Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #41  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am a teacher. One of my most loved gifts is a live plant (a gardenia). Believe me, I am NOT a green thumb but I have babied this plant and kept it alive for several years! Every time I care for it in some way, cut a beautiful flower from it, or smell its gorgeous scent, I am reminded of the student and his mother who gave it to me. You could do a decorative wrap around the pot, create a tag telling about the plant and its care, and a card. This would be appropriate for a male or female teacher!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Some great ideas here! Really love the soup one - going to use that one I think!!!

Last year I just purchased lots of things like pens, post-it notes, paper clips, rubber bands, stickers, etc and put them in a nice gift bag. The teachers loved them and one did comment that she really loved "useable" gifts like that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC DesignsView Post
I made altered clipboards for teachers last year. Is that a good idea or too "teachery"?

NO!!!! I'm a 5th grade teacher and would LOVE it if I received one of those!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow learnerView Post
I too am a teacher. One of my most loved gifts is a live plant (a gardenia). Believe me, I am NOT a green thumb but I have babied this plant and kept it alive for several years! Every time I care for it in some way, cut a beautiful flower from it, or smell its gorgeous scent, I am reminded of the student and his mother who gave it to me. You could do a decorative wrap around the pot, create a tag telling about the plant and its care, and a card. This would be appropriate for a male or female teacher!
I received an African violet for a gift 2 years ago, and it's alive and absolutely gorgeous!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

From reading this thread the idea I got was to create the "trinket" box. Now all the fellow members... I need your creative juices to come up wiht this box that could hold the "special" treasures the teachers get through their year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I like Starbucks... strike that. I'm utterly and totally addicted to starbucks (as MOST teachers are, hence the new free coffee for teachers on monday program), so some kind of coffee-themed altered item/card and a gift certificate would be right up my alley. It's what i plan on making for a couple co-workers and my son's teacher.
I vote for this idea....and I like the altered paint can idea. I found some great coffee themed paper and I'm planning on making them for all my coffee addict friends. Going to put things like a mug, small bag of coffee, those coffee spoons with chocolate that melt when you stir....you get the idea. Could also work with anything else in the can that the teacher may like/need whether it be realted to her classroom or not. Maybe some blank thank you cards, teacher themed stamps and ink, red pens/pencils, stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopduchessView Post
A teacher does not need one thing that says "teacher" on it. No ornaments, picture frames, mugs, nothing. And homemade cookies and candies are always a concern due to sanitary conditions of the kitchen and cooks hands.

The absolute best gift is a gift certificate. A $5 gift certificate is better than yet another "teacher" object or inexpensive thing. Teachers at my school would pool their unwanted perfumes, lotions, key chains, etc. and give them to nursing homes for Bingo prizes. We very much appreciated the gesture and acknowledged the gift but why waste your money. Maybe the room mother could send out a note telling people to donate whatever they would have spent on a gift to one person who could then purchase a really nice gift certificate to a mall or restaurant, and all of the kids could sign the card.
I could write a book about the gifts teachers received over my 31 years of teaching in a very nice suburban district.

I teach high school. I could write a sticky note of the gifts I've received over my 29 years.:rolleyes:
I don't mean to mock you. It's just funny. My students really like me, but wouldn't thing of giving a gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillwestView Post
Last year for my daughter's 2nd grade class I took pictures of all the kids and one group photo (did this during lunch time). I made an 8 x 8 scrapbook with pictures from the class. Each kid had their own page with their individual picture. I was given 15 minutes of class time to be with the kids. The day before I went in during lunch and told them to think about their teacher and what the best part of the year was. When I went in the next day I layed out scraps, stickers, embellishments on the back table and let the kids journal and decorate their individual page. I had extra moms there to help also. It turned out really nice. The whole class felt like they gave a gift.
I did something like this last year. My DD graduated from high school. She was co captain of Dance Company. I also teach at that school. So, I invited the girls to come for a couple of days after school to make a scrapbook for the dance teacher. We printed tons of pictures, and I brought in tons of supplies. It was great to have some of these things used! We made a whole scrapbook in about three afternoons, and the teacher had to have loved it! I know I did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #49  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I also vote for gift certificates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

At the end of the year last year, I gave the teacher and aides in my daughter's pre-preschool class this. Inside was a Starbucks card.

This year I am considering a perpetual calendar with note cards for the ladies and have to come up with something for the male aide in the class.

After reading this, though, I like the idea of the movie paint can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Last year I made tile coasters for the teachers My son had a male teacher too, he loved them (or so he said..hehe)Just stamped a different image on each set and voila!
Quote:

Originally Posted by rfowler838View Post
I make my holiday gifts for the kids teachers every year. This year my daughter had a male teacher for 4th grade. Everything I want to make is too girly for him. Any suggestions? I will welcome all!
Kindly,
~Eve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

What did you stamp on your coasters?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so glad that this thread was posted! I now know what to *not* give my daughters kindergarten teacher lol! I love the idea of a gift card and note card set. That is probably what i will do!
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes