Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread inspired me to use a background stamp. The card I made today used Spaghetti Backgrounder from CHF. (Which is where all my backgrounds are from. I mean $8 with free shipping? Can't beat that!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
This thread inspired me to use a background stamp. The card I made today used Spaghetti Backgrounder from CHF. (Which is where all my backgrounds are from. I mean $8 with free shipping? Can't beat that!)

cute card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #43  
Kookie Creator

I don't use mine as much on cards as I do with altered projects such as tiled coasters. I think we go through different styles and phases with our stamping.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamperView Post
I sold mine as soon as I got my cuttlebug.
:shock: The instant I do that, will come a project for which I *need* my background stamps. :rolleyes:

Just like there came a need for plastic mini compasses a week or so ago, and because I had previously passed up the opportunity to buy them (without any specific project in mind--just thinking "Hmmmmm. Those would be so handy to have on hand . . . some time . . . for something . . . something for which I have no clue right now, but something . . . I just know it . . . :p ) And, of course, I was kicking myself a week ago that I did not give in to my impulses . . . ACK! :?

So, there you have it: I *must* keep my BG stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no intention of getting rid of my background stamps either. I think I'm just in a phase and backgrounds will be looking really good later on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
Thank you Joan! So I just have to keep perservering with it!

Lisa, I am using the SU classic ink ... and the background is unmounted ... I lay it rubber up on the table and put the cardstock on it. I was using Almost Amethyst cardstock. I could NOT get a clean image ... but I will try again now that I know perserverance is the key!

Thanks to you both.
With this particular stamp, I do not lay the card stock on the stamp due to the fact that there is *so* much empty space. It's very hard to be steady enough.

Instead I pull out a wood mounted version and place it on the sticker side or an extra large acrylic block and actually STAMP the paper. It seems to help a lot. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Another thought on BG stamps...

There is no doubt that I love my background stamps more than most. They are essential to all of the creating that I do. This thread has got me to thinking why that is and I think I know the reason.

I am a "stampy stamper". What on earth is a stampy stamper you say? I did not come up with that term myself, but let me relate the story where it originated.

I was working with an editor last year and we were discussing a project I had been asked to do. The project was very much suited to stamping and since I am a stamper first, I asked if I could use stamps exclusively to create the design. It was then that I was asked if I was a "stampy stamper." I replied, "a stampy stamper," what on earth is that?! :confused:

After a lengthy conversation, I had a light bulb moment�that purely stamped cards have a distinct look. It flowed naturally that we began to use certain terms to describe the distinct look of different types of designs.

I began using this language with friends like JulieHRR and she dubbed it "Mona Speak."

Stampy Cards: cards made primarily with stamps, ink, techniques and card
stock

Scrappy Cards: cards made primarily with scrapbooking materials such as patterned paper and embellishments

The Hybrid: cards made with a mix of stamping and scrapbooking supplies

Ok, so back to the discussion about background stamps....

I think the reason that I love my BG stamps so much, is that I am very much a technique based stamper. My creative spirit finds its muse when I am pressing inked rubber to paper (or metal, acrylic, acetate, etc).

Now, do I love scrapbooking supplies? Yes, I have a ROOM FULL. In fact, my "scrappy cards" tend to be the ones that most people seem to like. I drool over what companies like Basic Grey and Daisy D and others are able to bring to market and find great pleasure in creating with them. It's also true that the lines between scrapbooking and stamping have been blurring for sometime, as many scrap companies start to manufacture stamps and ink.

But here is my question for you stampers...can you put a purely stamped card next to a hybrid or mostly scrappy card and look at them as the same? PLEASE HEAR ME when I say, that they are both equally wonderful, but it seems to me that they are a different animal.

Hopefully this is not too far off topic, but I think it will be interesting to see if red rubber backgrounds will stand up to the test of a market full of fabulous scrapbook paper or Cuttlebug backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #48  
Glitter Guru

I use it all. BG stamps, small stamps to create a BG, paper, Cuttlebug ~~ sometimes I use everything on one card, lol. I love putting patterned paper through the CB. I love putting CS stamped with a bg through the CB. I am an equal opportunity stamper!!!

I have the dotted bg & the reverse dotted bg, & I have a hard time using them also. But I love them!! I haven't found the dotted to be as hard as the reverse dotted ~~ hard to get good ink coverage. I will continue to experiment though, because they are 2 of my all time favorite backgrounds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

I go in spurts...I love BG stamps but quite often they get forgotten and then I remember one I like, it gets a lot of use for a bit and then tossed in the drawer again for long periods. Gee, I guess I'm a fickle stamper LOL! I need to remember to use them more b/c I do love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #50  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommyView Post
I haven't found the dotted to be as hard as the reverse dotted ~~ hard to get good ink coverage.
Have you tried Fluid Chalk Ink by Clearsnap? Or SU! Craft Ink?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Looking through my gallery, I realized I make a lot of scrappy cards. I think I prefer the look of stampy cards more, but I am a lazy stamper and DP is always within my reach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I love my BG stamps...can't seem to part with them even though they are retired! I think they add such great interest to the base of a card. They also look great with an image stamped over them, like a flower over French Script.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

I love my BG stamps too!!! Paisely and Print Pattern are my two faves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

The reason I love my BG stamps is that I can always match the SU colors perfectly. I use my BG's all the time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

After reading Mona Lisa's question: I'm a hybrid stamper leaning toward being a stampy stamper. Ink is cheaper than DP. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #56  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by prbloomView Post
I seem to use them less and less, but then I do remember them, I love them! I think my CB is to blame.
I agree. I haven't used mine very much since I got my Bug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #57  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mona LisaView Post
There is no doubt that I love my background stamps more than most. They are essential to all of the creating that I do. This thread has got me to thinking why that is and I think I know the reason.

I am a "stampy stamper". What on earth is a stampy stamper you say? I did not come up with that term myself, but let me relate the story where it originated.

I was working with an editor last year and we were discussing a project I had been asked to do. The project was very much suited to stamping and since I am a stamper first, I asked if I could use stamps exclusively to create the design. It was then that I was asked if I was a "stampy stamper." I replied, "a stampy stamper," what on earth is that?! :confused:

After a lengthy conversation, I had a light bulb moment�that purely stamped cards have a distinct look. It flowed naturally that we began to use certain terms to describe the distinct look of different types of designs.

I began using this language with friends like JulieHRR and she dubbed it "Mona Speak."

Stampy Cards: cards made primarily with stamps, ink, techniques and card
stock

Scrappy Cards: cards made primarily with scrapbooking materials such as patterned paper and embellishments

The Hybrid: cards made with a mix of stamping and scrapbooking supplies

Ok, so back to the discussion about background stamps....

I think the reason that I love my BG stamps so much, is that I am very much a technique based stamper. My creative spirit finds its muse when I am pressing inked rubber to paper (or metal, acrylic, acetate, etc).

Now, do I love scrapbooking supplies? Yes, I have a ROOM FULL. In fact, my "scrappy cards" tend to be the ones that most people seem to like. I drool over what companies like Basic Grey and Daisy D and others are able to bring to market and find great pleasure in creating with them. It's also true that the lines between scrapbooking and stamping have been blurring for sometime, as many scrap companies start to manufacture stamps and ink.

But here is my question for you stampers...can you put a purely stamped card next to a hybrid or mostly scrappy card and look at them as the same? PLEASE HEAR ME when I say, that they are both equally wonderful, but it seems to me that they are a different animal.

Hopefully this is not too far off topic, but I think it will be interesting to see if red rubber backgrounds will stand up to the test of a market full of fabulous scrapbook paper or Cuttlebug backgrounds.
I definitely consider myself a "stampy" stamper, too. :mrgreen:

And, I am rollin' . . . -- 'cuz I speak "Mona". :mrgreen:

*chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mona LisaView Post
Have you tried Fluid Chalk Ink by Clearsnap? Or SU! Craft Ink?
The only SU craft ink I have is white, & I have chalk ink but just the small ones so no, I've only used classic. I knew when I was trying to ink it up that one of those 2 would work better, but I used what I had Which do you think works better ~~ craft or chalk?? I love my chalk ink for solid stamps, but it would take me forever to ink up a bg stamp with those little eyes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #59  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I love my Paisley BG- I think I use it on about 75% (or more) of the cards I make. I think it adds a lot without being too much and being able to go tone on tone makes a subtle background rather than one that's not as subtle (using dp). I do use some DP though- usually not as a card base though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I love my bg stamps! I just got 5 new ones with my last Su order, now I have 11. I think they are great! I do not have a CB, nor do I want one - I need more supplies like a hole in the head. Lately, I cannot stand a blank bg. Take a look at a recent card I did, click here. That would look so boring without it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

I am hopelessly addicted to my background stamps. I use them all the time. It is actually a rare stamping day when I don't use my background stamps at least once that it is rare that I only use them once in a sitting!

I actually just removed all my background SU stamps from their containers and created a label for each one to put on the side (the SU labels are on the containers) so I can place them on a shelf so they are easier to get at. I need easier access I use them that much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvaCView Post
When I started stamping I used only patterned paper for backgrounds...now I am steering towards the use of background stamps...there are so many SU stamps that I want that can be used as backgrounds...I am going to go broke!
Same here! I liked using the wheels at my demo's house for our card camp. I would like to start collecting those!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Well, I ordered 4 from CHF last week, so I really like my BG stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #64  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have to say, I was a background stamp nazi - every card needed at least one!

Now, I don't use them as much. For me, it is for one main reason. For DT's you have to use their images only and that means no backgrounds. So I had to get used to patterned paper and embossing as other avenues for dressing up the backgrounds.

I still love them, I just can't reach for them as much.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I LOVE my BG stamps! I have all the current SU ones except Ephemera, quite a few retired SU ones, and about 8 CHF ones! ;-o I guess I'm a stampy stamper, but I am getting used to using some patterned paper (esp SU's) on my cards.
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Default stampy stamper here too...

I love my background stamps- but I don't use them as much as I used to.

I definitely fall into the "stampy" stamper category- but I agree with Julie that the card magazines tend to favor the "scrappy" look. They are busier and generally more elaborate. For now I think the trend seems to be in that direction - but I'm sure the pendulum will swing & go the other way at some point.

I know I've started using more patterned paper lately- partly because there seems to be more of it- but also because of the kind of stamps that are popular right now. I've noticed that the new SU! catty doesn't have a lot of stamps that are focal images- one image you stamp & mount to be the main image on the card- the new sets are far more of the coordinating element sets (like lots of different circles, or whatever) so even when you are stamping - the end result looks more like patterned paper. So you either use patterned paper- or you stamp something that uses patterned paper & that kind of look doesn't lend itself too well to many of the background stamps.

I hope we get some nice focal image stamps in the spring/summer catty- where are all of our beautiful 2 step flowers like the old daisy or tulip sets? I miss them. Those sets with a background stamp- very classic- very nice.

I have to give kudos to A-Muse - they don't seem to be following the trend- they are just doing their own thing & coming out with what they like - and thy are smaller- but still focal images. Plus their stamps are just too darned cute for words.

Well - that's my 2 cents.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #67  

I LOVE my background stamps--there is just something about a plain piece of cardstock that cries out for a background (even if it is only Linen). I am also a 'stampy' stamper. The only patterned paper I have is cuz my best friend (and favorite demo) gave me some for my birthday last year....

However, I do have my eye on that Cuttlebug! Come Christmas, it will be MINE!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #68  
Glitter Guru

I love using background stamps, especially linen, I have tried very hard to get into background papers but it is so hard to match the SU stuff, but now that SU is coming out with more bg papers that match the inks and papers I bet it gets easier. I also love using my CB and bg stamps together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #69  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by RynMattsMomView Post
I love my background stamps- but I don't use them as much as I used to.

I definitely fall into the "stampy" stamper category- but I agree with Julie that the card magazines tend to favor the "scrappy" look. They are busier and generally more elaborate. For now I think the trend seems to be in that direction - but I'm sure the pendulum will swing & go the other way at some point.

I know I've started using more patterned paper lately- partly because there seems to be more of it- but also because of the kind of stamps that are popular right now. I've noticed that the new SU! catty doesn't have a lot of stamps that are focal images- one image you stamp & mount to be the main image on the card- the new sets are far more of the coordinating element sets (like lots of different circles, or whatever) so even when you are stamping - the end result looks more like patterned paper. So you either use patterned paper- or you stamp something that uses patterned paper & that kind of look doesn't lend itself too well to many of the background stamps.

I hope we get some nice focal image stamps in the spring/summer catty- where are all of our beautiful 2 step flowers like the old daisy or tulip sets? I miss them. Those sets with a background stamp- very classic- very nice.

I have to give kudos to A-Muse - they don't seem to be following the trend- they are just doing their own thing & coming out with what they like - and thy are smaller- but still focal images. Plus their stamps are just too darned cute for words.

Well - that's my 2 cents.
Linda
I was beginning to wonder if I was imagining the lack of focal images from SU!. Seems like most of their stamps are just parts lately. It's fun to put them together, but I love a good focal image that I can build the card around.

Also, I'm a hybrid stamper. I have 34 backgrounds, countless wheels and a giant pile of designer papers. Sometimes I use a selection of all three on a card at once--wheel over top of a background and combine that with a beautiful piece of DP, add a nice focal image. There's too much great stuff at our disposal not to use it all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #70  
Bunny's SunnyChick

This was the first thing I tried when I got my "bug"...I love the interest it creates.

In my group of friends I am dubbed the BG Queen...I love BG stamps and I "collect" and use them constantly. I don't exclusively use BG stamps...I also enjoy creating my own BG's with stamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71View Post
Hey, use some of those background stamps then run it thru the Cuttlebug. I just got my bug so I haven't tried it yet but I've seen this in the gallery and it looks nice with the right BG.
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #71  
Glitter Guru

I still love all my bg stamps and use them all the time. Some times I think a card or project looks *nakes* w/o any bg stamping. I am going to miss the ones that just retired but I have my eye on a couple in the new catty~some pretty cools one I think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #72  
Glitter Guru

ok...lol

should be *naked*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

I hadn't thought about it until just now, but I haven't been using my BG stamps either. I do love at least 3 new ones and will hopefully get re-inspired to use them again. Alot of mine are retired now though.
Reply With Quote Likes