Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2005, 04:43 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is entirely possible that you two came up with similar cards. The time I had something on Stampers Showcase, I had submitted that particular card in April and it appeared on the showcase in October! During those months, it was probably completely feasible that someone came up with a similar idea--who knows maybe even submitted it but that doesn't mean they copied my idea. Remember, great minds think alike!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 04:45 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by skpupy68
CASE means Copy And Steal Everything.

The very name says it all! I too am guilty of CASE'ing. I try to give credit where credit is due, especially if it's a really neat card. Have you ever heard the saying "There are no original ideas"?

Mo
I've heard CASE means Copy And Share Everything.

Either way, consider it a compliment and remember why we stamp. It makes us happy!
Stamping Happy! Member #4604
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 04:51 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like that better. I'm going to change my definition to Share instead of Steal. Definitely nicer!

Thanks!!
Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my! Please feel free to CASE anything of mine and you don't even need to note it!

The way I look at it is this....when I see a card that has been put in the stampers showcase or SS, I almost never look at the name. What does it matter to me? I will never get to know the people and it certainly does not matter to our customers. Who the heck is JulieHRR anyway?? :lol:

Yes, when I see an awesome creation here, I do let the person know how great it is, and that I hope is flattering...I know I am flattered when people respond to my cards, but with all the millions of stampers out there, the trends that are hot in paper crafting (tags, DTP, etc) things are bound to look similar...and who really cares?

Now IF by chance I see a card design that has won a contest and the winner CASE'd some of my work, sure I may be disappointed I didn't win the contest, but if I didn't submit - its my loss!

Just to let you all know---I'm a CASE'r and not embarassed at all by that!

Crystal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my! Please feel free to CASE anything of mine and you don't even need to note it!

The way I look at it is this....when I see a card that has been put in the stampers showcase or SS, I almost never look at the name. What does it matter to me? I will never get to know the people and it certainly does not matter to our customers. Who the heck is JulieHRR anyway?? :lol:

Yes, when I see an awesome creation here, I do let the person know how great it is, and that I hope is flattering...I know I am flattered when people respond to my cards, but with all the millions of stampers out there, the trends that are hot in paper crafting (tags, DTP, etc) things are bound to look similar...and who really cares?

Now IF by chance I see a card design that has won a contest and someone CASE'd some of my work, sure I may be disappointed I didn't win the contest, but if I didn't submit - its my loss!

Just to let you all know---I'm a CASE'r and not embarassed at all by that!

Crystal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

sorry for the duplicated post! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #47  
Gabfest Goddess

I try to come up with my own ideas, but let's face it...if you see a WOW card, you WANT to copy it! Even if you aren't copying exactly (use different stamps, colors, etc) - you are still CASEing it!

CASEing is the highest form of flattery - I am so thankful that all these wonderful ladies share their talent with us. I haven't posted anything yet (waiting to get new computer set up...then I'll open a gallery).

How about CASEing store-bought cards - check out Hallmark and get ideas for layouts. You are still creating that card, but the idea for the general layout was someone else's.

I'm all for CASEing - why do you think the SU! IDEA BOOK and catalog exists? CASE away I say!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...why would anyone copy a card exactly, then post it to the same site where the original was posted?!
I never CASE, but I often see a card where some little detail will inspire me to do something entirely different.
I once came across a card very similar to a card I thought was my original design, and I felt bad about posting it, so now I look through the gallery for the set I'm using to make sure it hasn't been done before.
I have to say that I do think that there are original ideas. If a set or part of a set is used in a totally different way from the way it was intended to be used, that is an original idea, and the designer should definitely be credited when you use the same idea. I'd say layouts are probably a different story. It's hard to come up with a totally new and different way to arrange images on a card.
How long does it take to give someone credit? It's just the courteous thing to do, and it lifts the spirits of the originator. That's got to be "a good thing"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:31 AM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Me again,
I think my last post may have sounded a little harsh...
I encourage casing! I posted here from the beginning knowing it would be done, I thought that was the purpose of this website. I have posted lots of original ideas on how to mount vellum and posted how-to hoping someone would find them inspirational...
I just wouldn't want someone copying something exactly and saying they did it!
I don't think that's unreasonable??
Anyway this is actually another plug!
Go here please:
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/MoreStamps!
Click on images and post comments! I love it! It makes me happy!
If everyone lived here I'd have a big stampin party and show everyone how to do any of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:49 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreStamps!
I've been cased several times already. I like being "cased" it strokes my artistic ego...
It made me post like crazy!

Guess what? You are getting CASED again! I need a Sympathy card and I'm tired of my standard, and yours is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 05:58 AM   #51  
The Digi-Freak

If someone case'd me I'd be thrilled

I'm not a picky girl.... life is wayyyy too short to get upset over being cased!

Kimberly

P.S. I know I posted a thread recently about being surprised to find my cards on someone else's gallery.... but that was more shock that my daughter's picture popped up when I went to her page! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm starting to be afraid to upload anything too! It is perfectly logical to believe that out of 20,000 plus members here, that 2 people could come up with very similiar ideas. And hard as it is for me to believe, some stampers may not even know about SCS. I have done cards then come here to the gallery and saw almost identical cards to mine. I never posted mine, so I know she didn't case me. It's entirely possible that the card in question was made before the other one and SU didn't put it up for a long time.

I guess what I'm saying is just because 2 cards are similiar, doesn't mean that one is a case of the other. If someone knowingly case's, yes it would be nice for a mention, but others have stated, that is not always in our control.

Lets give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:53 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
If someone case'd me I'd be thrilled

I'm not a picky girl.... life is wayyyy too short to get upset over being cased!

Kimberly

P.S. I know I posted a thread recently about being surprised to find my cards on someone else's gallery.... but that was more shock that my daughter's picture popped up when I went to her page! ;)
whew!!! cause i case you ALL the time!! :lol:

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #54  
Glitter Guru

I love to CASE - in fact I had someone ask me if I would do a wedding card - you know what I did I came her found a few that I thought were beautiful and printed them off to show her and I ended up CASEing a card made by lholgate that she had put in the DDD gallery (another plus to belong to the DDD) - absolutely breathtaking and my friend was estatic...

Plus the added bonus - people here at SCS rock - I needed a stamped image for the card and asked - do you know I had 6-7 offers - you gals rock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:29 AM   #55  
Crimping Master

Default I agree with morestamps!

I agree with morestamps! Go ahead and case away any card I put up there, change It a little, change it a lot, call it yours. It will not offend me, that's what I put them up there for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

As a demo, I too CASE stuff all the time. Just in CASE I have a block and need a quick & easy demo for a workshop, I CASE it and give myself a break. Because I like to use lots of embellishments and make my cards WOWzie, I sometimes forget how to make things simple and easy for the newbies at my workshops. I don't tell them that I CASE'd it, unless they ask where I get my ideas, in which CASE, I tell them that there are many great websites with ideas, in addition to my own SU website, mini catalogs, our own IB&C that you can CASE from too! A new stamper that has labelled themselves as "not creative" would LOVE to know that you can CASE, just in CASE they cannot think of anything themselves. CASE-ing is easy, free and the highest degree of flattery.

CASE away with abandon and without shame!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #57  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have learned that:

being CASE'd means someone really loves your creation very muchly! This is flattering.:smile:

stamping etiquette indicates it is appreciated greatly to credit the original creator, when CASEing something exactly, IF known. This is just common courtesy, not a "law" or a "rule".

it is HIGHLY possible for 2 individuals to come up with a nearly identical card--right down to the images used, color scheme, AND layout! (happened to me when I nearly had a heart attack at seeing a card I'd designed and never shared with anyone else, but sent in for consideration to SU!, IN THE CATALOG!, back when SU! actually featured demo'r artwork). After examining it very closely, I realized the artist used a different ribbon than I did. Other than that, they were IDENTICAL in every way. But, I'd never shown the card to anyone, and I'd never seen the other artist's creation ever.

if I design anything for which I'm hoping to be featured in the showcase for, I DO NOT POST IT anywhere online, until AFTER submitting it to SU!.

if I design anything for which I'd like to be sure I am fully credited with designing, i.e. for publication purposes, I don't post it anywhere--I do that to protect myself as an artist

---------------------------------

I upload those designs I feel comfortable and flattered to have others CASE. I also CASE, but, I typically avoid posting anything that is a deliberate and identical CASE--what would be the point of seeing the exact or nearly exact same project???? I did it once or twice a long time ago, and then realized it was counter-productive, IMHO.

I DO upload projects "inspired by" a fellow stamper's project, and try to give credit if I can recall who inspired it, like Norway Troll's Paisley Monogram Stationary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

It has been interesting reading this thread.

I am a hobby demo. I tell people all of the time that they don't have to be a "crafty" person or creative in order to stamp or scrapbook. I tell them that there are tons and tons of ideas out there. After all that is why we have the IB&C and all of the mini catalogs. Like others have said, if you don't want something CASED just don't share it. If you put it on any site, you should be flattered that someone thought that your idea was worthy of them using it. I don't post my cards on this site right now due to scanner problems (I think we just need a new one), but I will when I can. As a stamper I love to "try" to come up with new ideas, but I also love to CASE people's ideas. The gallery is my favorite part of this site. There are so many talented stampers out there. Sometimes my jaw just hits the ground. :shock: My mom and mother-in-law buy cards from me all of the time. I try to just give them to them, but they insist on paying me for them. They usually slip me a $5 for every card. I think that it is because they want to support me and my hobby, but they aren't interested in doing it themselves. Anyway, with that said, I must admit that they have purchased cards that I CASED from SCS. I can't remember all of the cards or the artists, but I will say thanks to all of you who post on SCS. This is about the only place that I go on the web anymore.

I love SCS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
being CASE'd means someone really loves your creation very muchly! This is flattering.:smile:

I upload those designs I feel comfortable and flattered to have others CASE.
Whewsh! It's a good thing sister... I do love your work very "muchly"!

Thanks for sharing! Although, I am VERY upset to know that there ARE things that you are NOT SHOWING US!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

Let's put this into just a little perspective...the pyramids, the bessemer process, the wheel....all "invented"or created by very different people who had never even met or heard of each, thousnads of miles apart...so is it possible that 2 people created very similar cards, as a matter of fact, it is very likley :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel flattered when anyone likes my cards enough to try to copy them, and although I have not uploaded cards because i don't have a scanner or digital camera, I say knock yourself out if you want to case me

some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Let's put this into just a little perspective...the pyramids, the bessemer process, the wheel....all "invented"or created by very different people who had never even met or heard of each, thousnads of miles apart...so is it possible that 2 people created very similar cards, as a matter of fact, it is very likley :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel flattered when anyone likes my cards enough to try to copy them, and although I have not uploaded cards because i don't have a scanner or digital camera, I say knock yourself out if you want to case me

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

wow! double post-sorry!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

I'm really sorry to see that this has become a regular issue on this board. I know that people who work hard on artwork feel a certain proprietary possession over them.

However, casing is how artists learn. First they copy poorly, then they copy well, then they branch out and try something on their own and soon they are the ones everyone is CASING. It is a natural progession. Anyone who has taken a class in art knows this.

I believe this: If somone cases me and submits it for publication and gets published, then I should feel sorry that I didn't go out on a limb and try to publish it when I made it! I would consider it a reminder that I too could get published, if I would take the time to submit.

No one is going to make a stamping artist's career out of casing. It takes really strong skills and devotion and hard work to get published over and over again. To truly make a living selling your art, you must be a really good artist.

I'd like to second JulieHHR in the point that if you worry about getting CASED on a certain really special piece of art, hold back on posting it until you have already submitted it for publication. But don't stop sharing those fun cards that you make out of the joy of stamping and trying something new.

I really hope this is the end of the casing debate. I hate to see people hurt over this. We need to support our new demos and customers who feel nervous about their artistic skills and want to copy someone so that they can feel proud of their work.

After all, is this an ivory tower art that is limited to the few elite who have mastered it? Or is this a fun craft that many of us are trying to make money at selling the products to do and in the mean time sharing with others the joy of feeling that they too can create something beautiful?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

My thoughts are that anyone that puts anything on the internet is subject to having it copied, forwarded, bent, shaped, and mutilated, and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. In fact, why else would you even put it out there??! ;) It seems a bit unrealistic to post an idea just to look and not expect someone to use it, change it, and make the new creation "their own".

I do think there's a "middle ground" here though. I think that we should feel free to CASE ideas for business (demo'ing, etc.) or personal use, but when it comes to submitting ideas for any type of national or large-scale publication or for any type of recognition or reward, we should only submit ideas that are our own, original art work, not an idea that was someone else's and I just added some small touches or changed ever-so-slightly, as was this case.

In other words, my rule of thumb is that I have no qualms about CASE'ing projects for my own use, for demo/workshop purposes, or even for swaps, but I always note that the idea was CASE'd (and if this is for a swap, I give the person credit, if I know the person's name). I would never submit a CASE'd idea for publication or contest of any kind, where there'd be any type of "reward" or recognition. (Doesn't SU give away stamp sets if your ideas are used??) And though there's no "reward" for posting here, I would never post an exact duplicate or even a close replica of someone else's work. Not only would I feel uncomfortable doing it, it's also REDUNDANT! Many times I see something I like and embellish it to jazz it up even more...but even though I've done that, I still consider it a CASE'd idea, and if I were to post it somewhere like here (still, again, I would never submit this idea for publication or a reward of any kind) I would note that the idea was CASE'd and embellished. Same thing if I copied/tweaked a swap I received...I'd never submit it as my own.

MAKE SENSE???!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkaren
At every one of my workshops I proudly tell my customers that I CASE almost everything. I want them to realize that they don't HAVE to come up with original ideas to be great stampers, or hopefully, great recruits! And I always try to share all my ideas and techniques. What's the fun of making something beautiful if you can't share it with your customers? And get them excited as well?
Amen to that! The reason I took so long to sign up to become a demonstrator (1 1/2 years) was because I was worried that I wouldn't have enough ideas to make it work. Thanks to everyone here who has shared their ideas. That's what I come here for! If you don't want your ideas copied -- don't post them.

As a 95% CASE'r and 5% creator, however, I would not copy an idea and then submit it for publication, contest, whatever. I will, however, use ideas I find here for set samplers, stamp camps, workshops & cards to friends & family. I don't feel like I need to give the "original" artist credit by signing her name on the back of a birthday card I'm sending to my mom. As a matter of fact, I set out the "Hand Stamped" Angel Policy stamps at my workshops & camps and encourage my guests to use them and to sign their name on the back of the card, even if they use the "orignal design by" stamp! I tell them that if they took the time to make a card to send to someone, that someone should know it. I don't need credit for it because most of the time, it isn't my original idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #66  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Amen.

Amen.

If you put it here, it's to share. This is not a museum.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #67  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

LizzieStamps,

You said, "I tell them that if they took the time to make a card to send to someone, that someone should know it."

That is beautiful!! That's it, exactly, you took the time to put the card together, it's yours.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 PM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

" I don't feel like I need to give the "original" artist credit by signing her name on the back of a birthday card I'm sending to my mom."

Ohmygosh I agree. In my post I meant that I TELL my stampers that I didn't design a card/project myself, that I CASE'd it. I don't put the original designer's name on there anywhere, I only want my stampers to know that it isn't my original creation! But in a swap situation if a "recipe" is included, I'd put, "Original idea was CASE'd from ________". Actually, I've only had to do this once! ;)

This is such great, great feedback from everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes