Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Bacon...back again for round 2

Way back in November, I was complaining (or bitching some might say) about the Exchange rate that we as Cdns have to pay for our stamps. I have been emailing stampin up, and I think I am getting the runaround...what do you think?

TO STAMPIN UP

I'm a Cdn. and do all my purchases in Cdn. currency. A stamping up set can be purchased by an American for $19.95. As a Cdn. this same set is $31.95. They accept Cdn. dollars at .62 against the US dollar. The Cdn. dollar is currently trading at .84 cents compared to the US dollar. Therefore, on every order from Canada, SU is earning a 35.5% profit, in addition to their regular operating profit. If I was to base the calculations soley on the exchange rate, the profit margin is 22%, plus their operating profit. I find this to be excessive.

The catalogues are apparently done in advance, but that is not to say that prices can't be adjusted during the interim period. (Example, they have adjusted the S & H for now).

Understanding that currencies fluctuate, I would expect that they adjust quarterly. If the dollar went down to .50, well, we'd have to live with that too.

RESPONSE FROM STAMPIN UP

Thank you for your interest in Stampin' Up!® and for contacting us with your concerns regarding the pricing of our stamps versus the current exchange rate. Please be aware that the forecasted exchange rate is only one of several factors that are considered in determining pricing. There are tariffs, taxes and custom fees involved when product crosses the border (Revenue Canada must get its share). These fees also have to be considered in determining product prices.

TO STAMPIN UP

Thank you for your recent response. Could you please provide me with a breakdown of tariffs, taxes, duties and any other components that apply to the difference in pricing.

RESPONSE FROM STAMPIN UP

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry for more information. Unfortunately, we don't have a breakdown of all of the tariffs etc. They are all determined by the province that you live in. When Stampin' Up! decided to move into Canada, we wanted to ship directly over the border. We weren't allowed to do so and had to start another company in Canada. Doing so made us subject to all tariffs, taxes, etc as was mentioned in the previous e-mail as we are shipping internationally. If you would like the breakdown, you will need to contact your Tax Commissioner, Border Control, and or Customs.

TO STAMPIN UP:

Thank you again for your response. In this case, I would like to
continue
buying my product from you, however, pay in U.S. dollars. How would I
go
about arranging this?

RESPONSE FROM STAMPIN UP:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the purchasing our products in
Canada, Unfortunately, Stampin' Up! Canada is a completely different
company from Stampin' Up! USA. As previously stated, when Stampin' Up!
decided to move into Canada, we wanted to ship directly over the border.
We weren't allowed to do so and had to start another company in Canada.
Doing so made us subject to all tariffs, taxes, etc as was mentioned in
the previous e-mail as we are shipping internationally. This has made it
so we are unable to accept United States currency for an international
order.

In that case, if I am buying from a Canadian company, why do I have to pay tariffs? Clearly, goods are being shipped to the Cdn. entity. I'm gonna keep bugging them...

[/b]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

We don't have a breakdown of all of the tariffs etc. They are all determined by the province that you live in ... There are tariffs, taxes and custom fees involved when product crosses the border (Revenue Canada must get its share)

I could be way off here, but as for tariffs are determined by the province? and Revenue Canada getting their share.... wouldn't that be what our PST (where applicable) and GST cover? I know there's duty on product entering Canada... but 22%? I don't buy it. It seems to me that they've found some cake & their eating it too.

jmho

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #3  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Hmmm.... it sounds like they made another company but they don't make all the stuff there. So the stuff comes from here and goes there but not directly, it has to go through this company. They didn't set up factories and all up there, did they? Just the paperwork stuff?

That's what I'm thinking, but it's totally a theory.

And, I just don't think they would mark up JUST to be greedy. They aren't that type of company. They want to make a profit and stay in business, of course.

Not to imply you shouldn't question. I think questioning things helps keep people honest!!!

Let us know if you hear more, okay??

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes