Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of store bought cards = nuts!

Ok-

So I wanted to find a nice Hallmark card for my mom (I KNOW..should've made my own..but no time..you get the picture!). Anyways, I go shopping for one and settle for one which was $2.50, and I thought, ok, this is NUTS! Some of the cards are like $5..and yes they do play music! But still! GEEZ!

SO, question; how many of you really, truly make MOST of you cards and any tips about how you go about doing this? I find that if I make a few of the same cards, they just don't "fit" the person I am giving them too..thoughts?? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #2  
neglecting the kids and housework

I really truly honestly make all my cards and I have for about three years now. The trick I use to make cards for more than my WS samples is to pick two stamp sets, three (or four) cardstock colors, those same ink colors plus black and white and make as many as I can think of. I don't get overwhelmes with options and I get quite a bit done. Also I have started thinking that I should give people cards that are my style and not necissarily(sp?) there's. I think because we are creating these pieces we sweat it too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I know! Cards are super expensive....and there have been a few times I've been tempted in the past to buy them when I'm in a pinch.

My grandmother spends a small fortune on cards (usually $3-$4 each....and prolly buys atleast 6-10 a month). I've suggested before that she let me make them, but she really takes her time picking them out based on what they say.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I have to agree with you, the cost of cards is crazy. I just picked up a Hallmark card for DH for our anniversary (only cause I liked the long verse it had in it) and it was $4. I will say the past 2 years all the other cards with the exception of 2 or 3 have been handmade by me.
Last year I waited till close to whatever occasion and made the card but found I was short on time doing it that way. So this year when I've had spare time I've made several different styles for different occasions, leaving the verse off but a place where one could be added later since many of the cards could be used for multiple things...bday, thinking of you, anniversary. Doing it this way has worked really well for me and it only takes a couple minutes to find the verse and put it on when I'm ready to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I make MOST of my cards...except for the people that think handmade cards are stupid!!!! Yes...I know a few of those!!!! However..I don't make in bulk..I make for the individual person. At times buying stamps just for that particular person and card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also make cards based on each person...I don't have a 'stash' I can fall back on...I make them on a "as needed" basis...

If you consider all the supplies you buy and compare that to hallmark cards, I think they'd be about the same. ;)

I have no problem buying a card when I don't have a stamp set to fit the occasion (like my sister's college graduation coming up)...I'd rather buy a card perfect for them than a stamp set I'll probably never use again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I started making cards about a year ago, I have not bought a card.

We have a large family. 5 grown kids and spouses, and 16 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandkids.

Every month, I think about the next month coming up, and who I need to make birthday cards for. Every month has at least one, and many have several, with all those people. For example, April is my birthday, and also my step-son and my grandson.

Then, I just get busy and make the birthday cards for the coming month. I like having an occasion, and a person, to make a card for.

After I make the cards I really need, then I just make whatever strikes my fancy.

As far as buying a card for someone who doesn't like handmade cards......What's not to like? If someone can't appreciate the time, thought, and loving effort that goes into making a card, they might just get taken off my card list!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make all my own cards and have for about five years. My organization is a bit AR-OC, but it works for me. I keep charts of all the people I send "regular cards" to (birthday, Easter, Mother's Day, etc.) and as I make them, I check them off the list. The cards are stored in a card organizer by month, and each month, I mail out the cards for that month. This way, I can customize cards to the people who are receiving them. This is a huge help on days when I don't know what I want to make--I pull out my list and see which cards I need to make.

For Get well, sympathy, of just thinking of you cards, I make those on an as needed basis, though I do keep a stash of each just in case. For Christmas, I joined this year's Christmas Card Challenge here and already have dozens of cards made. Whew--that feels good and I know I'll appreciate it come November!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I make all of my cards, and have for the last 3 years. I do like most have suggested; I look ahead to the next month and see what I may need. Then when I have some free time I make all occasion cards such as sympathy, get well, etc. Then when the unexpected happens, I'm ready. And I also leave cards blank to add the sentiment later. The only thing I do miss about buying cards is finding the perfect sentiment inside. I have rarely printed off sentiments on my computer, which I actually think I need to do more often. I'm afraid over the years I'll send the exact same inside sentiment to the same person. Certainly don't want to do that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have not purchased a card in over 2 years now! I make them or they dont get one!!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I pretty much agree with everyone-- the cost of cards is nuts, and SO much easier (and more fun!) to make your own.

I usually make a list of what I'm going to need for the next month or two when I have some free time, and stamp those... And then if I have more time, I usually stamp the usual-- birthday, thank you, sympathy, get well-- cards. So, when I'm in a rush or have a last minute event, I'm always ready.

Oh, and I always try to have at least 2 'masculine' cards on hand-- most men don't appreciate flowers on their cards. Hehe.

<333.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I recently entered the card dept at a local shop and think the prices have gone down in the past few years and was quite impressed at how great they are now being made. Honestly, I saw eyelets, brads, ribbons, etc... and the cards were like $2.85 which for any great looking card is a steal- My first reaction was hmmm unless someone has a real passion to make cards why bother?? I know that the amount of money I have invested in paper, adhesive, embellishments etc.....make the actual cost of my cards at around....... $48.95 a card. All kidding aside though- the price is coming down- they even had a section of hallmark for 49 cents.... it has me worried...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't bought a card in 10 years. Now, granted, I was never a big card giver even before I started stamping. I will generally call the person on their birthday. I have discovered, reading this thread, that I stamp simply because I like to, and I really enjoy it (most of the time). I do send out cards, however if I miss someone, I don't get too upset. This way they don't really expect it, but are pleased if they actually do get one. My DH is the only one that can count on getting a card and that's probably because I don't have to mail it! LOL! Also, having 6 brothers and sisters, 24 nephews and nieces and 36 great nephews and nieces on my side, and scads on his side, who could keep up!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I make all my cards. Well, now and then, I'll buy a card if it's for a guy, 'cause I hate making those. I always try to tailor the card to the person. Most of the time I will end up surfing the internet for an additional image, like a car or something (my nephew likes cars), which I'll then draw for that one-time use.

Sometimes, I'll also buy cards, but only for myself, just because I like the colouring (like on Marjolein Bastein's cards).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Re: Sentiments. I stamp a sentiment on a recipe card. If i send this to someone I put the persons name and the date on the back of the recipe card. Then before stamping a sentiment on a card for that person I will look to see if I have used that stamp. I usually don't stamp the inside of my cards until I am ready to send them. I keep the recipe cards in a recipe box filed under birthday. etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I have only bought 1 card in 5 years. It was a sympathy card, last year, for my friend's mom who I think would have thought it "tacky" to give a handmade card for her husband's passing. Though she really likes all my cards, I just think she liked the boughten one better. I DID make a memory board for her husband's memorial that was LOVED by her though...so not ALL handmade things are "tacky" in her eyes. I have a hard time making sympathy cards most of all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

I have not bought a card since I started stamping (the exception being Christmas cards which I get a box of 50 for $3.00). I generally make each card as the occasion comes, but for a while had a bit of an extra stash (which I gave to my Mom).

When I am truly desperate, I dig into my cardfront swaps and attach them to a back and send them... that's pretty rare though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I no longer buy cards anymore, except for Xmas cards on clearance for 90% off.

I can make a card in about the time it takes to get into the car, drive to the store, peruse the selection and drive back home. PLus, making cards helps me use some of my scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I do have to agree..it costs me alot more to make a card than to buy one!!!But I do this because I like it and its therapeudic..i don't even want to know how many thousands of dollars are in my stamp room!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Hallmark must think I'm dead.

BS (Before Stamping - and who can remember that long ago???) I used to be in the store every month buying for the next month. I took my Gold Crown card out of my George Costanza wallet and never looked back!

When I get a Hallmark, I can't resist peeking at the back and nearly faint at how much cards cost! Yep - stamping DOES save you money! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I make my own cards. All of them. I refuse to give Hallmark any more of my money!
I make some of them on my lunch breaks at work. It is fun, relaxing, and my co-workers see what I'm doing and comment!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I was actually in Hallmark today and checked out the Mother's Day cards for looks and trends. What struck me first thing was that many of the cards have 3-D embellishments such as rhinestones, flowers and tags. I also noticed several cards that reminded me of the dots and daisies background from last year.

I looked, but didn't buy any cards. Clearance items are another matter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I have not purchased a card in more than a decade. I also tell everyone I know to NOT buy cards. I have a big basket that people can choose from to give other people and I love doing this. I let everyone know not to waste their money when I have enough cards to circle the earth several times
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I truly enjoy making cards...yes, it is difficult to decide who gets what...I have made many cards and leave them blank so I can personalize at the moment before giving. It is truly difficult to put a price on a handmade card. In my book, they are priceless. Most all of my friends enjoy the creations. They know that time and effort was devoted to each card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I make ALL my cards. If I need a verse, I hit the internet and print it out and attach it inside my card. Many times I'll put a sentiment in and hand write the rest. I haven't purchased a card in over 2 years. I refuse to give money to our competitor, lol. My dd will also make her cards now, but DH still buys his ;)
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Since i started my addiction...i have made the cards i think if i were to buy a card at this point with all that i have invested in DH would shoot me lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Where do you find sentiments?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maine_girl
I make ALL my cards. If I need a verse, I hit the internet and print it out and attach it inside my card. Many times I'll put a sentiment in and hand write the rest. I haven't purchased a card in over 2 years. I refuse to give money to our competitor, lol. My dd will also make her cards now, but DH still buys his ;)
Hi - Do you have a favorite web site for sentiments?

Thanks,
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

I haven't purchased a card in over 9 years. This is when I began the wonderful world of stamping! LOL
I keep a running list of events coming up for the next month and have the cards ready and addressed and set to go....I put the date of the event in the place where the postage stamp goes.....so I know when to mail them out.

Then I try to keep a small stash ahead of time with....all occassion cards....

I make all our Christmas cards......and even some for my dh's business.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannontc
My grandmother spends a small fortune on cards (usually $3-$4 each....and prolly buys atleast 6-10 a month). I've suggested before that she let me make them, but she really takes her time picking them out based on what they say.
Tara
I loved your comment about your grandmother. It seems that we - the cardmakers - focus on the design/colors/punches/papers/embellishments. But the card buyers really go for the sentiment! I have a friend who LOVES my cards - but she always looks inside (blank - I'm on a one woman mission to get people to actually write something personal in a card haha)
I might have to step it up though - and start writing the inside - printing on my base cardstock before I start cutting - just to give em what they want!
And I'm joining the ranks of making cards when I need one to send - personalizes at least a little for the receiver. Although I do keep a stash of more generic cards to give away in gift sets.

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by talbotcorkum

Thanks,
Karen
Here is a thread on SCS that has lots of ideas.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

versalog.com is also great.

There have been several other discussions of where to find verses. You might try a search of this forum using something like sentiments.

Now back to the regular topic. I know that if I factor in all the tools, etc., my cards cost much more than any I could buy (kind of like the fish DH catches) but each time I make one the cost goes down! However, I do kind of feel a bit of a pain every time I receive a card and see the $2.95 and higher price marked on it!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally have to laugh as I am reading this! I don't know about any of you guys but I probably spend $50 or so to make each card once I buy the stamps I have to have, the paper the sample used, special tools and accessories to make it look just like the sample... Hallmark is really just a fraction of the cost! However, short of a humorous stab at G Dubbya b-day card I bought for my brother, I haven't purchased a card in years, I can't bring myself to do it! I remember talking to my niece when I first started card making and she said "Wow, I bet you save lots of money making your own cards!" To which I replied, "No, it costs just as much but it takes more time!" HA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just received a "mini catalog" from Hallmark and guess what they had in there? Cards....and they looked more like the handmade cards than ever before. With the embellishments, sentiments, colors and lay outs, it sure looks like Hallmark is starting to copy all the stampers!

I just purchased the sweetest stamp that I know I'm going to be using a lot. It says "this is more than a card, it's a hug with a fold in the middle." I love that because that's what I think of when I make a card. I'm thinking of that person, what they mean to me. That's why I only send my cards.

And yes, my Hallmark store did notice when I stopped coming in so much! Of course with my stash of stamping products now, my DH thinks I could have probably purchased Hallmark!

"The value of persistent prayer is not that he will hear us...but that we will finally hear him." William McGill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: in a quiet library with plenty of books, a pot of tea, dark chocolate, and a purring cat
Default long time

I haven't purchased a card in a long time-at least 5 years, other than clearance boxes of christmas cards for sending to distant friends/family. I have a stash of handmade cards that are ready to mail, especially sympathy/thinking of you because those are hard to make when you need them. I also keep a monthly to-do list for birthdays and usually make each person's ahead of time based on what they would like. If I don't know someone well enough to 'customize' they get whatever I am in the mood to make. And if anyone has gotten one of my handmade cards and not liked it because it wasn't store-bought, they haven't DARED say anything to me!!!
I used to have a hard time with masculine cards, but lately have been going the humorous route versus trying to find an image that looks right. The guys in my family have good senses of humor, so I know they will get a kick out of them.
I am a cheapskate so most of my supplies cost little, but I am an accumulator, so I end up buying a lot of stuff, so maybe it evens out on the cost per card. What I do not miss is getting in my car, fighting traffic to get to a store, then wandering around for an hour finding a card I like. I like being at home, relaxing with a snack, and making something pretty.
Rachel V.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by talbotcorkum

Thanks,
Karen
Like Dorothy put, I've used versalog.com and many others. Depends on what I am looking for. Sometimes I even use song lyrics. I love to Google ;)
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I was in a shop today and saw cards for $5 one had beads attached, another had rhinestones, and the third had a flower remarkably like the ones in the doodle sets that were cut out and put together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

I got into card making because it seemed fun and I thought I'd save money on cards. I didn't send out a whole lot out but my mother and sister in-laws do for every occasion. I thought by making my own cards I could keep up and it would be cheaper. I make all of mine and keep up with them now (most of the time or they don't get one) but this obsession isn't cheaper.

My Blog: http://jenspaperobsession.blogspot.com/

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 02:49 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

have been a demonstrator 12 years and have only purchased one or two cards in that time (both for my daughter - who when she was little thought my cards were not 'real' because they did not have characters on them). She was little then and will be 13 so it has been close to a decade since I purchased one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossom
I make all my own cards and have for about five years. My organization is a bit AR-OC, but it works for me. I keep charts of all the people I send "regular cards" to (birthday, Easter, Mother's Day, etc.) and as I make them, I check them off the list. The cards are stored in a card organizer by month, and each month, I mail out the cards for that month. This way, I can customize cards to the people who are receiving them. This is a huge help on days when I don't know what I want to make--I pull out my list and see which cards I need to make.

For Get well, sympathy, of just thinking of you cards, I make those on an as needed basis, though I do keep a stash of each just in case. For Christmas, I joined this year's Christmas Card Challenge here and already have dozens of cards made. Whew--that feels good and I know I'll appreciate it come November!
oh man, you are my hero! i love your AR-OC method! will adopt it for myself...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't bought a card in over 5 years. I have card classes in my house and I make cards along with my customers and I have a stash to go to.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2007, 04:01 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking Store Bought cards

Store bought cards are way over priced. I haven't bought a card in about 8 years. I make small groups of cards with each stamp set, one might be birthday, one might be Just for you, etc. Then I have rolling carts that I keep each kind of sentiment cards in for when I need one. I usually can find one that will fit a person. That way I have plenty on hand to choose from.
I also make all my Christmas cards in August, and other holidays ahead of time. I have made shower invites for people, made both my DD's wedding invitations and made a wedding/shower cake out of the slice template which had favors in each slice. I think the more I make handmade, the more people appreciate it, at least they seem to feel that way when I give it to them.
I refuse to buy store bought cards. Think of how many people in the country or countries that get that same store bought card?

debstamper
Reply With Quote Likes