Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #1  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Being Frugal

Okay- so, I am signed up to do the Ladies Night Out at a local church in September. I am super excited about it and see lots of potential coming from this! The lady who is in charge has a "couponing/frugal living" blog. One of the things that she is doing to help market the vendors is allowing us to write a short post regarding getting started, etc." Knowing the nature of her blog I thought a fun post (and I think I can have more than one) would be to incorporate how to be frugal in your crafting in this economy. So share the love and any tips provided will have proper credit given! I can't wait to hear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Being frugal -what a great topic! I guess I am frugal in a few ways. Nothing unique in what I do, but here you go:

-keep packaging from my purchases and reuse the boxes also the twine/ribbon to use on my projects

-I keep all my pattern paper and cardstock scraps and go to those first when I want to die cut a shape. No piece is too small, you never know when you need to punch a 1/4" circle -lol!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #3  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Choosing one company for my inks & cardstock (and most of my dp & ribbon). There are so many companies with lovely papers & inks - but I just can't afford them all, nor do I have space to store them all. Though I have made an exception for black - I have quite a few black ink pads!
In keeping with the above, I also limit the number of stamp companies I buy from. There are just SOOOOOOOOO many wonderful, wonderful stamps out there. I want them all! Anyway, I have found that limiting myself to wishlists & purchases from no more than 6 really helps keep my spending under control and closer to my budget. When I first decided that, I thought there was NO WAY it was going to be possible - only six companies?!? Crazy right? Maybe impossible? Not really - I've actually found it to be quite wonderful - almost freeing if that makes sense? I don't feel guilty about my purchases, 'cause I haven't bought 15 other companies' new releases already that month (ok, not that I've ever actually bought that many, but you get the idea) KWIM? I've also found that it has really helped me to look at my stamp collection and evaluate what I have and what occasions I have very little for and gear my purchases at little more towards what I actually need.
I like the lovely 3D flowers on cards, the Primas etc. - but I find them a little pricey. In the short term, I have spent more money, buying a few flower-shaped punches and dies. In the long term though, I always have flower embellishments in whatever colour/paper I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #4  

thanks ladies- keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #5  

just a bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Google "Craigslist (name of your city)" Then, under "search" type in words like "stamping," "scrapbook, " "rubber stamps," etc. That will get you to current garage sales in your area where people are selling stuff they don't want. USUALLY CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!!

Buy most of my stuff at garage sales where people are dumping their hobby----LOVELY GOODs and great prices!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda like Anemone, I try to keep my costs down by only buying from Stampin' Up. It's not too hard since SU has so many wonderful products. They keep coming out with new things that I want, that is the only difficulty I have with keeping my costs down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Hit Goodwill and thrift stores in your area-----I buy ALL my ribbon and buttons at those stores!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Are you specifically wanting people to post on this thread?
Because this one Ways to make do instead of buy new by Barbara Jay at Splitcoaststampers ran for a long time this year and has a whole bunch of ideas in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
Hit Goodwill and thrift stores in your area-----I buy ALL my ribbon and buttons at those stores!!!
i try to go to these "in the better" towns around here. small towns have too much "junk". not enough cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Are you specifically wanting people to post on this thread?
Because this one Ways to make do instead of buy new by Barbara Jay at Splitcoaststampers ran for a long time this year and has a whole bunch of ideas in it.
well, it would be easier to take ideas from this thread than to wade through a bunch of ideas from another thread but I'll go take a peek. And it's not necessarily making do instead of buying new- it's more about how to be wise in your purchases. I don't want people to think buying new is bad ;) this is a marketing tool for me as well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #12  

thanks ladies- keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have over 2,000 frugal crafting tips. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One easy way to keep a frugal lifestyle is to right down every purchase and keep tabs on the where the spending is going every month. Every gas fill up. Every Starbucks latte. Every order from a company. Right it all down. When you see where your money is going, you can make changes in your spending patterns.

I try to put a lot of frugal tips on my blog, but here are a few more:

* Stop magazine subscriptions and impulse buys at the checkout. Use your local library instead!

* Get your inspiration from the internet rather than trips to the store...it's a lot cheaper!

* Do not succumb to the temptation of the craft store coupon. When you enter the store, you will be lured into buying things you don't need!

* Ribbon shares and paper shares are a great way to get a sampling of a product without needing to have a huge quantity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I save the packing papers that come in boxes (had beautfiul non wrinkled paper from Ikea) and I saved it and stamped on it to make wrapping paper. I get the large rolls of white and kraft papers and also stamp on them to make my own paper. I never have to buy it anymore. Get cheap packs of white gift bags/or kraft and stamp them. They end up being 25-35 cents a piece that way.

Save all lovely ribbons/fabric bows from gifts given to me and use them on my cards or packaging gifts.

Use cheap lunchbags (get a bag each year) and decorate them for my holiday cookies or gifts thru out the year. You can really personalize things this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #16  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Show them premade card samples using just a few stamps sets, a packet of mixed colored paper, a few stamp pads and a little ribbon That way they can see the variety of cards that can be made for different occasions with just a few supplies. Most of us didn't start out with much more than that, when we all knew we could save a lot of money by making our own cards. You may also want to show a sample of the supplies used to make the cards, so they can see how few supplies it took.

You can also take additional samples using other stamp sets just to show what is available.

The desire to own everything didn't come until later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I think being organized is a great way to be frugal.....not that I speak from experience LOL....but when you keep things organized you are less likely to buy doubles or unnecessary items.....THAT part is from experience ;).

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 AM   #18  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use cereal boxes for my chip board, another good reason to invest in a bigshot and dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

When I was a Stampin Up demo I bought ALL of the ink colors and cardstock. I went inactive a two years ago and since then I have been using up my cardstock. I have found that I have favorite color combos so I only replace the colors that are my favs. I also buy designer paper off eBay just a few sheets at a time so I am not spending $20.00or more for a whole pack. I have found rubber stamps at yard sales and the DAV thrift store for bargain prices. Mostly I research the best prices and shipping rates online and keep my eyes open for deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

Quality over quantity. For a long time I had the cheaper is better mindset (for all things not just crafty things) but have learned that cheaper is not always better. I just gave away a couple of moving boxes worth of crafty things just because I bought them on clearance and never used them. Nothing is a good deal if you don't use it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Tami, are you hoping to use this ladies night out to get your Amuse business going? If so, I would show how to use one stamp set in numerous ways. Show at least 4-5 different cards or scrapbook pages for one set. To me that would be a good way to show others how to get more bang for your buck. Good Luck. Sounds like a fun time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #22  

bump these are great ideas- would love more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy LittlerView Post
Tami, are you hoping to use this ladies night out to get your Amuse business going? If so, I would show how to use one stamp set in numerous ways. Show at least 4-5 different cards or scrapbook pages for one set. To me that would be a good way to show others how to get more bang for your buck. Good Luck. Sounds like a fun time.
yes and I think that's definitely a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetnsassystampsView Post
I think being organized is a great way to be frugal.....not that I speak from experience LOL....but when you keep things organized you are less likely to buy doubles or unnecessary items.....THAT part is from experience ;).
This is what I do. I have a small little notebook that fits into a pocket on the outside of my purse. I write down every embossing folder, nestabilities set, punch etc that I own so I don't end up buying a duplicate. I bought an embossing folder once that I already had so I learned from experience. I also printed out a sheet of the colors and supplies from SU and put a check mark beside the ones I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I try and use "cheap cardstock" for layering (underneath). So much of it is never seen, and typically just looking for color along an edge. This keeps your "nice" cardstock for the actual card, whatever you stamp on the front, etc.

Hit your Dollar Store. Some stuff is "cheap" but much not! I've bought cute ribbon, have found corregated bulletin board edges (that are GREAT for your cards!!!)----corregated and ready to go!!!-----have found mounting tape that was quite nice, glue sticks, etc. "Eyes" for fish cards. Take a peek and pick and choose!

My Card Club folks..........we meet monthly........at any meeting, anyone can bring supplies they don't use and "sell" them. Typically, the prices are low! Ask your stamp/scrapbook friends for a "swap" and each bring what you don't use, put a small, reasonable price on it, and wa-la! Someone else can use it! I've picked up quite a few great bargains and great items in this fashion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Organize well so you can always see what you have.

Stick to a budget.

Keep a running wish list and wait at least a couple of weeks to buy... Those impulse purchases are killer.

Search craigslist etc for good deals on tools, stamps, etc.

Do swaps/ shares with crafty friends.

Search for ideas online rather than buying books or magazines.

Quality over quantity. Stick to trusted brands rather than the latest and greatest.

Sign up for email alerts, etc for companies you like. Save that wish list for sales or free shipping codes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I buzz a few frugal blogs and see what they do, and they have great ideas! Like making your own paper flowers -many different ways. Making your own tools and gadgets for crafting such as making your own embossing folders with cardboard from cereal boxes or snack boxes. I like using clear acetate pieces that are flat for thing-a-ma-jig stamping. I save these to use again. I will cut squares of about 4x4 and just save them for that purpose. Most things you buy come sealed in clear acetate, so I save pieces of that for re-use. I think I am frugal by nature as it seems I have always had to be resourceful with money. I also just like finding frugal ways to make simple but pretty or elegant things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

For starters, I don't leave the house without an AC Moore, Michaels and/or Hobby Lobby coupon in my purse or back pocket.

I've found great storage items at my goodwill. There are two in town and I've noticed the one closer to my house is definitely the best one. Less junk.

When I do clean out my stash, I sell to buy. Anything that goes into my paypal account is considered "fun money" and can be used for more stamps and supplies. I love how it doesn't touch the "family/bills/groceries and other duties money."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I always check my BIG LOTS when I am in that area, and I have found everything from ribbon, to stamp sets, to cuttlebug folders there, at a fraction of the cost. Usually only a dollar or two!! Love that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would show how you can use a few simple stamps, cardstock and patterned paper to create gifts (since big gift giving season is coming up). Sets of cards, holders for gift cards, candy packaging, teacher gifts, recipe boxes, notebooks, etc. Show how professional a handmade gift can be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #31  

Received 827 Likes on 336 Posts

When I first began stamping in the 90's I was in grad school and had a very limited budget for craft supplies. To fund my hobby I sold demo cards and taught classes to stamping stores (got paid in store $$). I also signed up to work at a stamping convention a couple different years and again got paid in product.

I entered every contest I could find on internet forums and from stamping companies. I won a contest from Radiant Pearls and won a bunch of paints... like 50 jars. I submitted my work to stamping magazines and being published made me recognizable, so more companies would use me as a demo artist. All this really helped a lot, otherwise I could not have made many purchases. My DH is a very practical midwestern farm boy and did NOT understand the desire or need to produce art/crafts. He thought it was a total waste of time, so I had to come up with ways to pay for my need to be creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't give in to buying the latest holy grail of tools. When I see or read about the latest must have product I wait awhile and read the reviews to see if it really works. Before I started doing this I bought some things based on the raves in a thread and then in couple of weeks the non-raves started comming in. Waiting keeps me from having a lot of "why did I buy this piece o' junk" in my garage sale pile.

Before buying a stamp I ask how many times can I use it. I need to have several people that would like the image. This keeps me from having stamps that get used once and then never see ink again.

Before buying I think about what I alread have can I substitue. I'm really organized, messy, but I know what I have so I can easily do it.

I MacGuyver things - if it doesn't work the way it was designed then I'll see if I can modify it to make it work. If a stamp has a part I don't like then I cut if off. If a storage unit all most works, I'll try to find a way to modify it than buy something new.

Get organized and label everything. It really saves you money if you know what you have and can find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I MacGuyver things - if it doesn't work the way it was designed then I'll see if I can modify it to make it work. If a stamp has a part I don't like then I cut if off. If a storage unit all most works, I'll try to find a way to modify it than buy something new. [/B]
I bet you are a lot of fun to stamp with I have to go to my husband for that type of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Default frugal tips

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have over 2,000 frugal crafting tips. I wouldn't even know where to begin.
do you have these on a blog/document? Sounds like it would be a delight to read. thanks

angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammrxView Post
do you have these on a blog/document? Sounds like it would be a delight to read. thanks

angela
I do have a blog but I have no posts. It is designed and ready to go, lol. In the next couple of week I plan to start blogging. I am going to have a lot of frugal tips. It's time and everyone keeps asking me to start blogging.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #36  

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijoView Post
So share the love and any tips provided will have proper credit given! I can't wait to hear!
I am so excited!! I found the coolest free vintage graphics sites. Many of you have probably seen them, but I thought I'd share in case you haven't. Back when I was working, making plenty of money as a teacher:rolleyes: lol I bought sheets of vintage ephemera to use with stamped images. I actually paid money for these things! Now I can download them for free, put in photoshop and resize them and make my own sheets of vintage stuff!!

I'm having so much fun doing this! I found a bunch of botanicals that will go great with some Magenta and Stampers Anonymous stamps

*The Graphics Fairy*: SEARCH by Category - (Click on the Words, NOT the images, to Search!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is another thread that has tons of tips: Favorite Tip by SilverDragoness at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

I agree about the people who say organization is the key. My cousin has given me many things because she bought duplicates and then couldn't return them.

I also am a strong believer in QUALITY products. I have stopped buying most supplies from J's and M's unless I know it is made by a quality company (like Ranger). I have wasted $$ on cheap cardstock and embellishments that never look as good as the quality ones you can get from A*Muse, SU, and PTI.

I NEVER buy cheap stamps either--you just waste time, ink and paper trying to get them to stamp correctly.

That is not to say I don't love a good sale or bargain! I try to combine purchases so I can get discounts on shipping, hostess credits or free stamp sets. I save my big SU spending for Sale-A-Bration time and I know that A*Muse*A*Palooza this month will probably be the best deal for A Muse stamps all year!

Also, I almost always make A2 sized cards with my letter sized cardstock. I save by making my own card bases and it is the best use of that paper size. It is way cheaper than buying pre-made cards and so very easy!

I think I will go mostly exclusively A Muse for my paper from now on, (even though I LOVE SU and PTI) because the white side of the paper saves time and trouble making liners for the inside of a dark-colored card.

I usually get a huge box of envies at Kelly Paper to save $$ too. This is cheaper than ordering from a stamp company or even from Staples.

Hope those ideas help.
My A Muse Studio Webstore Senior Associate #1114
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #39  

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by liannallamaView Post
I usually get a huge box of envies at Kelly Paper to save $$ too. This is cheaper than ordering from a stamp company or even from Staples.

That reminds me of the free envelopes from the drug store. I think someone posted it the other day and then I forgot about it. I used to teach 3rd grade many years ago, and one of my favorite activities was to read the book, "The Jolly Postman". Then, the kids would write their own version.... with REAL envelopes of course! That's how I found out that the card companies would give you the envys when they restocked after a holiday. I need to do that again, only this time for ME

I also agree with you about quality materials - big time! It's just not worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Have an image swapping party...get together with other stampy friends and stamp each others images for later use. This is a good way to get more/fresh images without spending $$$.
Reply With Quote Likes