Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big watermarks are annoying. On the other hand, this problem is just another reason some don't want galleries on public sites.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

again............. you can visit my gallery as I do not have watermarks (except for the skunk)... go now! Visit me! Make Comments!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCDA
I'm an offender as you call us, and I'm not going to change a thing!

I recently removed my personal website from the internet - I am a professional painter, teacher and published designer in real life - and due to the rampant stealing of my pictures which ppl then undertook to copy and market as their own original paintings!!! I had no choice but to do so until I can watermark, java script and employ whatever other security feature I can use to protect my intellectual property from theft and subsequent loss of income. I may never return to a full internet presence because of the crushing hurt of knowing how badly I have been disrespected and taken advantage of by faceless humans who don't care who they hurt to get what they want.

I also do graphic design and web design and my watermark is top quality, professionally created, perfectly balanced and exactly what a true watermark is supposed to look like. I created it for my real business and use it also to mark my cards on SCS - at this time I don't think I really care if ppl case or use my pics, someday I may decide to turn my hobby into an income (I'm not making much as a painter when the "sharing" is as rampant as it is right now!)

That it irritates you or others doesn't even come into my realm of thought. I could make another that is more card friendly , I could make it smaller, I could move it into a corner but ...
once bitten - twice shy!

J
hey, we are practically neighbours, I live in Dorchester....

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #44  
Watercolor Wizard

Jeane S,

I just read...

"Practice Safe Posting!!!
Watermarks: They're like a condom for your card.

LOL..... I need a screen guard now... rofl.... I was the middle of taking a drink when I read your byline..... *****spewing my lemon slush**** and choking as I laughed....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #45  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene Bridges
Jeane S,

I just read...

LOL..... I need a screen guard now... rofl.... I was the middle of taking a drink when I read your byline..... *****spewing my lemon slush**** and choking as I laughed....
sorry ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
ha ha I don't have one because A) no one steals my stuff and B) I don' t know how to make one.

But if I was one of the really great artists I would do whatever it takes to protect my work. Stealing is bad and it puts bad karma out there!
First Jailbird, your work is awesome...

Second, I thought the same thing, why watermark? Well I have since found other Angels with my cards on their websites. I have seen my work in the strangest places. I need to get me a watermark...you should too. Don't get me wrong, I would let anyone use my art if they find it worthy, just let me know and give me proper credit. I often share workshop/class materials and designs. Just let me know and give me credit! I guess I already said that...

J
Wanna design a watermark for me? ;)wink Your watermark is great and that black iris card rocks! I used to have a black iris in my garden, but the boarers got it. I would love to have a new one! One day. I love my garden almost as much as my stamps.

Inky Hugs
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I recently removed my personal website from the internet - I am a professional painter, teacher and published designer in real life - and due to the rampant stealing of my pictures which ppl then undertook to copy and market as their own original paintings!!! I had no choice but to do so until I can watermark, java script and employ whatever other security feature I can use to protect my intellectual property from theft and subsequent loss of income. I may never return to a full internet presence because of the crushing hurt of knowing how badly I have been disrespected and taken advantage of by faceless humans who don't care who they hurt to get what they want.

I also do graphic design and web design and my watermark is top quality, professionally created, perfectly balanced and exactly what a true watermark is supposed to look like. I created it for my real business and use it also to mark my cards on SCS - at this time I don't think I really care if ppl case or use my pics, someday I may decide to turn my hobby into an income (I'm not making much as a painter when the "sharing" is as rampant as it is right now!)

That it irritates you or others doesn't even come into my realm of thought. I could make another that is more card friendly , I could make it smaller, I could move it into a corner but ...
once bitten - twice shy!

J
I think your watermark is great. When my cards get better I'll need to learn how to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene Bridges
Jeane S,

I just read...

You mean like this?

Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #49  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
You mean like this?

Gina K.
zactly like that ;) - Jeanne needs to have a spew warning before you see her PSA :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Huge watermarks don't bother me. Sometimes I think it is part of the design, but when I look closely I get it. But, it doesn't bother me if it bothers you. Good grief, I'm back in the '60's, where everything was groovy!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #51  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risa
First Jailbird, your work is awesome...

Inky Hugs
Risa
awwwww shucks you made me blush! thanks!!!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

I skimmed through most of this thread pretty quickly and I apologize if I'm repeating something already stated.

The semi-transparent, traditional watermarks that have been suggested can easily be removed with Photoshop. It's sad that sharing our cards and creations has come to this, but . . . well, what can I say.

And as a victim of image theft - a photograph for sell that does produce income, not a card posted here - it does not feel good.

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 03:49 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if someone is intensely concerned about image theft even with a small watermark, maybe they shouldn't post on the web. That's really the only way to be completely safe. It stinks that it's come to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 AM   #54  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
I think if someone is intensely concerned about image theft even with a small watermark, maybe they shouldn't post on the web. That's really the only way to be completely safe. It stinks that it's come to that.
I think that maybe those that have an issue with watermarks with just have to deal. Those of us that use them due to image theft are allowing youa glimpse at the cards we have made and if we do as you suggest, no longer post cards, think of the impact on the SCS gallery...a lot of the DD girls use watermarks due to image theft, those worthy of DD usually do to...and to be honest I don't mind because it is their right to alter the card in anyway so it isn't stolen and it is our privledge to look....if it bothers you then just don't look at those....sorry to be snarky.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:32 AM   #55  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

once bitten - twice shy!

J
I love your watermark, its professional and cute too plus it doesnt take away th e image of the card, if others dont like it oh well, its your card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
Hmmm....I just scrolled through at least 4 pages in the gallery and didn't see anything like what you guys are talking about. :confused:

The bottom line is, the card is the artist's creation, she can do with it whatever she chooses. If she wants to put a big black mark in the middle of it, it's her prerogative.
Very good point Kathryn. It's a shame it's come to this, but so be it. If a watermark bothers someone that much, move on to another's gallery.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdetloff
I think that maybe those that have an issue with watermarks with just have to deal. Those of us that use them due to image theft are allowing youa glimpse at the cards we have made and if we do as you suggest, no longer post cards, think of the impact on the SCS gallery...a lot of the DD girls use watermarks due to image theft, those worthy of DD usually do to...and to be honest I don't mind because it is their right to alter the card in anyway so it isn't stolen and it is our privledge to look....if it bothers you then just don't look at those....sorry to be snarky.
The issue is NOT about not using a watermark. (Sorry for the double negative.) If you go look at the DD gallery you will see watermarks used in such a way as to (1) be unobtrusive, and (2) still effective. A person doesn't have to mar their photo to be safe. That's all I was saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 AM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risa
Second, I thought the same thing, why watermark? Well I have since found other Angels with my cards on their websites. I have seen my work in the strangest places. I need to get me a watermark...you should too. Don't get me wrong, I would let anyone use my art if they find it worthy, just let me know and give me proper credit. I often share workshop/class materials and designs. Just let me know and give me credit! I guess I already said that...Inky Hugs
Risa
Risa...your work is awesome and you have been very generous about being will to share. I find it amazing!! I personally think that a nice watermark really adds an aura of professionalism to the whole presentation.

I saw in Dini's blog that she makes them to order and emails them to you...and it seemed super reasonable... http://mamadinis.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #59  
Gabfest Goddess

She's just talking about some watermarks that really do obscure the card. The "nice" watermarks are fine. But when they do get in the way so much it's kind of defeating the purpose of seeing the card. So the answer isn't removing the watermark, or deleting the card, but it is finding a watermark that works.

PLUS, we all know that anyone good with graphic design programs CAN remove ANY watermark, it's just that most people aren't that advanced. I am a professional writer and have worked with many very talented graphic designers, and was AMAZED at what they could do (and sometimes frightened, to be honest). You've seen what they do to celebs in magazines. Heck, they took 20 pounds off of Katie Couric!

Just my 2 cents.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #60  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: In my Happy Place with no one bothering me....I hope!

Quote:

That would be just really sad!:(
No cards from my fave designers......or a watermark that may (usually not) "obstruct" my view a bit. I think I'll deal with the watermark! Keep on posting 'em girls!!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:56 AM   #61  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

The issue is NOT about not using a watermark. (Sorry for the double negative.) If you go look at the DD gallery you will see watermarks used in such a way as to (1) be unobtrusive, and (2) still effective. A person doesn't have to mar their photo to be safe. That's all I was saying.
I know what you mean.......I, for one, try to put my watermark where it will not be covering the view and make it small. But I do understand why others make it larger and "front and center". Maybe if I had any of my pictures "stolen" or used without my consent I would feel completely different. I have no problem with anyone doing what they feel they need to do to protect themselves and their creations...........that is unless they stop posting them. Then I would!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #62  
Gabfest Goddess

Ok, I have been reading this thread and I do understand the issue with the watermark ( I think they're cool) My question is this - what constitutes theft?
I have seen many cards "case'd" on this site and I myself, love the inspiration the galleries offer...I simply enjoy looking at others creativity.
Keep on posting em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:16 AM   #63  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrymstamper
Ok, I have been reading this thread and I do understand the issue with the watermark ( I think they're cool) My question is this - what constitutes theft?
I have seen many cards "case'd" on this site and I myself, love the inspiration the galleries offer...I simply enjoy looking at others creativity.
Keep on posting em!
I know a few gals whose pictures have ended up on other people's websites. They were never contacted, asked, or given proper credit for the designs. These were NOT "case'd"...they were the original pictures.....some even had the watermarks cropped off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:33 AM   #64  
Gabfest Goddess

thanks for the clarification!
What a rotten thing to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #65  
Gabfest Goddess

It might be horrible if people pulled their creations just to be safe, but the only way to be totally safe IS to not put them online. Of course I don't want anyone to do that, either. I LOVE looking at galleries. BUT that's just a fact. If you really want or need to keep your creations' images safe, for whatever reason, I think you just can't risk the perils of cyberspace.

The real answer here is for people to just ASK if they can use your images. Most of us would say yes, provided we knew the details and it was a decent site.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes