Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Attending classes,would you. ..?

...continue to go if the price was cheap enough and your friends were all going but it wasn't your style and you weren't actually learning anything.

background: I get together with ladies from my church weekly for bible art journaling. They are all new to art jounaling/mixed media while I've been a stamper for decades and am familiar with the various techniques and mediums used. I already had most of the supplies in my stash in fact. They found a place that has once a month bible art journaling classes for less than $10 that we have been going to. Getting together with people who are less experienced is hard enough, I feel like an outsider sometimes. This is especially true since I've already declined going to other more expensive classes that were teaching things I know how to do. I knew up front that especially at that price I may not learn anything new but decided to go anyway to have fun with my friends and be a part of the group.

Problem 1) We are so far from learning anything. This month's class was a joke. They put 3 dabs of paint on a piece of plastic, handed us an old gift card and a copy of a graphic. Then they told us to scrape the paint onto your page and then draw the picture over the paint once it dries. That was the extent of the learning for this hour and a half class.

2) It's also not my style, AT ALL and unlike a card that I can give to someone who's style it is, these techniques go into a bible to be kept.

3) I plan on giving this bible to my son eventually and made the decision to not cover up the text areas to the point they couldn't be read. Most of the techniques they are teaching are full page and makes reading those pages of the bible unreadable. Unlike a scrap night or something this is a class and I feel obligated to do as I'm instructed even though I don't want to.

4) Don't even get me started on the verse chosen to go the with the graphic we were given. We were all confused and left still scratching our heads wondering what the two had to do with each other. We even took turns reading various versions out loud to each other.

Thanks for reading, I needed to vent and get it out while I ponder whether it's worth going each month or not.

What do you think, what would you do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe going you might learn something new. If it would not be usable ...do your own thing. See if you can take their way of doing things and turn it into yours. Be with your friends. But the real reason I craft is to have fun. I have gone to many classes where I could have taught it. But I went :
(A.) To be with my friends.
(B.) I always learn something new. How to store something or use a tool I don't have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I never go to classes, and seldom join any kind of group activity - the notable exception being when I can get together with Amber (sprtchick) and her stampy friends. I've been so frustrated so many times for exactly the reasons you mention, plus I'm not a fan of hauling stuff around. If you enjoy the company of the others attending then it may be worth it to show up and do your own thing, as suggested. If not, there are better ways to spend $10 and an hour and a half...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like the time with your friends, go. Listen to the technique taught (or not, lol!), but then do your own thing in your own way. It's a creative activity- there is no wrong or right, just have fun.

If the whole thing is just so irritating it's not fun, don't go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe you could have a stamping get together of your own. Invite your friends over to make a few cards or do pages on the bible that they haven't done. I would have a hard time going to a class that you described even to e with friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I was going to suggest what Kilroy did. I wouldn't keep going to a class that I wasn't enjoying. Are your other friends enjoying it? I would have my own get-together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with Sue, I don't really do classes. I'll go watch a demo once in a while, and I want to do a workshop when the lady I know next does her MM canvas, but thats it. I definitely could not sit through a class like you describe. Once would be it for me. And I'm afraid I'd be blunt when asked why I wasn't attending any more. I do think Kilroy has a great suggestion, if thats do-able for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's important to you to be with your friends, how about bringing a different, inexpensive bible? Then covering pages wouldn't matter. And maybe something would inspire you - a color scheme, a technique you haven't visited in years, or adding complexity to an uber-simple technique.

If being with the group doesn't matter, and if you don't enjoy or it isn't appropriate to take on a helping role, and assuming there wouldn't be too much fallout, it might be time to pass.

I hope you let us know what you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I wouldnt go. Ok, it isnt a ton of money....and you are seeing these people the three other weeks of the month. Your time is worth something, and your peace of mind is worth more. What you described IMHO is you are paying to get aggravated. Um, no thanks. I can get aggravated at home for free. LOL

How about this--Do any of you have a laptop? Bring it to the weekly meeting and everyone watch a bible art class online and play. Then you have no guilt either about doing it however you want to-more advanced, not over the text, etc. without feeling like you are misbehaving in class. Sandy Allnock does a class for example.

What are you doing the other three weeks? Given your level of experience...is there really stuff for you to learn? I'm being serious. Many things today are just variations/riffs off older techniques. I dont know anything about bible art though.

Would you be interested in maybe teaching them after you watch a vid-you might well get it much faster than they will as beginners. Not every time, but once a month? Maybe you guys could take turns doing that if it simple enough. You will probably know it already and can back them up if they stumble. You might not learn anything on their turns, but you wont be paying for it either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No one says you **have** to follow teacher's instructions exactly ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 07-26-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I love classes! I love getting together with my friends. This class sounds like a DUD! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't continue! I'm fairly flexible and will attend even if it's not my style ( I went to one group like that for awhile), but this class you described sounds painful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm with Allistamps123. I do love getting together in groups. I like learning new things. But I can't see paying out money for something you're obviously asking yourself "Why do it?". Lots of good suggestions here. I'd try something else.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

oops...I should have said I have done classes and would again...just not the kind you described Stacy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently faced with almost the exact situation!!!! I'm saving my $10 and staying home. Love my ladies and I will see them another time. I wished them well and said I can't wait for them to share what they have learned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, y'all are the best.

Like I said we already get together regularly. We all have Pinterest, Youtube, etc and are always talking about the various people and techniques we have found online. This class was a chance to get out and do something different together besides lunch.

I have never had a problem with tweaking a project to make it my own, I'm one of those people that irritate some demonstrators because I don't follow instructions to the letter. The problem was in not wanting to do the class at all and not being prepared to work on something else. I didn't bring supplies of my own because I thought I'd be using their supplies.

I have shown the group how to do stuff often, we even had a very basic color wheel discussion a couple of times. I really wish this class had done that, several participants ended up with brown, a.k.a. mud pages. Still can't believe they would ask a group to use heavy body acrylic paints without any instruction at all.

I don't want to buy a second bible but when I read your comment it occurred to me that I could take my regular art Journal instead of my bible to the class if I decide to go again, thank you.

I guess I was mostly looking to give myself permission to either not go at all or to do my own thing while I'm there. Thanks for the confirmation that it would be okay to do either one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Great that you reached a resolution. : )

There was a response to this thread (via email) that I don't see now, but I thought it made a good point about showing respect to instructors. Having both taught and trained - though not crafts/art! - it was fine and even enjoyable in some types of workshops/classes when a student went off on an inspired tangent. In others it wouldn't have been appreciated. Perhaps gauging who your teacher is, or possibly touching base may be useful. Who knows, maybe she'd even want you to jump in.

Just my take though. Ignoring me works. ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

you sound very stressed about this class, I say quit, life is too short to waste time in a class you do not enjoy. I am sure you could find other ways of getting together with your friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 05:13 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Great that you reached a resolution. : )

There was a response to this thread (via email) that I don't see now, but I thought it made a good point about showing respect to instructors. Having both taught and trained - though not crafts/art! - it was fine and even enjoyable in some types of workshops/classes when a student went off on an inspired tangent. In others it wouldn't have been appreciated. Perhaps gauging who your teacher is, or possibly touching base may be useful. Who knows, maybe she'd even want you to jump in.

Just my take though. Ignoring me works. ; )
I edited one of my posts that said something very similar. As a teacher (of technology, English, scrapbooking, stamping, beading, etc.), I would find it very disrespectful if someone came to my class and just completely did his/her own thing. I always encourage artistic interpretation in classes where that would be appropriate. However, to come to a class and start watching videos and teaching others how to do different techniques would be rude, in my opinion. Although I always tell my scrapping/stamping/beading students to personalize the project, I still expect them to follow the general guidelines.

If the class is unpleasant and you aren't enjoying it, by all means speak to the instructor and/or stop attending. To me, that would be the best route to take in this situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Attending classes, would you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
No one says you **have** to follow teacher's instructions exactly ;-)
Exactly! When I teach I always show the card we will be making, and then show them how they can take that card further when they Make the next card. This way it shows how to get more use of your tools as well. I always tell them as a teacher, my main objective is to inspire them and encourage them with their card making.

I love to see them taking an idea and expanding on it, making it a truly original card. It Is an amazing process to see how their creativity comes out when they fly on their own wings so to speak.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default you don't have to drag much over here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I never go to classes, and seldom join any kind of group activity - the notable exception being when I can get together with Amber (sprtchick) and her stampy friends. I've been so frustrated so many times for exactly the reasons you mention, plus I'm not a fan of hauling stuff around. If you enjoy the company of the others attending then it may be worth it to show up and do your own thing, as suggested. If not, there are better ways to spend $10 and an hour and a half...
I got you covered!

Hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

To those who have taught classes and are concerned, I hear what you are saying I was a convention demonstrator for years. If you are going to teach though then you need to actually do so and give at least some basic instruction, including: telling everyone what the product is, how it will usually react and most importantly basic cautions.

This is not a class done on cardstock that can be thrown away if the student doesn't like the results. It is going directly into the student's bible and cannot be undone and as the teacher of the class they have an obligation to keep that I mind. Simply putting three globs of paint side by side onto a piece of plastic and then saying, "Now pick up all three colors at the same time and scrap them onto the page. Have fun creating patterns by going in different directions such as up/down then across or in circles" does not a class make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

The teachers I take classes from provide detailed instructions, work closely with students, and teach material with substance. The classes take from two hours (mixed media art journal) to two days. A lot of time, prep and energy go into them. What you describe doesn't resemble that.

Since the "class" provides frustration with no enjoyment, it sounds like a waste of your free time.

My take that a teacher/trainer deserves respect is ingrained; if I don't like a teacher's style or class content, I can vote with my feet and wallet. It's like techniques; some stick, some don't, no harm, no foul.

Just my take though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

BTW, I was taught to want and incorporate feedback, and to solicit participant input. So I provide it when appropriate. Many times it's more of a "I tried this, not for me," but it's not as if I put teachers on a pedestal and think students are wrong. No way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

I dont think anyone was suggesting that...I wasnt. I was saying skip the class and do your own class with the friends in the usual weekly location. I hope it didnt sound that way! Good gosh no!

There is going off on a little rif and being openly rude to a teacher.

Stacy has a good point though about working with non-disposables like bibles. Different ballgame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Not at all! : )

I just thought the paragraph where I said that respect was ingrained might sound a little brownie-ish so was clarifying. Or not! lol

I agree with you - why go if it doesn't add a real positive.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-29-2016 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: smilie showed up as question marks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

No hurt feeling anywhere, just a good old fashion conversation around the kitchen table ;)

I already know I won't be going next time as I'm not interested in paying to learn the technique being done. No one in my group was happy with their page this time so I'm am not sure anyone will return, we'll see only time will tell....

...but probably not me.

Ya'll were right life is too short for that kind of frustration. Off to play with acrylics in my bible so I can show them they can turn out nice if you know what to do and not do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Good metaphor.

It's an election year, right? Vote stampin stacy for teacher! Slogan: Let's actually learn something!

(For any Washington Nats fans, it would be "Let's make techniques fun again.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
The teachers I take classes from provide detailed instructions, work closely with students, and teach material with substance. The classes take from two hours (mixed media art journal) to two days. A lot of time, prep and energy go into them. What you describe doesn't resemble that.

Since the "class" provides frustration with no enjoyment, it sounds like a waste of your free time.

My take that a teacher/trainer deserves respect is ingrained; if I don't like a teacher's style or class content, I can vote with my feet and wallet. It's like techniques; some stick, some don't, no harm, no foul.

Just my take though.
I wonder if some of the "teachers" would like feedback before people vote with their feet and wallets. Have been to (many) classes where the teacher hovers over you, and if you don't make your card exactly like the one they did, they or someone in the class call you out. Super annoying. I stopped going. Really? So I took the exact supplies you gave me and created an off shoot of your example. Who cares. Life is short. BTW. Looking for classes where everything isn't uptight and exact. Can't find right now. Voted with me feet. I know lots of others who do the exact same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

One the big benefits to online classes. No one can see what you are doing! LOL!

I vote for Stacy as teacher!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
One the big benefits to online classes. No one can see what you are doing! LOL!

I vote for Stacy as teacher!
Will' look at online classes. Any specific links you recommend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't pay to go to class if I wasn't learning anything. I know none of my stamping friends would either. i would suggest getting together for free somewhere and doing your own thing. but the downside with that is if it's not a "scheduled" time and place it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

bjeans, you cracked me up and it was perfect timing too. I was just reading the monthly college email including spring commencement info which I will be having a kiddo participating in, where are the tissues - lol.

Helicopter is exactly how I felt. I scraped some paint onto the margin which took all of a few seconds and was waiting for more instruction, it never came. The lady giving the class kept walking by looking at my page and then at me with a look that said, "why are you just sitting there". So I caved and spread more paint onto the page and immediately regretted it, ugh. Anything I did after that turned out bad because I was no longer in a creative mind set. I felt pressured, frustrated and ticked off instead, it will probably be a while before I can work on that page again and try to make it better. Frustration seeps back in every time I think about it still.

So should I change my signature line to say; Stacy for president, uhh I mean teacher?:lol: Honestly the teaching stuff is another whole discussion/thread. Sometimes it is well received and sometimes not so much. Ya'll know the story, there's the "I feel threatened", "I'm intimated" or a not so fav of mine "I'm jealous". Doing something and then showing them how if they want seems to be the best way to go instead of an actual how to class. I didn't start the group, don't want to take over and don't want anyone to feel like I'm taking over, KWIM.

Later, time for church...
Reply With Quote Likes