Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coluzzle

I have been playing with this for about 2 hours now, and I don't even have one cut circle. I did peel both sides of the template, and I did run the knife through the circles as a past post by Kim Wilson advised, but no luck! I'm trying to keep the blade up and my wrist still, but it MUST be easier than this. . . or else no one would ever buy them!!! I think I may already have ruined the circle template with dings. Any other suggestions?
Member #1237
My Gallery

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish I could ease your frustration with Coluzzle. I can only say that I have used many circle cutters and Coluzzle is by far the easiest. Without being there to demonstrate and watch your motion I don't think I can help if you are holding the knife correctly and using little pressure and letting the knife glide not forcing it. I have a nicked here and there,doesn't seem to interfere with cutting. Just relax and enjoy your Coluzzle.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 04:48 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You probably have done this, but I'll ask anyway....
Are you using the white foam sheet underneath the cardstock?

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:09 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

I bought a coluzzle a couple of months ago at Joann's and I am having the same problem. So I gave up on it. I did put the foam sheet underneath it but the blade kept turning and I am sure I have nicks in mine as well. I wanted to make oval cuts so I could have some nice looking cards, but I feel like I wasted my money.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:17 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought it was just me!! I have literally ruined my oval template trying to do a gel card. I seem to have learned the technique after repeated tries.

I have not purchased anything from Creative Memories, but several of my customers (and fellow demos) swear by their cutting system. Anyone have an opinion on that???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my coluzzle; but it did take a while to get the feel of the blade. It will only operate correctly in one direction. I think it makes great cuts though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:36 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is probably one of those tools you either hate or love. I fell in love with it the first time I used it. The Fiskar's Shape Cutter, on the other hand, is impossible for me to use. I have never gotten a shape cut out completely and what cuts I make are awful. I've heard of people who love the Shape Cutter.

Sorry I can't help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:44 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

I have read on here several times that a lot of people prefer CM cutting tool, that it is the easiest to use. I have a friend who had a lot of CM things and she does have the cutting tool, so I am going to borrow hers to see what I think. When I tried my coluzzle my cs was jagged and not smooth.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I used to be a CM consultant, so have a lot of CM stuff. I have to say, I LOVE the CM oval and circle cutter. Very easy to use! I would recommend them to anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:00 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I have the Creative Memories cutting system and absolutely love it. You have to purchase the circle and oval templates separately though. It comes with 3 cutting blade circles. Each of the blades is located in a different position on the blade so it is very easy to know which ones to use to make a perfect fitting background mat every time. I think that when you initially purchase the cutting system it comes with the blades, cutting mat and your choice of one of the templates (circle, oval or straight ruler type thing (not for sure of it's name). The circle and oval templates each come with 3 different sizes. On each of the circle or ovals there is a groove line on the inside as well as the outside of the circle resulting in even more versatility and choices. I cannot say enough good things about this cutting system. I have had it for over 2 years now and would not use anything else. I bought the Coluzzle 6 months ago and still can't figure it out. I have only attempted to use it to cut out a stamped image though. I figure my CM cutting system is so easy that I don't want to attempt the coluzzle for that type of cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:05 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have coluzzle and just love mine!! I think the key is how you hold the knife!! It really must be straight up and down for the best results. It does take a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's super easy. Keep trying!!

Good Luck!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water.~Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I have CM and coluzzle and I never use my CM. CM is to bulky you have to have so many things and the blade can slip if you don't have it just right or the paper moves. To me that was a total waste of money. I love the coluzzle. At first I had a hard time and I realized I was not pushing down hard enough, I was being to soft thinking I was going to cut the foamy cutting sheet that comes with it. Once I realized I am not going to cut it and put more pressure it worked great. Don't over do it with the pressure just be firm. Oh double check the blade is tight, mine has a tendency when I am using it to loosen up and then I start to have some problems.

Take a deep breath, relax, and try it again. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I am using the cutting mat that came with the starter kit. I'll keep trying, but I think I am already at the point of wanting to replace this! :(
Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:25 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default cutting system

I have the coluzzle, CM , & Fiskars cutting systems! The CM system is by far the easiest to use and you will never have broken templates, etc. They are limited, however, in templates, although they do have circles, ovals, etc + a few others. They are very durable and will last a lifetime. I use it alot for basic shapes.

The Fiskars is my next favorite cutter. They have tons of designs to choose from. It is much easier to use than coluzzle. The trick to using it, is to make sure you have the template w/the Fiskars name up. It takes a little practice, but it is very easy to use I think.

Lastly, the coluzzle is my least favorite! It takes lots of practice, you have to snip the little tags afterward, and it is very easy to mess up the templates because they are so thin. Alot of people like this system, but I personally do not. I have been thinking of selling mine!

Hope this helps you out...

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/maryroth/

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I just tried again . . . no luck! Donna, is there a way to tell if the blade is in the right position?
Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:55 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Hey Roxanne,
Thank you, thank you!!! I didn't check the blade when I first read your post, because it is brand new. I just checked the blade, and it was loose. I tightened it and cut a perfect circle . . . now to cut it out!

Maybe I'll keep this thing after all!
Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Default nicks...

To fix the nicks in the template, use a nail file to smooth it out. Either run the file in the channel OR just push the affected area up and out of the template for a second and file it that way. A good way to get the blade to go smooth is to place the blade in the channel with the cutting side facing the way you are cutting. It can swivel but this I have found makes it way easier to get it gliding smoothly. As said before, make sure you are holding the knife at a 90 degree angle and push gently....it will get screwy if you push too hard. hth.................Michaelann in NY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 07:27 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To repair: a little nail polish or superglue in the nick and then wipe smooth when wet.

I love my Coluzzle and could not stand any of the other products. Make sure the blade is tight. Do not force anything. Make sure the blade is the right direction in the tunnel and pull do NOT push the tool. When you are done, use slightly rounded manicure scissors to cut the little notches smoothly and then take a nail buffer and buff any rough edges on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Cathy,
I am glad it worked, it really is nice once you get the hang of it.
:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Default Love my coluzzle!

I finally got a coluzzle, and LOVE it! I'm so glad you figured it out. I think you will enjoy using it. It really is so easy to use and takes up hardly any space at all to store. And there are tons of templates for it. I think you can see some at the Provo craft website or coluzzle.com. I am really thinking of getting some of the tag shaped templates. There are letters, envelope templates, etc. Have fun with this tool!

Happily stampin' and scrappin' in Arizona!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Coluzzle and CM. I like them both, but find Coluzzle to be easier. With either brand, you have to make sure that your paper is large enough to hold down, or it will keep slipping underneath the template and your cutting is off. And once you nick the Coluzzle template, you have to be careful when cutting at the nick. Keep practicing--Coluzzle has soooo many different templates it would be a shame to give it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmassucco
I have the Coluzzle and CM. I like them both, but find Coluzzle to be easier. With either brand, you have to make sure that your paper is large enough to hold down, or it will keep slipping underneath the template and your cutting is off. And once you nick the Coluzzle template, you have to be careful when cutting at the nick. Keep practicing--Coluzzle has soooo many different templates it would be a shame to give it up!
re: bolded portion: I swipe a line of Hermafix removable "dots" on the cardstock before I position the template on it. This hold everything in place and then when I'm done cutting, I just pull the c/s off, gently, and rub the dots off the c/s and the template.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm glad you figured out what you were doing incorrectly! You're gonna love that coluzzle. Between my friends and I ,we have all their templates. They're awesome for scrapping and cards!
Have Fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I used the CM system for years and thought it was fabulous........... until I used coluzzle! Now, I'm ready to permanently part with the CM one......... I don't like all the different blades and then having to use the plastic guide FIRST and THEN put position my cutting template. I have ruined pictures by accidently using the wrong blade.......... never happened with the coluzzle!

- April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you all so much!!! The support that you all offer when someone has a question is amazing . . . unequaled anywhere else in my experience!!!

Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes