Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Way to Sell a Large Lot of SU Wood Mounted Stamps

Greetings! I am looking for some advice, please.

Due to poor heath, I have been unable to do much crafting in the past 10 years, and my rubber stamp collection has sat largely unused. We’re decluttering in hopes to sell our home for something more manageable for me with my health. So, my rubber stamp collection has to go. I sold half of it about 5 years ago. I donated them to a friend who was going through a rough patch, and she sold them on Facebook as a large lot for next to nothing. When I heard how cheap, my stomach sank. Think less than 10% of what I paid for it all, and maybe that is what it is, I don’t know. When I google a stamp set name and see it being sold, people are asking $10-$20 for the one set. That doesn’t seem realistic to expect that amount per each, especially if I sell as one big lot, but the more I can get the better since we have some expenses to deal with.

Anyway, I would like to sell these 70-ish remaining sets fast and get the most I can for them. I would like to sell them as one big lot, as I don’t have the energy to deal with one-at-a-time sales for a few dollars each. So, my questions to you all are:

-What would be a good price to ask for a lot of 70+ SU wood mounted stamps. (9 unmounted, 70 used. 4 of the used sets are not complete, and 6 of the large background stamps have no box)

-Where is the best place to advertise? Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, eBay?

I think with eBay, shipping costs will be astronomical. Plus, I’ve known people to have a lot of trouble with people lying, saying they didn’t get the items and demanding a refund, then the seller is out the item and the money, so I’m nervous about that. Craigslist has lots of scammers, and I don’t have Facebook, so would have get a friend to help me list it. (Yes, unfortunately I’m a person with lots of anxiety, which is why I want to get some advice before getting started.)

I think I would also like to include the ink pads and refills, I think I have 40.

I made a list of all the sets yesterday, and the more I handled them, the more I wanted to keep them! I told my husband maybe I should keep just the sentiment stamps (which I am still considering), but he asked me when was the last time I used one of them? He’s right, It’s been a long time.

Gosh, why is this so hard!?!

Thanks for reading this and for any advice you can offer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Oh, and I’ll say that getting the Splitcoast Stampers email newsletter does not make this decision easier. Ha! I love reading it and keep thinking that someday I will get back into stamping & crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

In addition to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here, Facebook has 2 groups that might be an option for you:

Stampin Up Buy Sell Trade
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1667816343335288

Stampin Up Wood Stamps Sales ONLY

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968826176475915https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968826176475915
If selling the inks and refills the the Buy Sell and Trade Facebook group would be the best one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

It is a bitter thing to realize we rarely will get back any kind of money on our stashes....unless you have collectibles. I hope you got use of them back when you were still stamping....

My experience with buying SU is that some sets maintain value or go up...while others just plummet. No way to know offhand how to maximize your sale....

Time consuming as it is....I would check on ebay for a fast down and dirty idea of pricing.

The broken sets normally I would say sell as individual stamps. I have bought them that way and happy for it. I rarely like whole sets.

The ones whose price has dropped I would put in a lot and maybe try to sell the better sets individually. However...it can be having a great set in a lot that will make the lot sell.

Maybe if there is a demo near you they might be willing to share your list with their downlist since the stamps are likely discontinued anyway.

Which ever way you sell online....you have to be ready to ship it. As a lot you cut the shipping costs with a flat rate box...or possibly UPS it is really big. Make sure you insure it. Or have a lot of small boxes or bubble wrap envelopes...

Do you have any weekly general auctions by you? They would take a piece but they might be able to sell a whole lot like that.

Do you do garage sales? Then you can just put the bunch of them into a crate and sell by the set and discount in batches.....ie....6 a set, 6 sets for 30 or whatever.

Is there an local stamp store near you? Maybe they would let people know since they dont sell SU...some might not. Still competition.

If you do Craigslist, have your husband go with you and meet in a public place and ask for cash only. Like a parking lot by a big store or something like that where there are a lot of people. I have heard some people meet in the parking lot of their police station LOL.

Last edited by wavejumper; 06-28-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Valeriesc (07-21-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm sorry to say but selling used stamps now is not what it was 10 years plus ago.

The past three years just trying to sell on the buy sell thread here was difficult. Some times the sale would so very smoothly and some times people would offer less than what I was trying to sell the stamps for because postage rates or back out of the sale all together. And in August postage rates are going up. People don't want to buy used stamps and pay double cost in postage.

Best bet would be try your local Facebook Garage sale page, or Craig's list and have someone go with you for a sell. I don't know if a lot sale is better or sell individually.

Actually the last garage sale I had last summer was the best one were I was able to get rid of over half of my stamping and crafting supplies ever. No one tried to ask for a lower price on my crafting stuff, just on my hubby's tools, lol

Good luck!

Oh if you used to or still do belong to a stamping group, I would invite those people over for a "special sale" might be worth a shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Teachybaby (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 04:41 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I did a garage sale with a friend of mine (we're Stampin Up demos) but listed it as a craft sale along with the signs. We priced things low to sell and it went really well. We did a Friday and Saturday. Friday was great, barely anyone came on Saturday. Good luck with whatever you do. I too need to empty a lot out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

This is what I would probably do:

1. Make a list of all the sets you have, indicate new or used, any missing, no box, etc.
2. Do a search on eBay in the Completed Listings to see what each of these has typically sold for --if it has sold. It seems some eBay sets you can't even give away.
3. Sell on either Facebook (they tend to go very quickly) or Ebay (often much slower process). Obviously, you can also sell here on SCS as well.
4. Individually sell the ones that have higher sale prices, making sure to indicate any missing, etc. Buyer pays the shipping. I have a no refund policy on eBay--these aren't electronic or mechanical and, unless the stamps are dried out, they should work just fine. Sell the ink pad and its refill together--indicate whether pad is wet or "juicy."
5. On Facebook, most groups require the use of PayPal. You should send them an invoice, including the shipping cost, and require they pay within 24 hours or the sale is cancelled. That saves you from waiting for days wondering if they're still interested.
6. Sell the remaining sets or items as "Lots" in amounts that will fit in a Padded Flat Rate envelope. Currently, the price for that is $8.55. Again, buyer pays shipping. Going through Paypal, you will also get a slight discount for shipping and there will be a tracking number. Using Paypal protects both you and the buyer.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Paper Junky; 06-30-2021 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Added add'l detail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, remember that through these selling 'mediums' the buyer pays shipping. A free way to transfer funds is to use the Venmo app. You set up your account with your bank information and people can pay you at no charge to either party from their bank account. You will receive notification of the receipt of funds and who paid you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2021, 04:45 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes buyer pays shipping. What some people do is they build the shipping into the price and then say "free shipping" but savvy buyers are looking at final costs so....

On the left hand side of ebay is valuable info.
Look at completed sales...that tells you both what sold and did not (vs what sold). What sold will be in green and you can see a history.

I forget the number of days now....it is either 30 or 90 days. Sold and completeds I *think* have different time frames?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Yes, remember that through these selling 'mediums' the buyer pays shipping. A free way to transfer funds is to use the Venmo app. You set up your account with your bank information and people can pay you at no charge to either party from their bank account. You will receive notification of the receipt of funds and who paid you.
From what I understand, though, about Venmo, is that it may be free, but it does not protect the buyer nor the seller. Just something to either look into beforehand or be aware of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2021, 01:52 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Send with tracking if you worry about someone lying that they received the package
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

As a fellow stamper, I hope you will keep several favorite stamp sets, one black ink pad, colored pencils or markers, paper cutter and some paper in a little tote to use in the future as you are able... many blessings to you for better health.
Reply With Quote Likes
Here and There (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannemlehrmanView Post
As a fellow stamper, I hope you will keep several favorite stamp sets, one black ink pad, colored pencils or markers, paper cutter and some paper in a little tote to use in the future as you are able... many blessings to you for better health.
Perfect idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2021, 04:36 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

A few years back, I purchased $100's of LARGE wooden stamp lots. (I think some wooden stamps are works of art themselves).
I loved receiving parcel after parcel.
After a while, I found that a lot of folks were dumping their Stamping up sets. Lot's were brand new. I figured, they were just trying out the hobby.
After having more than enough SU sets. I went for the older set's from the 1950s to make a nice display in my stamp room.
It was so fun. I paid pennies on the dollar.
My collection is up in the 1,000s. I can find each stamp. I use them in holiday displays and actually stamp with them a lot.
So, that's how a buyer feels. At least me. I had fun during this past year relooking and using some of the stamps.
Hope you figure out what to do. I never scammed anyone. Nobody scammed me. I fact I received many extra stamps and met some nice folks.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Mischelle1:
lynnewithane (07-03-2021), Na-Maw Nan (08-08-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Thanks, Everyone!

I still have my craft room, in fact my husband & daughter just put up a new Kallax 12-cubby in the closet (doors removed.) I was into almost every type of craft, so have a ton. Last month a friend came over and she & my daughter helped me purge. I brought an entire full car load (seats folded down) of craft supplies to a craft thrift store we have in our town. I still have tons, though I don’t really use much (my daughter does a lot of craft, though, so I’m keeping it for her, and maybe I’ll improve and be able to use the stuff again.) The stamps were brought downstairs, I wrote them all down, but holding each one in my hand made me want to keep it! Now they’re just in a big pile on the floor by the piano. I’m having trouble deciding what to do.

I did put aside to keep some of the sentiment stamps, and black, brown, gray, SU ink pads, and Stazon white & black, and the clear ink for embossing. Over the past few years, whenever we have made a card, it was just my daughter & her friends making cards with cardstock & decorative papers, no stamping. (She did a card ministry to send cards to the nursing homes.) I’d like to get a Cricut someday and just make cards using that and the sentiment stamps.

Mainly I just buy cards from the dollar store these days. 

Anyway, I know friends who have had lots of issues with selling things through the mail (mainly ebay & facebook.) I’ve seen the photos of empty ripped open packages from people demanding their money back, so it does happen, which is why I’m concerned. And heard the multiple stories of people from facebook not showing up, or bringing less money and trying to force people to sell for a lot less. I just don’t have much energy these days, and dealing with nonsense that like is stressful to me. I’ll probably have to do it though, if I want to get a few dollars. Maybe the stamping people will be more honest. I wish I was still in contact with some of the demonstrators from my group, but I don’t even remember most of their names; it’s been a very long time. (My upline is no longer around.)

Thanks for all the ideas & tips. Now to get moving on actually deciding to make the final decision. It will probably take me a month to decide to finally part with them. I’ve looked at them on my bookshelves in the craft room for so many years now.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
jeannemlehrman (07-12-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

It has been a long time since I did Buy/Sell on eBay, but I always has a good experience there and also on the BST boards here on Splitcoast. After purging my collection down to one room (LOL) I still visit rubber stamp shows and browse their retired SU bins, occasionally finding something to buy but mostly just traveling down Memory Lane. I found an animal rescue person who used donations to purchase items for garage sales, so I would accept any offer from her while I was purging - maybe that helps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making me drool

I’d loooovvveee to see them! I have a FedEx shipping account…[email protected]. I hope I’m allowed to give my email address. If not, please inform me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is some Facebook sites that are just for selling used craft supplies and products. You will need to set up a PayPal account and have all money transactions go through PayPal. If I didn't sell on one Facebook site in a week, I deleted and put it on another Facebook site. With the price of shipping increasing, it is better list several items with combine shipping. For the rest of the stuff that don't sell, donate to Goodwill, etc. We paid big bucks for this stuff but it won't sell for much. Garage sells is another way to get rid of stuff as well but again, some stuff sells well but the next day, you will have to knock the prices lower. Also, when shipping, you will need the post office tracking since most of your items will have to be in package anyway. I sold about $600 in one weekend but it was a lot of work and no fun through Facebook. Yep, you are dealing with the public and not everyone will be nice and want it free, some just crazy but just ignore them, don't argue with them and go to the next buyer.

Last edited by Nancy on Prairie; 07-21-2021 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can certainly sympathize with all of your feelings about selling crafting supplies. We do spend a lot of money on them and would like to recoup some of that back. Usually very few are willing to spend much for them too. I also definitely understand the issue you spoke of concerning customers saying they didn't receive the items. And it is a lot of work on your part. You would have to decide if the money is that important. I generally just give some of my items (only a few at a time) to other crafters I know or to thrift stores. With larger portions it is really hard! I have to agree with Nancy on Prairie comments.

You also made a comment about wanting a Cricut machine. If you are buying the Cricut for doing all of the other crafting stuff then I would agree. The vinyl is amazing!!! I have never done vinyl and never will. Vinyl seems to be the big item now. But it is an expense too and a lot of learning curves from what I see!! I have had a Cricut since 2009 and hardly use it. When I first got my Cricut that is when I started on cards. But as I started making them more I found that there were so many other things I could use to make better cards. I regretted getting it. Really purchased it for scrapbooking and never did any with it because I started doing cards. I wouldn't recommend it for just making cards. I don't know what other supplies you have besides stamps but there are a lot of products out there to make cards that I would much rather use.

I hope this helps you!!! I want to wish you the best in accomplishing your goal!

Last edited by Valeriesc; 07-21-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

A dedicated craft thrift store???? Omgoodness would I get in big trouble in there! Friends will call me if they see crafts in a regular thrift around here.

I too have had good buying experience on ebay for years with stamps though I have heard some bad stories and did once have a bad experience with a seller who decided to use the brand new stamp before shipping to me and stained the wood all black. I was Ped off. She thought it was fine bc the stamp still worked. I said I had been planning to give it as a gift and now I cant. But that was very rare.

Although now I have noticed many of my fav sellers are gone. People are still selling stamps though. And many SU sets are getting real money. Maybe you need to do a little homework with post it notes and check on the prices of 25 sets at a time. The more valuable ones you can look to sell someplace.

I had a very good experience selling here. Maybe you could consider that. Since so many people here are familiar with SU product, I have seen long lists of just the set names. (I have to go google for pictures) You could do 50 at a time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wooden Stamps

In regard to wooden stamps, the Stampin Up wooden sets and other wooden stamps are almost a give away. I see Stampin Up wooden stamps for around $.50 a set at garage sales and at thrift store but the demonstrators try to sell them at higher cost with no luck. Now a days, most people are wanting clear stamps that stick to stamp tools. Wooden stamps have to be peeled off of the wooden blocks for best stamping, Try selling them with several sets in one cheap price with buyer paying shipping if you are serious in getting rid of them on-line. Garage sells are good in certain areas but not in our rural area. Otherwise, they will be donations to Goodwill and the thrift stores. I gave a box of my wooden Stampin Up sets away since I was spending so much time selling them which wasn't worth my time for the little bit of money for my time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Na-Maw Nan (08-08-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Thank you all for your kind responses. Please forgive me for dropping off and not responding, I didn’t intend to be so rude and I’m sorry. Everything got very overwhelming for me, and actually still is. We finally got my daughter off to college, a 2 day drive away, and I’m now desperately trying to get my house decluttered so I can put it on the market and buy a house with a floor plan that will be better for me so I can function. I’ve gotten rid of so much of my craft supplies. I’m just now getting around to trying to sell the stamps, inks, ribbons, glitter, embossing powders, brads, eyelets, etc. I’m keeping all my tools, but purging consumables. Hopefully this weekend I’m going to have it all ready to go and I’m going to first try to sell the whole lot locally on nextdoor (I just joined that, still not wanting to get facebook.)

Thanks for the ideas and comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2021, 05:23 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Subbing
Reply With Quote Likes