Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best question for Newbies...

Ok, here is my question...

Since I'm new to stamping, I want to do EVERYTHING but I don't have much stuff and definatly can't afford to buy everything I want. (I'm paying for a wedding in July!) So what are the best basic things to have??? I'm waiting for an order that has a 12X12 album in it, so I'm going to be scrapbooking, but I also like making cards, am loving the idea of tiles, and want to do nameframes, chipboard stuff, etc. So for someone starting out, what should be on thier list of must haves??? Thanks so much ladies!!!!! I flippin LOVE SCS!!!!!!

Kari
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

For basic cardmakingI would get 1-2 stamp sets a black pad and a few of your favorite colors and a couple variety packs of paper in colors that match the ink As time goes on you can add colors. I would also get a stamping scrub and markers asap but it isn't needed for your first order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Black ink pad and whisper white card stock

My next step would be something to watercolor with pastels (chalk), addtional inks, watercolor pencils, or crayons, and blender pens. This will make what you do have very versatile and go with everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #4  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

Look at the color families. See which ones you like the best & buy the whole family in card stock. Don't forget about SU markers. You can load the color onto your stamp by just marking all over it with your marker. They are really cheap, last a long time if you store them right, and then when you can start buying the extra stuff you want, you will already know what colors are your favorite. And like everyone else said, whisper white card stock from SU can't be beat! Good luck & have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I started out getting some markers and ink pads (and of course, some paper). That is the real foundation that you need to build on. If you have ink, paper and a few versatile stamp sets you can make anything.

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion is to go slow. Your tastes are going to change -- every stamper goes through this. Try out a bunch of different styles and see where you land before you invest a ton in any one color group, brand, etc.

You will need a good black dye ink pad. SU's is not the best (sorry). It isn't a true black and isn't waterproof. I strongly suggest Staz On or my personal fave, Memories, but there are others out there as well.

I'd get some basic word stamps, a couple of nice backgrounds (SU's and Cornish Heritage Farms are the best, IMHO!!) 'cause they are nice and BIG, and a few sets or stamps that you like. I prefer the SU stamp sets because I'm a wood mounted fan, and think they are the best bargain in that category, but you might want to buy some unmounted, and some clear as you go just to see what YOU like.

The gingerwood bulletin board is also an awesome place for stampers. There's a link on my blog. Enjoy your stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think a Versamark ink pad as well as a classic black stamp pad would be the first stamp pads I would buy. For adding color, my first purchase would be a set of chalks. They are very versatile. I was amazed the first time I tried popping pastels. I couldn't live w/o cotton balls, q-tips, a blender pen, paper trimmer, and a good pair of scissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree with everyone, but as long as I have embossing powders I could do without the chalks. But be careful....it's an addiction in itself! Welcome and Happy Stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks guys! I hope this helps out other newbies!

Kari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Kari,
I would suggest starting out with a color family that you like the most (or best matches the current season or season that you are currently scrapbooking) and get the assorted cardstock, stampin' spots and a pack of blender pens. Then you'll have both ink and matching "markers" -- a little more affordable in the beginning. Of course, black ink and neutral cardstock (white, vanilla) is a must, too. If you'll primarily be scrapbooking 12x12, then that's the size of cardstock I would get. Then when you can afford it, get another color family of everything.

If scrapbooking is what you'll be doing most, then gear your stamp selections toward that. Most likely, they will work for cardmaking, too. For tiles, you'll need StazOn ink.

Once you see what ink colors you like using most, then you can expand into the larger pads. This is what I did and I haven't regretted it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Forgot to add that the stampin' spots will be more transportable with your scrapbooking, too! And you could also add a watercolor brush to your stash and that will give you some variety of choice for coloring besides the blender pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Markers all day long and twice on Sunday. You can color with them, but you can also color your stamps with them too. (You really don't even need ink pads if you have markers!) They're an investment, but WELL worth it.

I'd also strongly recommend a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, especially if you plan to stamp on your scrapbook pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

1) paper cutter- Dont skimp on a paper cutter. Do lots of reading and asking around before you purchase.
2) quality paper and cardstock- buy the best quality papers and cardstock, and you'll have great looking projects! I like that SU's all coordinate, and love Bazill textured cardstock.
3) ink- black and brown are the basics. I love the Spots- craft/pigment inks and SU's match all the cardstock too, but I'm not a fan of the black. Like Joan mentioned, the color is a litte too purple-ish, and not a true black.
3) coloring method when stamping- I disagree with some of the other posters about the markers. I've been cardin for about 2-3 years now and havent missed them a bit. Everyone's taste is different though. Scan the galleries and see which coloring techniques you like the looks of the best and then decide.
4) accessories and embellishments- go slow here. I use baby wipes to clean my stamps. use an old washcloth to wipe on if you need to get into the grooves a little more. You can't go wrong with a pack of silver or gold brads. See what kind of things you like in the gallery and go from there.
5) inspiration- I love this card gallery and board, especially for advice with anything related to stampin up or TAC. LOTS of demos and fans of those products here, but keep that in mind when you are getting your advice. I hear the dirty dozen gallery is well worth the subscription, I'm gonna probably purchase that soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to commited
Thumbs up Newbies Check this out!

This is an excellent spot to visit. Everyone shared some really good pointers. Ideas are flying off the pages. I am glad I visited.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Exclamation

all these girls always have great ideas. one of the things i got early on is the stamp & scrub. if you are going to be doing ANY stamping this is a must have. the cheaper versions of this in the stores aren't any good!
Reply With Quote Likes