Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: How many holiday cards do you mail out each December?
None! 7 2.08%
1-10 13 3.87%
11-30 70 20.83%
31-50 95 28.27%
51-75 71 21.13%
76-100 54 16.07%
101-150 17 5.06%
151-200 3 0.89%
201-300 0 0%
301+ 6 1.79%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas Cards

How many Christmas and holiday cards do you make and mail out each December? Are you the kind of person who sends one to everyone you know, or are you the kind of person who only sends them to close family and friends? Do you send them to people who don't send you Christmas cards? Do you send the same card to everyone, or does each recipiant receive a unique card?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I send out about 20, and only to family and close friends. I do send to people that don't send cards. I've made cards for the past few years and everyone gets the same, although a couple of years ago everyone got a different one because I sent out the ones I made at various stamp camps/classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I'm more excited about making Christmas cards than actually sending them. Last year I made about 50 cards and only sent out about 35 of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I send my cards out to close friends and family. Last year I sent out close to 50 and everyone was different. This year I am making 8-10 different designs. Much quicker that way and easier on my less than creative mind!!

yup, I send them to people who don't send cards to me, but that part doesn't matter to me. I enjoy the making and sending of them anyway. To me it isn't about getting the most cards, but closer to 'sending the most cards' out! heehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I send about 30 to close family and friends. It doesn't matter if they send me one or not. I have about 20 that are of the same design and the rest are unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I send out between 30-40 to family and friends that are close. I also give to neighbors along with a cookie treat for Christmas. I definitely make all the same design or I would spend hours trying to decide who gets what card. Also I send to those who don't send to me. Getting cards in the mail always brightens my day and what better time to send that joy to others than the holidays!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts

I usually make all my cards the same, regardless of who they are being sent to. This year, I may make 2 sets like many others do. Do you ever forget which set you've used each year? I don't like to use the same set each time for my cards.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

ummm I send out probably close to 75+ cards...all handmade...

In previous years I participated in a bunch of X-mas card swaps so I had a variety of cards to choose from and sort of matched the person to the card - KWIM...

This year I am doing up batches of about 20 of each card (so 4-5 different cards) and will send those out...I do sort of pick and choose - those people that i know will really appreciate my work get my nicer more embellished cards...those that i am pretty sure will trash it at the end of the season get my 1 layer quick but nice cards...

Last year the ones I made myself I kept a copy so I don't make those again...same for this year...I usually buy myself a new holiday stamp set each year to make the bulk of my cards so no chance of making the same card every year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPapersView Post
How many Christmas and holiday cards do you make and mail out each December? Are you the kind of person who sends one to everyone you know, or are you the kind of person who only sends them to close family and friends? Do you send them to people who don't send you Christmas cards? Do you send the same card to everyone, or does each recipiant receive a unique card?

30+ easily! Family and close friends. I have a BIG family! Yes , I send to people I don't receive from. Not everyone gets the same card. I make 5 or so of the same cards so I have quite a few different cards.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #10  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I make a few of several designs and some unique ones. I just keep going until I have enough and then in the mail they go!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I almost clicked on none, because I generally do not send Christmas cards. But I do send about 2-3 to some family and friends that live out of town and we don't see them over the holidiays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I send between 100-150 and do multiple designs as I find it boring to repeat the same card over & over. So far this year I have 5 designs and think I'll do 1 or 2 more.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

we send out over 300 cards. so i do not make all the cards, i only send out hand made cards to immediate family and very close friends, which is probably about 30 handmade cards...and everyone gets the same one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I voted none. I don't send Christmas cards cuz I just have too many to make. Last year I didn't send any at all. I come from a HUGE family and most live in the same town. My friends are mostly close too. I see most everybody so cards are not so necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually send cards on the "every other year" plan....lol! Last Nov. I finished our cards and never finished getting the Christmas letter together, printed, wheeled, folded, etc. so by the time it was early March, even I was too embarrassed to send them out! But I still have the cards and this year our friends will get a double whammy...last year's photo and letter plus this year's! AND I already have a great photo for the cards, too.

I did manage to make and send out a pretty healthy stack of VERY simple single layer Christmas cards to my best customers (all of my stamp club ladies and all hostesses from the past year plus a few others who are wonderful customers) and I am thinking that maybe I will try to do that again this year since I can't use the excuse of having to make our family cards. Now to find them.....pretty sure they are down there in the stamp room SOMEWHERE!!! If I start now, I might actually get them mailed before Christmas...and I voted in the 76 to 100 category, but that's just for personal family cards. Yes, we send a lot...military family lots of moves but many good good friends and my spouse and I both grew up in small towns so are still in touch with school friends as well. I don't send local cards to friends since they see me from time to time and we stay caught up that way....it would break the bank otherwise! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually in the "norm" on this one. I do about 40 cards to mail, all the same design. It's the only time I duplicate my designs. I don't much like duplicating, but it helps me to keep track of which sets I use each year.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I simply can not imagine sending out 300 a year. Since I've been married we have not sent cards to anyone. But I'm hoping that this year we can do it considering somewhere I have about 80 boxes of cards we bought not dated so if we forgot we could use them the next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

I make and send about 50 to friends and family. I didn't include this in the numbers above, but this year I am making about 50 more for the troops in Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I am not sure exactly how many I send out but I think it is in the 50-75 range. I love making the cards so I send them to everyone BUT there are different types of cards that get sent. there are the simpler cards that go to folks that I know won't pay attention or really care what they get, more elaborate cards for friends and family, and a couple "prime" cards that go to immediate family. I don't like making a ton of cards the same so I make small batches of a variety of cards. I plan to go through the cards I have made so far this weekend and figure out how many more I need to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I send about 60 hand made cards to every member of our ginormous family and a few friends of the family (there aren't too many). In other words, I send a hand made card to everyone I know. NOT including all of these fab ladies on here. That might need to change though! I haven't sent out a store bought card in about 5 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I send out about 120 or so each year. I do keep a list of those who send cards to me; but often still send out a card to them. I make all of the cards; but for those people who will pitch them after the holidays I devote far less effort (although still come up with something nice).

I generally make 15- 20 designs with a handful of one-time, unique cards for very special people like my parents, adopted grandpa, grandma and such!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I send out about 25-30 to my family and friends. DH's side gets bought ones.. ugh! I got tired of them destructively critizing my hand made ones. I amd for the first time using one stamp set only. it will be much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettyjoanesView Post
I send out about 25-30 to my family and friends. DH's side gets bought ones.. ugh! I got tired of them destructively critizing my hand made ones. I amd for the first time using one stamp set only. it will be much easier!
who could blame you for that??? I definitely think twice about sending hand stamped cards to those who look at them and think, "man, she really needs to get a life!" and then the cards get tossed!

However, I have heard back from various friends and relatives that they have actually saved ALL of the hand stamped cards I have ever sent them! WOW, what a lovely compliment!

My favorite comment was when my FIL asked me (in all sincerity), "why do you wrap your cards in that Saran Wrap?". lol! He meant the clear acrylic envies!!! As soon as he said it, his wife poked him and said, "honey, that's not Saran wrap, those are envelopes!". lol! It's been several years since that happened but it still cracks me up every time I think about it...but at least he remembers the cards! ;-) Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerzawayView Post
My favorite comment was when my FIL asked me (in all sincerity), "why do you wrap your cards in that Saran Wrap?". lol! He meant the clear acrylic envies!!! As soon as he said it, his wife poked him and said, "honey, that's not Saran wrap, those are envelopes!". lol! It's been several years since that happened but it still cracks me up every time I think about it...but at least he remembers the cards! ;-) Jan
Dang, you must be some kind of talented to get the Saran Wrap around each card so neatly--every time I tear off a sheet, it's all wadded up before I even finish tearing. . . .

Seriously--love the clear envies for Christmas cards. With all the work that goes into those suckers, I want everyone who touches them to have a chance to enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I send about 20-25 to family and friends. I don't make them, I know everyone gets a bazillion cards each holiday and even if someone recognizes mine as handmade and special they haven't the time or energy to acknowledge it. I hate the holiday stress as it is, I don't want to add to it by trying to squeeze in the making of 20+ cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #26  
MnM
Crimping Master

We mail over 500 each year.......
... most of them are business related.
about 100 are friends and family and internet buds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I'm planning to do approximately 150 this year. All of them handmade and all of them the same design. I send them to friends, family, and then my husband's immediate employees, as well as other aquaintances/friends from his work, and then my SU customers (they might get a different design, depends on how big our list gets and if I want to show them something fun and different). I only do one design so I can mass produce and do them one step at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #28  
Vintage Vixen

Last year I sent about 20 cards to family and friends. My parents and my closest cousin got special 3-panel cards because I know they enjoy displaying my cards. Then I created about 4-5 different designs for other friends and family members. I have a few friends who don't send cards or write letters, but I still send them a Christmas card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I always have good intentions of making the cards and sending them out, but time is always a factor!! I would have a hard time choosing who to send them to! I have a lot of people on my list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #30  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I make and send about 60 cards ( handmade ) each year. I make a few different designs - ( because I get sick of the repetition of them ) plus it's nice to be able to pick different ones for different people. I still find I have to glitter, layer etc etc my cards - if I don't like them, I won't send them! I don't mind spending the extra postage for my cards - heck, it's just once a year!!! Last year my sister paid me the ultimate compliment... she is a great sister, but she speaks her mind! And , she is not a card maker. She said - I must say so many of this years Christmas cards were so dull - but not yours!!! And she tells me most homemade cards are not so great - but she likes my style!!! Wow!!!! And believe me, she'd tell me straight! So - that kinda keeps me going!

And, yes I send to people who don't send back. I keep hoping that they will !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #31  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I think I'll be sending around 80 or so this year.

I don't send cards locally except to my couple of stamping buddies. But I've moved - family is in PA, friends in Atlanta, and friends in Florida. And DH has family friends on the list that are all over!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 01:42 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I make them for me and for my Mom to send out and it totals around 50 for both of us. Seriously, since I started stamping, I haven't bought a card. Wince my per card cost is probably $1000, how could I?? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #33  
Watercolor Wizard

I send out photo Christmas cards of my boys so I make only a select few Christmas cards. Normally they are for both sets of parents, my boys teachers and my hubby's boss. I mail out about 100 photo cards and I couldn't imagine the time involved if I were to make 100 Christmas cards! This time of year is too stressful as it is and I've been trying to simplify (key word here is trying... lol).

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:20 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Lately Christmas holidays have come and gone without cards being sent. A wonderful friend with 4 kids always sends Easter Cards -- that often arrived a few months late. I've adopted the practice and try to send Thanksgiving and Easter messages/cards out. That way I keep in touch with relatives and friends at least twice a year. However all the lovely Christmas designs I've seen are very enticing so will probably discipline myself and change my ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 369 Likes on 271 Posts

I make and send about 30 to family and friends, most out of town. I will only send to those who reciprocate except for 2 or 3 older relatives who don't send cards because of cost or infirmaty. I started making 2 designs each year just to keep the boredom factor away for me! I do try to make a note on my list who gets what card in case I have extra so I can just send the alternate card the following year. I try to make my cards early..this year they were made and done in August...that way I can take them out in December and ooh and ahh over them and not be totally sick of them! HA! It seems that I also alternate between more involved cards one year and "easy" but impressive looking the next. The involved ones ususally would have more steps or coloring...and when I'm done with those I say "never again"!...That lasts for the following year and then I end up doing it again....it's a vicious cycle..LOL..I do love hearing from folks how much they love my card and how special it is...Some comment every year and say they look forward to receiving it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

I usually make about 150 cards for family, friends, DH's co-workers, and my co-volunteers (is that a word?). I make six or seven different designs just because I would get too bored making so many of just one or two. Family and friends get a more elaborate design. Yes, I send to people who don't reciprocate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

I'm in the 50-75 range... usually around 60. They're all hand made, and generally all the same--that way I can do assembly line and it's not as bad as it sounds. I send them out to family and friends, and some that don't send cards to me. Each year I try to pare down who I send to though. I dunno.. it just seems so silly to send a card to someone to whom I've not seen or even spoken to in 10+ years! I also really need to pare down the involvement of the card. Each year I say I'm going to do something simple.. easy. But each year there's a million steps per card. Last year I even hand-stitched every single card. Ugh. This year I promise it will be MUCH simpler!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

My vote was for none. I make them each year, but always fail to mail them. Needless to say I have a major stockpile going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

I make a different card for as many people as possible and of course have left over cards that I need to donate to the local nursing homes or hospitals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

We send out just over 150. We don't send them to everyone we know. We send them only to our closest friends and family. Do we get a card back from everyone? No. Oddly, you would think with the amount that we send that we wouldn't get cards from people we didn't send to, but we do. Without fail we get about 10-15 cards from friends we didn't send one to.

When I make my cards I make anywhere from 4-10 of one design. It depends on how labor intensive it is and how quickly I lose interest in the design.

Reply With Quote Likes