card is because of the general area in which I live. It was just published in our local newspaper (last week), that one of my nearby towns has the highest unemployment rate of any city in Pennsylvania. The economy has hit our area pretty hard and like everyone else they are watching their spending.

You've given me a few things to think about. I have tried selling my cards on ebay one time and it actually ended up costing me money after I paid all of the selling and paypal fees- so I won't go that route again which is why I was thinking about a craft fair.
Gosh, Patty...I can sympathize with you! I live in California, AND work for the state (who doesn't even have the cash for next month's payroll)...a double whammy! But even if you started selling some simple cards at $2/each, to get started, it might be worth investigating. The trick is to find an industry that HASN'T been impacted by the horrible economy, and market to them. Here where I live, that's been oil company employees (Chevron and other major oil companies have large regional offices here) or anyone contracting with oil companies, computer-related companies, state police (city and county cops are hurting, though), etc. I've also heard that 'Avon ladies' have been doing surprisingly okay in most markets...some have even grown their business. Maybe you could find one that's doing okay, but wants to expand her circle of influence. I made some simple 'postcards' for a new Avon lady to send out. Because they were so easy, and didn't involve envies, I charged her something like .50 each; but they were slam dunk easy, didn't take much time, and - most importantly - got my name 'out there'.

You might check out Zibbet.com, too. NO FEES for a 'booth'! Maybe another option. You can list up to 25 things for free...and from I saw during a really quick search for handmade cards, you wouldn't have a whole lot of competition! =)

Having a little income from my cards is really nice because when I want/need (trying to learn how to differentiate between the two!) something, I've got my own tiny nestegg and don't have to feel like I'm taking out of the family budget.

HTH!

Blessings,
Kat

Last edited by kitkat55; 08-16-2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: correct spelling on name!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I just finished a craft fair in which I sold some cards. It wasn't a stand-alone booth but part of our garden club's bake sale booth. I sold 25-26 cards and had them priced at $2.50 or 3 for $7. So, if I had to do it by myself, no it wouldn't be worth; it but because it was just part of our booth, I was pleased to be able to add that much to our coffers.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
Gosh, Patty...I can sympathize with you! I live in California, AND work for the state (who doesn't even have the cash for next month's payroll)...a double whammy! But even if you started selling some simple cards at $2/each, to get started, it might be worth investigating. The trick is to find an industry that HASN'T been impacted by the horrible economy, and market to them. Here where I live, that's been oil company employees (Chevron and other major oil companies have large regional offices here) or anyone contracting with oil companies, computer-related companies, state police (city and county cops are hurting, though), etc. I've also heard that 'Avon ladies' have been doing surprisingly okay in most markets...some have even grown their business. Maybe you could find one that's doing okay, but wants to expand her circle of influence. I made some simple 'postcards' for a new Avon lady to send out. Because they were so easy, and didn't involve envies, I charged her something like .50 each; but they were slam dunk easy, didn't take much time, and - most importantly - got my name 'out there'.

You might check out Zibbet.com, too. NO FEES for a 'booth'! Maybe another option. You can list up to 25 things for free...and from I saw during a really quick search for handmade cards, you wouldn't have a whole lot of competition! =)

Having a little income from my cards is really nice because when I want/need (trying to learn how to differentiate between the two!) something, I've got my own tiny nestegg and don't have to feel like I'm taking out of the family budget.

HTH!

Blessings,
Kat
Oh, yeah California, I had forgotten about that- I've heard a lot about it in the news. I guess the economy is bad all over. Funny how Avon ladies are making a great business for themselves, which is wonderful! I wish I could do well here with SU.

I never heard of Zibbet.com, I'll have to check it out- thanks for sharing this.

I did sell a set of cards one time and I think I totally under priced myself. I sold 35 thank you cards w/ envies for $40 (including shipping). The cards had 5 layers on them and they were double embossed.

There is a local craft fair near me in the fall that I could try. It's a small one and they have it along with our local apple festival. There are lots of crafters there, but no paper crafting that I can recall. The only thing is that I would be outside and I would have the weather to contend with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

My experience with craft fairs is mixed, sometimes I make the booth fee back, sometimes not. I never make a profit if you factor in my time and all that stuff. If it wasn't a labor of love I wouldn't do it. What makes it worthwhile for me to do one now and then is collecting names for my mailing list. I send out an e-newsletter, and I'm always looking for ways to get subscribers. Every time I do a craft fair or event, I have a drawing for some of my merchandise, and the signup slips double as newsletter signups. There is space on the signup slips for street address, phone, email, and web site. If they fill out only the street address, they get added to the snail mail list. If they fill out their email address as well they get added to my e-newsletter list. Building my lists makes it worthwhile for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I never heard of Zibbet.com, I'll have to check it out- thanks for sharing this.

I did sell a set of cards one time and I think I totally under priced myself. I sold 35 thank you cards w/ envies for $40 (including shipping). The cards had 5 layers on them and they were double embossed.

There is a local craft fair near me in the fall that I could try. It's a small one and they have it along with our local apple festival. There are lots of crafters there, but no paper crafting that I can recall. The only thing is that I would be outside and I would have the weather to contend with.
Yeah....I think you could've gotten more for those thank you cards; but it's all a learning process. And you made your customer VERY happy! =) I STILL have a tendency to undersell myself (who would pay $20 for a set of 8 relatively CAS monogrammed note cards ~ but I have several customers who DO! And some even add another $5-10 to their payment because they say it's worth it), but I'm trying to fight that urge! I just sold 30 wedding thank you's with pearls and embellished envies for $2 each ($60). I gave her a break on the price as my wedding gift to her. Usually these would've sold for $2.50 ea. But my 'handcrafted by' clear sticker is on each and every one, along with my e-mail address, so who knows what business I might get from them??

Good luck, Patty. If you can figure out how to protect your inventory from the weather, I say try the local craft fair! Sounds like you'd have no other papercrafters to compete with.

Blessings,
Kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

In general, I say no. My stamp club participated in our town�s large holiday craft fair where the average attendance is 10,000. We sold close to a $1,000 and we were elated, but we would not talk about if we made a profit because we figured we probably broke even on much of what we sold. We had all agreed that we were doing it for the experience and if we made a profit woo-hoo!

Cards were not a big sales item. We priced them from $1 - $6. What sold well were journals, scrapbooks ready for pictures, poop (lots and lots of poop), tile coasters, stationary sets, bookmarks, and invitations.

Once in awhile when my chocolate intake is low, I think of doing another craft fair. Then I eat a peanut butter cup and I come to my senses.

Reason why not to do a craft fair:

10. You have to make a boatload of items or your booth looks empty and if you don�t sell it all, you have to bring it home and find a place to keep it.

9. You delude yourself into thinking you will make a tidy profit but you bought too many items to make all your wonderful ideas that you could only make a profit it you sold every single stinkin� card for $10.

8. Your family wonders if you ran away from home because you�ve been locked in your stamp room for the last two months to get ready.

7. You family is so afraid that all, yes all of their Christmas gifts are leftovers from your craft fair.

6. The food delivery people all know your family members by names because you have not cooked since you started working on your craft fair.

5. You been wearing the same pair of glitter coated sweats and ink stained T-Shirt for the whole week because you only sleep in your stamp room chair. Shower, who needs a shower, just a little Stampin� Mist here and there and you�re good for another few hours.

4. Your fingers are so stained with StazOn that you can�t tell if you are or are not wearing black nail polish.

3. You seriously consider calling in sick so you can have one full day with no interruptions.

2. Your stamp room is piled so high with finished product, products in progress, ruined products, and product to make more products that your DH has tied a red flag to your butt so he can find you and the kids just send you a text because they won�t come in since little Johnny was lost in there for 2 days.

1. By the time you make some 800 � 1,000 items, you won�t want to see a stamp, a piece of paper, an ink pad, or glitter for at least a couple of month. It ruins the joy of stamping.

Bottom line, some people do really well at craft fairs, but most of us do not. If you do it, do it for the fun and the learning experience, not because you want to make some cash and don�t spend money buying things to make products with the expectations that you�ll recoup the costs. Will I do it again, I can�t say never, but almost never seems about the right response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
In general, I say no. My stamp club participated in our town�s large holiday craft fair where the average attendance is 10,000. We sold close to a $1,000 and we were elated, but we would not talk about if we made a profit because we figured we probably broke even on much of what we sold. We had all agreed that we were doing it for the experience and if we made a profit woo-hoo!

Cards were not a big sales item. We priced them from $1 - $6. What sold well were journals, scrapbooks ready for pictures, poop (lots and lots of poop), tile coasters, stationary sets, bookmarks, and invitations.

Once in awhile when my chocolate intake is low, I think of doing another craft fair. Then I eat a peanut butter cup and I come to my senses.

10. You have to make a boatload of items or your booth looks empty and if you don�t sell it all, you have to bring it home and find a place to keep it.

9. You delude yourself into thinking you will make a tidy profit but you bought too many items to make all your wonderful ideas that you could only make a profit it you sold every single stinkin� card for $10.

8. Your family wonders if you ran away from home because you�ve been locked in your stamp room for the last two months to get ready.

7. You family is so afraid that all, yes all of their Christmas gifts are leftovers from your craft fair.

6. The food delivery people all know your family members by names because you have not cooked since you started working on your craft fair.

5. You been wearing the same pair of glitter coated sweats and ink stained T-Shirt for the whole week because you only sleep in your stamp room chair. Shower, who needs a shower, just a little Stampin� Mist here and there and you�re good for another few hours.

4. Your fingers are so stained with StazOn that you can�t tell if you are or are not wearing black nail polish.

3. You seriously consider calling in sick so you can have one full day with no interruptions.

2. Your stamp room is piled so high with finished product, products in progress, ruined products, and product to make more products that your DH has tied a red flag to your butt so he can find you and the kids just send you a text because they won�t come in since little Johnny was lost in there for 2 days.

1. By the time you make some 800 � 1,000 items, you won�t want to see a stamp, a piece of paper, an ink pad, or glitter for at least a couple of month. It ruins the joy of stamping.

Bottom line, some people do really well at craft fairs, but most of us do not. If you do it, do it for the fun and the learning experience, not because you want to make some cash and don�t spend money buying things to make products with the expectations that you�ll recoup the costs. Will I do it again, I can�t say never, but almost never seems about the right response.
This totally cracked me up!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Stamphappy1650: That was an awesome recap! =) Have you been hiding out at my house??

There is so much truth in your Top 10 list, I had to send it to DH and my stamp club....although I've been part of several smaller craft fairs the past two years, nobody else in my stamp club has done one and we've committed to a large table at an upcoming craft fair in a neighboring town for their Centennial celebration in October. I thought it only fair to warn them what they can expect!!

TFS!!
Kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies...the amount of cards that I sell/donate on a yearly basis is not typical. This year one of the swim teams backed out on their cards (1250) so I have them to use for one of my other avenues of sales. They said they will do it again next year because although it is a good way to make money for them, they want to do something else this year so everyone doesnt think they are going to do cards every year. This helped me beef up my basket for hubbys desk and the basket I am taking to meet with their personnel office this Saturday. It will be nice to get a few more $$$ from his business purchasing from me now too. How every all this works out I am happy..happy to make cards and be able to gain some $$$ from them. I guess I am rambling now but wanted to let you all know it has taken me about 5 years to get where I am in sales/donations of cards. With all the kids grown and gone, and hubby traveling for work..I have many many hours every day to make cards. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just remembered that I still have my Craft Fair Checklist. I did a bit of research on craft fairs and made a list of things we needed to consider. This has things that are directed to our needs at the time and you will have to modify for your needs. It might be of some help.

Kat, one piece of advice, October is not that far away so you have to get on it girl! Get out your coupons for delivery and set up the sleeping bag in the stamp room, kiss your family goodbye and get to makin' stuff! :p

Actually, I wish you much fun and great sales. I make jokes about the experience but I'm glad we did it. For years one of my new years resolutions was to do a craft fair and it was really nice to actually do one of my resolutions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Craft Fairchecklist template.pdf (91.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: doc Craft Fairchecklist template.doc (106.0 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Default Thank You!

Thank you for sharing your Craft Fair List. I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

8. .....

I just finished my first craft show season I totally enjoyed reading your response. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I enjoyed reading over everything in this thread. So I thought I would throw my two cents in.
Last year was my first year for doing craft shows. I had my first in May then the rest were in early and late fall. I would say I did fairly well. I kept track of what sold at which fair and which fair I would want to do again.
The way I figured it was I wanted to try alot of the ideas anyway and I just worked on one to three things a week (depending on the number and difficulty of the project.) I did the best in late fall and I made enough after table fees to pay Christmas gifts which was my goal.
The biggest trick for me was to buy everything on sale or at cost or wholesale. When school supplies are sale are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes