Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Archiver's Paint with Ink technique?

Anybody get to go to this class?

I can't because it is a 2 hour each way drive and my husband has been away for two weeks. He drove 5 hours in the pouring rain to spend 1 1/2 days with us. So even for a cool stamping technique I'm not going.

But here's how it looks:

We gotta get an Archeiver's close to us.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this also and was tempted. If anyone took this class please tell us about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By the look of the samples that were included I think it is a couple of techniques. First, the orange/teal flower card appears to be a background stamp that was embossed with white embossing powder; the "painting" is with a waterbrush directly onto the CS in the areas that don't have embossing (this gets more color saturation). The light blue and the tan colored cards appear to be a watercolor technique (using waterbrush to paint the stamp, then stamping on to cardstock). Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

You can find alot of videos on YouTube for these techniques -search distress ink watercolor and you will find alot of techniques that can also be used with watercolor pencils or waterbased markers if you do not have distress inks(but I recommend distress inks,.....many many techniques for these).
I think the examples are
1. embossing a solid area stamp and coloring in the unembossed flowers with either distress inks, water based markers or watercolor pencils.
2. Putting the color with either distress inks, watercolor pencils or water based markers directly to the stamp and spritzing with water then stamping.
3. Layering these techniques with other stamps like in Jennifer McGuires video Embossed layered Resist
YouTube - Embossed Layered Resist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried to sign up for this class at two Archivers only to find out that both classes were full. I was in an Archivers and told the sales gal that I live 150 miles away from the store and was disappointed that I was able to be at the store but could not get into the class. She nicely demonstrated/told me how to do the techniques in the class.

The above posters are correct. They had a number of shadow-type stamps (when you look at the stamped image on the package most of the stamp is black) that they stamped and then heat embossed with white embossing powder. They then took a non stick sheet and rubbed Tim Holtz Distress ink pads onto the sheet, and used a damp paint brush or a water brush to pick up the color and paint on to the un-embossed portions of the design.

They also used the same non-stick sheet and distress ink technique as above to paint the actual stamp with the distress ink and then give it a spritz with a mini mister before stamping it on the paper. Years ago I learned a similar method where you would color with watercolor crayons directly onto the stamp, mist it and then stamp. It is basically the exact same method only using the distress inks.

The samples were even prettier than the picture shows and from what I saw demonstrated looked super quick and easy. Of course, I bought a shadow stamp so I can give it a try:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, that was nice of the lady to give you instructions like that. And very kind of you as well to post them. Thank you so much, I hope to try that soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have to say I think the Distress Inks work so well for these techniques since the colors stay true when water is added. Annie - thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took this class last Friday. Annie did a good job of describing the technique. The distress inks were applied using the Inksential applicator with foam pad. We used two colors on each pad -- one on each half of the foam. You can also apply the ink directly to the stamp before misting with water if you want it a darker inked look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Actually, the images are embossed and then colored with an aqua painter after picking up ink with it. You don't have to be real careful when coloring because the ink will not adhere to the embossing. Once you have colored use a paper towel to pick up the ink left on the embossed image (not the paper). The other card is made by inking up the stamp and then spritzing it with water. This will give you the water color look when you stamp.

I have been demoing this at Archivers for the past couple of weeks. Any questions, please send me a pm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin foolView Post
Actually, the images are embossed and then colored with an aqua painter after picking up ink with it. You don't have to be real careful when coloring because the ink will not adhere to the embossing. Once you have colored use a paper towel to pick up the ink left on the embossed image (not the paper). The other card is made by inking up the stamp and then spritzing it with water. This will give you the water color look when you stamp.

I have been demoing this at Archivers for the past couple of weeks. Any questions, please send me a pm.
That's the technique for the two on the left but aren't the two cards on the right exactly what sparcl said?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Jennifer McGuire demos this in a video on her blog:

http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/

Go to "How-To Videos" tab and scroll down. It's 2nd or 3rd from the top. I tried linking the post but couldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Likes