Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #41  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought of something is magazine's included in our budgets like scrapbooking idea books like creating keepsakes? If so i'll have to make sure i curb that tendancy too
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Oh wow! I read so many posts that really spoke to me.
Pixie, I love Sliekje's digi stamps too; they are adorable!!! I so appreciate that someone uses their time and talents and shares it with the world! Hoping I will love my new atg when it arrives; I have to cut costs where I can.
Geogymnast, I like your idea of writing it down. Sometimes, I think the idea of something is more exciting than when it actually arrives. Does that make sense? I've read articles about being frugal, and they always say to ponder purchases for a while before buying. The only exception I make to this is if something is such an awesome find, and I've been wanting it forever. For example, went to a second hand store today, and they had a desk with a formica top, with cubbies on the end and lots of space, for $30. Went to lunch with a friend and thought it over, and decided to get it. I've been using a fold out table (small one), and really could use a sturdier piece of furniture with more working space. It will make my space more functional and attractive. Now, I am going through reorganizing my room and getting things the way I've wanted them. The other tip I read in the past was from a woman who said she doesn't buy things immediately, she writes them down and waits for them to show up at a thriftstore, yard sale, or free from someone getting rid of it, etc..., and she always eventually gets what she wants very cheaply. Your idea reminded me of her's.
Stampy-girrrrl, Your post really hit close to home. While I've always been a little obsessive about things, I didn't have spending issues until I got sick with Meniere's Disease. I have two illnesses, including the Meniere's, that make me dizzy, so many days are a struggle. Between the dizziness, nausea and other symptoms I have, I so enjoy having a hobby when I'm able to work on it; something to look foward to. I should have plenty to keep me occupied for a very, very , long time, so the spending needs to stop, or at least, be very minimal. Thank you for making me stop and think about "why"! It's just so easy when I'm not feeling well to go on the computer and buy something. I need to change my focus; maybe spend more time talking to God, and less thinking about material things or using shopping to distract myself. I don't want anyone to think I am an absolute "shopaholic", because it's not that extreme, but I am dissapointed that I dont' have the strong control I used to. Maybe it's just a symptom of how out-of-control I feel with my life. Although, I know I'm not the only one with medical issues or troubles in their life. Sorry to write a book. Going to pray and think about all the ideas I've read here.
We don't have any craft stores at all in our area, other than WM, so I guess that is a blessing. And my hubby works hard too; so I need to focus on looking out for him, and our mutual goals. So thankful for this thread, and your ideas. It is helping me stay focused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #43  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Oops, forgot to mention, I did save some money today. Instead of buying a large hanging shoebag to hold my punches, I reused a bag I had made in the past and put the others on the cubby of the desk.
Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012-blog_image.jpg
This is an old pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by candukiwiView Post
I just thought of something is magazine's included in our budgets like scrapbooking idea books like creating keepsakes? If so i'll have to make sure i curb that tendancy too
I guess that decision would be up to each individual person. I don't get any magazines, but if I did, I'd figure them into the budget. In addition to craft supplies, I will include new craft storage in my monthly budgets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampy-girrrrrlView Post
I used to think "oh no" it's not going to be available when I need it, or it'll be discontinued so buy 20 instead of 2 or any such thing.... Then I realize that if you "miss out" this time, there is always something new that I like as well or better.
"Now or never" is a great motivator! I need to remember your idea that gone today means something even better tomorrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The wish list became like a hamster wheel. I was always adding things to another rung and peddling as fast as I could to get the things on the next rung.
On sharing sites like this one, I think there is a subconscious "keeping up with the Jones" thing that happens in our brain. We see a beautiful card and we convince ourselves that we need the same die, embossing folder, stamp, etc. to create something as beautiful.

If I had a written wish list, it would have at least 200 items on it. Instead, my wish list is in my head so it's much smaller. It's those dies or stamps that I just can't seem to forget. Thankfully, this old brain doesn't remember nearly as much as it used to. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mind if I join along....I will not be going "cold turkey", but will definitely be more mindful of what I buy this year. I started last year, but this year will make much more of an effort to restrict my spending. My budget isn't the issue as much as I'm running out of room. And, I find that I really enjoy scrapping more than scrapbook shopping. I know that may sound odd, but I really don't enjoy fighting traffic, waiting in lines, etc. I enjoy Archivers, but there's not one within 3 hours of me, so when I go there...that's a treat and I will shop. So for me, my focus will be on just getting "what I need" not "because I have a coupon". And I'm off to a good start! Today I went into Michaels for some tissue paper and a few muffin tins. I didn't walk out with anything else. I looked, but frankly nothing caught my eye, nor do I "need" anything to complete any projects...so I walked out for less than $10. And I had a gift card for my purchase, so I'm left with .18 on it. Ha! I should have bought a chocolate and used it up! Thanks for letting me join in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

I got a new car, so I told my husband I would curb my spending on stamp stuff. So I will have to be more responsible with my money.

That is until I get a raise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

i went into michaels today, only bought a $2 candle! and, i gave the customer behind me my coupon!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

That's a dog food bag?! You are the queen of repurposing! It looks so neat! I empty out the dog food into a plastic bin and then throw away any trash I might have inside the food bags instead of plastic bags as my way of reusing them, but your idea far beats mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Oops, forgot to mention, I did save some money today. Instead of buying a large hanging shoebag to hold my punches, I reused a bag I had made in the past and put the others on the cubby of the desk.
Attachment 238054
This is an old pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
Mind if I join along....I will not be going "cold turkey", but will definitely be more mindful of what I buy this year.
Some of us are also on the 2012 Stamp & Scrap on a Budget. I know for you that it's not a budget issue, but you and others are still welcome to join us: 2012 Stamp/Scrap On A Budget by Lmn at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I don't think I can go cold turkey either... cuz I love paper crafting, so just 90% less than when I used to shop every week to "keep happy". So, it's more like "lukewarm turkey"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #51  
Crimping Master

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammyleeView Post
I got a new car, so I told my husband I would curb my spending on stamp stuff. So I will have to be more responsible with my money.
Way to go!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #52  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixxiewacorgiView Post
That's a dog food bag?! You are the queen of repurposing! It looks so neat! I empty out the dog food into a plastic bin and then throw away any trash I might have inside the food bags instead of plastic bags as my way of reusing them, but your idea far beats mine.
I've used pet food bags for that also, it is reusing!
Thank you! I have made some totes in the past with them also and gave them away. I should probably have sewn them by hand with a large sewing needle. My sewing machine doesn't really like sewing them. It just killed my soul to throw them away, as that duraweave is so durable. That being said, if we got them all the time, there is no way I could save them all. I have to be careful; it's a fine line between keeping to reuse and hoarding. A friend of mine saved me some bird seed bags that are also made of duraweave. They have such pretty birds and colors on them. Here's a few pics of them.
Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012-blog_image-2.jpg

Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012-blog_image-3.jpg

Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012-28chsfs.jpg
Here's a link to a blog I posted on; if you click on the headings, you can see the pictures and posts.
My Frugal Life - Hoptownracer's Frugal Tips and Craft Projects Some of my ideas were BAD-using them for weed blocks, not the best idea! LOL!
One of the reasons I get so annoyed with myself is that I am a frugal/saver at heart. I hate throwing things out, but I have to keep a good balance, as I get easily overwhelmed. Made it through today without spending money! Dare to Dream! LOL! Maybe I should start marking days on the calendar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampy-girrrrrlView Post
I don't think I can go cold turkey either... cuz I love paper crafting, so just 90% less than when I used to shop every week to "keep happy". So, it's more like "lukewarm turkey"
I don't plan to stop buying anything either. I enjoy making cards . However, I do want my life to be more in balance. Not that this hobby take priority over other things I want or need to buy. Prices will go up and things will be discontinued and that doesn't mean I need to rearrange other plans to get them . IF in the future they cost more than I can justify or I can no longer buy them I will just live with that. I must remind myself there are a lot of older SU or PSX stamps that were available before I started and now I can not longer buy them for a resonable price. My life has not suffered without them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #54  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageBrushView Post
Way to go!!!
Thank you! Heated seats and remote start are Awesome!! :razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammyleeView Post
Thank you! Heated seats and remote start are Awesome!! :razz:
Oh my! That is Awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Oh my! That is Awesome!!!
Thank you. And to show my appreciation, I will curb my spending like I said, until I get a raise. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #57  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
My life has not suffered without them.
VERY good thought... that's kinda where I am now (finally). Now that I have manage to spend less on crafty things, I found that my shopping in other areas have decreased as well. For me, it was a habit to spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been a lurker here. I have been being careful with my spending. I had been in a SU stamp club where we had a set amount we needed to spend each month. I discontinued that, but miss the inspiration it gave me. I'm saving that money, but I'm also not making as many cards without that inspiration boost. I don't shop online, and the closest Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Archiver's are an hour away. We have a Joann's 1/2 hour away, but its selection isn't as good as the one an hour away. So, that right there curbs the buying for me.
I feel like I can't go cold turkey though, because on those chance occasions that I do get to those stores, I will buy if it's something I want/will use, at a good price. For example, I drove the hour today to go to a LSS, that sadly, is going to be closing. Had to go check out what they had yet. The sale's been going since the last week of Dec, and the discount was at 40% now. Probably a good thing that so many of the Spellbinder dies were already gone, because I probably would have had to agonize even more over my selections. What I did buy, I really thought through. I thought I did pretty good getting out of there spending $78. Next week they go down to 50%, but I won't be making the drive down again. I'll just keep telling myself that by the time I'd get there, what I'd want would be scooped up already. While I was near the "good" Joann's, I stopped there too. While there, I found some Sizzix embossing folder 2-packs, with a small cutting die with them that came out for Christmas. Before Christmas I refrained from buying, but at 70% off, I bought 3, plus a Bigz die with 2 embossing folders with it too, at 70% off. $31. total for Joann's.
I have not ordered, yet, from the latest SU catalog, but I've got an order that I've been building. With the new mini out, and SAB coming, I will likely put in a large enough order to get hostess benefits too. After getting that out of my system, I will be able to be more serious about curbing the spending. I am going to keep track of my craft spending, so I s'pose I better designate/decorate something to hold my receipts. Jan. and Feb. will be killer months though, because of the spending I've mentioned here. Then I'm going to shop mostly from my stash. I think I can handle that, and be happy with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

We have cut back on a lot lately, craft $$ was at the top of that list. I think it's been more interesting to find ways to recreate a technique or case something with what I have. Definitely makes you think out of the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #60  
Crimping Master

After seeing hoarders firsthand, I made a huge double take. I don't like to save things because they might come in handy some day or because I plan to do something with them someday. I don't keep extra sets of old furniture because they still are usable. I don't keep stuff that doesn't work because I can take it apart and use some parts for other things. I clean the fridge out every month, and check the medicine cabinet for expired things monthly as well. They either get given away or recycled or thrown out. I'm freaked out about becoming a hoarder day by day and then coming to a point where I can't walk in my own place.

I have about 50 sheet sets because I have some stupid obsession over not using them anymore if they get blood on them, but at least the animal shelter takes those in. I just need to sit down and weed out what I want to keep.

I applaud how you actually sat down and used those things, and I read about the thread spools used for ribbon and that's a super cool neat way to reuse. It must be a pain to sew those duraweave bags by hand, though!

My favorite days are the days when I spend no money at all I think I should mark on a calendar those days, too, to motivate myself to spend less. I am cutting back on a few things this new year, including my mobile plan, which would save me $35 a month. I'm going to go on pay as you go and take full advantage of my landline and skype.
Another thing I'm doing is entering as many challenges as possible even if I don't like the price offered, because I can sell anything I win that I don't want to use. And I get to keep the cards, which I could sell or donate or use myself. My ultimate goal is to get published on a magazine.

Quote:

I've used pet food bags for that also, it is reusing!
Thank you! I have made some totes in the past with them also and gave them away. I should probably have sewn them by hand with a large sewing needle. My sewing machine doesn't really like sewing them. It just killed my soul to throw them away, as that duraweave is so durable. That being said, if we got them all the time, there is no way I could save them all. I have to be careful; it's a fine line between keeping to reuse and hoarding. A friend of mine saved me some bird seed bags that are also made of duraweave. They have such pretty birds and colors on them. Here's a few pics of them.
Attachment 238290

Attachment 238291

Attachment 238292
Here's a link to a blog I posted on; if you click on the headings, you can see the pictures and posts.
My Frugal Life - Hoptownracer's Frugal Tips and Craft Projects Some of my ideas were BAD-using them for weed blocks, not the best idea! LOL!
One of the reasons I get so annoyed with myself is that I am a frugal/saver at heart. I hate throwing things out, but I have to keep a good balance, as I get easily overwhelmed. Made it through today without spending money! Dare to Dream! LOL! Maybe I should start marking days on the calendar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

How did everyone do at the mid-month mark? I spent nothing!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It's shameful how much I have that has NEVER seen light of day since I bought it! I'm shopping my stash this year!
AMEN!!! I am nodding vigorously in agreement with you!

Thank you for putting this goal into those particular words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

I wanted January to be a month to spend nothing on crafts, but I spent $12 with a coupon. I bought a bottle of calligraphy ink and some new nibs as mine had gotten rusty from being unused for more than 20 years.

One of my goals for 2012 is to get back to calligraphy. I have not done it in more than 20 years. I see beautiful rubber stamp greetings and sentiments done in calligraphy and know I could letter them myself if I relearned calligraphy . I already write my own card inserts on my computer.

I also pre-ordered a couple of Memory Box dies, but I will count those when they come in and I pay for them.

Even with the Memory Box dies I am within my monthly craft budget. I still want to have 3 months this year without spending any money on crafts . I will try for February to spend nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #64  
Crimping Master

I only spent the $39 dollars I had accumulated on Ebay bucks because those expire, and a few cents to complete one transaction. I got adhesive refills, the Tonic perforator, a prima background stamp (small) and a set of Copic multiliners, the fine tip ones in black.

I am also purging and selling what I can. I've come across a vet emergency. Thankfully I had the money on hand, but it means I'm out $200 for this month. I had a small vet fund and that covered the other third of the bill. Hopefully by selling off a few things I can get back on budget and replenish that vet fund for when the time comes for the yearly shot boosters.

Calligraphy is a very handy skill to have. I know someone who learned it with a kit and now she gets paid to write wedding invitations and diplomas and stuff like that. I have a set I bought in England at a ridiculously huge discount (only paid about $9!) which I need to check out. I haven't even read the beautiful book it included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

So far, I've only spent what I mentioned above, but I've found that I'm going to need a XL crease pad for my BS. Might try to get to Joann's while the 50% off coupon is still in effect, and hope they have it. And then, February is looming, with my big SU order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #66  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainkittyView Post
So far, I've only spent what I mentioned above, but I've found that I'm going to need a XL crease pad for my BS. Might try to get to Joann's while the 50% off coupon is still in effect, and hope they have it. And then, February is looming, with my big SU order.
What is the crease pad for? I bought one and have not used it ever. It's sitting on my desk right now. If you don't find it at Joann's, I could sell it. It has no packaging, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #67  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to spend less this year, but definitely not a cold turkey-er! I also got a ATG rather than buying constant dot roller refills (I'll buy some to keep on hand for more portability, but I've got some BIG projects coming up that I'll need lots of tape for). I've bought stuff for making my sister's wedding invites, and shopped a bit at a few places at the end of December and now TCP and PTI in January. I'm trying to check for used items rather than buy new if possible. I'm not doing a monthly stamp club this year (last year it was $13/month all year). I'm letting coupons expire and have unsubscribed from some emails. I'm also trying to find local people to split orders with, to either reduce the cost of shipping or qualify for free shipping. Lastly, I'm going to try to do more challenges, which will help USE my stuff, and hopefully help me EARN free stuff rather than needing to spend money on it.

Also - not budget related:
I want to learn calligraphy! I'm not having luck finding somewhere locally though. :( I bought a book and have looked through it, and bought some calligraphy markers, but haven't figured out what i'm doing yet. maybe i should watch some youtube videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't spent a nickel on crafts so far this month. I have some Christmas money that I'll probably spend in February, but I plan to stick to my no-buy this month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #69  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
I'm trying to spend less this year, but definitely not a cold turkey-er! I also got a ATG rather than buying constant dot roller refills (I'll buy some to keep on hand for more portability, but I've got some BIG projects coming up that I'll need lots of tape for). I've bought stuff for making my sister's wedding invites, and shopped a bit at a few places at the end of December and now TCP and PTI in January. I'm trying to check for used items rather than buy new if possible. I'm not doing a monthly stamp club this year (last year it was $13/month all year). I'm letting coupons expire and have unsubscribed from some emails. I'm also trying to find local people to split orders with, to either reduce the cost of shipping or qualify for free shipping. Lastly, I'm going to try to do more challenges, which will help USE my stuff, and hopefully help me EARN free stuff rather than needing to spend money on it.

Also - not budget related:
I want to learn calligraphy! I'm not having luck finding somewhere locally though. :( I bought a book and have looked through it, and bought some calligraphy markers, but haven't figured out what i'm doing yet. maybe i should watch some youtube videos.
I was told the main thing about calligraphy is LOTS AND LOTS of practice. You'll want to perfect every single letter. My book suggests looking at pictures of written pieces on the internet, such as old scrolls, etc. Also remember consistency, as in always add the details you choose to each letter. Don't add a swirl to one y and not do it to the next one. You can develop your own particular style but remember to be consistent and learn it thoroughly.

I am thrilled about doing challenges. I have won 2 prizes on January! I won the whole release of January by Flourishes, and on another challenge I won two stamps of my choice from the Pixie Cottage line. This also helps me build up my card stash and use up my supply stash. I enter every challenge I can. If I win something I won't use, I can always sell it! Check out my blog- I add links to the challenges I enter on each post. I'm subscribed to loads of challenge blogs that offer prizes and am always on the lookout for new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I have a few changes to my plan.

1. Cash is bad idea. It's good in theory... if I have it in my hand then I know what I can and cannot spend etc. However, what will happen is that I'll order online with paypal or the debit card, the money will be in my purse, and guess what'll happen to that cash? Gone. Then twice as much is gone as would have been or nearly so.

2. I think I need to plan purchases. For example, I can tell I'm going to need envelopes soon. I need to start searching and be ready for the best price on those SOON. I need a list of "needs" and to knock stuff off as I buy them etc.

A problem I ran into today is that I don't have any good anniversary stamps/sets/etc. The only thing that I know I have that says anniversary on it at all is the teeny tiny wishes. I'm going to need more. I've been asked to make cards for it so then I need something with which to make said cards. No biggie. I can buy one. So I go looking. First I find one at Verve I like a lot. Then I go looking elsewhere. Stop over at GinaK. Nothing over there is really calling my name in the anniversary department but I am seriously ready to purchase several sets. They're sitting there. Calling my name. Add to that the "Simply Jane" (Which is simply not an option-- must purchase. I have friends who write Austen spinoff books), and OUCHIE! LOL

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on the one hand, ouch. But on the other hand, I've spent less this year thus far than I did last year-- by about 75% less. That counts, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #71  
Crimping Master

LOL! I know what it feels like. I must have this or that!
What I do when I order online through paypal is to pay it off right away and go to the bank the next day and deposit the cash that was meant for craft purchases. Put it in an envelope every pay day and just separate it from your normal cash stash. Don't spend it! I used to spend double, too, but things got out of hand so I exerted a bit of discipline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post

1. Cash is bad idea. It's good in theory... if I have it in my hand then I know what I can and cannot spend etc. However, what will happen is that I'll order online with paypal or the debit card, the money will be in my purse, and guess what'll happen to that cash? Gone. Then twice as much is gone as would have been or nearly so.

2. I think I need to plan purchases. For example, I can tell I'm going to need envelopes soon. I need to start searching and be ready for the best price on those SOON. I need a list of "needs" and to knock stuff off as I buy them etc.

A problem I ran into today is that I don't have any good anniversary stamps/sets/etc. The only thing that I know I have that says anniversary on it at all is the teeny tiny wishes. I'm going to need more. I've been asked to make cards for it so then I need something with which to make said cards. No biggie. I can buy one. So I go looking. First I find one at Verve I like a lot. Then I go looking elsewhere. Stop over at GinaK. Nothing over there is really calling my name in the anniversary department but I am seriously ready to purchase several sets. They're sitting there. Calling my name. Add to that the "Simply Jane" (Which is simply not an option-- must purchase. I have friends who write Austen spinoff books), and OUCHIE! LOL

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on the one hand, ouch. But on the other hand, I've spent less this year thus far than I did last year-- by about 75% less. That counts, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
I am sure some people have learned calligraphy from a book, but I learned from a teacher at the Community College. Even though I have not done it in more than 20 years I still remember what she taught us. She sat with each of us in turn and showed us how to form each letter.

I think a teacher is valuable because he/she can watch what you are doing and offer suggestions to correct mistakes or improve. Try your community College or an art supply store if you have one. They often have calligraphy classes. Videos can be great, but when you see your letters don't look right videos and books don't show you how to correct them.
We had a book as a refresher, but not for the initial instructions
Just my 2� worth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the midway mark, I have spent $23 on 100 bulk card bases with envelopes ($14), chipboard Christmas tree books to make a Christmas banner ($2), christmas themed embellishments ($7) - everything was deeply discounted. All of this I purchased using a gift card I got for my birthday, so I don't consider that as "spending" per se.

I am going to an all day crop on Saturday, and there will be several vendors on hand. However, I have pre-planned all of my pages, picked the appropriate background papers, cardstock, and embellishments as best I can using what I already have on hand. So I am hoping that I can resist the urge to shop! The crop is $30, but I paid for it back in November, so am not counting it toward spending this month either.

I guess I can say I haven't "spent" a thing! (Boy, can I rationalize anything if I think about it long enough!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't consider spending a gift card you received for your birthday as spending. It's like they bought you those items, wrapped them up and gave them to you (you didn't spend a penny).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

So happy I stumbled across this! I've joined the 2012 Organization Challenge fromScrapRack this year.

Mainly because my stuff is taking over and as organized as I am in other areas of my life, my craft room is NOT. I also have a LOT of stuff that was donated to me for a school scrapbook club that is no longer and no one took it over. So there it sits.

And I'm a SU demo so have that to incorporate. I plan to get organized so I can use what I have first! Only buy what I need AND on sale or with a coupon. And/or watch for sales on items such as adhesive and envelopes... I plan to use my 'savings' earned to buy the Scraprack system.

Also on the plan is to organize my stash of cards and go their FIRST instead of making a new card if a suitable is there sitting!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

Chautona I think your problem is why a receipt box is valuable. All receipts from on-line or local purchases go in the box to keep track of spending.

I am in the process of changing my thinking.
From " Wow that is a great price for __________ "( fill in the blank) when I see discounted or sale items .
Or "Wow that is a great card I want the stuff she used"
Or "That is being discontinued I better buy it now in case I want it in the future"

To " How often will I "really" use it now or do I have something similar"

Just these new thoughts are changing my view on buying anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

We are getting a new Hobby Lobby on my side of town..just down the street...bad bad bad...lol I am going to have to find some will power.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Hobby Lobby just recently started opening stores in Northern California and the closest one to me is about 35 to 40 minutes away from my house. I think it is a good thing that it is not close by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
1. Cash is bad idea. It's good in theory . . .
2. I think I need to plan purchases . . .
A cut back of 75% is amazing! Hooray for you!!

These challenges aren't designed to keep us from spending. We join them so we think more about our spending and use our craft money more wisely than we did in the past. And it seems that is EXACTLY what you are doing! Kudos!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my... it always amazes me how different people consider distance. I am in the middle of nowhere-- 90 miles from the nearest shopping. a 30-40 minute drive would mean I could go once a week if I wanted!

Then again, people drive that 90 miles just to go get burgers at IN-N-Out
Reply With Quote Likes