Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:48 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default color coach combos - UGLY?

Okay, does anyone besides me think the color coach combos are UGLY?! I was cleaning out my stamp closet (the only reason I picked the coach up, lol) and when I looked at it, it came flooding back to me why I had buried it......their suggestions for coordinating colors for glorious green are: cameo coral, perfect plum, pale plum, and almost amethyst. HUH??? Is it just me? Am I color blind? I think these are terrible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

You're not alone in those thoughts. I admit I do refer to it when I'm stuck but for the most part, I just sit here with my color swatches and work from it. They really need to revamp the color wheel. I think the color combinations on the Idea Sheets are more complimentary. Makes me wonder where they come up with those combinations.

-Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some of them look weird on the wheel, but gorgeous when you actually put them together.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:09 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

My upline uses her's often and when she actually puts some of those weird combos together they look really nice!

I think maybe it's hard to imagine those colors together, but if you pick one or two main colors and add one or two complimentary colors to it as an accent, the combo can be pulled off quite nicely!

Try a couple that you would NEVER EVER think to put together and see what happens! It may open a whole new color experience for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Default color coach combos - UGLY?

I am one of those people who has to "see" things in order to decide if I like them . . . but I have learned to love the color coach. While trying to organize my cardstock scraps one day, I decided to make myself some pages of what I call "color swatch combos" to help me when I'm in a rut. I actually taped together little pieces of various color combos and stuck them on a sheet of paper and wrote the names of the cardstock colors underneath each combo. Each sheet of paper has several swatches on it. Then I stuck them in page protectors and into a notebook. This has been an invaluable tool for me! When I'm stampin' and get frustrated with the colors, I just pull out my li'l notebook and go, "hmmmmm . . ."

Not only that, but I felt great about using up some of my scraps of cardstock and it motivated me to organize the rest of them!!!

Don't just sit there . . . go stamp something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:37 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
I think maybe it's hard to imagine those colors together, but if you pick one or two main colors and add one or two complimentary colors to it as an accent, the combo can be pulled off quite nicely!

Try a couple that you would NEVER EVER think to put together and see what happens! It may open a whole new color experience for you!
YEP, I totally agree! When I tried 2-step Daisies in Carmel, Eggplant, Olive and whatever one of the other colors is on the wheel--I was stunned. The daisies turned into a wonderful fall representation of color! Unique and gorgeous. I use the wheel to push me into new color areas because my tendency is to stay with B Brights.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL!
YES! There are some combos that I think "WTH???" :shock:
But when I try them myself (which is almost never ) or see a sample made by another person I always think "WOW! I would have NEVER thought to try those together, but they look GREAT!"

FYI - I think the Color Coach is just putting the analgous (sp?) and complimentary colors together just like we did back in 7th grade art. SU! doesn't have the market cornered, they are just using what has been used in art forever to make up their Color Coach.

Give them a try! I think I'm going to drag out my Coach too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:41 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: color coach combos - UGLY?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janice Brinson
I am one of those people who has to "see" things in order to decide if I like them . . . but I have learned to love the color coach. While trying to organize my cardstock scraps one day, I decided to make myself some pages of what I call "color swatch combos" to help me when I'm in a rut. I actually taped together little pieces of various color combos and stuck them on a sheet of paper and wrote the names of the cardstock colors underneath each combo. Each sheet of paper has several swatches on it. Then I stuck them in page protectors and into a notebook. This has been an invaluable tool for me! When I'm stampin' and get frustrated with the colors, I just pull out my li'l notebook and go, "hmmmmm . . ."

Not only that, but I felt great about using up some of my scraps of cardstock and it motivated me to organize the rest of them!!!
BRILLIANT! I'm CASE'n this idea, and I think I'll even add in the suggestions on the Inspiration Sheets. I always refer to those, but it's such a pain to flip thru all the sheets. (And I get SO distracted! )

TFS such a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I also used to think some of the combinations were ugly, until i actually used some of the combinations together. The cards were actually very
attractive and i rec'd may compliments on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 06:01 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

okay ladies, I will take your word and try some, lol. And that's a great idea about making up cardstock scrap combos. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: color coach combos - UGLY?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amileary
Okay, does anyone besides me think the color coach combos are UGLY?! I was cleaning out my stamp closet (the only reason I picked the coach up, lol) and when I looked at it, it came flooding back to me why I had buried it......their suggestions for coordinating colors for glorious green are: cameo coral, perfect plum, pale plum, and almost amethyst. HUH??? Is it just me? Am I color blind? I think these are terrible!
The color swatches printed on the wheel aren't really accurate. I just go by the names listed, because the color they have labeled as "Real Red" looks more like Ruby Red, and vice versa!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

It's also important to remember that the colors on the color coach will be used in varied amounts on a card. In other words they will not be used in equal amounts. One color will be the main color and the others will just be accents. Then some of these color combos look better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #13  
Buttered Noodle Mingler

I have also "lost" my color coach. I tried it a few times and the projects looked pretty bad! I have made my own color coach. Somewhere, I found a list of the color suggestions from the Inspiration Sheets. I took the list, cut 1 inch squares from the card stock, and placed them together in a square on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper! So, I have about 36 color combos that actually work good together and it's a true representation of the color! I love it and I use it with almost every project!

Michele Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
Some of them look weird on the wheel, but gorgeous when you actually put them together.
This has been my experience, much to my surprise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I know what you mean. I bought the color wheel last year when I signed up. I think it would help if the colors on the wheel were actually true to color. I find that I don't use it. Other demos swear by it though and when I see a card that they made I like it!

visit my site: www.danahatch.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default color coach on an "O" ring

Here is the link to what I made w/ my SU! square punch and color wheel.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I too, was surprised at how differently the colors looked on the wheel to the actual papers. So I decided I would rather have the actual colors shown. So I punched out the squares according to how they went on the wheel and mono'd them together.

It's great. I've made them for my uplines and at group meetings. Its been a real lifesaver.

( :oops: I just realized I'm on my mom's computer. This is aubrey27)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

What a great idea! I'm going to have to make one, too
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Check out this page on "Kimm's Stamping Page" website. Although there is an option to purchase these color groupings in cardstock palettes, you can skip that part on the very top of this page and go right to the links below to get the info for free. Each color palatte has 5-7 stampin' up colors. You just choose 2 or 3 or 4 from each group and they will automatically coordinate.

http://www.ephesian25stamps.homestea...ettesmain.html

Amy J. in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! Two great ideas on one page! Yippeeeeeee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember too on the color wheel, you are looking at same size slices of color on glossy cardboard. When you actually put them together, you are using them as small touches of colors, as accents. I dont think I would put even amounts of those colors together, but in smaller accents they work!!
Tandra

Look at this thread... Forums at Splitcoaststampers

scroll down to debbie88 (4 posts down) and check out her file to print out! its 7 pages of grids to paste color samples on. What a great idea for a visual on color combos!!

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Some of them do look pretty yucky to me, but I must say that the ones I have actually tried do end up looking pretty good. They may not be ones I would choose on my own, but they do work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I used it for a scrapbook page when I was new to SU. I had some non-SU linen textured purple paper that I put the coach by to see what colors to do for the page. Two of the "suggested colors" were More Mustard and Old Olive. Yuck. But I went ahead and did it in those colors anyway. Results - my favorite page so far! It looked very good together and I would have NEVER pulled those colors to go with purple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngFab
FYI - I think the Color Coach is just putting the analogous and complimentary colors together just like we did back in 7th grade art.
I think it was 10th grade art for me, but you can really do some neat stuff with the Color Coach. Besides the coordinating colors (the four colors under the selected color", analogous colors (the colors to the left & right of your selected color), and complimentary colors (the color opposite the selected color on the wheel), you can do "triangulated colors," which are three colors that form a triangle on the Color Coach and each have the same number of colors between them (three). They are:

Forest Foliage, Eggplant Envy & Summer Sun (I did an awesome Christmas card in theses colors using the tall tree from Nice & Narrow)
Brilliant Blue, Real Red & Yoyo Yellow (the primary colors are one, two, three; red, yellow and blue . . .)
Lovely Lilac, Ruby Red & Green Galoore (I haven't tried this one myself, but it could be pretty with the right amounts of each color)
Orchid Opulence, Only Orange & Glorious Green (another I haven't tried)

When I demo a card using a combo from the color coach, I always put in a plug for this $10 tool and I have sold bunches and have customers who swear by them.

Thanks to all who have suggested fun ways to arrange color combos from the "coach" and the Inspiration sheets. I'm getting out the jumbo square punches!

One other suggestion for color combinations is to use your clothes. Plaids and stripes are great for that. I have a plaid shirt I love in Real Red, Creamy Caramel & Mellow Moss. I always check out my customer's clothes to see if they are wearing anything fun, that I'd like to try out. Get out your "48 colored glasses" and see what you can come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with all who said the color wheel may look like weird color combos, but when you try them "in real life" they almost always work. My friends and I have a running joke about putting faith in the color wheel. We constantly amaze ourselves!!

Ashley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:11 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Sharon Rogers and some of the other posts - the combinations may look odd together on the wheel; but together on a project or card are stunning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

You have to use the wheel correctly too (maybe that's obvious to the old timers, but not so obvious to the newbies) You don't use all the colors at one time on most cards. You pick one or two and go by the directions on the back. I love my wheel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 05:43 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
This has been my experience, much to my surprise!

yep, I agree!!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water.~Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Idon't want to high-jack this thread, but I keep my color coach out all the time and mine has really faded. Anyone else had this problem? I guess it doesn't really affect the usefulness, but it does look even "yuckier."

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes