Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I pick some brains for a moment?

I'm going to be selling some things at an art show. I am having trouble figuring out how to display these felt plush key chains on a table (once I learned how to cut felt with metal dies and my big shot a whole world opened up to me.) I don't want to lay them down, they look better hanging. They are all one of a kind soft sculptures and I want to show them off. I'll attach some pics so you can see their size. Any ideas would be very helpful. I just don't want my display to look likes its falling apart and crappy. I'm trying to come up with creative ideas. The space is shared with my husband who will be hanging original drawings and we will both have art prints on the walls. There may be some wall space for my key chains...but still need a way to hang them. I can't decide which would be better on a table or on a wall. Thanks for your time and brain power =)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 852 Likes on 280 Posts

i think i would go with some sort of tabletop display. Maybe you could paint a section of 2x2 or 4x4 lumber attached to a flat platform and then use small cup hooks, short segments of a wooden dowel, or decorative pushpins to hang them from. Using a dowel would take more work since holes for them to fit in would have to be drilled in the post. Also this method wouldn't work as well on the 2x2 as it would the 4x4.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

how about a wooden tree? use dowels as branches to hang them, and I am sure they will sell, they are cute and unique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

to me the good thing is they have very open-able clasps.

If you get large sized chain (could be plastic) you can drape that on the wall and then hook these guys to that. I am not sure what your "wall" is-if it is actually solid (vs chain link) and you can use pushpins in it....do that. You angle them downward.

Another choice could be table top display fake trees that come apart for storage they hang on like ornaments.

You know the expandable shelving for inside kitchen cabinets? They are like a set of mini stairs from a display POV. While it is new and white you could just have it on the table. When it gets worn, throw a piece of white satin on it as white will give you the most contrast for them (except the white one). Either way you could toss around a few sparkly sequins (not glitter).

Or you can look at jewelry trees in the craft stores (tjmaxx and marshalls carry them too) to get an idea of scale and then you can get earring trees you can hook them onto. Take a couple with you to the store and see how they look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you so much, these are great ideas! =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

you know what? When I first started doing crafty booths I had picked up a wooden ( its a spool holder for those huge spools of quilting thread) so, it kinda looks like an old fashioned coffee mug tree type shaped thing... ( I eventually gave this to my MIL who has a sewing room) but, I bet anything like that where you could dangle them would work?
PS those are really darling

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I immediately thought how cute these would be hung on a clothline made of garden twine. If you had a table Top wood frame (simple with uprights on each end, like goal posts.). On the "goal posts" you could attach several swags of twine by stapling the twine to the wood posts. On the swags you could clip the cute felt items, with a small wood clothes pin (Walmart - office supply section) to keep them from slipping into each other.
The goal posts could be as close together (or far apart) as your table would allow. The twine could be stapled on when you got to the site.

The beauty of this type of display is that it would allow the items to be easily seen and accessed. It also allows for other items you are selling to be displayed in the area below the twine clothesline. As items are sold, you can remove a row of twine with scissors.
Low tech, but it could be kind of funky cute, especially if you trick it up with some leftover skinny strips of felt tied on the twine closeline to give it a colorful, vintage flair.
I just saw a garland displayed in a chic vintage shop that was made of 1/4" wide strips of colored felt (maybe 4" long strips.) that were tied in the center with a simple knot onto a length of white cotton package string. It was the cutest thing ever and I was tempted to buy it, but price was $15 for 3' long section. This garland is what came to mind when I saw your cute little felt pieces. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I immediately thought how cute these would be hung on a clothline made of garden twine. If you had a table Top wood frame (simple with uprights on each end, like goal posts.). On the "goal posts" you could attach several swags of twine by stapling the twine to the wood posts. On the swags you could clip the cute felt items, with a small wood clothes pin (Walmart - office supply section) to keep them from slipping into each other.
The goal posts could be as close together (or far apart) as your table would allow. The twine could be stapled on when you got to the site.

The beauty of this type of display is that it would allow the items to be easily seen and accessed. It also allows for other items you are selling to be displayed in the area below the twine clothesline. As items are sold, you can remove a row of twine with scissors.
Low tech, but it could be kind of funky cute, especially if you trick it up with some leftover skinny strips of felt tied on the twine closeline to give it a colorful, vintage flair.
I just saw a garland displayed in a chic vintage shop that was made of 1/4" wide strips of colored felt (maybe 4" long strips.) that were tied in the center with a simple knot onto a length of white cotton package string. It was the cutest thing ever and I was tempted to buy it, but price was $15 for 3' long section. This garland is what came to mind when I saw your cute little felt pieces. :-D

My husband found an unused, empty frame. The kind that goes over a canvas. I have some rustic looking twine and clothes pins, so I'm thinking stringing them across might work. I only have around 20 of these Poppets so far, and the show is next weekend. I am not a fast sewer, and I treat these like individual art pieces so I don't want to rush them. I think they might all fit in two or three rows. Then we would hang it on the wall. The wall space is about 12 feet across. I think 14 feet high. This would not take up much space at all. We will have to do some experimenting, but I like the rustic string idea and having them in a frame draws the eye right to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluDragonView Post
My husband found an unused, empty frame. The kind that goes over a canvas. I have some rustic looking twine and clothes pins, so I'm thinking stringing them across might work. I only have around 20 of these Poppets so far, and the show is next weekend. I am not a fast sewer, and I treat these like individual art pieces so I don't want to rush them. I think they might all fit in two or three rows. Then we would hang it on the wall. The wall space is about 12 feet across. I think 14 feet high. This would not take up much space at all. We will have to do some experimenting, but I like the rustic string idea and having them in a frame draws the eye right to them.
That sounds PERFECT! Make sure to hang the display down low enough for short people (like me!) to see easily. If its above normal eye level, these little Poppets might get missed!
By the way, Poppets is such a cute name! Have you thought of cutting out felt letters to mount across the top of the frame spelling out the name of these little creatures? I'm picturing a different color for each letter, and maybe some sweet little layered felt do-dad (flower with embellies?) at each end to draw attention to the name.
PS - remember that it is ALL about presentation at art shows and craft shows. A funky/classy eye-appealing display will be what draws people in. You have less than 15 seconds to catch the eye and attention of someone passing by. Good luck with this and have fun! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Love the idea. Seems you didn't need our help after all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 03:13 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

My husband found an unused, empty frame. The kind that goes over a canvas. I have some rustic looking twine and clothes pins, so I'm thinking stringing them across might work...Then we would hang it on the wall.
This sounds like a great way to display them. You might want to back the frame with a piece of plain fabric or paper unless you're sure the wall you'll be hanging on is going to provide a really neutral backdrop. The Poppets are really cute and colurful and I think that shows up best when they're against something pretty plain and matt finish.

Good luck with the sale!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,389 Likes on 520 Posts

Do you sell these on Etsy or privately? I LOVE these!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would probably get a cork board (look near white boards in the office/school supply section) and some pushpins (ones that stick out, not flat tacks) and hang the key chains from the pushpins. Just make sure you've got a place to hang the corkboard or something to prop it against.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It might be an idea to get corkboard to fit this frame. Paint it white. Then you can hang them in any way you want with the pushpins and you will have it for the future too.

I like the idea of having the name up-cute one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Do you sell these on Etsy or privately? I LOVE these!!!!

Whatever doesn't sell at the show will probably make its way into my Etsy shop. =)

Thanks against everyone for the great ideas! I will take pics of our show set up, never know if it will inspire someone. =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Some of our set up =) I sold 10 of my Poppets. I feel so honored. Most of the art on the wall is my husbands. I brought some of my fantasy arts prints but didn't sell any. I did sell some of my clay charms though. If you want to see pics of this event just search in instagram for #cwos it stands for city wide open studio.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Your Poppets are displayed to perfection in that open wood frame -nicely done! And congrats on your sales. Bet you checked out everyone who purchased one, just to be sure they were going to a home where they would be appreciated! ��. You put a lot of heart and soul into each one and it’s nice to hear that they were well received at the show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Your Poppets are displayed to perfection in that open wood frame -nicely done! And congrats on your sales. Bet you checked out everyone who purchased one, just to be sure they were going to a home where they would be appreciated! ��. You put a lot of heart and soul into each one and it�s nice to hear that they were well received at the show.

Thank you =) I made sure everyone who bought one knew they each had a unique name written on their tag. They really liked that too. =)
Reply With Quote Likes