Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #41  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
Makes total sense Gina but I'm still stumped. I even went through my history for the past few days to see if I visited anything remotely relevant (e.g. holiday even though I knew I didn't) and there's nothing there other than the usual Facebook, Pinterest, stamping blogs. I did check out some technical websites re: wordpress and blogger, but that's it (oh and TMZ). I'm in Australia though so maybe it picked an ad that they thought was on my side of the world. Very weird.
That is weird but I wouldn't doubt that it was something totally innocent. You should have seen the ads I got when my husband and I were researching hot tubs! We never got one but we did get an education! LOL!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
That is weird but I wouldn't doubt that it was something totally innocent. You should have seen the ads I got when my husband and I were researching hot tubs! We never got one but we did get an education! LOL!
:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #43  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I just wanted to add that I embrace some of the blog closures. Some crafters that did amazing work were so competitive and enthusiatic over every little release put me off. I think what we are seeing is that level of competitiveness can not be sustained and people are taking a step back and reassessing their commitments. More than likely blogs that will survive are those doing it for love and that use it as an outlet to share.
Brilliant!! I could not have said it better my friend

I do not think that stamping is at its zenith nor do I think that blogging is out. I've been stamping for over 20 years, and it has grown way past what I ever thought it would be. Don't y'all think the economy has a lot to do with some of the changes we've seen?

I agree with others that people get burnt out. I'm mostly a hobby demo, and I would like to earn money, but I am not a competitive person and I can see where the whole selling and trying to advance and win trips would be stressful for some people. As would blogging every day.

People grow and change and move on to other pursuits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

:lol:

Janny I'm a bit obsessed now with your blog :lol: I just went in and refreshed 10 times and the ad I keep getting now is Groupon Restaurant Vouchers. Then I went to TMZ to check out the Hollywood Gossip (slow news day today by the way) and back to your blog but I'm still getting the Restaurant Vouchers ad.
Well, this is one way to get lots of hits on my blog. :lol::lol::lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Well, this is one way to get lots of hits on my blog. :lol::lol::lol:
LOL Okay, out of curiosity I went to your blog too. At first I didn't see any ads at all, and then realized that was 'cause I was using Firefox. So I went there again with Internet Explorer and got an ad for Restaurant.com. I do order pizzas online.

I guessed that I might as well take a look at your cards while I was there too.

Lovely cards!!! Fascinating first art journal entry!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Back in the early 90's, I took up Decorative painting (or tole painting as I believe it is known in the USA - I'm an Aussie) and at one stage, I could never imagine myself doing anything else but paint. Yet, I did move on because I became stale and tried new crafts like teddy bear making, embroidery and then cardmaking because it is good to become stimulated by something new. Doing the same craft forever to me would be like going to the same holiday destination every year for the rest of my life; I would get so tired of it and the thought of packing for a holiday I don't want to go to would become tedious

I too have noticed quite a few bloggers that I follow are signing off to do other things. People move on - people get stale - bloggers get tired of being on the same DT - family and circumstances change - people lose their job and have no income and often bloggers don't necessarily want to share the really private stuff so we are sometimes left wondering why they have stopped. Yet I totally respect their privacy and people need their dignity too esp. when it comes to a sudden job loss or a relationship breakdown. It is sad when our fav bloggers move on, but there are always new blogs to come across - and I love discovering new blogs to get fresh ideas

I still love cardmaking - yet have been doing alot of crochet and knitting because my circumstances have changed and are a full-time carer for a very sick family member so cardmaking isn't practical for me right now: knitting and crochet is portable and easy to pick up and put down at a moments notice. I am blogging occasionally with the odd card that I make because of this - and my readers know I am caring for sick family member - yet my blog has not become a sickness journal as I am too much of a private person to want everyone knowing about my personal life. My blog is my escape and is just for the fun of sharing my cardmaking and occasionally other craft.

I used to be on a DT for about 2 years but got very stale and burnt out and felt constricted in my artistic freedom and wouldn't choose to be on one again - and almost stopped blogging because I would sit at my desk and nothing seemed to work and it frustrated and annoyed me. Then I re-discovered my excitement again - yet I am sure that for others, well, it's just over and they have broken up with their blog :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I just wanted to add that I embrace some of the blog closures. Some crafters that did amazing work were so competitive and enthusiatic over every little release put me off. I think what we are seeing is that level of competitiveness can not be sustained and people are taking a step back and reassessing their commitments. More than likely blogs that will survive are those doing it for love and that use it as an outlet to share.
Do you mean the ones that start off their blog post like this "OMG! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVAH!!!!!!! ! Yes, I know those blogs too, lol. I am thinking to myself as I read "The author is forty-five not fifteen."

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Honestly? Not blogging or crafting because of CRICUT DRAMA? Holy mother! If I stopped because of what goes on at that chat site I would have stopped a week after I started :p :lol:
Mel, that is so funny. I busted up laughing. I can't do that site anymore. I really do have a meltdown. That's not me at all. I am happy go luck and laid back. I do know several Cricut bloggers have taken down their blogs or stopped blogging due to all the Cricut drama.

Quote:

:lol:no. I'm the only one who uses this laptop and mostly it's used for my stamping business, so it's Splitcoast, Stampin' Up!, Pinterest, Facebook - that sort of thing. Worst thing I look at is TMZ for a bit of Hollywood gossip.

Odd.
TMZ? No, no, no! No TMZ! You have to do Dlisted and Cele*itchy. There is a b where the asterisk is. Stay away from Lainey's gossip site. She is a put on. Dlisted- Tina Fey is a devout reader.

TMZ- definitely gets all the breaking news first. I heard the Harry news five minutes after they uploaded the pictures.

Now, we all know what blogs I spend most of my time on, ROFL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #48  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
LOL Okay, out of curiosity I went to your blog too. At first I didn't see any ads at all, and then realized that was 'cause I was using Firefox. So I went there again with Internet Explorer and got an ad for Restaurant.com. I do order pizzas online.

I guessed that I might as well take a look at your cards while I was there too.

Lovely cards!!! Fascinating first art journal entry!!
Why, thank you! It's nice to see that someone was looking at something else on my blog besides only the ads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to the blog-reading game, and I've seen several blogs I like end. I mostly follow budget fashion, stamping, and home decorating blogs.

It seems to me that almost all bloggers experience fatigue at some point. Even some of my favorite bloggers that are still active and popular have posted that they are "not feeling it" any more. I've never blogged, but it does seem like there's a lot of time and preparation involved. Some bloggers clearly have a plan and have mapped out their content well in advance. Others seem a little more haphazard, but that's ok.

A few have gone to videos instead of written blogs, which I hate. I wonder if this is done to save time. I remember one of my favorite fashion bloggers switching to videos. Her videos were 8-10 minutes or longer, when I used to need just a few minutes a day to read her new posts. I stopped following her blog entirely.

Most of these videos don't seem as well planned as the written posts, and that's why they take so much longer - the blogger just rambles through her thoughts instead of editing them like with the written word. This is why I'm sure the videos are used - they take less time to put together.

Now, a well done tutorial is a whole different matter.

In the end, I understand why people end their blogs. Doesn't make me any less sad when one of my favorites ends, however.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
A few have gone to videos instead of written blogs, which I hate. I wonder if this is done to save time. I remember one of my favorite fashion bloggers switching to videos. Her videos were 8-10 minutes or longer, when I used to need just a few minutes a day to read her new posts. I stopped following her blog entirely.
Intriguing!! I don't follow blogs, but I DO subscribe to ONE Youtube uploader! It seems like making videos is her hobby like making cards is mine! (her videos are not about card-making - it just little bits of funny stuff). I almost never look at crafting-related videos... though I could start!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I just think of how long it takes me to upload even a short video! Anybody doing it regularly must have much better upload speeds than I do. I like reading, I am sure I would not like a video blog. And I see more people in the galleries here linking to a youtube video rather than a blog post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #52  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I just think of how long it takes me to upload even a short video! Anybody doing it regularly must have much better upload speeds than I do. I like reading, I am sure I would not like a video blog. And I see more people in the galleries here linking to a youtube video rather than a blog post.
I don't like video tutorials near as well as print tutorials. for one thing we have slower internet (supposed to be DSL) but I always have to wait for the video to stream! Also, if I don't get a step then I have to rewind and that's a pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #53  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I don't like video tutorials near as well as print tutorials. for one thing we have slower internet (supposed to be DSL) but I always have to wait for the video to stream! Also, if I don't get a step then I have to rewind and that's a pain.
I love video tutorials. I don't mind rewinding at all because sometimes I just don't get it with the printed tutorials. Like this weeks SCS tutorial...I have read and re-read the directions and I still have an awful time getting the folds where they should be. Video is much better for me, although this week I gave up....my brain just isn't working on this one. I tried three and that was enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I have become addicted to YouTube crafting and art videos. I know how hard it is too put up a video. Hats off to all who do. I agree about the rambling. I was watching a video the other day and this woman coughed all the way through her video and then went on with a really long story about something that happened to her in Michael's. By the end of the video she never discussed her video topic at all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #55  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think some are just busy with getting kids in school right now or have had to go back to work for personal reasons, it can be alot of work. I try to do scheduled post so I only have to really do it maybe one or two days a month but post a whole month at a time, short and sweet is how I post too. No I don't receive alot of comments either but it still is one way I can share what I create!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #56  
Watercolor Wizard

Many are just getting burnt out. I get the same way if I am working with DT teams, you have to get things done in a certain amount of time and not only on your blog but in other places too. I quit blogging for 4 months awhile back after finishing as a DT member. Now I have no obligations and it is fun again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

For me personally, trying to squeeze in a "great" project, blog about it and be involved in every day life just got too much. I was trying to blog at least a couple of times a week. Then at least once a week. I then decided that I'm blogging to share WHEN I CAN. No forced obligation. Yes, I will lose followers (not that I have that many anyways). Yes, my comments will go down. BUT! I can enjoy the creating and blogging again, for the JOY of it, not the perceived obligation
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

I think there are a lot of reasons for people to give up Blogging including those already mentioned. Three of the blogs I followed stopped .

On one of them the woman's husband was retiring and they wanted to travel, so she would not have time to devote to a Blog.

Another was downsizing and no longer wanted stamping to take so much time and space in their new home .

A third one was just burnt out and wanted to pursue other creative hobbies without the constant pressures of making things several times a week to post on a Blog .

My daughter's daughter-in- law had done stamping for several years and even was an SU demo for a while. Her husband started objecting to all of her free time and money going toward stamping and buying supplies. She decided quality time with her husband was far more important than her stamping hobby so she cut way back. Now she and her husband have developed some hobbies they can enjoy together.

I am sure there are people here on SCS that have cut back on their stamping for various reasons. It is not as obvious if they don't have a Blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm one of the bloggers that Barbara Jay mentioned above (waving hello!). I am the downsizer.

I gave up my former blog for a lot of reasons -- mainly the pressing need to step back and just reevaluate my life, including he amount of $$ and time stamping was taking. I've learned in the months that my supplies have been packed away that I miss stamping and will go back to it, but at a much smaller scale.

There are a few bloggers whose work really delights me, but not as much as before. I think my taste has changed, or maybe everything just looks alike...not sure.

I also agree that the amount of blogs, FB, etc. has taken away from the SCS community feeling.

interesting thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I think I'm one of the bloggers that Barbara Jay mentioned above (waving hello!). I am the downsizer.

I gave up my former blog for a lot of reasons -- mainly the pressing need to step back and just reevaluate my life, including he amount of $$ and time stamping was taking. I've learned in the months that my supplies have been packed away that I miss stamping and will go back to it, but at a much smaller scale.

There are a few bloggers whose work really delights me, but not as much as before. I think my taste has changed, or maybe everything just looks alike...not sure.

I also agree that the amount of blogs, FB, etc. has taken away from the SCS community feeling.

interesting thread!
Joan....I love your new blog. It has given me a lot to think about, despite me being in a bit of a different phase (of life) than you are. I was discussing some of your blog entries with my neighbor the other day, as she has recently left her job and is going through her house with a fine tooth comb, purging/donating/tossing/etc. I almost find myself saying "What Would Joan Do?" when deciding about something in my home...LOL! Sorry for the hijack. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #61  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

, I reckoned that Joan's blog was one of the ones Barbara Jay mentioned. I miss your stamping, Joan - I'm glad you'll be going back to it. In the meantime I'm enjoying your White Spaces, although it's not applicable to my lifestyle. I guess I just like your writing style as well as your cards ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

interesting thread!
Hi Joan Yes you are the downsizer I mentioned LOL
And I fully understand and share your reasons !

I think many of us are going through the same thought process regarding how much time, space and money we want to devote to this hobby. I also will continue to make cards I just don't want it to overwhelm my life in time, storage of supplies or money .

Some Bloggers are disappointed they don't have more followers, but there are so many blogs a person could spend from morning until night and never see most of them. I gave up release parties and Blog hops for the same reason . I don't have the time nor desire to spend all day at this.

It has become so fractured. If a person wants to keep up they need to visit literally hundreds of Blogs, SCS and numerous other forums; Facebook; Pinterest; all the Blog Hops and a mail box full of newsletters . It is all too much.
It was more managable when most information, tips, techniques and cards were here at SCS.

I agree things are all starting to look alike and not just the layouts. I know of 4 companies that have cloud and fence dies LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Hi Joan Yes you are the downsizer I mentioned LOL
And I fully understand and share your reasons !

I think many of us are going through the same thought process regarding how much time, space and money we want to devote to this hobby. I also will continue to make cards I just don't want it to overwhelm my life in time, storage of supplies or money .

Some Bloggers are disappointed they don't have more followers, but there are so many blogs a person could spend from morning until night and never see most of them. I gave up release parties and Blog hops for the same reason . I don't have the time nor desire to spend all day at this.

It has become so fractured. If a person wants to keep up they need to visit literally hundreds of Blogs, SCS and numerous other forums; Facebook; Pinterest; all the Blog Hops and a mail box full of newsletters . It is all too much.
It was more managable when most information, tips, techniques and cards were here at SCS.

I agree things are all starting to look alike and not just the layouts. I know of 4 companies that have cloud and fence dies LOL
What she said. ;) Thank you, Barbara, for putting it into words so eloquently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara, I agree with your sentiments also. But it is ok with me -- I'm sure I miss 99.9999% of everything stamped on the net, but visiting my favorite stamping blogs (as well as bunch of non stamping) blogs is still fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't totally give up on all Blogs I had to whittle them down to 4. It was hard to choose, but I had to do it. I am sure there are other great Blogs out there, but 3 or 4 is all I have time to really look at and comment. I also enjoy looking at sites with non card related information. IF I get bored with one of the Blogs I visit then I will replace it with another, but not add another.
I am working on the "one thing in one thing out" rule
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Do you mean the ones that start off their blog post like this "OMG! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVAH!!!!!!! ! Yes, I know those blogs too, lol. I am thinking to myself as I read "The author is forty-five not fifteen."

Mel, that is so funny. I busted up laughing. I can't do that site anymore. I really do have a meltdown. That's not me at all. I am happy go luck and laid back. I do know several Cricut bloggers have taken down their blogs or stopped blogging due to all the Cricut drama.

TMZ? No, no, no! No TMZ! You have to do Dlisted and Cele*itchy. There is a b where the asterisk is. Stay away from Lainey's gossip site. She is a put on. Dlisted- Tina Fey is a devout reader.

TMZ- definitely gets all the breaking news first. I heard the Harry news five minutes after they uploaded the pictures.

Now, we all know what blogs I spend most of my time on, ROFL!
:lol: Thanks!!! I do remember seeing Dlisted a while ago but didn't bookmark it - will also check out the other one. You know, it was probably those photos of Harry in Vegas that got me the weird ads :lol:

Sorry for the hijack of the thread! Back to regular programming now ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #68  
Inking Addict

I have a craft blog and sadly don't post much to it. I have a blog for my marathon training and I post to that almost daily. Its hard to keep up with two.

My other problem is most of my crafting is done at night and it makes taking pictures hard. I have loads of projects that I never uploaded because I just don't get a good picture.

I do plan on working on it once I get my craft room re-organized. I currently have no desk or workspace at all. Its all on the floor

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

I am on 2 design teams, so that is one of the reasons I keep my blogs going.
I have a digi and rubber stamp blog, and am considering combining the 2.
I don't think I would ever give up my blog because I enjoy card making so much! I do go through "not so creative" spells, and don't post much during that time.

My major blog pet peave is music!!!!argh!!!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #70  

I'm enjoying my blog so much more now that I post when i feel like it. I use it more as a record of my projects than anything else. No recipes for how I made stuff. Just pictures. i may do the occasional tutorial for a sewing project. I lost quite a few readers but I'm ok with that. I'll just share to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
I have a blog and have been posting for over 4 years, the comments have gotten down a bit but I do still get a lot of views to it, I dont mind, I do it for fun
Exactly how I feel too! I blog for ME and when it is no longer fun, I will stop doing it. I really notice that comments on blogs in general are way down, but I've never gotten all that many comments on my blog over the years. I just passed 800,000 visitors and get maybe 1-2 comments on a blog post if I am lucky. Sometimes NO comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think summer is always a little slower on most blogs. I don't think people are blogging as much right now, but I bet that many of those blogs start picking back up in September or so. I remember seeing somewhere that people on average switch hobbies every so many years (maybe 5 years? I forget the number!) so it makes sense that folks would stop crafty blogging and move onto a different hobby.

I definitely took a break this summer because I was getting a little burned out on blogging now that my room is drastically different. We moved a couple months ago and now my crafty space is horribly set up (imagine having ONE OUTLET!!!) & at least half of my supplies are in storage. It's made my crafting much more difficult so I just haven't been doing it as much. I used to blog & craft daily, but now I blog maybe 3 times a week.

I will definitely pick back up once the hubby is finished with school, gets his first job, and I get my craft room back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbe492View Post
Well, I've started blogging more than ever!!! I must be on the opposite side of this trend.
I just checked out your blog and your videos are great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #74  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

* cringe *

I have my favorite products and companies, of course, but hopefully the unique way I use them is what sells them, not me going all fangirl over them! That is a subject for a whole 'nother thread....

I've cut back quite a bit on my stamping 'requirements' over the last year so that I have time and blog space to really enjoy stamping and use the stamps I want on my own timeline. I try to blog 3-4 times a week, and that works for me... I really do enjoy blogging, and it's a good outlet for me. There was a time a few years ago that I overcommitted myself and was blogging daily - that was not fun.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I typically avoid blogs with forced, cheesy music, blogs that haven't been updated in months, and the really active ones that are just pimping products. One of my favorites started as a peek into her busy family life with scrapbook pages and a card thrown in there once in a while. Then she got sponsors and now every post is a desperate plea for comments about the products she is using or filled with links to that sponsor. She hasn't said a word about herself or her family in months. Done with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #76  

I stopped following one of the big SU demos because she spends more time trying to sell than sharing anything, and her style has changed lately. I'm a new demo, so It was good for me to see and realize that the selling part... you know - posting the product pictures and ordering info is not fun to read. I did it a couple times, and now I think I'm not going to do it any more unless it's something special or that I think is helpful. Does that make sense?

For example, a couple months ago I bought this stamp and scrub gizmo at Hobby Lobby for 6.00 with a coupon. I was soooo proud of myself cause the SU one is 16 dollars. Well, I soon discovered that was not such a good purchase. The thing was really small, and those fiber thingys are not very dense either. I used my friend's SU scrubby thingy at her house and wow! It's much larger, has a wet and dry side plus the fibers are much thicker. I felt like I really threw my money out the window in an effort to save money. I wanted to share that with readers so they wouldn't waste their money on this same purchase.

hmmm maybe it came off selling more than I intended. I have to think on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

This is such an interesting discussion. Lots of great thoughts and ideas. I liked one of the earlier posters (riveriris maybe?) who said to measure success you have to know what your purpose is. THAT is key.

When I first started blogging, I was a SU demo and I wanted to get info out to my customers. Then, I really wasn't doing much but crafting and I used my blog to share my creativity. Eventually, I decided to make my crafting hobby a career and that's when I started to get serious about blogging. I had to consider my blog as a newsletter, an advertisement, a resume, and a community meeting place. I used my blog to post for DT assignments and hops, that lead to more DT assignments and hops. That lead to me teaching... on line... and using my blog as a way to promote and advertise my classes and share sample of my work. That lead to being hired by a company in the industry to teach for them... which has lead to being published as both a designer and a writer. Things have continued to build and I do think that blogging consistently was key. It was a way to "get my name out there" and to share my work and to promote what I was doing. Do I get paid for blogging? Nope... not a dime... and it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. BUT... I see it as a business expense now. It's like paying for advertising in a sense.

I do understand why people might take a break from it. It's tough! And the more successful blogger I became the busier I became working in the industry and the less time I had to post! LOL It's a vicious cycle! (I think I need to hire a ghost writer for my blog so I have more time to create!)

Don't get me wrong... my blog is not all about "business" ... I still use it to share new and unique things and post cool projects (sometimes!) and post tutorials and video tutorials... all of which I do NOT because I make anything from them, but because I love to share!

So... for me, blogging has been successful, but it's a lot of hard work. I can see why some people may not want to put that much time into it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

* cringe *

I have my favorite products and companies, of course, but hopefully the unique way I use them is what sells them, not me going all fangirl over them! That is a subject for a whole 'nother thread....

I've cut back quite a bit on my stamping 'requirements' over the last year so that I have time and blog space to really enjoy stamping and use the stamps I want on my own timeline. I try to blog 3-4 times a week, and that works for me... I really do enjoy blogging, and it's a good outlet for me. There was a time a few years ago that I overcommitted myself and was blogging daily - that was not fun.
Dini - you are NOT a gushy gal or a forced fan... I know that when you post about something.. you post because you genuinely love it. And you wouldn't even have to say a word... your work speaks volumes!

LOVE your blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
Dini - you are NOT a gushy gal or a forced fan... I know that when you post about something.. you post because you genuinely love it. And you wouldn't even have to say a word... your work speaks volumes!

LOVE your blog!
aWw.... you just made my day! Thank you, sweetie head!

I've often wondered about bloggers who represent companies whose every release is bigger and better than any before it... when do they find the time to go back and revisit older sets that might have been favorites? and where do they put all that stuff?

For the companies that perpetuate that schedule, is enough ever enough?

I have been on a team that did huge monthly releases - the team requirements were very high and the compensation was product and a discount - there were times I was required to receive and promote product that I didn't 'love' or wouldn't have bought myself, and it just became a disillusioning chore. Some companies have stringent requirements on where and when and how often their DT members must post... I'm not really fond of that either.

I agree with Colleen too in blogging being a catalyst to the building of a career or even just building a relationship with a company or finding a place in the industry - and there are so many facets to that. And of course, not everyone is blogging with a career in mind, and not every blog will lead to career changes... but having a goal and principles in mind from the get-go is a very good thing.

Maybe we've shifted from the original topic a bit, but what an interesting discussion!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

JUST WANDERING AROUND HERE AT SCS and found this thread. Very good info from you all and will use your thoughts as I have just recently re-jumped into the blogging world.
Thank You much, Pam
www.stampndstretch.com
Reply With Quote Likes