Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2004, 07:59 PM   #81  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubadubdub
AAAAAGH! At the top of this page I saw an ad for "Stampin' Up Sale" and it was a link to Ebay auctions!
LOL....at least it fits into the discussion!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #82  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=stampinup(r) There is the page to SU! policy for Ebay.... what policy is it that you are wanting to read? We aren't making it up. There is NO WAY that this many people got this promotion gift just donated to them from a demo. Like Fab said, if you are a sincere demonstrator, you would NEVER part with it, but rather use it as it was intended.... to promote upcoming events. And, if you HONESTLY got this set as a gift, aren't a demo, and choose to sell it on Ebay.... you wouldn't have to end your auction early. ;)

We aren't trying to come off as mean, but the reason it seems we are all "sticking" together is that we are all passionate about "our" company. SU! is awesome! They treat us good and they are very upstanding and reputable. WE also work very hard and what we do... what we LOVE. It's sad to see a few trying to tarnish, or hurt that. It hurts us all when people don't follow the rules.

And I'm totally not upset, or uptight or anything.... so I hope you aren't reading any of that into my post. After one member here had so much fun taunting our AngFAB.... I must say, it feels good to see that someone posted to anyone who will look that they can get this set for %50 off in March!

And, like BREEEETA..... I can sleep at night!! I don't know how anyone could be so dishonest. I guess it's cauze I am DEFINITELY whacky too!!!

Have a wonderful holdiday! Sorry we can't get the exact info you are looking for.

~C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #83  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by karinlm
...if a Demo gives away a set by choice and it gets listed on Ebay without her knowing it doesn't mean the lister is "wrong" even though you wouldn't do it.
As stated earlier in a previous post, even if the demo does not like/care for/not her taste, the set it can be utilized for the upcoming March promotion.

Gifts are not meant to be given away for the sole intent of becoming money making tools for friends.

IMHO, that is exactly what has transpired.

Any demo giving this set away to a 'friend' without the knowledge of the resell power of Sincere Salutations on eBay at this moment in time needs to increase their consumption of fish and any other brain food. :lol: (Comment made with the utmost humor intended.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:25 PM   #84  
Insane Embellisher

I just wanted to add my 2 cents (from experience) here when it comes to ebay ending an auction because it is against a third party's "rules." I used to buy paper piecing/tole books, scan them, and then sell the original book on ebay. Well, I thought I would be nice and include a copy of the cd with all the scanned images on it. Boy was I surprised one morning when I woke up to an email from Annie Lang (I was selling one of her books at the time.) She politely asked me to remove the auction because I was infringing on the copyright law of scanning the book (which she knew cause I included the cd). She told me if I did not remove (or relist without the cd) then she would turn me into ebay. Even though she was part of the VERO program with ebay, ebay didn't know to cancel my auction - they had to be contacted by her. (Needless to say I was sooo embarrased and relisted right away and never included a cd again.)

Just think of how many listings there are on ebay every single day. Stampin Up has a hard enough time trying to track auctions just with the words "Stampin Up" let alone think ebay should be canceling all these auctions. I personally think ebay is a wonderful place to buy and to sell and it makes me mad when I see all these comments about how ebay is just out to get money. Isn't most businesses in the business to make money? And what is important to us as stampers or demonstrators isn't necessarily important to the rest of the world.

I'll also include this......some of my customers frequent this site a lot. I have chatted with a few of them that tell me some of the comments posted about all of this really makes them angry with demos and lose respect of demos because of some of the things that have been said by some of them. I think sometimes we get so fired up that we type before thinking of what we are actually saying and who will be reading it. Many times some things I read make me angry but instead of typing right then, I close it down, walk away, and see how I feel about it later.

I also have one other customer that didn't even think to look on ebay for sellabration sets until she read it here. She can't afford to put in an order of $300 to get all six sets so she figured after reading posts here, she would go to ebay and buy the rest of the sets she will not earn. Do we not realize that sometimes we hurt ourselves by posting comments about ebay? We demos know there are sets on ebay and we know that they make most of us ANGRY, but does it really do any good to post about them here just to get our anger out (that is all that happens, we just vent - most of the time venting will not get the auctions pulled from ebay) when in return our customers could get the idea to buy off ebay? Had I known that my customer wanted other sets but couldn't afford to earn all of them, I would have offered her some kind of deal since I will be earning more than enough SAB sets to share. But by the time I was able to talk to her about it, she had already bought a set off ebay. (By the way, she is an out of state customer that just recently moved and doesn't want to find a new demonstrator - for those that are wondering why she didn't just have a workshop.)

Just my 2 cents worth!

Robin Levtov

Robin
Navy wife and mom to Josh!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #85  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Breeeta...like Rita??????????? :shock: :shock: :shock: Man I've been saying it wrong all this time??????? Dang!!!!

Way to go to the Ebay "not for sale" lister!!!

I don't have the energy tonight to really get into this with y'all...just had to say - Breeeta????????? Really?????

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #86  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just have to say, I think most of us are very respectful and not angry at all over this issue. I think customers reading it (for the most part) can appreciate how hard we work and share our aggravation. I have said over and over I have nothing against demos selling on Ebay as long as they are following SU! policies. I'm pretty confident about my customers staying with me because of our relationship, but... if they choose to risk buying from someone on Ebay, then well, that's okay... they will still come to me when they want to learn something new or have some fun at a workshop! I just think it STINKS that a few bad apples take advantage of our wonderful company and THEIR policies.

I do however, think it is quite clever of the cool chick who posted her set for "non" sell to inform others of this RIP OFF!!

Happy Holidays!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #87  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, just have to add another $ .02 worth:

(And I see that SEVERAL posts have already been made as I sit here and think this through)

First of all, Julie, I am also a demonstrator and I understand your frustration. I just think that this is a case where 2 wrongs don't make a right. E-bay has strict guidelines about their postings also:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ng-titles.html

She has nothing for sale, her title is misleading and, therefore, she is in violation of e-bay guidelines. I'm just saying that her anger is misplaced. Personally, I think SU! should have some sort of statement on their home page regarding this.

As far as e-bay making their money off the posting--$ .35 top! Which they will refund when they realize that it is a bogus posting.

The E-bay VERO guidelines strictly address copyright issues and where SU! stands on the use of their images. Again, I say, it is not E-Bay's responsibility to police who is a demonstrator, what sets are current, etc.

Okay, okay this has been more like $.10 worth--I'll shut up now.

Kathy

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/catalogs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #88  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, it's me again (sorry)

I just have such a hard time being quiet.

Just have to say--I took another look at her "auction" amd I see that she cancels every bid that is made--again she is stretching the e-Bay rules.

I took this directly off of the E-bay site:
Examples of legitimate bid cancellations:
The bidder contacts you to back out of the auction.
You are unable to verify the bidder's identity, after trying all reasonable means of contact.
You want to end your listing early because your item is no longer available for sale. In this case you must cancel all bids on your listing before ending it.

I guess you can tell, I am a big fan of E-Bay. And I am also a big fan of following the rules, so don't think I applaud what these sneaky demo's and friends of demo's are doing either.

Okay, I'm really going to shut up this time

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 09:22 PM   #89  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's cool is that at least we all have the freedom to have our own opinions and to express them!

This particular thread has been relatively tame and I think everyone has pretty much voiced their opinions on the issue without being rude or disrespectful.

Some like Ebay; some do not. Personally, I prefer not to shop there and prefer not to sell there.

Quote:

I just think that this is a case where 2 wrongs don't make a right.
. . . I can't say I see it that way, but, everbody has a perspective and they're entitled to it.

I think, generally speaking, we can agree to disagree gracefully, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 09:28 PM   #90  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree Julie.... I think we can all agree to disagree. I don't see it that way either.

She states in the description that she is not selling the set. She also doesn't seem angry to me. I think she is doing a great thing for the poor bidders out there who are thinking they are getting something as a "deal" when they can get it in a couple months for a fraction of what the auctions are ending for. Kinda cool to me! I'd be very happy as a Ebayer to find that out!

Did you ever think maybe it's a SU! insider? LOL Go get em SU!

Okay... off to bed. Have a great evening!
~C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 03:12 AM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambria
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=stampinup(r) There is the page to SU! policy for Ebay.... what policy is it that you are wanting to read? We aren't making it up. There is NO WAY that this many people got this promotion gift just donated to them from a demo.
~C
I read this last night. If that is all SU says than, without making assumptions, the listers are within their right to list this set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambria
There is NO WAY that this many people got this promotion gift just donated to them from a demo. Like Fab said, if you are a sincere demonstrator, you would NEVER part with it, but rather use it as it was intended.... to promote upcoming events. And, if you HONESTLY got this set as a gift, aren't a demo, and choose to sell it on Ebay.... you wouldn't have to end your auction early.
And you know this how? Because there are a large number of demo's on this board that wouldn't give up the set? If this set was a true gift, was sent to them as only a gift and they want to give it away than so be it...it doesn't matter whether you agree or not with their decision to do so. Again, assumptions are being made that we can only say because we have a "feeling". And if someone started sending me harassing emails (like I have a feeling some people are) I would end the auction just to get them off my back and relist it at a later time. The assumptions really have to stop IMO.

Quote:

As stated earlier in a previous post, even if the demo does not like/care for/not her taste, the set it can be utilized for the upcoming March promotion.

Gifts are not meant to be given away for the sole intent of becoming money making tools for friends.

IMHO, that is exactly what has transpired.
And if that is what transpired that is their choice. A gift is a gift. If I decide I don't want the gorgeous Italian Charm Bracelet that DH is giving me for Christmas I can certainly turn around and sell it if that is what I so choose to do (of course if I had to sign a contract w/ DH that I wouldn't sell it on Ebay I wouldn't LOL).

Is the word "promotion" used in the letter that came with the gift???

Quote:

I'll also include this......some of my customers frequent this site a lot. I have chatted with a few of them that tell me some of the comments posted about all of this really makes them angry with demos and lose respect of demos because of some of the things that have been said by some of them.
You are so right. There are Demo's here that I would NEVER do business with :( It has nothing to do with their opinions on Ebay either. It also makes me sad because I feel like they give small business' a bad name :(

Quote:

I'm pretty confident about my customers staying with me because of our relationship, but... if they choose to risk buying from someone on Ebay, then well, that's okay... they will still come to me when they want to learn something new or have some fun at a workshop!
I am so glad you said this Regardless of what business you are in business is business. There is absolutely no reason to look down on a customer who bought the same item cheaper but at a different "store". As a small store owner myself I can't always get the best prices on things but I do offer top notch customer service. I have found that a customer tends to spend more (I'm not sure why) if I tell them honestly that they can get a spool of organdy ribbon (no, as of right now I'm not in the craft business) at a local craft store than they can from me

Kudos for the person who brought up that two wrongs don't make a right! They don't and I'm surprised that some of you don't feel they do. You are upset that listings on Ebay for this set are being put up by assumed demo's yet when a demo that admits that she is a demo breaks the rules its OK :( :( :( :( :( Thats just not right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 04:23 AM   #92  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

karinlm I went to bed last night and thought about this, which in itself bugs me b/c I should be thinking of sugarplums... (but I digress)

Let's see if I can sum this up before I go look at the awesome gallery on this site!

Many demos do not like the auctioning of this product and feel it violates SU policy, and would like to draw attention to the listing that gives out information about the set.

You (and I am sure others) do not feel it is inappropriate to sell the set, and the people are within their rights and policies to sell the set. You do not agree with the auction of inofrmation without a real product.

I am not going to go back and quote and requote every person on this thread and decide publicly what I think of each of their statements. I have said my peace on the matter, and I think it is safe to say we do not agree on this point and move on.

I went back to the TOS and re-read this part:

Quote:

You don't have to agree with another member's opinion, but we ask that you respect that person enough to realize that it is THEIR opinion, which may differ greatly from your own.
I think that is the point where we are. We disagree (and you may feel I am right or wrong-that is not the issue). You have your opinion, I have mine and we are each entitled to it.

For those of you who are reading this-now go post some comments!! LOL

**edited for spelling! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 04:55 AM   #93  
Pearl-ExPert

WOWZA! I see ebay remains a hot topic! I can't add much that hasn't already been said on this and all the other ebay threads, but at least one person has voiced, and maybe others are wondering too, WHAT the big deal is...

I am just one opinion, but I feel confident I share this opinion w/many.

The reason this is so irritating to me is that THIS SET - Sincere Salutations - was a GIFT. There is NO OTHER way (besides ebay ) to get this set from Stampin' Up! unless you are an active demo'r or recently signed a contract to be a demo'r. I feel the same way when I see the new mini sets on ebay the MONTH before they are available to all. THE ONLY WAY to get those items in advance is to BE A DEMONSTATOR. Now it has been suggested that we are all jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. I say ONE MORE TIME that I find it highly unlikely that all of these promotional items were "given as a gift" from your awesome demo'r. If your demo'r is so awesome to do that I can't BELIEVE you would insult her by selling your GIFT on ebay.

Secondly, in this season of giving, the other reason this bugs me is, again, THIS WAS A GIFT!!! It is just plain tacky and rude, imho, to turn around and sell your GIFT on ebay. I'm sure the giver will be sorry to hear that you didn't like the item. YES - it's yours, you got it as a gift, blah blah blah, but common courtesy says you say thank you for thinking of me.

With regards to whether this set is current or not: The Stampin' Up! policy, as posted by others, states that ALL items are considered current (this includes mini catty items as well as this promo set) until the next catty comes out and it is no longer included. SO going back to the summer mini, holiday mini, those sets that you can't get right now are in fact CURRENT sets. Hope this clears it up!

Off to the gallery. I always feel so good when I get nice comments on my cards and I love even more the warm fuzzies I get when I leave them for someone else! It's so COOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, since I started this one I just have to comment.

I agree with AngFab, we ALL know that sets which are ONLY available to active Demos do show up on Ebay. Please don't keep saying "customers" have a right to sell on Ebay, of course we all know they do. However, when items show up that are ONLY available to Demos how did these "customers" get them before they are available? Please don't tell us they were "given" to them. We are not stupid, SU is not stupid, and Ebay is not stupid.

As I say with everything in life, if people would put so much energy towards legitimate endeavors in life, think of what this world would all have going for it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 AM   #95  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyokat
Is it just me--I guess it is, because everybody is praising the actions of the lady who listed "nothing" for sale on e-bay. I think that is just a little vindictive. She has taken advantaage of e-bay and their format as an auction site to auction "Nothing." E-bay is a legitimate business venue--they are not responsible for knwing or enforcing SU! policy. Why take advantage of them?

Kathy
You must not have ever sold on eBay. This auction had an insertion fee. Ebay is being paid to have this auction there. Money is what auction sites are about.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:04 AM   #96  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was tempted to begin bidding on the "no set for sale auction" just to show support. What a hoot to get bragging rights for that honor. Remember the "no dinner dinner" episode on Home Improvement? But, alas, I don't have the guts. . .
I wanted to bid to cover her fee, but eBay would just make more off the final value fee. :(

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Excuse me if this point has been made. The presumption has been stated that possibly this set was given to her and that she decided to sell it. At the time that this thread started this person had 7 sets for sale. The 6 SAB sets and the Sincere Salutations. She was selling 7 sets that could not yet be purchased. What Demo would give (as a gift to 1 person) 7 sets not yet available?

She is either a demo or is working with a deceptive demo. Either way she knows what she is doing is wrong. All of her auctions have since been pulled.

Off to the galleries to see the great creations!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:10 AM   #98  
Pearl-ExPert

Anyone else wanting to give this person the benefit of the doubt, please look:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=3&completed=1

Do you really think she is a customer or a demo?

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #99  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by datgh
Now why didn't we think of that. Great job!!!!! I Hope e-bay lets it go all the way so many people get to read it.
well all of us with an ebay account could do the same thing. Maybe we should just always have some 'auctions' going that way the message is continually there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

Great idea!! I wish whoever posted it would have put a counter on it so we could see how many have looked at it!! I hope alot of people look at it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #101  
Glitter Guru

WooHoo! That was a wonderful idea!

I actually sent this link to all of my customers as an "EBay shoppers beware" message. I think this will help maintain loyalty to their #1 SU! Demonstrator!

Way to go to whoever posted that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 AM   #102  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was tempted to begin bidding on the "no set for sale auction" just to show support. What a hoot to get bragging rights for that honor. Remember the "no dinner dinner" episode on Home Improvement? But, alas, I don't have the guts. . .
I had the same thought. If we can get it really high then lots of people will take notice. The problem is the seller gets dinged on the high bid price unless she says that the high bidder didnt pay (which they wont and shouldnt because nothing is actually for sale) or she can submit a non paying bidder and then who ever had the high bid gets dinged because they didnt pay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just found out about the whole ebay ordeal(I've been living in a world of thermometers and puke buckets) and I just have to say that the whole ebay fiasco disgusts me more than the sickness at my house.
Of course the person ebaying is either a demonstrator or a demonstrator's accomplice! And you are naive if you think otherwise!
When I am so inclined to prepurchase sets, I cherish them! When Stampin' Up! gives me a set as a token of their heartfelt thanks, I cherish it!
What makes me even more angry, is the fact that this demonstrator is obviously in a place in her business where these sets are not cherished...meaning she probably has extensive downline, high sales and is earning Great Rewards, and cruise points when the rest of us who are conducting our business in an appropriate manner are merely scraping by.
It is sickening, disgusting, rude, malicious and completely WRONG to sell these sets on ebay.
I have every faith that Stampin' Up! will discover who this person is because obviously she is not very bright to sell these sets in such a manner to make it OBVIOUS that she is a demonstrator that is violating so many of her demonstrator agreement points.
I applaud anyone that takes a stand against people like this! It seems like such a small thing to do. But if you take just one customer from these people, it's worth it! If whoever posted the "FABULOUS" ebay listing, emails me, I will pay any fees she incurred! This was a bloody BRILLIANT move! Kudos!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:18 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23
Anyone else wanting to give this person the benefit of the doubt, please look:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=3&completed=1

Do you really think she is a customer or a demo?
she has doubles of the set which probly means she has had to purchase a second kit at some point to meet a quota.. or something.. and received the second set and has them both for sell.

no i dont think she is a customer. the crazy scenarios being given are crazy.. people just dont work like that.
i receive sooo much joy out of helping someone out.. or giving my money to something that is in need.. there is no joy in making a buck and screwing someone..

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:24 AM   #105  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc82742

she has doubles of the set which probly means she has had to purchase a second kit at some point to meet a quota.. or something.. and received the second set and has them both for sell.

no i dont think she is a customer. the crazy scenarios being given are crazy.. people just dont work like that.
i receive sooo much joy out of helping someone out.. or giving my money to something that is in need.. there is no joy in making a buck and screwing someone..
Did you also notice that if you click on one of her SAB sets, she used SU's copyrighted set images from the website? With the copyright notice showing!!

Now, I don't think that is available to customers yet so I am guessing they got copied from the demo section.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:34 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW! I was just looking at the completed auctions for one of the ebayers and she actually has completed sales for TWO sets of SAB sets! She must have TWO great demo'rs giving her gifts! She must be one AWESOME customer to be rewarded like that from her demo'r.

I take back everything I said! I was wrong to make assumptions. Clearly this person is someone we should all look up to! She is obviously just sharing her love of stamping with others, and NOT in fact trying to make money on hot sets she got from her "friend". I apologize! I was WRONG!

(I agree - I too want to PUKE!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 AM   #107  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Like I've said over and over... you can pick apart my post all you want... I can have my own opinion, I have NO problem with Ebay or people selling or buying there!! I have a PROBLEM with people being dishonest and hurting this company I LOVE. Selling that gift (yes the word PROMOTION is used on the THANK YOU note) is WRONG..... and I'm not assuming anything. It's WRONG.

As far as the FABULOUS demo who posted the auction, I don't see anything wrong with her warning customers that they are bring RIPPED OFF. And. like someone else stated.... that would be up to Ebay to take care of IF she has done something against their policies by listing it. But, I don't see anything posted where she has voilated any rules of Ebay.

I'm off to the gallery too.... I think I've stated my opinions enough. And NOOOOOO, I'm still not angry or upset so please don't "assume" that I am!

Have a great day!!
~C
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:53 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree that 2 wrongs do not make a right, I am not a demo but if I were I would be quite upset if sets were listed before they actually became available to customers. I also believe if this whole issue is about honoring SU policies then we should also respect the business policy of e-bay....they are an auction site, meant to " sell " items. I do not think it is fair to the unknowing ( I hope they are unknowing ) bidders to have their bids retracted if they are there in good faith to purchase an item and nothing is actually for sale. I have had demos ask me if my DH would list sets for them to sell on e-bay and I have declined, I would not feel right about it and have lost respect for demos for asking as I believe they should respect the contract they have with SU. Anyway I have rambled enough and Christmas is almost here sooooooooo I want all my thoughts to be about the upcoming fa la la, Happy Holidays everyone and onto the gallery for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:02 AM   #109  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

What I think is odd, is that the seller who posted the "Not for sale" set, has a very large description clearly stating that the set is not for sale, that she is posting some info for consumer awareness. She also does not include a photo, as all the other auctions for same do.

Yet, someone has placed a bid?

I don't understand why someone would bid on it, after reading the description as it's pretty clear it's not for sale and the reason why. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:03 AM   #110  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Those few of you who think that these people that are selling are within their rights.......here is some food for thought...............

When you see that a person has "get it before anyone else can" That’s a sign that she is a demo.
When you see that a person has a product that is not yet available or isn't available to the general public, that IS a demo.

When you see incentive stamps and inspiration sheet, that is a demo!

If you are approving of their behavior and supporting their activity you are undermining some very hard working honest people. These people will never give you the customer service that SU intends you to have.
Have I always felt this way??? NO. I bought 3 sets off eBay once; they were current..............and an incredible deal. I paid 15.95 each for on the beach, bug builders, and another set that I can’t remember. This lady was selling 15 of these sets at a time. I was very new to SU and NOT a demo at that time. .................This lady got so IN over her head that she ended up having to send me extra sets AND refund my money. She was trying to Scam SU and got behind............so I complained to her and emailed her. She said that her friend was a Demo and they were working as a team to make money off eBay and just couldn’t keep up with all the demand. Needless to say..........she got herself yanked off eBay entirely.

On another note.........I have a good friend who is also a customer. She bought some of her inks sets off eBay................I was so sad about this. One day she calls ME and asks me to call SU for her because these inks were not up to the normal SU quality. So the other Demo received the benefit of her sale and I was the one who took care of her customer service. There was not much that I could do because there was NO order # to work with......But she was more unhappy with me that the person who sold her the inks! I love my friend, so I would go to bat for her any day. It was just a little disappointing.

I see the now see the impact that these sellers have on All of SU. Hey…..if SU wanted too…they could just sell their stuff online and not have ANY demo’s. They would probably make more money too. That’s not what they are about though……………they want to provide customer service and maintain their business by people who will care for their customers.

As far as I am concerned..........many of these people are setting themselves up to be sued by SU........Esp. because they are using their copyrighted images to sell the products in many cases.

I have to add.........................I am glad we all are being civil and can agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:04 AM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tc82742

Did you also notice that if you click on one of her SAB sets, she used SU's copyrighted set images from the website? With the copyright notice showing!!

Now, I don't think that is available to customers yet so I am guessing they got copied from the demo section.
youre right.. they werent scanned copies of the sets.. didnt notice that before.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #112  
Matboard Maniac

Good morning everyone!

First let me say that I am a SU! demo and I am blessed to have a very thriving business, all done the "traditional" way - home workshops, stamp camps, stamp clubs....

I also want to say that I do not agree with any demo selling their current products on EBAY. I have read the Internet Auction Policy many times, and I understand perfctly well that "current" means anything in the current 2004-2005 catalog as well as anything that was in a mini catalog dated July 04 - June 05. We cannot sell our items on EBAY until SU! declares them as retired. How can someone think that the stamp set we all received in the mail as a thank you was retired? It was clearly stated on our gift card enclosure that this was a 2005-2006 catalog set.

That said, I too would like to give EBAY sellers the benefit of the doubt and "assume" that 1) they are SU! demos who are somehow unaware of the Interent Auction Policy, and if gently made aware, they would immediately pull their auctions that violate the policy, 2) they are really lucky friends of a demo who are gifted with these items and thinnk "hey, I don't really like this set, why don't I sell it on EBAY and make a few bucks?" Again, maybe if these people were made aware of the policy, they too might pull their auctions. But, if scenario 3 happens and this is a SU! demo or a person working in collusion with a a demo, sending them haraasing emails WILL NOT stop them..

I would encourage all of you who do have the time or inclination to monitor EBAY to always assume scenario 1 or 2 first. Sending a polite email to the seller letting them know of the policy may be all it takes. But if your polite email is responded to by sarcasm or anger, then you know you are dealing with a dodgy SU! demo or friend and please send their auction onto demo support.

I have one other thing to say about this whole EBAY thing, when we post topics abou this, can it please be kept in the Demo Only forum? We do not need our customers, or any one else's reading all of this.

OK, I do have one other thing to say .... For fun, I did a search on EBAY for other home-based businesses. Currently, there are 1582 items listed under the Stampin' Up! description, but....

3009 for Creative Memories
7734 for Longaberger
188 for Southern Living at Home
2958 for Home Interiors

So, obviously, this is not an issue unique to SU! and we are actually on the low side compared to many other home-based companies. That may not comfort many of you - but it tells me that we are not alone.

There, that was my $.02 for the day - I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, filled with family and friends and happy memories!!!

~Terri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #113  
Kookie Creator

Well said Lisa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa
But she was more unhappy with me that the person who sold her the inks! I love my friend, so I would go to bat for her any day. It was just a little disappointing.
Did you ever tell your friend how hurt and disappointed you were? Did she understand why?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #115  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

When you see that a person has "get it before anyone else can" That’s a sign that she is a demo.
When you see that a person has a product that is not yet available or isn't available to the general public, that IS a demo.

When you see incentive stamps and inspiration sheet, that is a demo!

I have to add.........................I am glad we all are being civil and can agree to disagree.
No, it doesn't mean she is a demo. I know you all don't want to think that these sets could be given away by a demo (and I'm not saying all of these sets were) but they could be. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

And if I decide to sell on Ebay my stamp sets one day and include a couple of what I feel to be ugly incentive stamps and the beaten up inspiration sheet that I have next to me that means that I'm a demo?

I think most of you have missed some of my appoints. You should NEVER ASSUME and ACCUSE someone of something unless you can prove it for a fact. You can sit there and say that XYZ is only available to demo's which is correct but once they are in their hands, and they follow their contracts, they can do as they please with them. Is it likely that all these sets were given? NO! But ya know what, it is very poor judgement to "call them out" if you don't know for sure.

I'm certainly not approving the behavior of a demo who is selling on Ebay but on the other hand I am certainly not going to approve the behavior of people on this board who will point fingers and make guesses and assumptions without being able to prove it 100%. I do find it very odd that many of you are very open about pointing fingers at these listings, claiming you know for "fact" that they are demo's, when one of your own had broken the Ebay policies for her listing and thats OK with you. How one way can you be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #116  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

On another note.........I have a good friend who is also a customer. She bought some of her inks sets off eBay................I was so sad about this. One day she calls ME and asks me to call SU for her because these inks were not up to the normal SU quality. So the other Demo received the benefit of her sale and I was the one who took care of her customer service. There was not much that I could do because there was NO order # to work with......But she was more unhappy with me that the person who sold her the inks! I love my friend, so I would go to bat for her any day. It was just a little disappointing.
This is another story because instead of purchasing from Ebay she could have purchased from another consultant who she is no longer in touch with or is no longer a consultant and would you have helped her? I'd think you would so I wouldn't be so bent out of shape that it was an Ebay purchase.

Whats SU policies on "defective" merchandise? Do you need an order number or is it enough that it has their name on it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #117  
Pearl-ExPert

I actually think this topic benefits both customers and demos alike. If the moderators thought it should be in the demo only forum, I have every faith that it would have been moved asap. I always think that having the most current and up to date info just helps everyone to make their best decisions. On another thread, someone stated that they did purchase this set (Sincere Salutations) on ebay because, not being a demo, she thought that it was her only opportunity for this set. Now - I'm sure she is happy with her purchase, but she might be wondering to herself if she would have gone ahead with it at this time, knowing the set would be offered in March at a 50% savings from it's retail list price (which at this time we don't know the retail price). I also think it's okay for customers to see how this affects us as demos as we try to meet our minimums for sales each quarter. I've seen many who posted that until it was brought to their attention, they had no idea the impact ebay auctions had on their demo'rs business.

With regards to "policing" ebay, and reporting or not reporting, I myself as a demo have little time to spare for this occupation. I do follow some "gut guidelines" and I mostly live and let live. I personally look at a couple things if I'm wondering if I should report a person. 1. Their ebay id history. To me, a person with a long id history speaks to possibly having had their auctions previously ended by SU! or ebay. 2. I look at all their items for sale. If EVERY SINGLE thing they are selling is NIP (new in package), unmounted, or an item available only to demos (like Inspirations sheets, SAB sets, pre-order mini sets, incentive sets, or even a couple techniques booklets , I am IMMEDIATELY suspicious. 3. If a seller has an ebay STORE full of these items, well, I don't wanna even SAY what I think of THAT! :shock:

Reporting suspicious auctions actually takes mere seconds from my end. Just a quick note in my "share this auction with a friend" email and I let the SU! compliance dept do the real detective work.

And YES - this auction problem is not unique to SU! But the numbers change daily. I've seen hundreds of pages of SU! auctions at any given time. Just like Longaberger, CM, CTMH, or whatever it may be. It makes me wonder if we are nearing the end of the home based party sale opportunity? I hope not...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #118  
One TOT Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinfredva2004
Great idea!! I wish whoever posted it would have put a counter on it so we could see how many have looked at it!! I hope alot of people look at it!!
There was a counter on in last night, but later in the night it went away. When I saw it, around 10:00 or so last night there were over 1800 hits!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #119  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, you need the order number to exchange an item.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #120  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

It makes me wonder if we are nearing the end of the home based party sale opportunity?
Yes, Ang. This concerns me, as well . . . and saddens me . . . Someone once told me they believed that in the future, we'd become a society that does everything via internet, with very little human contact . . . no reason to leave the house if you can buy everything online . . .

This may indeed be an indication of what's to come . . .

I had thought, in the past, of quitting my demonstratorship and starting an online store (not via Ebay, but having my own independent site, etc.) . . .

but, realized one of the key reasons I enjoy being a demonstrator so much is the people I meet and become friends with . . . that I can actually meet with over a table covered with stamping supplies, laughing, visiting, creating together . . .

It is an "in-person" relationship that cannot be duplicated, really, in any other way than "in-person"!

Just imagining that disappearing/becoming obsolete very much saddens me . . .
Reply With Quote Likes