Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Such an interesting thread! I'm 70, been rubber stamping, scrapbooking and making cards for almost 20 years. I just bought a Cuttlebug and embossing folders and like it a lot. Have a Wizard and some Nesties but prefer to use punches, and have lots of punches. I love using colored pencils; usually use double stick tape and still use my plastic stencils and templates - the only types of items available back then, just used a tag template yesterday for a card. I have years worth of rubber stamps, lots from companys no longer in business and more patterned paper than any one person should have, but I use all these things depending on my mood. I don't feel that I "must have" all the latest items, I do love good tools and will upgrade if I find something newer and better. Love this hobby!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Oh, Angela, that's so funny because when I use the hammer for the eyelets my cat cries!!! I try to do it when he isn't in the room now!
Wow! My cat wouldn't care at all. The dog though could be way across the other side of the house downstairs and he still has to bark and run upstairs to see what the commotion is all about. How funny though that we work around our pets. :lol:

Angela
My Stampin' Up! Blog
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #83  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

Gosh, I've been using my eyelet hammer thinking it was a new gadget! LOL... And I don't think I qualify for being 'old' in scrapbooking/cardmaking (I only started 2 months ago!) or in life (or so I'd like to think- I am 27).

But it would appear a lot of my methods are 'old school'. I colour with colour pencils, use UHU glue, scissors and rubber stamping. I also like my fountain pen for some nice cursive writing. I don't have many punchers- less than 10 but I did just buy a Big Shot and I love it but it won't replace my punchers and scissors! I don't even have a scorpal and I just fold with my fingers and thumbs! I even have those school alphabet templates!

It does have something to do with cost. I don't see the point in spending so much on these newfangled gadgets when the old work just as well. Also not a big fan of digi stamps and printouts. CraftUprint is such a big thing but I don't foresee I'll ever really get into it. I feel it stifles my creativity- I am limited and I don't like being limited in crafting!

But thats just me! Everyone should do what makes them most comfortable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #84  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

dfc- I loved your post. I knew you were a UK girl. I love the way UK girls craft. You have the best stamps too. I am just so jealous. CraftsUPrint gave you away, lol. I love to go over there and look around. I am scared to spend the money. I will be broke, lol. Too many temptations.

I still love my color pencils. That is my preferred method for coloring. I do enjoy playing with the other coloring mediums but always go back to color pencil. I have been working with pencils since I was a young girl.

Got to have my glue sticks. I have an ATG gun and I don't see the hype. I did love it for like ten minutes and then it wore off. It's not troublesome for me to use it just doesn't feel right you know what I mean? A tool has to feel good in my hands or it's hampering.

I am a die cutting queen. I keep using my scissors. I have been using my scissors so much that I keep thinking why am I keeping these die cutter's around? Yes, for intricate work it's a must for me. I still reach for my scissors the most.

I agree it can be about the cost. Even though I am a frugal crafter I think the whole thing for me is the new fangled gadgets are just hampering to use. I bought the Cricut because it was supposed to be easy to use. Plug in cartridge, cut out your image and off you go. It's not like that any more you have the Gypsy, Cricut Craft Room and everything else. I feel like you need a Ph.D to keep up with the Cricut world now.

I have always been a minimalist and study simplicity. I love simple. Simple is creativity for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #85  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

Dee Ann thanks for the compliment but I have to let you know, I am not a UK girl- far from it- I am from Malaysia actually, lol. I do read a lot of the UK craft mags and tht probably explains the CraftsUPrint thing.

It must be the colonial influence... hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfcView Post
Dee Ann thanks for the compliment but I have to let you know, I am not a UK girl- far from it- I am from Malaysia actually, lol. I do read a lot of the UK craft mags and tht probably explains the CraftsUPrint thing.

It must be the colonial influence... hehe
dfc- Now, that's funny! ! You have the jargon and everything down. You could definitely pass for a UK girl. I love Malaysia too for your crafting world. It's incredible. You all have to think outside the box with all the US trends. You have the most beautiful incredible ideals. Plus, I love your papers. I am so jealous of your papers. I think because so many of them are handmade. I read a lot of International blogs and craft sites. I find them more inspiring.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #87  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

Dee Ann, what papers are you referring to? I either make my own patterned paper with stamping or use the paperpacks I get free with my craft magazines.

Also, excuse my ignorance but is a Cricut electronic? Is it like the Sizzix Eclips? I've always thought that would be like the Queen of Die cutting machines and the kind of gadget all cardmakers eventually aspire to. hehe...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #88  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Dry (or pressure) embossing old school was very taxing on my bum hand/arm (bad tendinitis), so I must say I sure do love that I can still get that look using embossing folders and my Big Shot. :mrgreen: Same with detail cutting by hand--dies/die cutting machines are a great help to me.
Oh my I hated these things, I too had problems using them.

I love some of the new stuff, but also wish that things didn't change so much that no one uses it anymore. Example Brads and eyelets are not used much and I have tons of them. I know I could use them but I feel so behind the times. LOL I am old too! I think we should all use what we love.

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #89  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfcView Post
Dee Ann, what papers are you referring to? I either make my own patterned paper with stamping or use the paperpacks I get free with my craft magazines.

Also, excuse my ignorance but is a Cricut electronic? Is it like the Sizzix Eclips? I've always thought that would be like the Queen of Die cutting machines and the kind of gadget all cardmakers eventually aspire to. hehe...
I have seen the most beautiful gift wrap and other kind of "Washi" type papers from Malaysia. Even though I don't think they are true Washi papers but they are similar. One blog I use to read (she doesn't post any more) she would use beautiful fabric's, silks, etc on her cards. It was amazing. Then she used different fibers and embellishments. If she had gift wrap she could do the most amazing things with it. I wanted to be her, lol.

The Cricut is like the Sizzix Eclips. Don't get involved in that world. Not a good idea. ;) Too much drama any more and hardly any show of talent. If you ever get into die cutting look for a cutter you don't have to use cartridges for. I think the cartridge cutters are starting to become out of style.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #90  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

The Cricut is like the Sizzix Eclips. Don't get involved in that world. Not a good idea. ;) Too much drama any more and hardly any show of talent. If you ever get into die cutting look for a cutter you don't have to use cartridges for. I think the cartridge cutters are starting to become out of style.
haha I just read the thread about the ProvoCraft lawsuits- I think I may not touch this one.. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #91  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZstampcrazyView Post

I love some of the new stuff, but also wish that things didn't change so much that no one uses it anymore. Example Brads and eyelets are not used much and I have tons of them. I know I could use them but I feel so behind the times. LOL I am old too! I think we should all use what we love.
ITA with this part of your statement. All I'd add is that, unless the recipient is a cardmaker and/or scrapbooker they most likely won't even know if a card used "outdated" items ... maybe certain colors but brads or eyelets are probably safe, kwim?

HAPPY CRAFTING!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #92  
Hardware Hotshot

Tina this is so true, I really hadn't ever thought of it in that way. Thanks for your insight!

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #93  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Tina this is so true, I really hadn't ever thought of it in that way. Thanks for your insight!
YW (and thanks for making my day with your sweet comment!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have(and still use) lots of Dp that I bought a year or two ago.I still use brads & eyelets and Lace cutting stencils. I have never worried about using stuff that isn't 'the latest must-have'. I absolutely refuse to be 'fashionable' with card making, I think the whole point to making your own cards is that they are different from shop-bought ones. I rarely buy anything that is the latest fashion either- I often don't buy it till the fad has passed & everyone has gone onto something else, lol.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #95  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

I still use lots of "old-fashioned" tools and supplies. I love brads and eyelets as much as ever. They add something by being a material other than paper. I use my Fiskers paper edger scissors I bought years ago instead of buying border punches Work just as well and I can even do a rounded or wavy edge--can't do that with a new-fangled border punch! I even still use raffia on my cards--remember when that was popular? And the majority of my cards are stamped---from the background papers to the main image to the embellishments. Which means I also use my scissors a lot to cut out a stamped flower, say to pop up instead of a Prisma or Cricut-cut flower. Just makes me feel good to use what I have and do it myself. Guess being old-fashioned is easier when one is old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

Default no cricut for me

I am well in the senior area as well, and just got back into cardmaking, or should say decided it was time to actually make instead of play around in October

Use dp, punches, just getting nesties, and have edgers and about 40 pairs of different scissors.

Love to try and do different things, so bought a cricut, hated it and sold it.

Have a big shot, but want a grand caliber so that many things can be done at once. Hate redoing things, and would love to do more than a couple of nesties at a time.

Love to colour in the stamps, but need copics because the markers living here are junk, and so using crayons until they arrive.

So basically what it boils down to is that we all use what we like, and I just purchase what I want to use, and let everyone else get the "have to haves"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

Default Old school here

I must be old school because, believ it or not, I stll prefer my faithful original Sizzix over my Big Shot! Just less hassle then figuring out the darn sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #98  
Glitter Guru

Received 817 Likes on 534 Posts

I'm definitely "old school".

I only use stamps, scissors, punches and paper. Of course, ribbons, brads and other embellies too.

No nesties, cuttlebug, cricut, sizzix, big shot, etc.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 AM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

shazsilverwolf- Your cards are always amazing.

jeanne3759- I don't use raffia but I still use fibers. I love that look. I know I made some people faint in horror right now, lol.

Nobody is taking away my decorative edge scissors. I am so surprised they went out of "fashion". You can make the most beautiful elegant creations with them. I have seen a comeback of the scissors with the pendant craze. Some crafters making amazing flowers with deco scissors.

I do have a Cricut but I still like to make my own flowers. I think they look more natural that way. Plus, every time I do make a beautiful Cricut flower I end up cutting it any way because I am adding something to it, lol. Now, I am just starting to print out templates for things because it's just easier at times than fussing with my die cutter's. Don't get me wrong I still love my die cutter's but I use them for more intricate work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #100  
Hardware Hotshot

I love punches over nesties too for the ease too. I still love embossing with brass templates. It's just so soothing and calming. Granted I use my folders lots more and right now my light box is lost in boxes downstairs, as I moved recently!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks lylacfey,. I forgot about fancy scissors- I still have a drawer full of them too! I have a guillotine, but nearly always use a scalpel & ruler,and I still use fibres too lol. I thought it was mainly me using older stuff- my problem I think was buying a lot of something because I did like it at the time,( like mulberry paper for one) so now I could probably make cards for the next 100 years, and not run out, ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #102  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe we need to start a mulberry card swap....I still have TONS of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #103  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Darn, I used an eyelet two days ago. Does that mean I am an "oldie". LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #104  
Crimping Master

I have to admit, I went and got a cropadile. It is just so brilliant for punching pretty well everything, and the eyelet setting is pretty snazzy too. I have horses and leather goes with horses and the cropadile is the easiest thing for punching those extra holes for custom fit. I wouldn't have bothered with the expense otherwise.

I loved colouring in as a kid, and I am afraid I see digistamps as an extension of that. I download images for my grandsons to colour in, but last holidays they were complaining they were a bit childish. I can see where someone with little crafting space would appreciate their storage in a folder on the computer, but that is JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #105  
Die Cut Diva

I swear Mulberry paper is worse than designer paper for accumulating. I bought two packages and I am still going through it. My Mom loves it though. She is always begging me for mulberry paper. She asked me the other day what I will do if I run out of mulberry paper. I am thinking that is never going to happen and there this thing called Ebay, lol.

I like punches over Nesties. One punch and you quickly have your image. Nesties, machine, shims, plates, tapes, etc... I think about using Nesties and I get tired. Nobody is taking my Marvy Uchida Giga Scallop punch from me. I adore that thing. I would be lost without it.

I have a CAD. I put it in my toolbox, lol. I use it for punching holes with everything that is not crafting. I swear if there is ever a CAD that just punches holes in different sizes I am pre-ordering it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenwhiteView Post
I have to admit, I went and got a cropadile. It is just so brilliant for punching pretty well everything, and the eyelet setting is pretty snazzy too. I have horses and leather goes with horses and the cropadile is the easiest thing for punching those extra holes for custom fit. I wouldn't have bothered with the expense otherwise.

I loved colouring in as a kid, and I am afraid I see digistamps as an extension of that. I download images for my grandsons to colour in, but last holidays they were complaining they were a bit childish. I can see where someone with little crafting space would appreciate their storage in a folder on the computer, but that is JMHO.
Now why didn't I think of my crop-a-dial for leather? Oh well, I have a really good punch that works as well and don't what the CAD ending up in the barn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #107  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
Maybe we need to start a mulberry card swap....I still have TONS of it!
ROFL!
I can't believe how much I have, really. I bought a few packs of 'sample size' pieces, I suppose you would describe them as, found I liked particular ones and wanted some more. Then I found where I could get A4 size sheets from, it turned out that the more you bought, the bigger the discount, and that was it, I was done for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #108  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I swear Mulberry paper is worse than designer paper for accumulating. I bought two packages and I am still going through it. My Mom loves it though. She is always begging me for mulberry paper. She asked me the other day what I will do if I run out of mulberry paper. I am thinking that is never going to happen and there this thing called Ebay, lol.

I like punches over Nesties. One punch and you quickly have your image. Nesties, machine, shims, plates, tapes, etc... I think about using Nesties and I get tired. Nobody is taking my Marvy Uchida Giga Scallop punch from me. I adore that thing. I would be lost without it.

I have a CAD. I put it in my toolbox, lol. I use it for punching holes with everything that is not crafting. I swear if there is ever a CAD that just punches holes in different sizes I am pre-ordering it.
I have mulberry paper and use it all the time. I really like the effect when it is torn. So does my DH. He gets some, somehow, on every card I make for him. Also, it is nice and thin to layer. I have the opposite problem as I'm running out of some colors and LSS don't sell it anymore (that is the LSS that are still in operation!). Guess it's E-Bay for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #109  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
since when then being in your 50s make you OLD??? Seriously!!
For me, I feel OLD several mornings a week. THIS morning, I felt 15 again! (Aqua Zumba -- best thing EVER!!!)

I use a hybrid approach. Love to bang out my hole punches! But I love my Cuttlebug for embossing. I still pull out the good ole embossing styluses occasionally though. I still prefer my Prisma pencils to Copics. But I do love being able to make any sentiment in any font/size/color via computer and am learning to do some fun stuff with photos in Photoshop Elements.

Fun thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm a mixture too. I love the Cuttlebug and the Nesties just as much as my punches. I'm getting tired of decorative paper and going back to making my own backgrounds with Cuttlebug embossing or sponging or stamping. What got me into this was the idea of making cards with rubber stamps so for me, the stamps are the rock bottom basic tool - I won't go the digital image route at all as then I'm not stamping, and isn't that what Splitcoaststampers is all about? (No offense to those of you who use digital images.)

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I'm a mixture too. I love the Cuttlebug and the Nesties just as much as my punches. I'm getting tired of decorative paper and going back to making my own backgrounds with Cuttlebug embossing or sponging or stamping. What got me into this was the idea of making cards with rubber stamps so for me, the stamps are the rock bottom basic tool - I won't go the digital image route at all as then I'm not stamping, and isn't that what Splitcoaststampers is all about? (No offense to those of you who use digital images.)
I agree with this. While I have seen some beautiful cards done with digital images (just can't call them stamps, because they aren't), that is not stamping to me. It is an art, no doubt, lovely to look at and takes talent, but give me my wood mounted rubber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #112  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I have mulberry paper and use it all the time. I really like the effect when it is torn. So does my DH. He gets some, somehow, on every card I make for him. Also, it is nice and thin to layer. I have the opposite problem as I'm running out of some colors and LSS don't sell it anymore (that is the LSS that are still in operation!). Guess it's E-Bay for me!
This English online shop, Craft Creations has mulberry paper, and they ship internationally. They have 31 different colours too.They also do it with gold/silver strands in it. And yes, this is where I got carried away, as I said, the more sheets you buy, the bigger the discount!
Reply With Quote Likes