Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 AM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do my classes in a retail art shop...not as a SU demo but as a jane bloe teacher. I don't sell any SU product. I give all class participants a materials list and a short run down on how to do the tech.

I forgot to say that if no class was going on...what's the big deal? Spies! Puhlease! The CIA is looking into what we stampers are doin' :?
Member #3785
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #42  
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!
Default NASA

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc82742
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
Quote:

Originally Posted by lburanas
it's not nasa, it's STAMPING!
LOL! That's funny!
heehee.. i work at NASA
NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT... :lol:

(working at NASA, that is...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasku2stamp
How rude! I do tech classes and have lost (?) a potential student by telling them how the tech works. Lost out on money that way. :( Kinda don't want to share the goods unless you come to the class but don't want to hold out either. Same woman calls the shop every month to find out what we will be doing and then how the tech works and I just havent been able to figure out a way to say come to the class! My classes are cheap too! I only charge between $10-15 per person...all materials supplied.

Would I be rude to tell ppl who are wanting to know how to do the tech. to come to the class and find out? Kinda seems like a catch 22. I want ppl to learn and have fun but this is also the only way I make any money right now. I'm also doing all the work.
This is another perspective, and a valid one at that, Mel--thanks for bringing it up!

Unfortunately, as instructors and demo'rs, we are in a position of d***** if we do share and d***** if we don't (by asking that they host a workshop or take the class)!

How to find a way so BOTH parties are happy is the crux of the matter.

I, too, find it frustrating to be asked to explain or share my expertise, when the other party has no intention of making a purchase at all. They are just looking for free information.

Our expertise is valuable and certainly worth compensation--but, somehow, folks seem to think that if you have knowledge/expertise/information that is valuable (obviously, it is or they wouldn't want it), you should just give it away freely.

So, how can you possibly profit from your skill if you operate that way? And, why does the consumer think you don't have the right to profit from it, in the same way a doctor profits from his medical expertise? In the same way a teacher profits from imparting skill and knowledge in a public school classroom--they aren't paid great, but they are paid--? In the same way a plumber gets paid for fixing your pipes???????

After all, we hire them because we don't have the expertise ourselves or are unwilling to figure out how to do it on our own.

You know, it's not the refusal to impart the information, because I think Mel has a valid point--perhaps it's the WAY in which the refusal is communicated that sets people off . . . ??????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Try some different sites if you need to

I am not sure, but I think this site has the best prices, even better than the people who make them. LOL

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

HTH
Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:50 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by alasku2stamp
I do my classes in a retail art shop...not as a SU demo but as a jane bloe teacher. I don't sell any SU product. I give all class participants a materials list and a short run down on how to do the tech.

I forgot to say that if no class was going on...what's the big deal? Spies! Puhlease! The CIA is looking into what we stampers are doin' :?
Is it just me or is this just sad, anytime anyone responds with a statement that is outside SU's policy they feel the need to "explain" themselves? I include myself in this fact. It would be nice when anyone states something regarding their SU business we would automatically think they are operating within policy instead of the other way around. JMO Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:51 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Julie is right

I think you are right, Julie. Not only the way she imparted the information, but she evidently didn't have a lot of common sense. The $50 worth of product was certainly worth sharing a little and someone liking the store and coming back.

Where I live stamp stores are hot commodities and usually don't stay in business if they don't share. The closest one is 20 miles away. LOL There was a lady in Charlotte who had to close because she had no common sense on when to share and and when to stand.

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

And to further clarify, I was not asking for step by step instructions. I told her specifically that I understood she couldn't/shouldn't give me step by step instructions when they are trying to promote a class, but she wouldn't even tell me we used x product and let me figure it out on my own. All I wanted to know was the product used, nothing more.

Boooo Hooooo Hooooo!!!

Anyway, I'm spoiled with SCS because not only do you ladies share products used but the technique!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

How about a print out sheet that you sell for a dollar or so? It's a lot different seeing and reading. I do understand the dilemna regarding, but I think a polite way for Angela to have been told is:

We use Product X, would love for you to come to my class and see how it's used and other ways you can use it too.

Me, I'm a tinkerer. I would never have started scrapbooking and really buying from my CM friend if I had to pay for her classes, that's just me. I'm difficult. Well, not real difficult, but, I like to play at my own pace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 12:38 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

Basically the same thing happened to me at a demo's stamp camp. I had attended about three at her house and purchased over $400 in merchandise from her. I asked her what a certain technique was and she said "Oh if you want to know, you can come to another party and find out" Needless to say I NEVER went to another of hers and found another demo. I did not want a demonstration I just wanted to know what it was. I actually came home and found the technique on the computer...she lost at lot of business that night as all my friends went with the new demo also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 05:14 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

WOW!!!! When my customers checked out my swaps from convention, I was more than happy to tell them how people achieved certain effects. I don't have EVERYTHING to show, but I recommend this site and a couple of others that show techniques. And basically, we don't all KNOW it all, it's because we saw or someone showed us something new and cool. I get excited to show my friends and customers new things I learn. I've used PE a lot and told people how - to, did a workshop with it and one customer bought ALL the PE families from SU. Another customer bought the COMPLETE PE family on Ebay or somewhere, but she buys her stamps and paper from me. I can't knock great deals elsewhere, but my customers do come back to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 07:33 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela Bounds
And to further clarify, I was not asking for step by step instructions. I told her specifically that I understood she couldn't/shouldn't give me step by step instructions when they are trying to promote a class, but she wouldn't even tell me we used x product and let me figure it out on my own. All I wanted to know was the product used, nothing more.
Oh right, Because the product would have the instructions on it!

You know, maybe you wouldn't come to that class, but if she'd been nicer maybe you'd go to a different class, come back & buy more, etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Is it just me or is this just sad, anytime anyone responds with a statement that is outside SU's policy they feel the need to "explain" themselves? I include myself in this fact. It would be nice when anyone states something regarding their SU business we would automatically think they are operating within policy instead of the other way around. JMO Vicki
I know what you mean...I have been called on the carpet one too many times about SU rules (I wasn't breaking any but the ppl thought I should be chewed on a little) to not kinda include a disclosure anyway. Stinks but it does cut way down on the ones who need to chew. lol

I have always been very open about what products I use for a tech. I am always more than happy to say, "we are gonna be using bleach tonite and I am gonna show you everything you can do with bleach when stamping." I had one woman call and want details about how to do it. I went ahead and told her, she didn't come to the class. After I got off the phone with her I wanted to kick myself. I think I have finally figured out how to tell ppl a little without going overboard. *I tend to tell way too much!*

My next class is on Expressionistic Watercolors. I have already practiced what I am gonna say to the ones who want some info and to the ones who want to know how to do it without coming to the class. How do these sound? 1. "This tech uses water, your ink pads and a stamp to create a really great effect. I can't wait to show it to everyone at our class!" 2. Same as above but instead of saying "I can't wait to show it to everyone at our class" I'll say, "I really wish you could join us! We will miss not having you."

As a customer, hou would hte above make you feel? Need feedback!
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 11:55 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

1. "This tech uses water, your ink pads and a stamp to create a really great effect. I can't wait to show it to everyone at our class!" 2. Same as above but instead of saying "I can't wait to show it to everyone at our class" I'll say, "I really wish you could join us! We will miss not having you."

I think that would be fine. *I* would not be offended in the least by that explanation. I think most fo the time the offence comes in with the *tone* the person uses when explaining kwim?

~~Starla~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

I totally agree!!! That would be fine, and I wouldn't be affended at all (especially since you didn't call me a spy :lol: ). I go to stamp stores and buy from my demo, because this makes me happy and I feel creative, but also I feel part of a community. At least for me that's also important. So if you said that to me, I'd think, great!! I can buy this now and try it, but certainly she is fun and I wish I could take her class, hopefully I can the next time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

Default boo hiss!

THat was terrible customer service! ANd what nerve. Maybe someone dropped a house on the woman's sister or something :twisted: Good for you for just walking out without making your purchase, and for the letter you're going to write. With all of the replies here, you can put that several people were unimpressed ;)

Glad you found what you were looking for from someone at SCS. I haven't been a member of this site very long, but now I'm hopelessly addicted to it because the ladies here are so neat, I love it!!

Hope you have fun playing with the twinking H2Os!!

Jules
Reply With Quote Likes