Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2023, 06:17 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Default "cardboard" stencils

I bought some stencils at Hobby Lobby on clearance for less than $2.00. Then I see that they are made from what looks like thin cardboard or kraft paper. Faber-Castell mixed media /stencils. 13 different designs, mandalas. Only care instructions: Carefully wipe paper stencils after use or coat with Glaze Medium(?) to extend life.
Has anyone worked with these? What is glaze medium and is it permanent? TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2023, 08:56 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glazing medium is similar to matte medium, if you have ever used that in crafting/cardmaking. It usually also comes in gloss. It is acrylic based and should hold up pretty well with certain wet media. If you have a gel plate or something like that, you can roll out the medium on it and press the stencil into it rather than trying to brush it on. Maybe do a couple of coats?

If not too intricate a stencil, you could cover both sides with clear contact paper and cut out the contact paper from the stencil openings with a craft knife.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Janet1000 (02-03-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:40 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I would probably opt for a spray like Krylon, myself. Easier to get even coverage and may hold up better to wet media. Two or three thinner coats would be better than one thick one.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by gregzgurl:
Janet1000 (02-03-2023), TLady (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 04:25 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,123 Likes on 505 Posts

Great tip to use the gel plate - I got a nice pack of 12x12 stencils like this at a thrift store that I need to seal somehow - they're like a posterboard weight.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 04:39 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the same set a few years ago. I've only used them for the Gelli plate. The paint seals them, and I can still use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Janet1000 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 02:41 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I like the spray idea.

I don't own one but I had a crazy idea...if a person laminated them and then put them in a scan and cut-could that cut out the negative areas? I don't know what those machines can do.

I have been thinking about making my own paper stencils with dies...but first gluing thin acetate to them...I have not tried it yet...I also don't know if I feel like I want to be bothered bc I could always make another one.

I see the challenge...inks will mess them up, but if you go with a more wet product like pastes...that could really screw em up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 661 Likes on 409 Posts

If you want to make your own stencils either with dies or cut by hand, and you want to reuse them, I recommend Tyvek. I saved some big Tyvek envelopes decades ago and I'm still using them. Bonus: you can rinse them in soapy water if you want to get the paint off.

As to the paper stencils, any medium brushed on should work to seal them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 11:23 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I like the spray idea.

I don't own one but I had a crazy idea...if a person laminated them and then put them in a scan and cut-could that cut out the negative areas? I don't know what those machines can do.

I have been thinking about making my own paper stencils with dies...but first gluing thin acetate to them...I have not tried it yet...I also don't know if I feel like I want to be bothered bc I could always make another one.

I see the challenge...inks will mess them up, but if you go with a more wet product like pastes...that could really screw em up.
Why add the paper? My DIY Bokeh stencils are just acetate (still going strong an in regular use 7 years on) and I've successfully used thin Mylar too. But for a single use one-off, paper can be fine for sponging ink.

It wouldn't be the cheapest option but would something like the Judikins (now Tim Holtz, I believe) Microglaze work on the paper ones? I know in another job in the dim and distant past, we used to sell oiled manilla card (https://www.pegasusart.co.uk/stencil...-card-22x24.ir), and it would stand up to quite a bit of use with inks/paints. Maybe not so much with paste, because you can't wash it, just wipe after use. I'm thinking the Microglaze weekend have a similar effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an art spray sealant to get the paper to be water resistant. Then I paint on a sealant 3 or 4 times if it is just a stencil. You would need something that is smooth enough to run a palette knife or credit card over, so it doesn't have to be mirror smooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
harvestmoon (02-07-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 975 Likes on 474 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I

good idea!
Saw the other comment just to use the acetate. Good idea, also! I'm wondering if the paper might make it easier to see the design...?

Reply With Quote Likes