Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

My Mom and I have an up and down relationship. In the spirit of Christmas last year, I went all out and made her a 50's style Christmas card with a lot of embellishments and it got quite a few compliments from my family and friends before I put it in the envelope to send it out. Well, the holidays come and go and Mom is freezing me out. Not one word about the card. Finally, in January I ask how she liked it. She says, 'What card?'. I later find out that I had accidentally put my old address on it (I used to live directly across the street!) and the guy who bought my house received the card! He kept it all through the holidays and dropped it off with my Mom about mid-January! I don't know what was worse, the fact I sent it to the wrong address, or the jerk who kept it! Agh!!

Last edited by pepperann; 08-03-2014 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
You and DeeAnn are both inspiring for situations well beyond that of cardmaking/crafting. I'm coming to the realization that recently I have been giving far too much thought to other people's opinions than I ever have in my life - and facing certain situations, it can just overshadow otherwise fun times. Life is too short! Letting go of negative situations is a treasure. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Phantom- You are so sweet. You made me cry. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Just had a facepalm moment - DH on the phone to his brother - "We forgot your anniversary" Ugh - no. "we" didn't. "We" had a sick dog. But they still got a pretty card even if I do say so myself, I certainly wouldn't be upset to receive it. :lol: Wonder if they thought the envelope writing was pretty. :lol:
I bet your writing was gorgeous! I hope your furbaby feels better.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I love that everyone is willing to share their awkward moments - and really feel for the OP. Maybe your card was so well done that it never occurred to her that it was handmade.

My family and close friends expect me to use stamps I've illustrated. Anything I show my husband, he says, "Is that yours?" But I did recently make a thank you for my hairdresser because she always does such nice work and I appreciate her talent. I used a Waltzingmouse Stamps set - one of the art deco sets, and it reminded me of her. Plus I just love everything WMS. When I saw her next, she told me how much she liked the card and said "Oh, I told everyone you drew that!" :shock: Uh-oh! I said, umm, nope... that was from another stamp artist and business owner whom I greatly admire. The next time, I'll use one of Claire's copyright stamps! Psst... Claire Brennan... if you're reading this: That was a HUGE compliment!
LOL, you just made my day Nancy!! Hugs!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

So I'm making a New Home card for my MIL who lives 4000 miles away, what could possibly go wrong?! :lol: I'm already predicting it's the wrong color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Does this count? I got off on the wrong foot with my MIL (still am actually) so I tried to kiss up and made her a fancy Christmas card with a lot of embellishments that took A LOT of time and effort. She was offended that I "cheaped out" and gave her "homemade junk" instead of spending money on a store bought card. She did go on and on about the card her adult daughter made for her. ....cue awkward silence...
OMG, are you kidding me? That's awful! Unbelievable how rude and insensitive people can be. Sounds as if she just was looking for an excuse to put you down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #47  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts
Thumbs up

OMG...what remarkable and heart touching stories .....wow.....just makes me want to line people up and smack them like the Three Stooges.whoop whoop whoop whooop I also laughed out loud about the personal time with the highlighter and "she doesnt think you are cute!". LMAO I want to "like" every post!

I stamp the back of my cards with my initials and made it known in the beginning that I was making them...people know. I told them I was practicing on them. Most of the people dont send cards so they are happy they get one of any kind.

Do you guys do that? Put an identifier on them? I am now looking for the right custom "handmade by (me)" stamp. The Stampin Place has a lot of them, just fyi.

Not all Christmas cards have a company name on them. People can be really clueless! Because they are not crafty or talented...their brains dont ever go that way/consider the possibility.

I choose to believe that your cards were SO nice they assumed they were professional ones from the store.

I stick my foot in my mouth so often it's remarkable I am able to walk.

I respect and admire the stories of speaking up and walking out. Good for you!!! At some point you may be forced to be around them like at a wedding. It's enough. We only live once. Dont waste precious time on even thinking about them. It empowers the bad people who are going through their lives without giving us a second thought if we think about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

For the back I use an old fashioned JustRite round stamp block and a small alphabet. It has my blog details around the outside in the tiny alphabet and the year in the middle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Do you guys do that? Put an identifier on them? I am now looking for the right custom "handmade by (me)" stamp. The Stampin Place has a lot of them, just fyi.

I choose to believe that your cards were SO nice they assumed they were professional ones from the store.
I had a very small stamp custom made with my name (1/2" x 1"). It was not expensive, so yes, I do stamp the back of my cards.

Also, when someone tells me they thought my card was store bought, I'm insulted! Store bought cards don't have nearly the personality of a hand made card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #50  
Proud Fan Club Member

Dang. Well that's that then.

Then I take the position that they dont have the sense or grace God gives a tick and you should not give a darn what they think. I agree with the pearls before swine said above.

I dont expect people to keep my cards but I sure as heck dont expect to be insulted over them either.

With so many "hand made" cards being sold now (read hand assembled maybe) people could get confused easily. Huge displays and labels on them saying hand made but you and I know better.

Oooh...dont be insulted Debbie-people mean well with that remark. To them they are saying it is SO good you could sell them! As in, it is better than what they see for sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Back a few years ago, everyone seemed to be using glue dots so I got on the bandwagon and bought a pack that I picked up at the supermarket. I made about 10 of the same Christmas card which was a case of THIS awesome card by Heather Freeman.

I had cut the pieces of cardstock and attached them onto the card base with the glue dots and thought my cards looked great I went over to my nephew's home for Christmas lunch and they opened their card and popped it on their window sill just near where we were eating. They were very appreciative of my card and I just glowed.

Whilst we were eating lunch, all the elements started slipping and by the end of our 2 hour eating marathon, half of them had fallen off. Santa's face looked like he had been punched! The glue dots were NOT strong enough - oops :oops::oops: After lunch, I grabbed the card and tried to re-stick the elements which wasn't very successful as the bits just kept slipping down. It was summer (being in Australia) so the hot weather didn't help.

I wondered how many of my other cards that I had mailed ended up the same way - or maybe the bits fell off in the envelope and the recipients thought it was some sort of WEIRD jigsaw puzzle card! I can kind-of laugh now and put it down to experience with using the right glue!
I had something very similar happen to me! I made my wedding invitations and they were the kind with pockets. I used PTI paper which is super thick, so I made SURE to test my adhesive before sending. Well I dropped them into a post box first thing in the morning when it was COLD out and wouldn't you know, my mom got hers and the pocket had come off! I consoled myself by convincing myself it was just hers. I was so proud of those too. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGooding7View Post
I had something very similar happen to me! I made my wedding invitations and they were the kind with pockets. I used PTI paper which is super thick, so I made SURE to test my adhesive before sending. Well I dropped them into a post box first thing in the morning when it was COLD out and wouldn't you know, my mom got hers and the pocket had come off! I consoled myself by convincing myself it was just hers. I was so proud of those too. lol
It kills me when I watch YouTube videos of DT members and they just use a little bit of adhesive (a dot in each corner sort of thing).

Maybe I use too much but I have had that card fall apart in the recipient's hands in front of my eyes. And I won't even get started on the glue stick mess I sent my cardies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

... they dont have the sense or grace God gives a tick...
I love that saying! I never heard that before and it made me laugh.

Ugh, just reading the ones about the adhesive letting go made me cringe. When I started making cards I was using Tombow/Snail. There must have been a few cards that fell apart before the recipients got them, because I actually watched a card fall apart on my desk that was put together with that stuff. How embarrassing. What's even more frustrating is that I had to go back and re-glue so many scrapbook layouts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

OMG...what remarkable and heart touching stories .....wow.....just makes me want to line people up and smack them like the Three Stooges.whoop whoop whoop whooop I also laughed out loud about the personal time with the highlighter and "she doesnt think you are cute!". LMAO I want to "like" every post!

I stamp the back of my cards with my initials and made it known in the beginning that I was making them...people know. I told them I was practicing on them. Most of the people dont send cards so they are happy they get one of any kind.

Not all Christmas cards have a company name on them. People can be really clueless! Because they are not crafty or talented...their brains dont ever go that way/consider the possibility.

I stick my foot in my mouth so often it's remarkable I am able to walk.

I respect and admire the stories of speaking up and walking out. Good for you!!! At some point you may be forced to be around them like at a wedding. It's enough. We only live once. Dont waste precious time on even thinking about them. It empowers the bad people who are going through their lives without giving us a second thought if we think about them.

I have 2 stamps that I use on the back of my cards.

One is "Cards made by Leslie"

The other says "Better than Hallmark" I have received a few comical remarks about this stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #55  
Proud Fan Club Member

You can insert any critter or item you want in that phrase. (a rock, a stick, etc) My current fav is "Dumb in a can" that I learned this year-and interpret as something so "purely dumb" it could be packaged and sold.

Gee! I saw a stamp like that hallmark one and could not think how I would use it. Never occurred to me to put it on the back! Not "can worthy" but pretty darn silly of me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
It kills me when I watch YouTube videos of DT members and they just use a little bit of adhesive (a dot in each corner sort of thing).

Maybe I use too much but I have had that card fall apart in the recipient's hands in front of my eyes. And I won't even get started on the glue stick mess I sent my cardies!
Add me to the way too much adhesive club. My cards are not falling apart. I even glue the self adhesive rhinestones and pearls to the cards. I won't even get started on Jolee's stickers. The adhesive that falls apart. We have to pay $3-5 for an embellishment that falls apart. Can you tell I had a Jolee's cussing tonight? I made something the other day and used three types of adhesive on it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdelleView Post
Does this count? I got off on the wrong foot with my MIL (still am actually) so I tried to kiss up and made her a fancy Christmas card with a lot of embellishments that took A LOT of time and effort. She was offended that I "cheaped out" and gave her "homemade junk" instead of spending money on a store bought card. She did go on and on about the card her adult daughter made for her. ....cue awkward silence...
For my mom's birthday I gave her 25 of my most beautiful cards, only to have her say, "let's sell them." The previous year I made her Christmas cards and all her response was, "now it's going to cost me extra in postage." I'm never giving her cards to give away again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

So, in the summer where everyone we know (slight exaggeration) moved house. I waited and waited for an address from the MIL to send a card to a family friend close enough to be called "Auntie". As her birthday is today, I was completely confident in redistributing the cards I had made and sending "her" card to another Aunt and the Aunt's card to my SIL (you keeping up?) for her birthday in October. My husband only drops me in it on the phone and tells his mum (THE MIL) that I have a card but no address for "Auntie". :shock:

So now I have an address and need to make a belated card...:rolleyes:... Just when I thought I was on top of things.

On the plus side I remembered I had done an extra sewn background for another card so I am going to rework that as our Auntie used to sew for her living. I think she will like the acknowledgement. She really is a jewel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I just realised I've sent my niece in law (?) her birthday card a month early! She'll think I'm going doolally......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
For my mom's birthday I gave her 25 of my most beautiful cards, only to have her say, "let's sell them." The previous year I made her Christmas cards and all her response was, "now it's going to cost me extra in postage." I'm never giving her cards to give away again.
I'm sure your Mom meant, "These cards are so lovely that I can made a boatload of money selling them." Right?
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes