Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arrrrrgh. Arrrrrgggghhhh1!1!

Using one of my favorite alphabet sets to make one of my final cards for the HYCCT challenge (Stampin' Up Designer Typeset) and while I'm taking the sheet of tiny letters out of the package, a vowel goes flinging off the sheet.

I feel it hit the top of my slipper so I stay still and pat the floor all around me. I gently gather up all the paper trimmings on my unswept floor into a tiny pile and pat those as well. I move my rolling file carts under my table and pat under those. I move my chair back and scan every centimeter of the hardwood floor in a 3-foot radius. I noticed the sole of my slipper has a crack in it and even checked in there!

Half an hour later, nothing. How far could it have gone?! These letters are 1/4 inch high and clear :shock: I found myself not using the set because the little letters were so hard to keep track of, but I thought that was ridiculous because I liked it so much, so I decided to start using it. :rolleyes:

I did find the little center of a flower stamp set that I was missing, and the plastic plug for the handle of my Big Shot, and earlier in the evening I temporarily lost the tiny butterfly body stamp from the Watercolor Wings butterfly set. And then I found it before I had a meltdown. So can this little "I" be far behind?

I think the Buddhists say everything breakable is already broken, and maybe everything "loseable" is already lost. But I'm still so mad about it :-(:confused:

Last edited by poppydarling; 10-30-2015 at 10:24 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I have been where you are.

There was the time I was opening a set of dies and I heard the faint tinny metallic sound of one hitting the floor. I never found it. SU! was good enough to send me a whole new set. Some day I'll find it probably but who knows when.

There was the time recently when I had made a card with Jingle All the Way and had borrowed the tiny snowflake from Among the Branches. Two weeks later, I realize that that tiny snowflake had not made it back into the box. I looked all over my table and around on the floor underneath. I finally gently swept the floor and picked through the dustpan and by great good luck, I came across the stamp.

Did you check the bottom of your shoe? Otherwise, I would try gently sweeping the floor and seeing if you manage to sweep it up.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

One time I searched for the little "You and moi? Ooh-la-la!" sentiment from that set (which was the whole reason I even bought it!) for TWO HOURS with no success. After I'd given up hope and gone back to my project, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye - somehow that little unmounted, sticky-back stamp had hitched a ride on the ends of my hair! At least I found it... ;) Oh - hope your "i" turns up, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I think most of us feel with you!! I've yet to lose a clear stamp permanently, but I've been missing a teeny rubber stamp with three musical notes for the last year and a half. I haven't given up hope... I lost the "thank ewe" sentiment from Pun Fun. Looked everywhere, time and again...and about three years later, I found it downstairs in one of the laundry baskets. Who knows where it had been travelling all that time!!! Jan's suggestion of checking the sole of your slipper ( and other things it could have stuck to) is a good one. Plus, enlarge your sphere of searching. It amazes me how far something so small and light can bounce. I learned this lesson from DH who once found a stamp for me after I'd given up, simply by looking further from my desk than I would have thought necessary or even possible for it to be.
Hope you find yours!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 01:16 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

0We need one of those "find your keys"-like locator for our stamps. I used my brand new Vintage Leaves set and when I was ready to put it away, I realized that the sawtoothed leaf was missing. A month or two later, it still hasn't turned up.

Meanwhile, I found the "Thankful.." stamp from Thankful Forest Friends stuck to one of the page protectors where I store my CS scraps. The CS was back on my paper shelf when I happened to pull out whatever color it was to use. I hadn't even realized the stamp was missing so that was pure luck.

These aren't small stamps and the "Thankful..." stamp isn't even a clear stamp. I need to be more careful, I think.

Oh, I just remembered that I lost the letter "A" from one of the first photopolymer alphabets. That's been a few years now and it's never turned up. I was able to use the "V" instead for whatever I was working on at the time. Now those were some tiny stamps. I feel your pain.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 04:56 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once I lost my glasses. I need glasses to drive, watch TV, etc. Searched the entire house for DAYS. Had to wear my prescription sunglasses to drive (in winter, in the dark...). Finally went to Pearle Vision and bought a new pair of prescription glasses. Three years later I found them. In with the ribbon rolls on the shelf in my craft room. Shows how much I use ribbon these days I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I refuse to vacuum my craft room floor until I find the missing piece from the Sprinkles of Life set so I understand how you are feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Been there...done that! Just recently as a matter of fact! I got a new die from Creative Expressions that is 2 1/2 x 4 a couple of weeks ago and opened the package for the first use! The end of my sweater caught it and I heard it hit the floor. Immediately I bent to pick it up and.....it was nowhere to be found! I spent two days searching/sifting the garbage pail (twice)/ cleaning off my workspace completely (which is an 8 foot table) but not a sign of the offending die!!! I decided to give myself a rest ..don't get stressed out..forget about it...it will show up..relax! Fast forward two weeks ..Now, I use my Martha Stewart mini score board about 80 times a day. It is always in the same place on my table top. The other day I was creating and reached for the board. That &*^%$ die was sitting there just as bold as you please in plain sight! I know I looked there at least 4 times and I made Mr Noofy check the table too ..so where did it come from? I think my studio has a ghost but I certainly DO NOT appreciate it's sense of humour! Making me crazy ..or crazier than usual.. is not my idea of fun! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I'm laughing so hard at all the stories, but only in solidarity. So ridiculous! Thank you for cheering me up. I seem to lose things especially when I'm being especially careful. I actually encouraged my cat Gilly to bat things around in my craft room this morning out of desperation which tells you that today is a very chilly day in hell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Last year I lost a PP stamp - I searched and searched, did some trash diving, and still no stamp. I sold the set at a discount because of the missing stamp then one day I saw it laying in the middle of the walkway by my desk. I know it wasn't there because I had vacuumed but there it was like if fell from the ceiling. I decided it must have been stuck to the bottom of something but then again the stamping goddess has a sick sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Oh I KNOW!! and how come it can't be a letter rarely needed... but a vowel! Of course. I mean I could probably spare the Z. But then seeing as I don't use it, it won't be the one I am prying off the sheet that flies across the great unknown.

I hope you find it, do let us know where it gets to when you do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

I know! I feel your frustration. Happens to me all the time and as another poster said....it is amazing how far something can "bounce". Hoping your piece turns up soon.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I leave my Misti on the table... its magnetic... ( think about that one for one moment) :mrgreen:

ask me how many times I have lost my sole magnet I bought for it or found dies stuck to it...

I hope you find that stamp soon.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

I just don't know how I can look in the same place four times and find it there on the fifth? How does that happen?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel everyone's pain! This isn't about a stamp, but a similar story about my Engagement Ring years ago.

I was lying in bed, and decided to take my wedding rings off, and put on some hand lotion before sleep. I reached to put the rings on my night stand, and heard one of them drop. I finished with the lotion, and didn't look for the ring right then, as I was sleepy.

Next morning, bright light of day. I looked, and looked. Moved the night stand, used a flashlight and crawled on the floor. Took all the sheets off the bed, looked and looked some more. Nothing. I looked for weeks and never found the ring. I was distraught and disturbed.

A couple of months later, a friend called, and said, "I am bringing you a surprise and I'll be right over."

She showed up with my engagement ring in her hand. I had passed along to her some paperback books that were on the bottom shelf of my night stand. In the middle of one of the books, she had found my ring!

Never give up.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

Unbelievable how a ring can get into a paperback book!!! So glad your story has a happy ending!

Shril
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I, too, feel your pain. I lost a letter "I" die at a crop and never found it. I also lost a "." to a CTMH alphabet stamp set and never found that either. At least I can just add a dot with a black pen if I'm using the stamp set, but I will have to surgically alter another letter to replace the "I" if I'm using the die set. And it was the first time I had used that set too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Oh no. Move over on the bench for another one. The only reason it hasnt happened yet today is I havent really done anything yet. Here, have a hot chocolate with HM mini marshmallows. I know how totally crazy making it is. ((hugs))

Along with knocking stuff over, I do this 20 times a day with everything in my life (dont ask me how in an apt) Once upon a time I was fast enough to catch falling stuff. Haha. Try that now and I wont stand straight for a week.

As for bouncing, I am convinced falling items in my place have a competition going for who can go the farthest-flying, rolling, whatever. More than one is bonus points. Size is immaterial. Right now 10 feet seems to be the record and only bc there was a wall. I have seen things roll on their thin edge for feet...I will put my head down on the floor to sight along it, feel around like a blind mole...tg DH is good about looking for me. Patterned rugs? Lovely to hide dirt and everything else.

Sue you cracked me up with in your hair. On my built in "shelf" (aka chest) is not uncommon, including down into the bra. That's a good day. I dont have to bend and crawl.

I dont vaccum in my craft space. I swiffer and bona mop. It's linoleum tile. Roombas are personae non grata around here.

I dont even want to say how many things I have found I didnt even know were missing. Side effect of shiney penny syndrome...or being hyper focused. (Yeah sure-I wish)

I am so glad you got your ring back Bugga. I havent yet. Yes...my engagement went MIA too. Been years now. I hold out hope. The store is long gone. It was not expensive but you know...it just was not where I keep it. No idea. Nobody here to steal it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

One time I missed a sentiment stamp...and it bugged me to no end, because I wanted to use it! Weeks and weeks later I pulled a paper pack...wrapped in plastic...out of its storage drawer and found the stamp on the bottom. I must have put the paper on top of the stamp on the desktop, then it went for a ride when I picked the paper up and put it away.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Glad to see it's not just me. I was getting worried. Told my sister I needed to be tested for dementia.

I am so careful with stamps because they walk off. I put them away as soon as I'm done with them because they pull a prison break every time. Last week I looked all over for a long, narrow sentiment stamp I just had on the Misti. Could not find that thing anywhere and I was wondering about my mental faculties when I see the kitten trying to lick the back of his neck - and there was the clear stamp. Somehow I had knocked it off the table and it landed right on the back of the cat's neck as he walked by.

I have all my metal dies on magnetic sheets and they hang on the wall, the door (steel door), the side panel windows on the sides of the doors (in steel frames) - yea, I gotta get a grip on my Spellbinder addiction. There is so much magnetized real estate around me that sometimes I feel my fillings ache... When a die drops, you would think it would get sucked onto some of these surfaces - but no. It hits the tile floor, bounces erratically like a Dog Kong, then it's a race to see who finds it first - me or the cats.

I feel for you. It is so frustrating to have something in your hand and then it takes off right when you really need to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Last week I looked all over for a long, narrow sentiment stamp I just had on the Misti. Could not find that thing anywhere and I was wondering about my mental faculties when I see the kitten trying to lick the back of his neck - and there was the clear stamp. Somehow I had knocked it off the table and it landed right on the back of the cat's neck as he walked by.

When a die drops, you would think it would get sucked onto some of these surfaces - but no. It hits the tile floor, bounces erratically like a Dog Kong, then it's a race to see who finds it first - me or the cats.
Oh me, I'm laughing so hard right now I'm crying. That cat must've been so pissed! Ahahahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
As for bouncing, I am convinced falling items in my place have a competition going for who can go the farthest-flying, rolling, whatever. More than one is bonus points. Size is immaterial. Right now 10 feet seems to be the record and only bc there was a wall. I have seen things roll on their thin edge for feet...I will put my head down on the floor to sight along it, feel around like a blind mole...tg DH is good about looking for me. Patterned rugs? Lovely to hide dirt and everything else.
Yes!! I mean, if you aimed the dang thing it wouldn't bounce and go as far as it does when it just lightly drops off your craft table. And what's with sideways gravity?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought this cute little Christmas clear sentiment set a couple years ago. These were only about 1/2" long and less than 1/4" tall. I dropped one of the stamps and have never seen it since. I looked for it for about an hour and gave up. I bet it will show up somewhere else in the house when I'm packing up to move this fall...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awhile back I found an alphabet stamp-a really small one and couldn't figure out where it came from. Well, I finally realized it was from a stamp set I had actually sold. It was so much later I couldn't remember when it was or sho bought it. Oh dear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Stamps are kinda like the socks coming out of the dryer... One out of a pair is always missing out of every load.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a ring story too. Many years ago, I had taken off my rings to do dishes by hand. The next day, my son was about 2 years old. I picked him up and sat him on the counter and reached to get my rings from the ring bowl. He grabbed them for me and said, "Here Mommy"! and they all dropped to the floor. I found my wedding band, middle finger rings and rings for the right hand but my diamond engagement ring was missing. I couldn't find it anywhere. I searched with a flashlight, a mirror, I cleared of the counter completely, swept the floor three times, and went through the trash with gloves and emptying it completely on plastic and going through the trash, coffee grounds, yucky stuff, etc. I moved the refrigerator and stove and cleaned the floors under those appliances. Then I noticed the floor cabinets. They had three angles and a tiny space underneath the angles. The house was built in the 50's I think, so the cabinets were older. I showed the space to my DH and he said, there is no way a ring would have bounced into that area!! I believed him. Several years later we decided to move. My mother in law knew the story of the lost ring and my theory that the ring did indeed bounce into that tiny angled space and she and I believed the ring was still there. She decided to gently take the cabinet apart the day we were moving. She was patient and did so carefully. Yep, there it was. It did indeed "bounce" into that most unlikely place. Funny how these things happen! BTW now I have two diamonds for my ringset! hehehe.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

[QUOTE=Janet1000;21106581]Glad to see it's not just me. I was getting worried. Told my sister I needed to be tested for dementia.

I am so careful with stamps because they walk off. I put them away as soon as I'm done with them because they pull a prison break every time. Last week I looked all over for a long, narrow sentiment stamp I just had on the Misti. Could not find that thing anywhere and I was wondering about my mental faculties when I see the kitten trying to lick the back of his neck - and there was the clear stamp. Somehow I had knocked it off the table and it landed right on the back of the cat's neck as he walked by.

OMG...too funny!!! I am laughing and DH wants to know why....LOL

By day we are responsible people taking care of people and work...by night we are crazed creatures muttering to ourselves about missing bits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 04:36 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a new die set today, small snowflake die by Impression Obsession. Taking the die set out of the sack from the store, I dropped the dang thing. I have searched and searched. Still can't find the thing. I haven't even opened yet!

I hope it shows up soon. I'd like to use it at least once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaymacView Post
I bought a new die set today, small snowflake die by Impression Obsession. Taking the die set out of the sack from the store, I dropped the dang thing. I have searched and searched. Still can't find the thing. I haven't even opened yet!

I hope it shows up soon. I'd like to use it at least once.
That is crazy!! And so wrong.

And now you all are reminding me of the time I bought some beautiful emerald cut diamond earrings (just glass, but swear they looked real ) Took them off their card in the bathroom, looking in the mirror holding one up to my ear lobe, so in love! then went to put it in my ear� and dropped it down the drain.

Called the landlord to open the sink trap and everything, but it had slipped down the pipes and far away. I can still see those earrings. I was never able to find another pair like them! Well, outside of Tiffany & Co. that is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh my gosh - I have the giggles from these stories. So pleased to hear I am not alone ... but nothing missing forever yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Maybe I should consider this set up the next time I redo my craft room.
Attached Thumbnails
Arrrrrgh. Arrrrrgggghhhh1!1!-chemtution-suit-01.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Maybe I should consider this set up the next time I redo my craft room.
Now this one had me laughing out loud. Good thing I am alone right now or my family would think there was something wrong with me.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am laughing so hard now too! Such a funny idea - that is so cute that you added the pic poppy darling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Oh my goodness I have LOL'd --actually-- since catching up on this thread! Who would have thought so many bouncy parts come innocently clothed in plastic/acetate/magnetic/sticky......and we have ALL had it happen

Good thing crafters are usually blessed with a sense of humour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

I reckon those scientists who have found ways to make things invisible have been carrying out secret trials in my craftroom. Else how can you explain putting something down then not being able to find it 5 minutes later? The worst disappearing trick I had was a box of those little silver balls you decorate cakes with - I dropped them on a wooden floor and they vanished into all four corners of the room. I was still coming across them years later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I lost an entire clamshell-cased, wood-mounted alphabet set (Attitude Alpha Upper) for three years, gave up hope and bought it again. THEN - I remembered that I had lent it to a friend and never retrieved it. I had told her about the missing set, too, but she's one of those that has so much stuff that she can't keep track and buys duplicates and I'm sure that - since it had been so long - she didn't remember that it was mine, either... ;)

AND - yesterday I found my daughter's birth certificate in the exact same firebox that we've gone through paper by paper numerous times. Wha...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 644 Likes on 450 Posts

I need to be better organised. I collect things together but don't put them straight away. A snowflake die went missing for at least 6 months - it parted company from the other two! A music note stamp of about 1/2 inch high has been missing for over a year now - it took flight! I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I have had a good laugh reading through these posts and it reminded me of the time I lost my 6" steel ruler. It completely disappeared and in the end I bought a new one. Fast forward a couple of years and moving house in between, I went to pick up my 6" steel ruler and came up with two stuck together! I still have no idea where the first one was hiding but, apparently, it had managed to jump into one of the moving boxes and made friends with the new one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

It's always an "i", isn't it?

A flashlight low on the floor helps, but sometimes you just have to wait for it. No vacuuming at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been laughing in sympathy through this entire thread! My current missing object is a typewriter eraser that I use all the time. It's a pencil with different eraser types on either end. It's perfect for chalk and removes most ink and I can't find it. I've checked the garbage, recycling and gone through every drawer I've got.

I think it's gremlins lurking in the shadows, moving things or taking them and laughing manically at us!!!
Reply With Quote Likes