Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2024, 09:07 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up Article: Millennials Love Greeting Cards!

Just ran across this yesterday -- Here's a piece discussing the Millennial trend away from eCards
[Warning: Some impolite language/cursing.]

The short version: Despite general industry-wide decline in greeting cards, Millennials are apparently really into them. And not the cheap $2 ones; they're loving the fancier $7 & up (from the big companies), and especially loving "boutique" cards, with unique or sarcastic sentiments.

The eternal optimist in me is thinking, "Excellent! If younger folks like sending cards, then maybe we'll eventually see a surge in hobby cardmaking!"

I must say, though, that I winced whenever profit margin was touched upon. The journalist only gathered info for the big companies who print/assemble their cards overseas, which is obviously waaaay too low (starting at $0.20!) compared to the handmade boutique cards made locally. The price of a single sheet of designer paper would've been a great addition to the article, just to let consumers know that anything less than $50 for a handmade card was the artist giving the card away.

Oh! And everyone involved in cardmaking is a sweetheart:

LLanso has been in this business for 16 years and says that 99.9 percent of people in it are really nice. "Think about it: why would you get into a business that creates and sells a product that’s all about saying thank you, I’m sorry or congratulations, and be [a jerk]*? I can count on one hand among the thousands of people in this industry that I don’t like. Most of them are gone already. They say, ‘Oh, these people are too nice!’ "
[ODD's edit of curse word]*

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 13 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
123scrap (03-13-2024), barbfarmd (03-13-2024), DancesWithHooves (03-12-2024), fl_beachbum (03-12-2024), gregzgurl (03-11-2024), hoptownracer1 (03-12-2024), MangieB (03-13-2024), pepperann (03-11-2024), Rebali (03-13-2024), Springpatchlady (03-12-2024), valwync (03-11-2024), wavejumper (03-13-2024), whim6915 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 04:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting reading - thanks for sharing!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
OneDevotedDame (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 03:32 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 462 Likes on 308 Posts

This is awesome - thank you for sharing!
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (03-12-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 02:12 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, I know that my Millennial daughter and son-in-love and their friends LOVE receiving my cards. And the cards my daughter gives to us are incredibly thoughtful and well picked out. Plus she always writes a long note. There might be something to that article, but as far as them wanting to do what we do, hmmmm, maybe later on in their lives! They are too busy having experiences, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by 123scrap:
barbfarmd (03-13-2024), Beverly 1939 (03-22-2024), cjzim (03-14-2024), hoptownracer1 (03-15-2024), NinaBeth (03-13-2024), OneDevotedDame (03-13-2024), Paula in GA (03-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:04 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
They are too busy having experiences, lol.
This is one of the reasons I settled on cardmaking; no matter how busy I am, I can do it in tiny bits, whenever I grab a few minutes. It's really one of those things people -- especially moms of littles -- can do whenever, whether they have 5 minutes or 5 hours to play.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
hoptownracer1 (03-15-2024), NinaBeth (03-13-2024), StephanieJager (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 11:56 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

That was interesting thanks . I can say when I had a box out to sell...the seniors looked at them, said they were pretty but they buy the 2 dollar ones due to their economics. Younger people looked at them seriously to buy. But honestly the seniors did not buy anything except maybe books. They are busy purging everything lol.

The thing about Papyrus going under is that they sold expensive cards-like what we might hope to get-7-10 dollars. I used to hit them up for sale stuff post holidays.

It aggravates me what Hallmark calls "Handmade" bc they are not. They might be hand ASSEMBLED...they are all machined pieces maybe somebody glued together but no one was cutting out a card base and going from there.

LOL on the DP costs. So true.

That was something Jennifer McGuire had said a few years back...she makes little travel kits to take with her to kid's baseball games or whatever and colors sitting in the bleachers (or sews). People color all the time watching tv etc. It is flexible that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
gobarb26 (04-15-2024), hoptownracer1 (03-15-2024), OneDevotedDame (03-13-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:47 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Interesting article; thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:53 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I can say when I had a box out to sell...the seniors looked at them, said they were pretty but they buy the 2 dollar ones due to their economics. Younger people looked at them seriously to buy.
I was hoping that some of y'all who sell cards would chime in, and share your experiences with this phenomenon, thank you!

Quote:

It aggravates me what Hallmark calls "Handmade" bc they are not. They might be hand ASSEMBLED...they are all machined pieces maybe somebody glued together but no one was cutting out a card base and going from there.
Oh my gosh, a resounding, "YES!" I think Hallmark's "handmade" means someone slid a ribbon onto the front flap of a 100% machine printed/folded card.

Quote:

That was something Jennifer McGuire had said a few years back...she makes little travel kits to take with her to kid's baseball games or whatever and colors sitting in the bleachers (or sews). People color all the time watching tv etc. It is flexible that way.
It really is!

I tried for *years* to find something I could do in little spurts here and there. Took me more than half a dozen babies to land on cardmaking. It's so nice -- I can grab a sheet of cardstock, score it down the center (6" & A9 are my favorite sizes), and if a kid comes in the room bleeding, I can slide my score board in its home real quick and tend to the injury. Every card I make follows that same rough process (I don't typically have blood involved, though, lol)... Do 30 seconds to 5 minutes worth of work, put away (or quickly snap lids back on), and run off. Come back the next day, do something really quick, continue on with caretaking, etc.

It's gonna be awesome, one day, when I can actually play for like an hour or two!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
hoptownracer1 (03-15-2024), whim6915 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:24 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

This is interesting. I've been making my own greeting cards (calling them handcrafted or even handmade and NOT homemade for probably 50 years now - I'm 73), Started out using just construction paper, making the 'slimline' cards because they fit in a regular envelope. I'd do counted cross stitch on unbleached muslin, and glue it onto the card. Then, I added needle punch cards, also on muslin. In about 1993 my 'at the time' boyfriend (later husband) and I were at a mall and came across a booth demonstrating blocked rubber stamps, using them and cardstock for cards. Got hooked . He bought me all the supplies needed, a handful of stamps, i embossing powder and heat gun, ink pads.. the works. After we married he said he did it to impress me - he sure did. We were wed 21 1/2 years before losing him to cancer... anyway.. I've always kept up with my card making because it has been my passion. In 2007 I was asked if I'd sent cards out to our church congregation. Been doing it ever since... I was just asked if I'd do all the cards for a womans group I just joined - but turned it down because my card ministry has really expanded. There are only about 35 women in this group, mostly elderly - and I almost gave in to agree to take it on. BUT, I decided to sit down and count the cards I send - this is an estimate, but real close to the numbers: in a year, my personal cards amount to about 90 - NOT included 60-70 for Christmas, and about 25 for Easter and Thanksgiving., plus about 10 each for Mothers Day and Fathers Day. Then I mail out about 125 for church people, not counting sympathy and get well. Add to that, I'm a member of Teapot Tuesday and Love Notes Fairies. I was sending to Cards for Cause, by only a few times a year, sending 25 for whichever group I chose and had time for... I don't sell my cards, but on the occasion someone asks for a special card, they usually donate $5. which I put in our Care Jar at church. In the beginning, the church paid for my stamps, and I did purchase religious cards from a Christian Book Store, but after a couple of years I just started making my own cards and I pay for the supplies and stamps myself as my 'gift' to my church. when I took a count and wrote it down, I was shocked I send so many, but I know others do the same - I've seen crafters send 100 cards at a time to Cards for a Cause.. To me, it fills in my time, gives me peace of mind, and I know how much people enjoy receiving happy mail. A lot of people have told me they've kept all the cards I've ever sent to them. I've told them they could cut off the front and glue it to another piece of cardstock and reuse it - but they don't want to destroy the cards. Nice compliment ! I keep saying with the cost of postage going up all the time I'll cut back... but I feel my craft is a gift from the Spirit ... and I will continue sending happy mail as long as I can..

Thanks for starting this thread !!

Happy Crafting,
Mac
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by mac4551:
cnsteele (03-17-2024), desertdeb (03-18-2024), fl_beachbum (03-28-2024), gobarb26 (04-15-2024), hoptownracer1 (03-15-2024), hultenlk (03-24-2024), OneDevotedDame (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 07:52 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
This is interesting. I've been making my own greeting cards (calling them handcrafted or even handmade and NOT homemade for probably 50 years now - I'm 73),
Isn't it kind of a shame that "homemade" has negative connotations? I avoid that phrase, too. :-/

Quote:

Started out using just construction paper, making the 'slimline' cards because they fit in a regular envelope.
Ahead of your time!!! I love it!

Quote:

I'd do counted cross stitch on unbleached muslin, and glue it onto the card. Then, I added needle punch cards, also on muslin. In about 1993 my 'at the time' boyfriend (later husband) and I were at a mall and came across a booth demonstrating blocked rubber stamps, using them and cardstock for cards. Got hooked . He bought me all the supplies needed, a handful of stamps, i embossing powder and heat gun, ink pads.. the works. After we married he said he did it to impress me - he sure did. We were wed 21 1/2 years before losing him to cancer... anyway..
It sounds like y'all were such a blessing to each other.

Quote:

I've always kept up with my card making because it has been my passion. [....] I decided to sit down and count the cards I send - this is an estimate, but real close to the numbers: in a year, my personal cards amount to about 90 - NOT included 60-70 for Christmas, and about 25 for Easter and Thanksgiving., plus about 10 each for Mothers Day and Fathers Day. Then I mail out about 125 for church people, not counting sympathy and get well. Add to that, I'm a member of Teapot Tuesday and Love Notes Fairies. I was sending to Cards for Cause, by only a few times a year, sending 25 for whichever group I chose and had time for...
My head is spinning, thinking of all the cards you make!!! That is crazy amazing!

Quote:

In the beginning, the church paid for my stamps, and I did purchase religious cards from a Christian Book Store, but after a couple of years I just started making my own cards and I pay for the supplies and stamps myself as my 'gift' to my church.
In my faith, we define a parishioner's "tithe" as giving their "time/talent/treasure." Your cards count as tithing for sure.

Quote:

A lot of people have told me they've kept all the cards I've ever sent to them. I've told them they could cut off the front and glue it to another piece of cardstock and reuse it - but they don't want to destroy the cards. Nice compliment !
When I first started this hobby, I thought, "And hey, if folks don't want to keep the cards, at least they'll naturally recycle themselves back into dirt, eventually...." I was surprised that so many people keep the cards. I have friends who display them, too (mostly Sympathy/In Memory type cards).

Quote:

but I feel my craft is a gift from the Spirit
It most certainly is! In my faith tradition, one of the Spiritual Works of Mercy is comforting the sorrowful, which is *exactly* what cards do. Definitely a gift. No doubt about it.

Quote:

Thanks for starting this thread !!
Ohmygoodness, thank YOU for replying to it! I loved reading your post.
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (04-15-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 03:47 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

OneDevotedDame - thank you for your detailed reply ! Our church feels a tithe is the 10% returning to the Lord, and anything above that is considered a "gift" to honor Him... I like your description: In my faith, we define a parishioner's "tithe" as giving their "time/talent/treasure." Sounds like both are the perfect love offerings..

Sending Hugs !
Mac
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mac4551:
gobarb26 (04-15-2024), OneDevotedDame (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:37 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

My sister, who has recently passed, saved the cards I sent even though she always wanted me to make her some to send (which I did and also told her how to resend them). Many she framed, either separately or as a collage and put out for the holiday/time of year appropriate. Her daughter (and her daughter) now have them and she sends me pictures of them displayed in her home, and has even framed more of them that were still single. I can't tell you how much it means to me that something I made nearly 30 years ago is being enjoyed by, not only the people I sent them to, but generations that follow. I get such joy in creating cards, additional joy in giving away a part of me and the ultimate joy of hearing (sometimes) how much it is appreciated. What more can I ask of a hobby?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
Beverly 1939 (03-22-2024), desertdeb (03-18-2024), gobarb26 (04-15-2024), hultenlk (03-24-2024), OneDevotedDame (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:18 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
My sister, who has recently passed, saved the cards I sent even though she always wanted me to make her some to send (which I did and also told her how to resend them). Many she framed, either separately or as a collage and put out for the holiday/time of year appropriate.
Hugs

So sweet that she framed your cards!

Quote:

Her daughter (and her daughter) now have them and she sends me pictures of them displayed in her home, and has even framed more of them that were still single. I can't tell you how much it means to me that something I made nearly 30 years ago is being enjoyed by, not only the people I sent them to, but generations that follow. I get such joy in creating cards, additional joy in giving away a part of me and the ultimate joy of hearing (sometimes) how much it is appreciated. What more can I ask of a hobby?
This is so beautiful. I would be thrilled if any of my cards were passed down through the generations. What an amazing feeling.

Oh, which begs the question -- How is it best to store them? Are there special page protectors that open up or something, so that cards can be stored folded and then opened up without removing them from the protector? Does anyone know...?

I'm actually really interested in a view-able storage option like that, because I have a relative who keeps my cards and looks at/reads them all the time. I was hoping to find something that would protect them but allow easy access (she's 91).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2024, 02:24 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Those cards that I store to be used for display throughout the year are kept in plastic pockets designed for photos. I take them out and either put them on our entry table or arrange them in the holder my husband built me years ago. The plastic holders are for storage and really are used for viewing in the pockets while closed. However, they make full page "pockets" that the cards can be slipped into opened up so from one side of the page the card's outside can be viewed and when flipped over the inside can be viewed for reading the message. The company is Century Plastics. There are a variety of shapes and sizes. They may have something you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (03-18-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 01:25 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

However, they make full page "pockets" that the cards can be slipped into opened up so from one side of the page the card's outside can be viewed and when flipped over the inside can be viewed for reading the message. The company is Century Plastics. There are a variety of shapes and sizes. They may have something you want.
I found a website for Century Photo; lots of album stuff!

I did finally figure out that what I want are basically "card jackets/wallets" that can be put into a binder or album. So card jackets/wallets with the hole punch strip on the left side. Not even sure if those exist, lol. Gotta keep lookin'....

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 03-19-2024 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: added term
Reply With Quote Likes