Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
Very wise words.
*chinkle* Hi, Jenn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Julie!

I have to agree with you again on your point about the business side, because that's where my RELIABLE money comes from - the rest is frosting and varies greatly month-to-month.

I am redundant always agreeing with you?! ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #43  
Glitter Queen

How about demonstrators? Are you really able to support your habit? Are you able to sell enough to others to meet the minimum quota per quarter? Do you get enough from profit to buy fun stuff for yourself? Right now I am able to resist purchasing more stamping supplies but I am not happy about it. If I could make enough money to allow me to keep my hobby I might consider it. Those of you who demonstrate; about how many hours do you spend on your business a week? How many "classes" or shows do you have? Do you sell your creations on the side? Do you do alot of web sales? Sorry to be nosey, I just miss buying stuff guilt-free...Thanks for starting this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Hi Julie!

I have to agree with you again on your point about the business side, because that's where my RELIABLE money comes from - the rest is frosting and varies greatly month-to-month.

I have been asked if I could quit my job and do crafting as my sole career because people see that I love it and I'm good at it, but I usually just laugh in their face. haha.. Let's see, I'm a teacher with a guaranteed job/income for the rest of my life with raises anually, full benefits, a pension, summers off etc..
And crafting.. well.. I teach 4-5 times a month at my LSS, at an average of $120/class, I sell my cards at a flower shop, about $150/month, and even IF i started my own business -a brick and mortar LSS- (which I have dreamt about, the store would be called "Stampers Paradise" and I would have all of the cool stamp lines, all the copics, cool patterned papers etc etc etc...) I don't think any of this could compare with my real job (which I love because being a music teacher I still get to be extremely creative and fun) and I wouldn't think about changing the situation I'm in.

I get a great career, and get to stamp for money on the side. Life is pretty good...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I have been asked if I could quit my job and do crafting as my sole career because people see that I love it and I'm good at it, but I usually just laugh in their face. haha.. Let's see, I'm a teacher with a guaranteed job/income for the rest of my life with raises anually, full benefits, a pension, summers off etc..
And crafting.. well.. I teach 4-5 times a month at my LSS, at an average of $120/class, I sell my cards at a flower shop, about $150/month, and even IF i started my own business -a brick and mortar LSS- (which I have dreamt about, the store would be called "Stampers Paradise" and I would have all of the cool stamp lines, all the copics, cool patterned papers etc etc etc...) I don't think any of this could compare with my real job (which I love because being a music teacher I still get to be extremely creative and fun) and I wouldn't think about changing the situation I'm in.

I get a great career, and get to stamp for money on the side. Life is pretty good...

absolutely!! I didn't mean to be so ambiguous there - I inadvertantly was, though. I don't think now is the time to leave a position that your family relies on, because quite honestly, I don't know of anyone who can replace that income. (I'm in a position where my family does not rely on my income - I'm essentially a SAHM who makes some money...I can make a car payment, possibly the utilities, but NEVER the mortgage. What I was referring to as frosting was publication and design work, but spaced on actually explaining that.) :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

absolutely!! I didn't mean to be so ambiguous there - I inadvertantly was, though. I don't think now is the time to leave a position that your family relies on, because quite honestly, I don't know of anyone who can replace that income. (I'm in a position where my family does not rely on my income - I'm essentially a SAHM who makes some money...I can make a car payment, possibly the utilities, but NEVER the mortgage. What I was referring to as frosting was publication and design work, but spaced on actually explaining that.) :rolleyes:
yes well the "frosting" is good sometimes too!! (the extra-extra!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't buy a stick of butter, never mind frosting with crafty earnings!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't there a demo with SU! who received recognition for sales exceeding $100k? Not sure if it was in a calendar year or across several years, but I'd be interested in hearing how she achieved this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks so much for starting this thread. What about working for a stamp company? Maybe not necessarily creating all the time, but more behind the scenes, marketing, advertising, etc.? This is something I would love to do but have no idea how to find any information on this.
Hugs, Christine

My Blog: http://christinestampingspot.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

"I couldn't buy a stick of butter, never mind frosting with crafty earnings!!!"

Joan, thanks for making me laugh. I too couldn't buy a stick of butter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampynWifeView Post
Thanks so much for starting this thread. What about working for a stamp company? Maybe not necessarily creating all the time, but more behind the scenes, marketing, advertising, etc.? This is something I would love to do but have no idea how to find any information on this.
Hugs, Christine
That's essentially of which I was speaking (I'm a part-time employee with Papertrey). If you want to "work" in the craft industry, it's a more stable way to go.

I think reps for direct sales companies can make a decent wage, as well, but in this economy, I'm sure it would be exceedingly difficult to begin.

And Joan, I just adore you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post
Wasn't there a demo with SU! who received recognition for sales exceeding $100k? Not sure if it was in a calendar year or across several years, but I'd be interested in hearing how she achieved this.
Million Dollar Mary. Add another comma and a few zeros, lol. Yes, Mary Polcin was honored last year when she hit the one million dollar mark in career sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Hi Julie!

*chuckle*

On a serious note, tho, I think it's helpful, for those unfamiliar with the "working" side of the industry to understand that while folks like you and I (as hobbyists) may have been drawn to the industry due to the creative aspects of it, most of the bread and butter jobs of the industry are largely administrative in nature.

That said, I can also say I absolutely love my job! I went into it, knowing full well that I wasn't going to be hired to simply design and make stuff all day, lovely as that would be. ;) The bulk of my work is, I dare say, similar to many other jobs--people management, communications (both verbal and a lot of written), scheduling and project management, paper work, etc. While it can be "creative", depending on how one looks at it, the majority of my work responsibilities have nothing to do with actually stampin' and makin' stuff.

I don't think many folks are aware that having an arsenal of other valuable skills, in addition to having a full understanding of rubber stamping/paper crafting, can lead to these types of industry related jobs.

Christine, yes--you certainly could pursue behind the scenes type work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #54  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Million Dollar Mary. Add another comma and a few zeros, lol. Yes, Mary Polcin was honored last year when she hit the one million dollar mark in career sales.
That is truly a remarkable accomplishment considering the average price points in DS. WOW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We're supposed to be able to stamp AND have other valuable skills??? Geez....:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
*chuckle*

On a serious note, tho, I think it's helpful, for those unfamiliar with the "working" side of the industry to understand that while folks like you and I (as hobbyists) may have been drawn to the industry due to the creative aspects of it, most of the bread and butter jobs of the industry are largely administrative in nature.

That said, I can also say I absolutely love my job! I went into it, knowing full well that I wasn't going to be hired to simply design and make stuff all day, lovely as that would be. ;) The bulk of my work is, I dare say, similar to many other jobs--people management, communications (both verbal and a lot of written), scheduling and project management, paper work, etc. While it can be "creative", depending on how one looks at it, the majority of my work responsibilities have nothing to do with actually stampin' and makin' stuff.

I don't think many folks are aware that having an arsenal of other valuable skills, in addition to having a full understanding of rubber stamping/paper crafting, can lead to these types of industry related jobs.

Christine, yes--you certainly could pursue behind the scenes type work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL Jeanne...I feel the same way...I can do one or the other, but not both! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #57  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
We're supposed to be able to stamp AND have other valuable skills??? Geez....:rolleyes:
*snarf*

I had no idea my ability to type 130 wpm would come in so handy for this job. ;)

HAH!

Well, at least until the tendinitis kicks in . . . :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Am I the only naughty person that wanted to answer the title with "yes, you can use alphabet stamps"?

Otherwise fantastic advice.

Also on the sales thing if you think you are of that level to sell Etsy really is gaining popularity and it a good place to get your feet wet from what I have seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #59  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
That is a huge acheivement. It took her 10 years to get there. When you think that the average workshop is $400, that's an average of 4-5 workshops per WEEK over 10 years. Whew! Homegirl was hustlin'!

I'm curious what her profit was out of that million. If it was 40%, then she made $40K per year. That sounds good in theory, but she was working HARD and not earning any benes. Not to mention that this is an example of freakish success and hardly the norm. I'm guessing that the top demos are making more like $10K a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
That is a huge acheivement. It took her 10 years to get there. When you think that the average workshop is $400, that's an average of 4-5 workshops per WEEK over 10 years. Whew! Homegirl was hustlin'!

I'm curious what her profit was out of that million. If it was 40%, then she made $40K per year. That sounds good in theory, but she was working HARD and not earning any benes. Not to mention that this is an example of freakish success and hardly the norm. I'm guessing that the top demos are making more like $10K a year.
Hey, Krystie--your siggy busted me up! I'm on Zoloft. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

BTW, I can't begin to fathom the time and hustle it had to take to pull that off. I remember what it took for me (personal sales alone, not recruits) to come within $3K of earning the cruise back when the requirement was $5K lower than it is now (unless it has risen again since) . . . lolly . . . :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #62  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Hey, Krystie--your siggy busted me up! I'm on Zoloft. ;)
Funny you should mention it, because I just started Zoloft today! Hah! I've dealt with depression off and on my whole life. The post-partum period kicks it up a notch, so I saw the Dr. yesterday. Now I need to change my siggy, I DO think that having a hobby and some time to myself is very helpful, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*zoloft is the best thing I ever swallowed*

I agree with everyone here. I knew one girl who did make "a living" making scrapbook pages for people. The girl WORKED though. ALL THE TIME, hours and hours a day. she was GOOD and FAST, but still had to bust her butt. She didn't make a very cushy living either, but she lived on it. She's moved on since then, she got married and stuff and didn't really have time for those type of hours. She is a sucessful photographer now.

I personally have sold things. I can never figure out prices that don't make me feel like I'm working for peanuts. Now I pretty much don't sell stuff. It's more fun this way.

I wish you luck with any plans you do try out though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post

I personally have sold things. I can never figure out prices that don't make me feel like I'm working for peanuts. Now I pretty much don't sell stuff. It's more fun this way.
I thought this for a while too.. why sell my cards for less than they're worth when I put so much time/thought/creativity into them.. Well..... Pretty soon I had about 200 cards lying around collecting dust and I thought, why not sell them for whatever I can get, and whatever money I make will be better than NOTHING..

I sell my cards for $6 at a local flower shop on consignment, and I get $3.50 from every sale.. Last week I picked up a cheque for $105 and I was like, SWEET.. What I shouldn't tell you is that I put it on my Starbucks card and that will do me for about 2 weeks.. I have a really bad habit.. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

p.s. I was on Zoloft too. It cured me from an eating disorder and depression.. Well Zoloft and weekly visits to the outpatient program at my hospital... I feel the clouds come and go occasionally, but never as bad as it used to be.. I wish you ladies luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #66  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

*snarf*

I had no idea my ability to type 130 wpm would come in so handy for this job. ;)

HAH!

Well, at least until the tendinitis kicks in . . . :rolleyes:
Dang! I think I do about 25 with two fingers and a mess of typos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I DO think that having a hobby and some time to myself is very helpful, though!

Remember, though...there is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness!" (LOL)

:mrgreen:

P.S. I'm a Welbutrin gal, myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #68  
Inking Addict

Quote: "How about demonstrators? Are you really able to support your habit? Are you able to sell enough to others to meet the minimum quota per quarter? Do you get enough from profit to buy fun stuff for yourself? Right now I am able to resist purchasing more stamping supplies but I am not happy about it. If I could make enough money to allow me to keep my hobby I might consider it. Those of you who demonstrate; about how many hours do you spend on your business a week? How many "classes" or shows do you have? Do you sell your creations on the side? Do you do alot of web sales? Sorry to be nosey, I just miss buying stuff guilt-free...Thanks for starting this thread."

One can make money good money as a demo. I am an SU demo and have been at it for about a year and a half. I don't have stories of super high dollar workshops or random orders of a thousand dollars or more. While these things happen they are one out of tens of thousands of demos.
Slowly my business is gaining recognition. I While my favorite thing is making samples, I also spend a lot of time doing things to bring recognition to my business. As a demo to make money it is a balance of marketing, being on the phone, workshops and classes, and building a downline.
For me the best thing I did was hire a business coach. There are so many things that he has helped me with that I never would have been able to figure out on my own. If you want more info in any of those areas just pm me.
Reply With Quote Likes