Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Card sets: All the same? Or different?

My favorite Aunt just told me that she looks forward to recieving the cards I make for her and I was just tickled pink! She said that she would love if I would make her a set of cards that she could give to her friends

I saw, in the resources section, a paper envelope type thing to keep cards and envelopes in and I think I am going to do something like that. My question is, should I make 10 of the same card or should I do 10 different cards? I am almost thinking of making 10 similar cards and then putting sentiments onto separate die cuts and just put a dimentional on them or something and she can pick the sentiment for the card and pop it on. So much to think about...I have never done this before. I always just make a card for a specific occasion and person, and then send it out.

Other questions that come to mind...do I put my "handmade by" stamp on the back? How many cards normally go in a set of cards? Matching envelopes or standard white? With all of the talented people on this board, I am sure this is something you all have done for people 100 times. Any tips before I get to cuttin' and stampin'???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I make a set of cards I do 8 or 10 in the set. I use the same layout but change the colors for each card. I just made a set with SU's Herb Expressions set. There are 8 stamps in the set, four images and four sentiments. I made two of each image+sentiment.

I would put a handmade by stamp on the back. I have a hard time remembering to do that :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend, who like your aunt, really likes the cards I've sent her and asked me to make her some.

Since most of her friends know each other because they play bridge together, volunteer at the hospital together, etc. I decided to make the cards different, 2 of each kind in a set of 10. I didn't want someone to receive a card and show it off to the friends, to find that someone got the exact same card, lol.

I made a mix of Happy Birthday and Thinking of You cards. She can use the thinking of you for birthday, by just writing a little note inside. I always stamp all my cards on the back and sign them, also.

I make the standard A2 size cards and have the plain white invitation size envelopes to fit them. But I usually do line the envelopes with matching pattern paper. For some reason, this really impresses folks if the envelope is lined, and it's not hard to do at all.

I'm sure your aunt will love whatever you make for her. My friend recently told me she had used all hers up already, so I need to get busy and make some more. She has some vision problems and is not able to drive anymore, so having cards at hand to send is really helpful for her.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

This is an excellent topic. I have been thinking about making card sets to give as Christmas presents this year. And, our local school has a craft fair every fall and I plan have a table for my cards. I was thinking about making card sets for that as well with assorted cards. I too am anxious to hear what everyone else does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

The first year that I made sets to sell at crafts shows, I made all the cards in the set the same but put a different greeting on each one. I did sets of four so one bday, one get well, one thinking of you and one thank you. They didn't sell well and the comment most people made was they would like them better if they were all different. So this past year I made them different yet similar so that look nice in the folder I made.

For example, I used SU spring vintage DSP on a set but used a different DSP on each one and different color bases on each. That went over much better. I like the idea above to stamp the greeting and let the receiver pick the greeting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make all mine different but that's because I get bored making the same thing more than twice. It's why I struggle with swaps unless the hostess is okay with different ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

If you post on a blog or in a gallery it makes sense to make them all different but sometimes I like making 2-3 of the ones I think will be popular or I try different versions and only post my favorite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I usually do 6-8 cards. I use the same layout and focal point but vary the colors and sentiment. Ex: 2 green birthdays, 2 blue thank yous, 2 pink thinking of yous
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've made several of these box for gifts. I've had all the cards match the box in some and in other made different. I think I made 8 to 10 cards depending on what would fit.

Splitcoaststampers - A2 Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny, as I am going through my stamps trying to plan some cards, I am seeing how different they all are! I have some "crafty" ones, some elegant ones, some silly ones...I think I am going to base my cards along those lines and make a few of each. I was also planning on sending some punched out sentiments but now that I am putting some together, I think I might just leave them plain and let her put whatever she wants on the inside. I have made 2 different sets of 4 and I will post them to my gallery here in a second. Let me know what you think? Thanks!!

Ok, I posted them although they look really small in there! I hope the embossing shows up because I really think that brought it all together nicely.

Last edited by CraftyMel2; 06-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Likes