Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Used SU Stamps From Ebay

Yet another reason not to buy SU stamps from ebay: They were nasty!!!!! I bought them on a "buy it now" auction and bought six sets. There was nothing in the auction about their condtion and the seller had great feedback. On top of this, I purchased them on May 12th and just received them today! I had to file a complaint with paypal to get them. I left the seller neutral feedback which was more than nice on my part. I can't imagine selling something in less than good condition!

I have bought several set on the B/S/T forum here and they have been immaculent!!! So I guess if someone else learns from my mistake than it was worth making. Sarah:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

I'm sorry you were not happy with your purchase. I honestly think you are being a little harsh. Although the seller should've stated their condition, you just assumed they were in great condition. You should've asked the seller what condition they were in before agreeing to buy them. Also, I think you were harsh in filing a complaint with paypal so soon. I have bought lots of stamps from ebay and haven't had any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I don't understand how I was being harsh by waiting almost a month to file a complaint with paypal about non-receipt of product. And how it was harsh to leave "neutral" feedback when I could have left negative just as easily!:eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd have been pretty upset if I had waited that long to receive them (unless there was some communication with the seller explaining the delay), but I agree that if the condition wasn't specified in the auction, you should have asked the seller.

Gotta say, I've had good luck with the stamp sets and other items I've gotten on e-bay, but I only go there for the sets I haven't been able to get here on BST. Or, sometimes, when there's one that the auction is ending within minutes and the price on it is really low.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I agree with you, Sarah. Since you had to complain to PayPal just in order to get them, I would assume that you didn't get any response from the seller during your wait. What recourse do you have at that point and what difference is it going to make waiting 3 weeks or 3 month? If you receive no product and no return communication, the seller has your payment and you have nothing, you have every right to find out what's going on and involve PayPal (its one of the reasons why we use them!).

Leaving neutral feedback is certainly okay in your circumstance (maybe too good). As far as stamp conditions go, I always ask. These sellers are total unknowns and there are always people who see something as still working and that's good enough. If a seller puts down, new or excellent condition, and the item isn't, I would hold them to it - but otherwise, I'd figure it one of those crappy life lessons and get into the habit of asking lots of questions.

I'm currently dealing with my first bad sale from SU's website forum (my first in over 5 years of buying/selling/trading there and on here). Had to happen, but why did it have to be for $49.50?!

I hope you're able to salvage and use your purchased stamp sets. Sorry this happened to you,
Diane

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Sorry you received this kind of treatment. I have found that the best sellers alsways tell you what condition their stamps are in. And they always tell a little about the set, too (what types and number of stamps that are in the set, m when introduced, when retired, etc.) I never buy from those that seem to just "dump" the set on the Bay and don't tell me anything about it. They are just trying to make a quick buck and I have found out that many of them are not even stampers. They buy the sets at garage sales to turn around and sell them on ebay.

Always ask the seller questions if you feel that their description is not giving you enough information to provide you with the warm fuzzies that will separate you from your money. A reputable seller will have no qualms answering your questions truthfully. And if they are not truthful, don't hesitate to give them bad feedback. That will help to alert the other unsuspecting buyers out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

Quote:

Originally Posted by shines31View Post
I don't understand how I was being harsh by waiting almost a month to file a complaint with paypal about non-receipt of product. And how it was harsh to leave "neutral" feedback when I could have left negative just as easily!:eek:
Ok, you did not wait almost a month to file a complaint because it's only been 3 weeks since the end of auction. How long after the end of auction did you wait to file the complaint?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I've gotten lots of stamps on ebay, and gotten lots of good deals. Not saying they've all been perfect, but you have to ask questions if info isn't offered. I want to know that the set is complete or not - if not, what's missing. I look for condition, and really appreciate a picture of the rubber side for documentation. I don't even consider a set if there are no photos or if stock images are used. Look at feedback. If someone else has had issues, well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience - but I just want to say not every one does get a tough time! I've bought several stamp sets from eBay in the USA and have never had a problem.

In fact, I've formed a great 'across the pond' friendship with a fellow SCSer following some SU! eBay transactions. I asked for an international shipping charge quote and when she replied I knew the seller hadn't quoted enough. I contacted her again but she insisted her original amount would stand - we've been friends ever since! We exchange emails, RAKs, birthday gifts etc - and I wouldn't have this valued friendship if it wasn't for me buying some used SU! sets from her via eBay.

As I said, I'm sorry you had a negative experience - but I wanted to share some good eBay news! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I paid for the stamps on may 12th. I filed with paypal for non-receipt on June1st. Then the seller said they had been out of town and forgotten to ship when paypal contacted them. I sent them an email 3 days prior to this to see what was going on. it was only when paypal contacted them that they responded. If I sell things, I ship them out as soon as I am paid.....that's part of the process. If they did not have time to mess with auctions, they shouldn't have them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Sorry to hear about such a negative experience! One idea about the stamps. You said they are nasty. Do you mean ink-stained nasty? If so, Ultra Clean stamp cleaner seems to always do the trick. It'll even improve (if not totally fix) set-in stains. Hope you can salvage your purchase!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the cleaner suggestion, I'll try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Ebay has become more and more strict about how things can be listed in terms of condition. For instance, they don't want you to use "like new" or "gently used" anymore, because those are very subjective terms. Gently used to me, may mean something completely different to someone else. Now you are only supposed to list as New or Used.

If the photos don't show the stamps very well, definitely ask if the seller will email you other photos. That's really the only way to be sure of what you are actually getting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I am going to be more careful. I've learned my lesson! Again, they had good feedback and had sold other stamp sets. Maybe, they just didn't realize the condition. Everyone makes mistakes.
I have my own business and making people happy with my work is most important to me. I won't be where I am today if I didn't treat people's house and things like I want mine treated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

If they did not have time to mess with auctions, they shouldn't have them!
Boy Howdy, so true!

I also suspect that the reason your seller didn't mention condition was that they knew the condition wasn't great. Don't ask, don't tell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased my first stamps from ebay. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the stamps shipped and what good condition they were in (except 1 set smelled like Febreeze, but I guess that's better than smelling like cigarette smoke).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I just wanted to say that not all ebay auctions can be bad. I got my Roses in Winter set today and it's better than I expected. It doesn't even look like it has ever seen an ink pad, although it is mounted. It's perfect IMO but the seller did sell it as used. I have sent them an email to say how good the condition was. Now I feel guilty for not paying enough (it was $17, which was only about �8.50 so a bargain for me compared to the �26 in the UK SU catty)!

There are some good sellers out there - you just need to ask and check what the product is like. Asking for more photos if also a good idea and if they won't send you them then the stamps are probably not in good enough condition IMO.

Vannessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have sold many stamp sets on ebay in the past and have always stated the condition exactly with a photograph of the reverse side of the set and very detailed descriptions of any staining - but unfortunately that is not the norm and I myself have been burned by buying a stamp set that was described as 'minimal staining' - it looked like a bunch of kids had played with it - I have never seen so much staining on a stamp set!

But that said, in my experience it is not very common to receive something like that - most of my ebay transactions have been fab - also remember that describing sets is very subjective - the seller might have a very different view to you on what is minimal staining and what is alot of staining...

But definitely look at the description carefully before buying - if there is no mention of staining then ask the seller about it as the sets probably will have some staining. And always check out other sets of the same type for sale as some sellers do not even use their own photograph on an auction which I find disgusting - they will use a photograph of another sellers set which is very wrong as even a photograph of a set is very individual and will show you how the labels are placed and if there is any staining on the top edge of the stamps.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsygirlView Post
...I have sold many stamp sets on ebay in the past and have always stated the condition exactly with a photograph of the reverse side of the set and very detailed descriptions of any staining...
Bingo. If photos of both sides aren't there, then a question should be forwarded to the seller.

Mini-Hijack:

I'm not criticizing those who like *pristine* stamps...I just honestly don't get it! Ink doesn't make them stamp any differently (though bleach will mess 'em up pretty badly and excessive baby wipe use can cause "dead zones" in the rubber that don't pick up ink.) Ink doesn't deteriorate the wood block at all. Do people put their stamps on display or something? Do they like them tidy for resale value? I honestly don't know - enlighten me! ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

The stamps don't have to be perfect. These had multiple layers of ink on the images....like they never cleaned them after each use. If the block is stained or the image, no problem. But sending them out just plain nasty is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I have bought heavily used sets from my SU demo at her retirement sale. Her sets get used A LOT & I have seen the abuse first hand when at our monthly club or attending classes she has. (Not to mention the abuse her ink pads go through!) The stamps are sometimes caked with ink. I have had good luck getting them pretty clean. I have used Dawn foam, simple green, olive oil, you name it. The staining on the wood doesn't bother me. They still stamp well, and she sells them at a discount. So it's worth it to me. Hopefully you got a good deal (price wise) and you'll be able to get them cleaned up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage RedheadView Post
Bingo. If photos of both sides aren't there, then a question should be forwarded to the seller.

Mini-Hijack:

I'm not criticizing those who like *pristine* stamps...I just honestly don't get it! Ink doesn't make them stamp any differently (though bleach will mess 'em up pretty badly and excessive baby wipe use can cause "dead zones" in the rubber that don't pick up ink.) Ink doesn't deteriorate the wood block at all. Do people put their stamps on display or something? Do they like them tidy for resale value? I honestly don't know - enlighten me! ~ kbc
While I don't go crazy if they have ink on the wood, I don't want them looking like they have been used by a bunch of toddlers. For me it has nothing to do with resale value, just personal preference. I have mellowed a bit on it though, and I have found using Ultra Clean makes a huge difference. But then again, I am one that doesn't like my food to touch on my plate. I am the only one at Thanksgiving that has distinct piles of food with space in between,lol.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry you've had a bad experience! I have had great experience so far buying SU Sets on eBay. It stinks that there are some bad sellers out there that take the fun out everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
While I don't go crazy if they have ink on the wood, I don't want them looking like they have been used by a bunch of toddlers. For me it has nothing to do with resale value, just personal preference. I have mellowed a bit on it though, and I have found using Ultra Clean makes a huge difference. But then again, I am one that doesn't like my food to touch on my plate. I am the only one at Thanksgiving that has distinct piles of food with space in between,lol.:rolleyes:
haha! I DO let my toddlers use my stamps. They only have a few sets they care about using and I let them and they are all marked up on the wood. I don't care at all.

That being said I KNOW people care so whenever I sell those ones I make sure to note "My 2 and 3 year olds played with these, the rubber is fine but be sure to look at the photos to make sure you can handle the wood staining."

I'll tell you though, It's never affected how well those sold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Aw, I'm sorry you had a bad experience - I have bought a few sets on the 'bay and all but one has been surprising. I only buy via photos though (front and back) and if they have super good feedback rating. Even still, you have the right to be upset because you paid good money for a product and although it may not help you with your stamps, at least you will be able to tell others through your honest and humble feedback left. I applaud you for leaving neutral - esp now with the new system, yes, you could have left negative with no recourse but you were very kind. It's hard - you trust the buyer and sometimes it is a gamble.

THat's a good question that someone posed about "tidying them up" for the 'bay - I have only gotten one stamp that was horrible and doesn't stamp at all. It looks good though That's probably exactly what she did, lol.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I own 20 sets of SU stamps and about 100 other wood mounted stamps that were bought on eBay. I've never had a problem because a) I ask a question before I bid if I have any doubts, and b) I have reasonable expectations when buying anything, stamps or otherwise, used.

I also try to never say that other people "should" or "should not" behave based on how I would do something.

Finally, one person's "bad" experience is certainly not a reason to say "another reason not to buy stamps on ebay". Clearly huge numbers of people DO buy stamps on ebay. If the seller had good feedback then most of those who purchased from this seller were satisfied. I have found ebay a great, and economical, way to buy a lot of stamps, especially the SU stamps which I find overpriced new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

The stamps don't have to be perfect. These had multiple layers of ink on the images....like they never cleaned them after each use. If the block is stained or the image, no problem. But sending them out just plain nasty is unacceptable.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "nasty". Did they have food or something else caked on them? I guess all I can picture is ink on the image or block.

The biggest disappointment I got was a set that had been mounted without ever cutting it out. I don't think the set had ever been used, and I wasn't about to leave bad or neutral feedback over it. I got a great deal, and other then a little bit of nasty, sticky from removing and remounting it, I love the set. Anyone have a suggestion for dealing with the excess stick?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I DO let my toddlers use my stamps.
Mine did when they were toddlers. Now I take them to school during parties and the kids stamp with them.

Oddly enough: the kids have always been "neater" than the adults have! To each their own...my stamps are messy and I love it that way. It proves to my husband that they *DO* get used! :mrgreen: ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've had one experience when I bought the Crayon Kids on Ebay. The lady had used regular paint to stamp the kids room, however she let the paint dry and now I still have green dried paint on the rubber. I don't have any problems with it because it still gives me great images. I will for sure try that cleaning solution because I've tried so many others to get it off. The lady neglected to tell me about the paint and I paid $25 for it too. Other than, I had pretty good luck with buying SU sets from Ebay overall.

Connie J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

This has been a really helpful experience for me. I just went about buying stamps on ebay uninformed. I appreciate every suggestion that was posted here. Ebay is a great tool! I use it a lot too. I just didn't ask the right questions and now this won't happen again thanks to all of you! I feel I can now buy used stamps sucessfully on ebay! I also learned a great deal about cleaning them! Thanks. Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Unfortunatly like anywhere there are good and bad sellers as well as buyers. I have had sellers and buyers go sour on me through eBay and other auction sites. However I would not put down the site or buying stamps on eBay just because of a bad experience. If anything share the sellers name with us so we don't make the same mistake and purchase from that individual person.

Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

It's also important to remember that Ebay is a forum for EVERYONE to use, from the hardcore entrepreneur or legitimate business to the person who just has a pile of stuff to unload. So, since the person said they were out of town, maybe they really were. I've sold on ebay for a long time and sometimes things happen...you don't put your life on hold because you have a couple auctions ending. As for the condition...i guess it's always best to ask if it's not stated. Just one question...did you email her about the condition before you posted neutral feedback?? That was always one of my biggest pet peeves about my buyers...they were so quick with the feedback but never contacted me first to work anything out...

Sorry you got burned, but don't give up because of one bad experience...i've had countless good experiences on the 'bay...

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Not all SU sets sold on ebay are nasty. I sell sets on Ebay all the time, and my sets are all in very good condition. In fact, I just listed several last night. I always note in my listing if any of the stamps are stained. As well, I ship within 2 days of receipt of payment. Don't let one bad experience keep you from ever buying on Ebay. If you find something you're interested, email the seller and ask questions, or ask if the seller will send you a picture of the rubber side of the stamps so you can see the condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I know someone else mentioned Ultra Clean already. I just wanted to second that. It is absolutely amazing stuff. Gets off the worst of stains. Definitely give it a try. I love the stuff.

Someone else asked how to get the stickiness off the wood where there used to be rubber ... I use Goo Gone, takes it right off. I've also heard of people sprinkling baby powder on the sticky spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Default buying off e-bay

Sorry you had such a disappointment and it is really frustrating when you are waiting for a set . I have both bought and sold has some awesome experiences and some disappointments- occationally I get a set that was never trimmed but put on the wood; sometimes they are nasty stained and caked with ink.
But for the most part the stamps are in great condition but I do look for detailed descriptions . Sometimes the older sets can have brittle rubber from non use and stored for a long time they get very dry- when I get these i condition them with baby oil let them sit and the rubber comes back to life.
Personally stains do not bother me - stamps are meant to be used and loved I really can't stamp easily when i worry about staining - so my stamps ...well.. they are well loved ..yet I know people who are Stampers but can't stand to stain their staps so they don't use them so they stay pristine "in case they want to sell them some day" really ...what fun is that? It's like baking and not getting any dishes dirty!!!
Don't be sour on e-bay there are lots of great sellers!
Betti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally agree with you Betti, what's a little ink on a stamp....however, on my SU sets I tend to cater to clean them a bit better than my misc. stamps. I also let my kids use my misc. stamps too. As long as they still stamp the image, I'm ok with that.

Connie J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

98% of my stamp sets have come from eBay--mostly with fabulous results. To be fair, mild staining does not bother me and I do not HAVE to have NUM sets.

Were the products mis-represented? Were you misled by the answers you received to the questions you asked? I think it's a bit unfair to paint all sellers of SU sets on eBay as horrible sellers because of your one unpleasant experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
Someone else asked how to get the stickiness off the wood where there used to be rubber ... I use Goo Gone, takes it right off. I've also heard of people sprinkling baby powder on the sticky spots.
Thanks! I've even got Goo Gone downstairs, so I'll need to use it to clean up. If a mounted set that was uncut is the worse problem I ever have, I think I'll be in good shape (at least I know how to fix the issue)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

when I get these i condition them with baby oil let them sit and the rubber comes back to life.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I didn't realize you could do this ~ most or all of my stamps are new to mint (even the ones from the 'bay) I only had one bad experience where the stamp was not good - she had a photo, all + FB & the stamp looked good. But it's a PSX - I have since heard that some of their stamps dont hold up well if they are overused. It BARELY stamps the image, even if I overload it with ink (which of course then you get the rim around the top of the stamp!)
So I just lightly dab it with baby oil w/ a cotton swab, cotton ball - what works best? How do you go about doing this? It wouldn't hurt. I had wanted this particular stamp for FOREVER and was so excited to win it only to see it barely stamps.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

I get alot on ebay- only had one problem- my "so very" set was missing CUTE! :(
But i went back and looked at the listing and it listed the number of stamps that was in the box- so it was my bad!! Oh well...
(btw if anyone has a "cute" stamp from that set- just laying around....LOL)
Otherwise- i have always been pleased with my stamps from Ebay!
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes