Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am not a PTI customer, ever have been - no particular reason just a company that hasn't floated my boat.

I do however work in Customer Service, I am the manager of a team that deals with with thousands of shipments a day worth millions of dollars shipping internationally. I have printed out the above email sent to Terri for my team and told them if I EVER see anything like this coming out of this office they will be fired, no questions asked.

I am shocked and appalled as a Customer Service Professional that anyone would respond to a customer in that manner and have the audacity to put Customer Service under their name. Customers can be challenging, dealing with people is emotional and it can turn personal but the job of working in Customer Service requires you to not respond in kind.

There are 3 sides to every story , the two sides and the truth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Junkie - you hit the nail on the head! Bravo to you for showing that note to your team.

I have never purchased from PaperTrayInk only because of what I have read on this forum. This hobby is very expensive and I work hard for my money. There are a lot of companies out there people can choose from. That said, if I were a customer for 7 years and purchased monthly from that company and had just purchased when the item I'd been wanting and calling about came in, I certainly would not have expected such a nasty reply. The person from PTI should have had another customer service representative or the owner look at her response before she hit the send button. Not only was it irresponsible, she drove a long time customer away. You can only do that for so long to customers. . . and then there was none.

Last edited by Biko8666; 11-14-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Like Sue, I've worked in a customer call center. I found that there were a certain percentage of customers who were quite unreasonable in their demands - but it was really a pretty small percentage. Granted, we're only getting Terri's side of the story. Maybe Julie felt that Terri was barraging her with questions as to when that paper was going to be in, and it was getting on Julie's last nerve. Guess what? Julie's response was still completely unacceptable. And if she felt she was being barraged, why didn't she call the manufacturer sooner, so that she could give the customer an answer other than "soon"?

If you read the whole post, this is the response that Julie sent after the customer had ordered enough cardstock to get the free shipping, anyway! Terri places an order of over $70 to get free shipping, then tries to message Nichole about it, and gets this DUMPAGE from Julie. Holy crap. However, based on past stories of PTI, if Nichole had gotten the message, the response wouldn't have been much different.

You can argue that it was unreasonable for a customer to expect free shipping on an order because the item came in after she had just placed an order that qualified for free shipping. The issue I see with this isn't so much that Julie refused to offer free shipping on a small order, it was the nasty tone of the response. If her belief as a business owner is that all her customers are out to get something for nothing, she probably should find a new line of work. Something where she doesn't have to interact with people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #84  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

That was a very unprofessional email for a company to send - under any circumstances. A company should never come across as bitter and resentful, and that's exactly the message that this email sends. I would never shop there. I never have in the past, and I never would in the future. Wow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #85  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you to everyone who took the time to voice their opinions about my issues with PTI. I really appreciate the support. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just want you to know I never altered any response from PTI it was posted exactly as it was written. I would never do anything like that! I love/loved their products and had not shopped anywhere else for years so I am not trying to promote any other company. I am in desperate need of replacing the products that I used from them for my business specifically the cardstock and ribbon. I know it won't be easy but I have to do it because I will not give a company like that my business anymore. I did not post this here to cause a problem only to let others know who they are doing business with. Nobody should be treated like that especially over something so simple. I hope I can continue to be a part of this community of stampers and find other good paper crafting companies to do business with.

Last edited by Terrbear; 11-14-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with all who have said that Julie's response was inappropriate and unnecessary. They are sticking to the letter of their policy and not making exceptions and that is all she need reiterate. Her tirade along the lines of demanding customers is best left to after hours, venting her job frustrations with family and close friends, not writing to a customer.

I think the bottom line is that people are learning which companies will go the extra mile, and which will follow their policy without exception. I agree, it was lousy timing for the product to come in one day after the customer placed her order, but I've been there before. Sometimes you just have to take the lumps. Yes, it's disappointing but not worth the grief in my opinion. (Some brick & mortar retail shops will offer retroactive discounts, etc., if you have a receipt for buying something within a certain time period - often two or three days - before it went on sale, and you can sometimes receive the difference. But I don't know how common that practice is any more. Not exactly the same thing, but a policy I wish a lot of online stores had!)

Aside from the nasty written response, she is just sticking to their policy. If you use their products for a business, and have not run into their inventory issues already, then you've actually been doing really well! Inventory/stocking has always been an issue for PTI. But the customer ordered what she needed once it was in stock, if I read correctly, and enough to get free shipping. If it's product she's going to use anyway, I don't really see where the problem is. And of course, it would make sense to find a substitute for anything that you are absolutely reliant on for a business.

Please don't flame me ;) !! It is ridiculous to me that Julie is still sending out these kinds of emails to people. That was her downfall here. It reflects poorly on the company and is enough evidence of a lack of concern for customers to turn many people off of doing business there. It seems that whenever there is a spell of peace in PTI-land, inappropriate behavior again rears its head. Reputation is everything in business, and emails like this are a loose cannon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #87  
Rubber Obsessor

How about my situation/bad experience with PTI? THEY were the ones who made a mistake in shipping my order to me to a drop off service just across the border in Buffalo (they shipped 1 particular die instead of the 2 that I ordered). I ship orders there on occasion when I go across the border for a mini summer vacation, so I want to stress that I don't go across the border often (usually just once, maybe twice a year). I get free US shipping from PTI (over $70), and all I pay is the $5 pick up fee at the Kinek point. After admitting that it was THEIR MISTAKE, Julie's response was that she would only ship the missing die to the original ship point, which meant that I had to travel over 6 hours (3 there, 3 back) to pick up a $10 die, plus pay another $5 pick-up fee at Kinek. Instead, I argued that almost every other orders I have placed in the 4 or so years I've been buying their product, I have paid to ship to me here in the Toronto area (minus the few occasions I'd go across the border). Honestly, how much could it cost to ship a small die to me here in Toronto, considering it was their error? But she refused, saying it was company policy to send the missing item to the original ship point.
So rather than do the right thing (IMO), PTI lost yet another loyal, long-standing customer (me).
I agree that there are always 3 sides to every story - both parties, and the truth! However, I have kept all our corresponding e-mails in the event that one day, I may want to revisit this "Attitude of Pretentiousness", if not for verification purposes, then at least to help me maintain my decision to no longer purchase from this company.
Which is a shame, as I do enjoy some of their products, and some of the lovely ladies on their Design Team are amazing talents & wonderful women.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #88  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrbearView Post
Thank you to everyone who took the time to voice their opinions about my issues with PTI. I really appreciate the support. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just want you to know I never altered any response from PTI it was posted exactly as it was written. I would never do anything like that! I love/loved their products and had not shopped anywhere else for years so I am not trying to promote any other company. I am in desperate need of replacing the products that I used from them for my business specifically the cardstock and ribbon. I know it won't be easy but I have to do it because I will not give a company like that my business anymore. I did not post this here to cause a problem only to let others know who they are doing business with. Nobody should be treated like that especially over something so simple. I hope I can continue to be a part of this community of stampers and find other good paper crafting companies to do business with.
One thing I've learned is nothing is irreplaceable. No product or company. Whatever you want to replace you can definitely find a comparable product. We can help if you want. But there are endless sources for cardstock and ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always provide to the customer...extra shipping fees are sometimes the cost of doing business. Good will is worth every penny of the extra charge.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #90  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post

Aside from the nasty written response, she is just sticking to their policy. If you use their products for a business, and have not run into their inventory issues already, then you've actually been doing really well! Inventory/stocking has always been an issue for PTI. But the customer ordered what she needed once it was in stock, if I read correctly, and enough to get free shipping. If it's product she's going to use anyway, I don't really see where the problem is.

The problem is the nasty written response. There are ways to adhere to your policies, and explain your policies, without alienating your customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I know with PTI and other companies there are three sides to every story.

I am with Gale on the other postings I have seen about this company and their over the top bad service. What I have gotten from PTI is that they hate their customers. They only love money. The most important of all they are always the victim. I have seen so many letters from this company posted on forums and blogs where they outright complain how they were victimized by the customers. That slave comment was just over the top and reiterates once again how it's all the customer's fault and PTI is the poor helpless victim. I do want to add that I have seen a lot of customer complaints on PTI where I felt like the customer was in the wrong. The replies from PTI have always been over the top and hateful.

I am betting money that the other stamp companies have stories about the customers from h***. I bet there has been some days the other stamp companies felt like closing their doors and tell everyone where they can go in not so nice terms. The companies don't. They have something called professionalism.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
The problem is the nasty written response. There are ways to adhere to your policies, and explain your policies, without alienating your customers.
EXACTLY. It was the nasty tone of that letter, belittling the customer(s) that was the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #93  
Embossing Fanatic

See below I can't figure out how to delete this one.

Last edited by Terrbear; 11-15-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #94  
Embossing Fanatic

You are probably right about that but it is not going to be easy. I would love help finding a replacement especially for their cardstock and ribbon. I need to find something in similar weight and color. Suggestions? I have already ordered a sampler pack of cardstock from MFT. I am also going to check out GinaK.

Read more: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
One thing I've learned is nothing is irreplaceable. No product or company. Whatever you want to replace you can definitely find a comparable product. We can help if you want. But there are endless sources for cardstock and ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #95  
Embossing Fanatic

What they did to you was not right either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink-Creatable WOHView Post
How about my situation/bad experience with PTI? THEY were the ones who made a mistake in shipping my order to me to a drop off service just across the border in Buffalo (they shipped 1 particular die instead of the 2 that I ordered). I ship orders there on occasion when I go across the border for a mini summer vacation, so I want to stress that I don't go across the border often (usually just once, maybe twice a year). I get free US shipping from PTI (over $70), and all I pay is the $5 pick up fee at the Kinek point. After admitting that it was THEIR MISTAKE, Julie's response was that she would only ship the missing die to the original ship point, which meant that I had to travel over 6 hours (3 there, 3 back) to pick up a $10 die, plus pay another $5 pick-up fee at Kinek. Instead, I argued that almost every other orders I have placed in the 4 or so years I've been buying their product, I have paid to ship to me here in the Toronto area (minus the few occasions I'd go across the border). Honestly, how much could it cost to ship a small die to me here in Toronto, considering it was their error? But she refused, saying it was company policy to send the missing item to the original ship point.
So rather than do the right thing (IMO), PTI lost yet another loyal, long-standing customer (me).
I agree that there are always 3 sides to every story - both parties, and the truth! However, I have kept all our corresponding e-mails in the event that one day, I may want to revisit this "Attitude of Pretentiousness", if not for verification purposes, then at least to help me maintain my decision to no longer purchase from this company.
Which is a shame, as I do enjoy some of their products, and some of the lovely ladies on their Design Team are amazing talents & wonderful women.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #96  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes I was. I did thousands of dollars of business with them every year. I completely agree! I had never asked for anything like that before. The reason I did it was because they made me wait over a month for the product. Why couldn't she have called to see what the hold up was the other 3 times I asked for it? She acted like she was doing me the biggest favor by calling to see where it was. It was just a phone call. What also does not make sense is to how it suddenly showed up a day after I placed the other order. I doubt she was willing to pay to overnight it since she was not willing to pay $6.75 to ship it to me for free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
It also sounds like Terri was a repeat customer with regular large orders. Hell yes, they should kowtow to customers like that. They should do everything they can to keep them happy, within reason. And shipping a small order for free to a customer that spends that much is within reason. True, there are 2 or 3 side to every story but every single person posting here can't be lying. And I've seen posts at other boards too. That's way too many bad experiences. Not only would I never buy from PTI again, I don't even want to use the PTI stuff I do have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #97  
Embossing Fanatic

I completely agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #98  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink-Creatable WOHView Post
Nope, totally not right. What if it had been shipped to your residence and you had just moved across country? That's ridiculous! Policies are guidelines, they're not laws that entail jail time if broken. I too, like many other commenters have worked in customer service, both as an agent and as management. As has already been said, without customers you have no job. In fact, that carries across all industries. No matter where or how you're employed, you have customers and without them you are useless. I work in HR now, and the applicants, the staff, and the hiring managers are my customers. No them = no me. That's just how life works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #99  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter where or how you're employed, you have customers and without them you are useless. I work in HR now, and the applicants, the staff, and the hiring managers are my customers. No them = no me. That's just how life works!
Paper Trey Ink has been plagued with customer service problems for years, if I remember correctly, and still has a thriving business. They have no reason to change. I'm surprised more people haven't noticed these problems don't seem to affect them. They obviously acquire a large number of new customers to make up for those they lose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Every time this thread resurfaces (or a similar one starts), I have the same thought: because PTI is an online presence and the number of potential customers is almost limitless, I honestly believe that they view customer loss as no big deal - another one will come along immediately to take their place. What's that famous phrase? "There's a sucker born every minute..."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #101  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Every time this thread resurfaces (or a similar one starts), I have the same thought: because PTI is an online presence and the number of potential customers is almost limitless, I honestly believe that they view customer loss as no big deal - another one will come along immediately to take their place. What's that famous phrase? "There's a sucker born every minute..."
What I find amazing is how many people keep ordering from them even after reading these threads.

Once I saw how they treated other people, I stopped ordering from them. I'm not willing to volunteer to be treated badly, I'm sure there would have been some issue somewhere along the way. Nothing they sell is a have to have, it's all a choice.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
What I find amazing is how many people keep ordering from them even after reading these threads.

Once I saw how they treated other people, I stopped ordering from them. I'm not willing to volunteer to be treated badly, I'm sure there would have been some issue somewhere along the way. Nothing they sell is a have to have, it's all a choice.
From what I've seen, it seems that a lot of the people who order from them and participate in their forum feel that they are in a special club, and they are very quick to defend the company. From some older posts here, they seem to feel either 1) I've never had a problem, so this person must be making this all up; or 2)This person is being completely unreasonable and shouldn't expect what she is expecting. Oh, or 3) But PTI is just a small company and they are having growing pains.

For me, I have seen some of their items that I would really like - but every time I think I might chance it and place an order, I get kind of a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and I know that I am going to be stressing about whether my order will get here, whether it will be complete, whether something will be defective and I'll have to deal with Julie insisting that I just don't know how to use it and it will be a hassle to get my return shipping back - and I decide that a hobby shouldn't cause that much stress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #103  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
they seem to feel either 1) I've never had a problem, so this person must be making this all up; or 2)This person is being completely unreasonable and shouldn't expect what she is expecting. Oh, or 3) But PTI is just a small company and they are having growing pains.

As a current customer of PTI I have to comment (again). I have never thought that anyone "made up" a story. I HAVE thought that people have embellished or perhaps left things out but I don't think I have ever thought that it was 100% false or made up. #2...yes, at times I have felt that some people are unreasonable. I have found in this hobby that there are many who believe they are above the rules. Since they spend X amount of dollars, they should be treated better and/or rules should be bent for them. I have never understood that. I spend LOTS of money at WalMart but you know what? They have never given me something for free simply because they did not have it on the day I was looking for it. I shop quite often at Joanns and spend more than I should due to convenience. I have encountered what I thought were rude employees almost every time I go in there. I don't think it is right that they are rude and I have heard many others tell of their same experiences but I still go! Again, it is convenient. People complain ALL THE TIME about SU's shipping policies. They still order stuff. I have forgotten things on my SU orders and gone back to add it on and SU has never once offered to add it to my order or ship it for free even when I have asked. Maybe I am missing something and if I am, I will admit it. Just seems to me that the whole "Do you know who I AM???" thing is a little outta control in this hobby. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mel - again, you make valid points. Entitlement is everywhere - in this hobby and out of it. And yes, some people do have unreasonable demands. The recurring theme that I've noticed isn't so much that the complainant didn't get what they wanted (that was just the catalyst), but that they were treated so incredibly badly that they were frustrated beyond the norm. I know any time I've been in a situation where I felt that I was not heard, or that I was misunderstood, or been treated in a way that made me feel "less than" as an individual, I wanted to lash out and cry and shake the other person involved and who knows what else - it's very frustrating and invalidating. Everyone wants to feel like they matter, and the way Julie & Co treat customers who have a complaint - valid or not - is appalling. THAT, from what I can gather, is the issue - not the "I didn't get my way and they're rude" thing...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

Different regulations apply to mail order companies than to brick and mortar stores. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/435.2 Hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

X

Last edited by Sorosie; 11-17-2014 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

I agree. It's not so much Terri should have gotten anything different because of her custom.
BUT as some one who spends a lot of money, actively participated in the forums and so many PTI blog hops, I think maybe there is an expectation of more friendliness or courtesy when you interact with a company.
I'd been a PTI cheerleader for a long time. Went to see them at CHA's, Stampaffair, and was very supportive financially. I was 'friends' with some designer through social media. Called into their radio show....you get the gist.
I felt like forget about how much money I spent, but I felt I did have somewhat more of a 'friendship' than the regular customer and I expected more than the interaction I received.

And in this industry there is a sense of entitlement because the companies sort of create it. Join our community. Do our challenges, visit us at our events, like our Facebook and Instagram pages. Retweet, hashtag and blog your creations using our products. Overpay for limited edition signed item. Fight for those items in eBay.

THEN once you've done all these things and you need the company- you get a rude awakening. Yes this is a business transaction. But making you feel like 'part of the community' goes both ways. I've done all these things to help you and promote your company. More than the average purchaser. Should I not have an ecpectation to be treated with more repspect or friendliness? Do I feel like you should jump through an additional hoop or two for me- probably.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

I admit I am a 3rd party to all of this. I haven't ordered from PTI.

However, there are many ways to say you are not going to make an exception to a "rule" for someone, without making them never want to shop with you again.

Also, from the many internet mail order type companies I have used I do know another thing - that companies know what and when to expect their next shipment and if they don't that isn't the customer's fault. And yes, reasonable customers understand that sometimes things are expected in a shipment and they don't come.

Also if you provide a product and list it out of stock, a customer does have the right to ask when you are going to get it in stock. It isn't being a bad customer, it is actually being a loyal customer attempting to get the product from you first.

PTI for whatever reason seems to have this idea that their customer is "the enemy".

I guarantee that if PTI would change their customer service they would draw even more customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #109  
Pearl-ExPert

Mel - I apologize; I wasn't trying to speak ill of you, or of any other PTI customers. To be honest, sometimes I feel that what customers expect as compensation for a problem is over the top. It's not just a crafting thing - at the company I worked for, I once had a customer who expected us to compensate him for his item being on backorder by giving him a complete refund and shipping the item at no charge when it came in. (I don't mean not charging shipping - I mean, sending out a free item which cost over $100.)

However, all the smaller independent stamp companies market by trying to make their customers feel like friends - blog postings, forums, release parties. It creates a demand for their items. PTI is exceptionally good at that part of the business - they even had to create an "I Want It All" button back in the day, for customers who wanted everything from the release and didn't want to have to put each item in their cart individually because something might sell out before they got to it. The problem is, that "friend" vibe goes out the window as soon as someone has a problem and submits a customer service request. I have a friend who stopped ordering from them because of a problem with a return and exchange when she was returning an item that PTI shipped wrong, and the item they sent was worth roughly double of the item she ordered and paid for. If a company makes a mistake that's to the customer's benefit, and the customer is honest enough to let them know about it, it is wrong wrong wrong for the company to act like the customer is some sort of criminal and trying to rip them off. It took her forever to get a refund on her shipping, and Julie kept telling her that they hadn't received the returned item for at least 2 weeks after the tracking showed it was delivered and signed for.

I know that companies make mistakes in shipping - it's actually easy to do - and sometimes a defective item slips through or an order is lost during shipping. I've had it happen, and as long as I get my items in the end, I'm happy. But the reason I won't order from PaperTrey is that if something is wrong with my items, I'm going to need to deal with their customer service - and the thought of that makes me itchy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #110  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
However, all the smaller independent stamp companies market by trying to make their customers feel like friends - blog postings, forums, release parties. It creates a demand for their items. PTI is exceptionally good at that part of the business - they even had to create an "I Want It All" button back in the day, for customers who wanted everything from the release and didn't want to have to put each item in their cart individually because something might sell out before they got to it. The problem is, that "friend" vibe goes out the window as soon as someone has a problem and submits a customer service request..
Oh, no apology necessary No worries here!! I do agree with what you said though about making it personal. There were a few others who said the same thing just before you did and that DID make me think on this a bit harder. Having never had a problem, it is hard for me to relate. I also revisted my "issue" with the whole entitlement thing. In changing my perspective, I thought that maybe what people are saying is "I have spent x amount of money here, do you REALLY think I would be making a fuss over a $5 item...money is not the issue" and when I look at it like that, my opinion does change. I guess I tend to be a little more understanding because while I am not technically in the service industry, I do have clients and their happiness is what keeps me employed. Having said all that, I STILL can be an absolute nightmare to have around!! I have mouthed off to people more than once and thought "Oh, I will catch hell for that one..." and at times have said things with tears in my eyes that, had it been sent in an email, one would have thought me just a bi**h instead of someone who was actually quite upset about the whole situation. I was fired from a waitressing job because I flagged a customer down to offer them their $0.50 "tip" back :rolleyes: after catering to their every demand for what felt like an eternity. To this day, I swear I would do it again even knowing I would get fired. Because of this, I guess I am just more forgiving with some things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm always surprised when people order from PITI, and I'm never surprised when they have a problem. I don't buy from PITI because there are way too many companies out there with superb products & superb customer service. I read a blog all the time that has the lady using PITI products & praising them every which way. The only thing I imagine is that for some bizarre reason they haven't had a problem, but when they do, and they will, they will be complaining too. If you run a business, and want it to succeed - customer service is the most important thing you can offer. PITI doesn't seem to understand that concept. The only way they will understand it is if they start losing money. I just know that I won't be feeling "twitchy" about any order I choose to make. And, by the way, MarcoPaper.com carries 100 & 110 pound Cougar cardstock that's exquisite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #112  
Glitter Guru

I have never subscribed to the belief that "the customer is always right." But I do wholeheartedly believe that a business professional has an obligation to be respectful and polite to his/her customers. Even when a customer is being unreasonable. (I'm not saying that anyone who has posted has been unreasonable. It's a general statement.) There are polite and respectful ways of sticking to your policies while maintaining dignity and professionalism. When owners and customer service personnel send emails like the ones I've read in this thread, they not only disrespect their customers, but they show how little they value their own business and their reputation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I'm always surprised when people order from PITI, and I'm never surprised when they have a problem. I don't buy from PITI because there are way too many companies out there with superb products & superb customer service. I read a blog all the time that has the lady using PITI products & praising them every which way. The only thing I imagine is that for some bizarre reason they haven't had a problem, but when they do, and they will, they will be complaining too. If you run a business, and want it to succeed - customer service is the most important thing you can offer. PITI doesn't seem to understand that concept. The only way they will understand it is if they start losing money. I just know that I won't be feeling "twitchy" about any order I choose to make. And, by the way, MarcoPaper.com carries 100 & 110 pound Cougar cardstock that's exquisite.
Yeah, I haven't ordered from Marco but was going to recommend them but don't think they do the matching ribbon. I think for matching ribbon people are going to have to go to Gina K Designs, Stamping Up...

I haven't been a person that buys matching collections (I'm a rebel like that), but I'm sure there are others.

If you have a fabric store nearby they may have Offray swatches that you can match up etc. I know that is another step but once matched up chances are you can always get that ribbon from Offray as they have been around forever (I'm sure there are other ribbon manufacturers that too).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #114  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

My PTI stories about Julie's poison pen wouldn't change this thread any, but I WAS addicted to their cardstock until recently when I took my last shipment to a local Minute Man Press store to be lazer cut for a 100 A6 card project. While waiting for the cuts, I asked if they sold 110 lb. white cardstock. Indeed they did, in any amount I wanted. I bought 250 sheets of 110 lb. Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 8 1/2X11 Smooth cardstock for $46.00. That's 18 cents a sheet. That's 3 cents a sheet more than PTI stock, but it's also much heavier and whiter than PTI's, and I didn't have to pay shipping. Thus ends my shopping at PTI. I won't be needing their cardstock anymore.

There is alot of talent at PTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #115  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

While I totally agree this letter was appalling, I disagree completely that it was shared publicly. No matter what happens or how we're treated we should not return the evil. That letter was sent privately, it was to one person...you. If you want us to know that we take a risk buying from a company just say "buyer beware" but don't post the details. As customers we then have the ability to think for ourselves and make the choice to buy or not buy.
Operating with integrity is a huge challenge today,but we, as customers, have as much responsibility to use integrity as the retail industry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Unfortunately, if these emails are not shared the general public don't know the scope of the problem and it gets into a he said/she said. Whilst it can be a bit distasteful think of it as Monica Lewinsky's dress, without it there were just allegations and innuendo, with it, there is substantiation.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 11-18-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry, customers DO need to know what is going on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #118  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Huh... just my two cents, but I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing a customer service e-mail. This is not a personal letter between two friends. There is nothing private about Julie in the e-mail (age, birth date, family life). Julie represents the business, so this is a letter from the business.

I don't see any malicious intent in posting the letter. It would only be malicious, if the letter was a fabrication. And, in this instance, this seems to be a genuine communication.

For what it's worth, Papertrey Ink is listed on Yelp, so any one of us can share our positive or negative feelings about the company to a wider audience.

Like many others have said, it's fine to stick to your policies, but it's very unprofessional to express your personal frustrations in business correspondence, and especially detrimental to do so in a customer service communication.

I used to work with an HR manager who was a real pro. I would hear her talking to senior partners at the law firm with genuine concern in her voice, "Oh really, Sally your temporary fill-in was 10 minutes late? I'm so sorry that inconvenienced you. She was actually down here with me discussing her assignment with you. Thanks." Then she would roll her eyes at me and hang up the phone.

A simple, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately we're crazy busy here getting new and exciting products out to you and all of our customers, so we can't always meet every special request. I need to respect Julie's decision, but I'll talk to her about improving customer service. Thank you so much for your business. I hope you'll continue to enjoy our products." from Nicole would have gone a long way to resolving this.

It's funny, but words are really powerful. Simply using the right words can create gain or loss in your life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #119  
Glitter Guru

I don't think that just saying "Buyer Beware" is enough. There is no privacy agreement with customer service communication, unless it is explicitly stated. And I certainly don't think that the OP should be chastised for sharing the email. Wow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
It's funny, but words are really powerful. Simply using the right words can create gain or loss in your life.
So very, very true! I have a book, The Wisdom of Florence Scovill Shinn, that is a compilation of several of her books. They were written between 1928 and 1945, and one of them is The Power of the Spoken Word and another is Your Word is Your Wand. Ms. Shinn was adamant that we attract everything into our lives - good or ill - by the words we choose.

There's a line in an old INXS song (yes, I'm getting up there) that states "words are weapons sharper than knives", and that's true, too...

And a poem I love:

Boys flying kites haul in their white-winged birds;
It's not that way when you're flying words.
"Careful with fire" is good advice, we know
"Careful with words" is ten times doubly so.
Thoughts unexpressed may sometimes fall back dead;
But God Himself can't kill them once they're said.
~ Will Carlton

Reply With Quote Likes