Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #81  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
I don't consider spending a gift card you received for your birthday as spending. It's like they bought you those items, wrapped them up and gave them to you (you didn't spend a penny).
I would have felt exactly the same way a few years ago. But my financial situation is on the verge of looking grim. My $100 Christmas gift from my parents will be figured into my craft budget.

I've convinced myself that it's OK to spend it for crafts because every year the gift comes with one requirement, "You are to use the money on you, not bills, not the boys." It's funny (maybe even sad) that at 50-something, I still need my parents approval to do things. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #82  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by redapronView Post
So happy I stumbled across this! I've joined the 2012 Organization Challenge fromScrapRack this year.
Liz, I'm also taking part! I won't be buying a scraprack. The idea of paying $100 (plus all the extras) doesn't appeal to me. But her organization method is fabulous! I think it's really going to work for me.
For those just now hearing about it: 2012 Resolve to Get Organized Challenge with Tiffany Spaulding and The ScrapRack

I watched the shorter (5-session) webinar videos in December and got a head start for this session. Sorting my paper was easy because I don't have a lot of it. Sorting my embellishments has been a real challenge. I have tons of stray items. I'm finding them all over my craft room! Bunches of little things I tucked into a baggie or threw into a box to "sort later". ACK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Liz, I'm also taking part! I won't be buying a scraprack. The idea of paying $100 (plus all the extras) doesn't appeal to me. But her organization method is fabulous! I think it's really going to work for me.
For those just now hearing about it: 2012 Resolve to Get Organized Challenge with Tiffany Spaulding and The ScrapRack

I watched the shorter (5-session) webinar videos in December and got a head start for this session. Sorting my paper was easy because I don't have a lot of it. Sorting my embellishments has been a real challenge. I have tons of stray items. I'm finding them all over my craft room! Bunches of little things I tucked into a baggie or threw into a box to "sort later". ACK!

I think I figured out a guilt free way of paying for it! I really need to sell all those stamp sets that I don't use anymore!

I also decided I'm going to try to spend on SU only what I make on SU as a demo this year.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #84  
Hardware Hotshot

I overcame the first hurdle!!
The new Copic colors are in and there are 4 I want. I don't need them right now so they are going to wait until at least next month.
It was tough, but I resisted
Monday I had my fingers on the " buy" button at least 3 times and backed out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #85  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts
Smile

Oh wow, that is great! I was doing good, then fell off the wagon a little! That takes willpower! Awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I overcame the first hurdle!!
The new Copic colors are in and there are 4 I want. I don't need them right now so they are going to wait until at least next month.
It was tough, but I resisted
Monday I had my fingers on the " buy" button at least 3 times and backed out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #86  
Crimping Master

I'll put away $25 per month until I have enough to buy the new Copic set plus a few colors that I'm missing here and there. I'll get everything on a single purchase so I can get free shipping.
I had to purchase Neenah card stock for Copics and also Georgia Pacific white because I'm literally less than 20 sheets until I run out. I also splurged on some lace and some sack fabric and petticoat fabric to use on my cards, bringing the total of what I've spent this month out of pocket to a bit under $35.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #87  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so happy I started the organization challenge. It's really helping me to realize I don't NEED to buy virtually anything except adhesive to scrapbook or make cards.

I will still keep up to date for my SU business but NOTHING for my personal scrapping unless I can't truly find anything in my stash to use and have a plan to USE IT IMMEDIATELY!

Also, hubby told me to order myself a ScrapRack for my birthday! WhooHoo! He's loving my organization progress so far

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, ladies. I'm glad I found this thread. Two years ago, I went on a buying spree at Michael's/Joann's/AC Moore because I got interested in scrapbooking and cardmaking. I justified my purchases with the fact that my job is super stressful and I needed a creative outlet. The problem was I spent a lot of time acquiring stuff rather than using them.

So, last year, I went cold turkey until November-December, when I came across some Stampin' Up stamps.

And so it begins again. :/ I signed up as a hobby demo, but I think I could really apply the tips here to stop myself from ordering a huge portion of the catalog. Sure, I want everything, but I'm going to be a responsible spender this year, and just buy what I really need (really need might be relative, but I'll try my best to stick to that resolution). :p

Thank you for this thread and the advice, and it's great that I could come to this forum for "support."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm very under budget this month! Whoohoo! I had my monthly obligation to my stamp club that I'm in and spent very close to our minimum. I did go to HL yesterday and picked up a few things, including a very basic prints paper stack (one that you'd never just get because it's so basic!), but I need some colors in it for a particular group of cards I'm making. Ok...so the bag of M&Ms I bought were not needed, but everything else was on a list and I stuck to it. I'm rather pleased that I will close this month spending right at $50. That's significantly under budget for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #90  
Hardware Hotshot

Except for the new Copic colors which I resisted for now, it was easy not to buy crafts this month. My annual medical deductibles ( Medicare & my Insurance) come due in January. With the deductibles and co-pays it cost me $625 for 4 prescriptions and one was generic . :shock:
An that is NOT counting the $99.60 Medicare monthly premium

That puts a halt to unnecessary spending LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 01-26-2012 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #91  
Hardware Hotshot

How is everyone doing??

i am doing good so far, placed an order in Jan using bday money from Dec, ;)

i sold a friend all my cricut stuff, gave DH some of it, sent DS a carepackage, and then the rest was mine.

and i made a couple of trades.

so, so far so good...but it is only feb, LOL........................

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #92  
Crimping Master

I've done very little craft spending. I think less than $100 in total. That was stamps, EZ mount sheets, some inks, some Neenah card stock, and some used nesties.
I really want to sell off some stuff to recover that. I think I'll be listing on Ebay as soon as there's some sort of free listing day or something like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Doing OK. I spent $5 in January. Added the remaining $20 to my $25 budget for February. The month is a little more than half over and I've still got $15 left. If I don't spend it, I'll roll it over to March.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #94  
Rubber Obsessor

My January total came to $149. I ended up making my first ever online purchase at Joann Fabrics. I ordered my BS crease pad, which is recommended when using BS dies that have score lines, a set of spellbinder dies, a Martha Stewart branch punch that I've wanted forever, and a Xyron adhesive remover to replace the one lost in my craft room mess.
So far in February, I hadn't spent anything until today. I travelled to Archivers and Michaels today. For not being to either in awhile, I thought I actually did pretty well, especially since Archivers is like one, big ole candy store, where you want everything.
Archiver's=$19.55 Michael's=$4.74 I also hit a Goodwill store and found some items I'll use for storage in my craft room for $9.46. Haven't done my SU order yet, but soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #95  
Hardware Hotshot

Responsible spending here. I have all I need except I only have three sets of nesties and it took me three years to buy them. It's taken me about six years to build up my stamping supplies.

For years I only spent about $20.00 a month. I also like to spread my money around to shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. The only time I go in Hobby Lobby or Michael's is when I need something and I'm armed with a coupon.

I basically only buy glue dots, rhinestones, atg tape, and silver brads @ HL or Mike's. i also have to ALWAYS check out those wood mount $ stamps at Mike's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
One more thing I am stopping in 2012 and that is my written wish list.

When I had spent my monthly craft allowance I put things on my wish list. Then I was constantly waiting for the next month to chase after things on my wish list. The wish list kept getting longer and longer and I was like a dog chasing a car he will never catch.

No more written wish lists !!
I am not going to waste time waiting for next month to chase after more stuff. IF I see something so great I will remember it and if I don't remember it then it wasn't that great and I will forget about it.
Good Idea....keep going with this and live in the present!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

love this thread ....thanks for the ideas....btw...I love the cat recycle bags...I have a couple that a lady made in town ...she donates the money you give her for them to the animal shelter...♥
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #98  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought some glue. A new Hobby Lobby opened in McHenry IL. Now I live across the street from Michaels and Hobby Lobby! I need to stay away from that side of the street lol! Still using what I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #99  
Kookie Creator

I guess I have done bad, but good.....let me explain:

I spent so far in February almost $200, which on the face of it is really, really bad. But, I have spent responsibly as well.

My LSS was having a 5-day only 50% off EVERYTHING. So, I went through my entire stock and determined what I needed. I made a list of what essentials (adhesives, etc.) I needed, and what I was running low on. I went through every single piece of patterned paper and figured out if I had matching cardstock for it. What was happening was I would reach for a piece of DP, then try to find a matching piece of cardstock, couldn't find any and them would get frustrated and put that paper back. So, for every piece that didn't have something to match, I put into a pile, and took each piece with me to the store. I then went through and found cardstock to match, which means that I won't have to get frustrated when I want to use a particular piece, which ultimately means less waste. So, I spent about $130 there.

In another thread, I posted pictures of my basement "craft cave", which is an unfinished corner of my basement. There is tons of room for me to create, but I stare at pink insulation and vapour barrier, with cobweb and holes - not very inspiring. So, taking some suggestions, I purchased several white bed sheets and hung them on the walls to cover up that ugly insulation. It makes a huge difference:

Before: Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012-craft-cave-overview.jpg

After: Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012-craft-cave-sheets-003.jpg

The picture of the parrot is a fabric piece that I purchased on my honeymoon that hasn't seen the light of day in 24 years - so I love having it there finally! The total cost was about $62.

So, once again, I am way over budget - hopefully March will be better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #100  
Crimping Master

Oh wow, what a makeover! It's amazing what the sheets made in terms of a difference. It even looks roomier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
In another thread, I posted pictures of my basement "craft cave", which is an unfinished corner of my basement. There is tons of room for me to create, but I stare at pink insulation and vapour barrier, with cobweb and holes - not very inspiring. So, taking some suggestions, I purchased several white bed sheets and hung them on the walls to cover up that ugly insulation. It makes a huge difference:
Looks Great! It really brightens up the place!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #102  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 805 Likes on 328 Posts

Responsible Spending here.

I'll always need cs, envelopes and adhesive. I haven't bought any stamps in several years (I've been stamping over twenty). I'm retired now after teaching for 29 years, so this hobby is a great relief. I sell cards at an art gallery gift shop, so that money is for art and stamping fun. Last month I got a check for $60.00, so I spent that along with the $45 I made from selling an ugly old ring that was my Grandmas. (Not the good Grandma that I loved, the other one - no sentimental attachment there). My husband got me a Big Shot for my birthday last month, so I used the ring and card selling money to buy embossing folders and dies. I have no desire to "collect" dies or efs. I got some basic ones and I'm happy with that.

This month I went to a rubber stamp show and spent only $50.00. Next month I will spend $30 and anything I get from the gallery.

I love Barbara's suggestion of not making a wish list!!
I also find that if I wait a while, I often find I don't want it anymore.

Quote:

I remember seeing your room post on the other thread.
I totally approve of the spending for the sheets! lol;)

What a huge difference, I know you feel like working in there so much more often. Is it warmer with sheets on the wall?

Last edited by sc magnolia; 02-20-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #103  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Looks awesome! Makes your room look brighter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #104  
Insane Embellisher

The sheets are a great improvement!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #105  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I spent nothing in January, and only $50.00 in February. And I made my grandsons Valentine party favors for school with the SU petal cone die. I used white GP cardstock, found candy on sale, dug out all my old embellishments and ribbon, and got those done for under fifty cents a piece.

March, let's see how frugal I can get. The closer I get to thinking about retirement, the more I stand back and scrutinize purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #106  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm so thankful for this thread! It's a great reminder for me that not everyone is buying all the latest products. I followed along last year and wrote down all my purchases and it really helped me reduce my spending in a huge way.

This year, I'm trying to only (or mostly) buy consumables like envelopes and glue. So far, I've only spent $40 on a new blade and mats for my Silhouette. However, there was a lot that I LOVED from CHA Winter so we'll see how I hold out! HA!

Sorting and organizing my stamp room has also helped me see how much I own and have never used.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #107  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessrose21View Post
I'm so thankful for this thread! It's a great reminder for me that not everyone is buying all the latest products. I followed along last year and wrote down all my purchases and it really helped me reduce my spending in a huge way.

This year, I'm trying to only (or mostly) buy consumables like envelopes and glue. So far, I've only spent $40 on a new blade and mats for my Silhouette. However, there was a lot that I LOVED from CHA Winter so we'll see how I hold out! HA!

Sorting and organizing my stamp room has also helped me see how much I own and have never used.
It is so easy to get caught up in the herd mentality of releases of new things without really thinking about how or when we will use them.

We see the videos of CHA and many of the Demonstrators put on a good show. We see the DT samples and fall in love with them and feel we have to have the stuff NOW.

I have a few things I bought that I didn't think out carefully .

When I started I pre-ordered several things and found that by the time I got them the magic had worn off. They were still nice, but not the urgent buy I originally thought they were when I ordered them.
I found that after a couple of doily or flourish die cuts they all start to look alike

Now I wait to see what people are doing with these things before I order them. I also wait for reviews here to see if the stuff lives up to the hype.

Now when I get new things I know exactly what I will do with them, they are not similar to what I have, and and I am excited to get them. I have cut way back on my spending, but I am enjoying what I buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #108  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for this thread Barbara!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #109  
Glitter Guru

I have committed to responsible spending this year. For me, that means no more strolls through my local craft stores, just to see what I can find. They carry a lot of older stock anyway and even with coupons, I can do as well or better online. I have found that buying from Amazon with free two day shipping works for my "gotta have it now" purchases. I am also trying to go for quality, even if it costs a little more upfront. I can't tell you how much money I have wasted on crappy paper cutters! At least the old ones have gone to a good cause, I donated three to one of our local elementary schools. I have also gone cold turkey on paper, I will only buy it if it is absolutely needed for a project I am working on. I have to say, it is much easier to "shop" my stash then to get in the car and drive to the store. I have made a few purchases this month, but all stuff that I have been planning to purchase. No impulse buys, which can really get me!

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #110  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great thread.

Last year I indulged uite heavily on my hobby spending. There were several reason for this including a stressful event, lots and lots of work and I think I just used my hobby as a sort of circut breaker.

This year the work so far has been somewhat less so I don't have the funds I had to play with. But I've also found a different focus outside of my stamping hobby. So now instead of looking thru company blogs and websites I'm using some of that time for other more producive things.

I figure if a product is worthwhile it'll still be a good thing when I have the funds to get it. I got caught up in the latest monthly releases for a while there a few years back, but at the end of the day there aren't too many that I'm real keen on months later.

I must admit I do go for the free shipping. I don't live near shops and used responsibly it can be very economical. Even though I bought a lot last year, I did have the funds and I bought some big ticket items which I'll get a lot of use out of for years to come. I'll probably only get to make a big purchase every quarter instead of every month (or twice a month).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been spending about 75% less on craft stuff and I feel in control of my life since I decided to go back to the way I used to live.
Until recently I never chased sales nor tried to maximize coupons. I bought what I needed and that was it.

I am again shopping for food at the closest grocery store. If they have something on sale that I normally use I will stock up. Other than that I just buy what I need.

When I need something for a project I go to the craft store. If it is on sale or I have a coupon that is great , but if not I am fine with that too. I buy paper by the sheet and only buy what I need for the project and one extra piece in case I mess up. In the past if I needed 2 sheets of paper I would buy 5.

I am not using coupons to buy things I " may" use in the future. It is no savings if I don't use it.

And I am shopping on a day that is convenient for me not the day the store runs a sale and expects me to rearrange my day to go there.

When I order on-line I only buy what I want and pay the shipping. If the shipping is too high I don't buy it. I don't try to find things to buy to boost the total for free shipping.

I have not pre-ordered one thing in more than 5 months. I don't need to be the first to have something and I am not going to buy something I "may " want just because it may be hard to find. If I can't buy it later there is so much out there I will find something else I like . It may sound cold , but if a company doesn't produce or stock enough of something for everyone to buy one that wants it then that is their problem.

I am spending about 75% less and everything I have purchased has been used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel that I did really well in Feb. I ended up spending $44.26. I still haven't made my SU order. I will want to do that during the month of March yet, to benefit from the SAB. I've been trying to do the Get Organized Challenge, so I've been sorting through all my stuff. If nothing else, it's re-introducing me to what I have, and encouraging me to shop from my stash first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara, you think like I do. I do ALL my shopping online, so I can go weeks and weeks without buying a thing-- and did until last weekend. Then, I wanted to try a few new things and have a little fun, so I made a few orders. I spent last weekend what I normally would have spent in a month or less and it was almost all I've spent all year. Amazing.

I've always shopped this way with groceries, but somehow I got in the habit of trying to be wise with my online pennies and it made me pound foolish. That's gone.

I also stepped out of my SU club this year. I just can't justify the expense. If I spend it, great. If not, oh well. It's sad but with our medical bills coming in daily, I've got to do something!

All in all, I think my overall spending this year is down by 60-70% and that includes buying stocking stuffers for next year already!
Reply With Quote Likes