Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:02 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bare Rubbah ?

Now, that I have my 1st sets of SU stamps, I need to take the plunge and use them! LOL. I am considering just peeling the foam off of the stamps and using the bare rubbah but I have some questions after reading lots of comments here on the BB.......

1. If I use Aleen's Tack it Over, do I dilute the mixture 50/50 with water and apply it to the back of the rubbah? If so, how long does it take for it to dry? Is there any special care I need to give my stamps while using them?

2. If I decide not to use the Aleen's stuff but rather apply double sided poster tape to my acrylic blocks, does that really hold the stamp well enough to use?

3. For those that use bare rubbah, are you pleased with the stamping results (i.e. crisp, clear images, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your help on this. I'm just a little nervous about making that first cut and want to stamp rather than experiment.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

. If I use Aleen's Tack it Over, do I dilute the mixture 50/50 with water and apply it to the back of the rubbah? If so, how long does it take for it to dry? Is there any special care I need to give my stamps while using them?
You don't have to dilute the mixture first, but I prefer to. It seems to be less messy, it dries faster and the stamps are easier to take on and off the blocks when you're done. With the diluted mixture, the glue dries really fast - I usually put on 2 or 3 coats of it and by the time I'm done putting the first coat on the last stamp of the set, the first stamp is ready for another coat. You can tell it's dry when it's clear. I know it seems kind of strange to dilute it and then put on extra coats, but even 3 coats of the diluted stuff dries faster than one of the full strength. (It also probably doesn't need that many coats on bare rubber. I use it on top of SU's cushion and I think the first coat kind of soaks in a little bit.)

Quote:

2. If I decide not to use the Aleen's stuff but rather apply double sided poster tape to my acrylic blocks, does that really hold the stamp well enough to use?
Yes! I use to poster tape to test my bare stamps to see if they need cushion or not and when I'm in a hurry to use a new one. I prefer the Tack It Over and Over or EZ Mount because then the stamps also stick to the storage sheet.

Quote:

3. For those that use bare rubbah, are you pleased with the stamping results (i.e. crisp, clear images, etc.)?
Bare rubbah actually seems to be better for small images - cushion seems to make them more unstable. For the most part, bare rubber gives just a fine impression even on the bigger images and I know lots of the ladies on here use it. If you have a stamp that seems to need a little cushion, stamping on a pad of paper or magazine is usually enough. I just can't seem to get used to the feel of it, though - the images are fine, but it just doesn't feel right to me to not have the cushion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

At first I used Tack it Over. But I didn't like how I sometimes didn't get a crisp image on larger stamps. You would need to put the TIO on the entire image for it to show onto your paper. I eventually switched to EZ mount, which covers the entire image, whether your stamp is large or small. Crisp clean stamped images each and every time.

I have never used poster tape, nor have I gone bare rubbah. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Couple of things I've found. If I use the bare rubber putting a mouse pad or fun foam under the paper gives a better impression. You could just peel the paper off the foam, stick and unstick on your clothing so it isn't so sticky and use it that way. I've done a few that way, but I can't speak for how long they will stick.

One other thing I just read on Joan's blog is to stick it to saran wrap and it will then cling to an acrylic block. I don't know how long it will stick or last, but it is something I want to try sometime. It sounds promising and I figure what's the worse that can happen? I can always go to EZ mount or bare rubber if it loses its cling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use poster tape a lot. Just put a strip on a block (2 or 3 strips if the blocks are large). The tape comes off the dispenser with a sticky side and then a tape covering for the other side. After sticking the tape onto the block you just peel away the tape covering and plop your stamp on it. Save the covering, though, and put it back over the tape when you're done. It'll keep the stickiness longer..

How long the tape stays sticky depends on different things. Pet hair if you have some; dust...the bane of my existance! Spokane has more dust than anywhere else, I'm convinced, lol! Use that cover!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, bare rubber it is! That is how all my stamps are! TAC - SU - HA ALL of them are just bare rubber!

Aileens TIO&O on the back, here is the how to, it onlu takes the smallest thin, really thin coat of it. No need to put it on in dots, or thick, just THIN. In fact I use what is called a *fan* brush to just ever so lightly coat my stamps 300+ sets of them!

Storage is even less than regular cushion backed unmounted to!

No rocking, rolling or raised rubber edges to get in the way either.

Try it, you'll love it!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

You forgot to mention "cheap,"! Aleene's and bare rubber is a very inexpensive way to go um. No extra "stuff" to buy except the bottle of glue, which, let's face it, will last forever...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is right Betsy! Thanks for that reminder too! CHEAPER!!!!!

Means more stamps down the road! 8]

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaSunshineView Post
Now, that I have my 1st sets of SU stamps, I need to take the plunge and use them! LOL. I am considering just peeling the foam off of the stamps and using the bare rubbah but I have some questions after reading lots of comments here on the BB.......

1. If I use Aleen's Tack it Over, do I dilute the mixture 50/50 with water and apply it to the back of the rubbah? If so, how long does it take for it to dry? Is there any special care I need to give my stamps while using them?

Thanks in advance for your help on this. I'm just a little nervous about making that first cut and want to stamp rather than experiment.
Apply Aleene's Tack It Over & Over in a thin coat...stuff doesn't work if the coat is thick (almost every adhesive should be applied in a thin coat in order for it to do the job). Be sure it is dry...it'll be clear and tacky...before you put the stamp on a block or storage sheet.

Poster Tape is great - a couple of strips across the block will hold any size stamp securely on the block. When the tape gets grungy, rinse the block under water and allow the tape to dry. In a pinch, even cheapo double stick tape will do the job!

I never use a cushion under my stamps...but I sometimes place a piece of 6mm Foamies (craft foam) under the paper when stamping.

Kind of depends upon the storage method you prefer as to the supply used to hold the stamp on the block. An adhesive on the back of the stamp offers more storage options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have just recently changed my stamps over to bare rubber! I love it!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I went to Michael's this afternoon and they are completely out of the Tack it Over so I guess I will use the poster tape on the blocks until they get in another shipment. Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I'm also in the Bare Rubber Club -- only I use Scotch Restickable Gluestick on the backs of mine. Same advantages as TIO&O, but only takes about 60 seconds to become tacky so you can stick, stamp and un-stick it. Patience is NOT one of my virtues, I'm afraid. ;) There has been some discussion of using Mono Multi adhesive the same way as TIO&O -- using the big 'spreader' end to apply it, rather than the thin end. I'm going to test that the next time I cut & paste a set of stamps. If it works as well for me as the gluestick does, I'll switch -- it's always nice to have one less thing cluttering up my desk, and the Mono Multi has a permanent place there already!

I use a stack of 4-5 sheets of scrap text-weight paper under the item I'm stamping on, which is plenty of cushion for the images that may need a little extra help in that department. HTH! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes