Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating a dead horse.... Unmounting

I am starting a new thread because there are sooooo many out there about unmounting and it is hard to find the info I need/want.

I have unmounted alot of my SU stamps and used ez mount on them. I like it ok but was wanting to try the tack it stuff that others have talked about.

What do you like and dislike about it?
How is stamping w/out the foam different from w/ the foam?
When you take the stamp off the block can you keep the foam that is on it, on it and put the tack it over that?
Do they stick to the CD cases like EZ mount does?

If there is any other helpful info that you can think of with the tack it please list that too.

Thanks alot.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried EZ mount first, didn't like it and it was expensive. I now use Aileens Tack it over. I find it easy to use. I see no difference with or without foam. Yes, I keep the foam on my stamp if it stay attaches after unmounting. I put the tack right on it.
Yes they stick to the CD cases. The tack doesn't last forever, you will need to reapply eventually. But I find it lasts a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Default tack it

I love using the tack it! 1 bottle will last you forever. The big key is to make your layer VERY thin and if it is thin then you don't have to be as concerned about it being even. I generally have no problems stamping with just the rubber on the block. On the few that need that extra cushion to stamp well, I keep a sheet of thick craft foam (the stuff in the kid's craft aisle) and put that under the paper and things are great.

I store mine in CD cases and they stick really well. You can always add more tack it if over time your frequently used stamps loose their stickiness.

Remember to pat them on the back of your hand as directed on the bottle after they dry before the first time you put them in storage or on your block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought the Tsukinedo Tack N Peel sheet to use with Bellas, but never got the hang of it. It is supposed to work specifically with bare rubber stamps & is about 1/16" thick so that provides the cushion. Picture shows it is mounted on the acrylic block rather than the stamp. Still have the 4x6 pkg that I would be glad to trade with someone. Just PM if interested...

Pat

Last edited by patintn; 02-15-2010 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Is the name of it "Aleene'e tack it over" or is it something else?
Can you describe the bottle it comes in so I don't get the wrong thing?

Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

you've got the name right. I've only found it consistently in Micheal's, Joannes has been less reliable. It has a green label and comes in the same type of bottle as Ailene's other glues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Thanks so much for all the info. I think I will try this and if I don't like it then i will go back to the ez mount.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I'm going to give Aileen's a try. I've been using EZ Mount and cutting it has been a pain! My scissors are a mess after only a couple and need to be de-glued! Aileen's looks MUCH easier and quicker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
All my unmounted all my stamps, including my SU stamps, and they are all adhered with Aileene's Tack it over and over. I unmounted close to 6,000 individual stamps. I didn't want to buy CD cases because I didn't want to spend that much money.

I tried the binder system first, I ended up with 25 - 1" wide binders, holding 6 heavy duty document sleeves, with 2 pieces of card-stock inside the sleeve for stiffness and the stamps stuck to the outside of the sleeves. This worked for a while, but the document sleeves started to tear, the binders were awkward for me to handle. A few stamps fell off the sleeves too. I must not have gotten the adhesive quite right. Since, I'd already done this I came up with an alternative.

Using my paper cutter I cut each of the sleeves into 2 pieces small enough to fit into a zip, I stapled the corners together so the layers didn't flap around. This gave me a small 2 sided page. I stuck the stamps to the sheets, slipped them in Ziploc bags and stored them in plastic shoe boxes. This is easier for me because I can reach in and pull out what set or images I'm looking for.

I have no regrets for unmounting. I find I don't need the foam, I simply use a padded surface to stamp on. I use an old place mat that's about 1/8" thick and it's not fabric, it's some sort of rubber/plastic thing, but it's soft and easy to clean.

Here is the link to my blog, http://ladybugstamperscraftsite.blogspot.com/

scroll down to August and there are pictures of what I did. I haven't updated my blog since September so it's not that far down. I need to get back to blogging.

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Very nice Cynthia! I love your space! I just work out of a closet (see my gallery).

I'm very lucky as my sister (a teacher) gave me TONS of empty cd cases from a class project. So I'll be going that route...free is always good
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Here's my two cents for whatever it is worth, I have done the EZ mount and I'm so not a fan of it.... just like galoosh I hate the sticky scissors & mess..
Then I used Aileens T&O it works good, but I am one that when I want to use a stamp and I haven't put it on and it has to dry for a bit I get anxious..
So, I went to the bare nekkid side.... I have the Tack N Peel on a couple of my blocks .. it isn't hard to trim to fit.. Just have to keep track of the clear backing so you can put it back.. THen when I'm REALLLLLY lazy and dont feel like trimming I just slap some double sided tape on the block and use my rubber that way... Double sided tape is much cheaper.. I read amongst the hundreds of threads when going to the bare rubber you need that cushion, which is true, so there are a couple of things you can do, one being the fun foam at Michaels you can place under your paper.. OR I got the mouse pads that are foam and have that give to it and place a piece of scrap paper over it then my cardstock and I stamp away..

oh and to store I use CD cases and make a copy of the index to fit right in the front of the case and use a label to stick to the side so I can read easily the title of the set

so that is my two .. three or four cents worth.. HTH .. good luck in the unmounting.. it is tedious but worth the finished project.. I am almost to that point.. finished.. lol

Last edited by franb63; 02-15-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 531 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm in a different camp on the Aleene's TIO&O. I absolutely hate it. I applied it THIN, let it dry, touched it to my hand, my jeans, or whatever to reduce the tackiness. I put the stamps on storage sheets and over time they get stickier and stickier. Now they only come up by shredding the foam. They leave residue on my acrylic blocks as well as my storage sheets. If you get the glue wet, then it is like white glue, and you have to let it completely dry and reduce the stickiness again before you stick it to the storage sheets.

I am changing those sets out to EZ Mount. I prefer the reliability...the cost is worth it.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I prefer the ezmount as well. I don't like the stamps the be actually "sticky" and like the "cling" of the ezmount without them being tacky to the touch. I have been really happy with the ezmount though, and I use a hot knife to cut, which works GREAT and there are no sticky scissors to worry about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpaisley1View Post
I prefer the ezmount as well. I don't like the stamps the be actually "sticky" and like the "cling" of the ezmount without them being tacky to the touch. I have been really happy with the ezmount though, and I use a hot knife to cut, which works GREAT and there are no sticky scissors to worry about.

How do you heat your knife?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I've had no MAJOR issue with ATIO. A little messy/tricky in applying. But I love it. But to be honest I don't have as many rubber stamps as I do photo-polmyer stamps and I always stamp on a surface with foam underneath.

Good luck. This is the best place for advice.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 531 Likes on 237 Posts

A hot knife is kind of like a soldering iron or woodburner that has a blade like an xacto knife instead of the soldering tip or woodburning tip. It plugs in and gets REALLY hot! Mine is a tool with all the interchangable tips, so it does all of the above.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Ladies
Here is a FABULOUS tutorial I came across. It is a absolutely essential for un-mounting previously wood mounted sets or doing new unmounted sets. Susan has both a video tutorial and step by step picture tutorials .

http://www.stampsomefun.com/

now for sets that I have not mounted yet I just use the sticker label that would go on the block and adhere to the rubber and trim, and then continue with her instructions with the Tombo multi etc. (this cuts out the need to stamp and trim the tissue)

I hope it helps you as much as it has me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I started out using the EZ Mount and I loved it, but then it became too expensive and too time consuming to put on every unmounted stamp I had! Now I use the Tack 'n Peel sheets that I get at JoAnns - since it goes on the block and not on each individual stamp, it's much more economical ($10 per sheet, but I only buy them when I have a coupon). I just bought 2 or 3 sheets and mounted it on one each of the different sized blocks I have. Bare rubber clings right to it and I love it!

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine-Class of 2012!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I was a die hard EZMount user. I've used it for years. I had always been afraid to try ATIO&O... I don't know why, there would be no harm if it didn't work. Anyway, a few sets ago, I tried it. I took the new Stampin Up stamp and attached the sticker to the foam that is already on the stamp. I trimmed it to fit, then applied a very, very thin layer of the ATIO&O with a foam brush and set it aside to work on the next stamp. By the time I was done with the whole set, the stamps were already dry (that's how thin a layer I put on it). I did stamp off the stickiness on my hands a few times, and it was still pretty darn sticky, but not TOO sticky. I became an instant fan. It's so much quicker than cutting the goopy EZMount, and it seems like several less steps than I used to go through before.

I used to stamp my image on the cling side of the EZMount in StazOn.. which looking back, was a real pain because then I'd also have to clean the stamp before I attached it to the EZMount. I really do like having the image on back, so applying the sticker now really works for me. I don't think bare rubber is for me, although I guess I could put the sticker on the bare rubber as easily as I put it on the cushion.

EZMount was great when I was unmounting my older sets, but now that I'm all up to date with them, I'll use the ATIO&O from now on for my new sets. Although-- with SU going to the clear mount system, I won't be needing to do any of that anymore! Wahoo! SU are basically the only rubber stamps I use. The rest of my stamps are clear polymer.

Go for the ATIO&O. It's easy and so much quicker! (Yes, you can apply it to the foam if you can get the foam off your wooden block.. and if you can get your sticker off the block too, you can have an index if you apply it to the foam-- Then apply the ATIO&O on top of that, and you'll have a system almost just like Stampin' Up's new clear system)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I started out witht he EZMount, was then convinced by reading other's post to give ATIOO a try. Tried it. Didn't like it. I guess I'm just too heavy handed with it or something as it sticks too well to the cd's or storage sheets, the blocks and every thing else it touches. It also gets glitter and everything else you can imagine, stuck to it. Just too messy for me.

I also don't think it is faster to prepare the stamps with either. I plug in my hot knife, stick the rubber stamp to the glue side of the EZMount, use my hot knife to slice around the image, it's ready to use. The secret really is the hot knife. I hold the stamp attached to the EZMount in my left hand and slide the hot knife around the edge of it with my right hand. Takes seconds. I'm conservative with it. I take the paper off of the glue side and lay my stamps down on it starting from one corner leaving just a slice of space between them. Then I pick it up and start cutting. Very little waste so I get a lot of stamps out of just one sheet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Love EZ mount. Did all my Bellas in one evening with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Die Hard EZ mounter here too. I use the hot knife. You can get it cheap with a 50% coupon at michaels or Joanns. I can get a lot of sets out of a sheet of EZ Mount. That hot knife slices through like butter. So happy Stampin up has gone to unmounted as well. 10 CD cases here at Office Depot is only 4.00.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
A hot knife is kind of like a soldering iron or woodburner that has a blade like an xacto knife instead of the soldering tip or woodburning tip. It plugs in and gets REALLY hot! Mine is a tool with all the interchangable tips, so it does all of the above.
Where did you get yours and what is the brand name? I want to make sure I get the right one. I have a TON of stamps that are lying around because I too hate the sticky mess it makes. I bought Kai scissors twice because I lost the first pair before I even was able to use them and find out what a disappointment they are. This hot knife sounds like a dream!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkprincessView Post
Ladies
Here is a FABULOUS tutorial I came across. It is a absolutely essential for un-mounting previously wood mounted sets or doing new unmounted sets. Susan has both a video tutorial and step by step picture tutorials .

now for sets that I have not mounted yet I just use the sticker label that would go on the block and adhere to the rubber and trim, and then continue with her instructions with the Tombo multi etc. (this cuts out the need to stamp and trim the tissue)

Thank you for the link to her blog! Those instructions make perfect sense to me. I ordered a sample piece of vinyl and will try that on some of my still-mounted stamps.

I have used the TIOO on my unmounted stamps and I like how it clings. What I don't like is that it takes a long time to apply the glue & then for it to cure. I let it sit for 24 hours before putting the stamp away.

Now, I just peel the stamp off the cushion and peel the image label off the block then attach the label to the back of the stamp. I use two-way tape to attach the stamp to my acrylic block & use a foamy-type mouse pad for cushioning.

Last edited by RJP111; 02-24-2010 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

I'm a die-hard EZ mount user. Tried the ATIOO and didn't like it. I use the thinner EZ mount so the stamps fit in the CD cases better. My scissors get gunky, nothing a little UN-DO doesn't fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkprincessView Post
Ladies

thanks for the link. I have taken my stamps to bare rubber. It was much easier for me to do it that way than trying to keep the foam. I plan on using the ATIOO on them as needed. Thanks for all the input.

Reply With Quote Likes