Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Card sizes a conflict?

What size cards are most of the cards in these galleries? I seem to make almost all 4 1/4 X 5 1/2 but some of these look much larger. Do any of you feel kind of 'obligated' to make something like a 5 X 7 for a more special occasions? I know it's MY problem, but sometimes I just have these thoughts that I should make the card bigger. Anyone feel that way?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJillView Post
What size cards are most of the cards in these galleries? I seem to make almost all 4 1/4 X 5 1/2 but some of these look much larger. Do any of you feel kind of 'obligated' to make something like a 5 X 7 for a more special occasions? I know it's MY problem, but sometimes I just have these thoughts that I should make the card bigger. Anyone feel that way?

Yes, sometimes I do too. When I was a little girl, my Mom told me that she always bought bigger cards for special people like my Dad, my sister and me. LOL!

So, then, I felt obligated to make her a bigger card than everyone elses in case she thought that the size of the card equaled the size of the love behind it.

But now she loves hand-stamped cards and raves about all of them no matter what size so I think it's just me hanging on to those words all those years ago.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Yes, sometimes I do too. When I was a little girl, my Mom told me that she always bought bigger cards for special people like my Dad, my sister and me. LOL!

So, then, I felt obligated to make her a bigger card than everyone elses in case she thought that the size of the card equaled the size of the love behind it.

But now she loves hand-stamped cards and raves about all of them no matter what size so I think it's just me hanging on to those words all those years ago.
What a great story, Gina!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Gina, I guess that's where my logic comes from also. My mom is in very poor health with not much memory left but she tells me constantly that 'this person' or 'that person' sent her a HUGE beautiful card. I don't know why it bothers me because I know she really loved my cards up until her last stroke. Maybe I'll be able to get over it and know that all the love I put into the card, no matter what the size, is really all that counts. So, are most of yours the 4 1/4 X 5 1/2 or larger? For the people you REALLY love? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only time I like to make larger cards are for group things - leaving more room for multiple folks to sign inside.

I did do a larger card today for the weekend sketch and the limited supply challenges - It was a challenge! :-D The 4.25 x 5.5 just comes together much easier.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am stuck in the A2 rut, because I can use less expensive envelopes and 8.5"x11" card stock with little measuring! I think I have one 5x7 card in my gallery, I have a pack of prefolded card stock of which I've made ONE. I was going to send it to my Grandama, but she died before I mailed it. At 102 years, I would like to think she would have enjoyed it a few weeks or months earlier. But in the end, it was the faces and hands of her daughters that meant the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 04:17 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,095 Likes on 839 Posts

LOL at Lori doing a bigger card for the LSC, because that was one of my approaches to it that I didn't carry through. A2 is my favourite, though for squares I like the 5 1/2" size. But even a 5x7, never mind the big ones that are a letter size folded in half, I just find them so hard.
I used to think that more of the cards in the gallery were bigger, but I think I was used to big Penny Black and Hero Arts stamps that need more space in order not to be crowded.
I like Gina's story, too. Took me a long time to get DH to realise that the worth of a present wasn't in what it cost, but in the care choosing it.
But I'd have to admit that when I am making a card for an order (as opposed to selling cards I have already made) I do feel I should make it a bit bigger. For me that ties in both to thinking that other people equate bigger cards with *better* and would think A2 was a bit mingy and mean looking, and finding it easier to ask for money for a bigger one.
Interesting question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

What a sweet thread! I've never thought about the size of the card equalling more love. My reason for making the bigger cards isn't that deep. LOL
I scrapbook more than I make cards, so it's way more comfortable for me to make the bigger cards - usually 6x6. I don't worry about finding envelopes for them too much, because they're usually too lumpy and bumpy to fit anyway! I send them in manila envelopes with notes or little doo-dads most of the time.

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Default size matters??

I always make 5x7 for people who are elderly like my Momm who has vision problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hardly ever make A2 sized cards. 6 x 6 square is my favorite size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make larger cards for passing around at work, so that there's room for all the signatures! That way people can write as much as they want and don't have to worry about writing in tiny lettering.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

My favorite size is 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 square. I like to make scenes on my cards and that size is the perfect fit

My Blog: http://christinestampingspot.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I like to make bigger cards for family often- and sometimes for scenes. I get kind of tired of the standard A2 size card and just have to mix it up on occassion (especially to fit a bigger stamped image too). I like to buy bigger/odd size envelopes anywhere I can find them on clearance so I always have something bigger on hand to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Default bigger = better?

For some stamps, like the hostess "from the garden", bigger seems appropriate. I actually am considering making smaller than A2 for some things, like thank you cards. I went to the dollar store and they had packs of ten cards for a buck. I made small thank yous and used the envelopes. I saved the cards to use for mailing labels or punches.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to make bigger cards because that's what I was always used to receiving (bought at a store). Most of the time, though, it's because I need a bigger card to get more 'stuff' on it, or because my stamp is larger. I know it costs more, but I don't need that many cards for my small family so I don't mind the extra cost for them. I'm also making some for soldiers and charity causes, but those will all be the A2 size for the cost issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I make all different sized cards for all different occasions.

(and, yes, I agree with GinaK's mom's theory that the size of the card is relative to the person's place in your life!)

A2 size is my standard size for challenges, or my 'I just feel like making something' card size.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Talking

I make cards to fit the envelopes that I have. While most of my envies are A2, I have a number of 5.5" square and then various sizes.

I used to work at a store that sold cards (about 14 years ago), at the end of the season, the vendor comes in and collects the cards that didn't sell--they leave behind the envelopes. Consequently, the store would bundle the envelopes and sell them for a bargain price. Being a pack rat--I still have these envies.

I love to make cards as package toppers--no envie--then I feel I can make ANY size I want!! BWA-ha-ha-ha!!!! :twisted:

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes