Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

So, I guess the one and singular "old school" way of doing things that will always remain a constant for me, is stamping by hand. There is something about the process of inking up a stamp, and impressing an image by hand, that simply makes me feel utterly, supremely, and undeniably HAPPY.
I even feel that I haven't "stamped" if I use only designer paper and embellishments or dies, etc. Even if it is just a sentiment I must use a stamp on my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

For me it comes down to the right tool for the right job. If I'm playing with my scraps (trying use things up) then I'll do one card at a time and use stamps, punches, scraps of ribbon, etc. But if I'm making 50 of something for the Christmas craft fair, I need my Cricut and printer for sure. When I scrap book, I like to be really creative. That may mean hand cutting unusual pieces or using my cricuit to cut out paper doll's for a page for my little grand-daughter. I don't see why it has to be either old school or new-fangled... creative is creative. Whether an artist captures a gorgeous sunset with the latest digital camera or paints it on canvas - art is still art. Use the tool that works best - don't simply use a tool because its the hotest, latest thing... and don't use it simply because its old and comfortable. Try new things, use what works. Sorry for the rant. LOL Its been one of those mornings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

I really agree with you on this. Stamping is the essence of stamping, isn't it!

I have some nestabilities, but prefer my punches, so much easier to just grab and punch, then find the right-sized Nestie.

I do love Embossing Folders over the old brass templates!

:-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathnanView Post
I'm old school in the fact that I believe stamped artwork involves a stamp made out of rubber or polymer with ink applied to it and then pressed to paper. What's with these digital stamps? They are not stamps if you get the image off a computer. Is it just me?

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I have wanted to post this for awhile. Granted I am in my 50's, but I am getting a lot of satisfaction of going back to using methods I learned when I first started making cards and scrapbooking.

We have advanced in technology to the point it has become a bit less labor intensive and I need more to do....

Examples:

Adhesive: I love my Uhu glue stick and like how it keeps the card pieces together better than some of the adhesives out there (and I have tried nearly everything).

Punches over Nesties: Just easier to get out and use.

Hammering my eyelets: Okay, I am a little sick here. I love the banging and tools and they turn out for me much better than using my CAD.

Colored pencils: They are much easier for me to use and cheaper. Love'em!

What about you? Anything old school you might like to return to?

Thought this would be a fun read. Can't wait to see what comes this way!

Beaglelover

I'm VERY old school, but I like to pretend it's because I'm an artiste! I don't have a Cuttlebug, or any cutting machine, manual or electronic. I hand emboss, and I use punches, some of them so old and battered it's embarrassing. I use glue sticks because they're repositionable for a few minutes, and I use other old fashioned adhesives too, gooey liquids being most fun for me. I use colored pencils, paint, Moonglow spray, and old walnut ink daubers. I cut with my old Fiskar's paper trimmer and an X-acto. I hammer eyelets like you do. For me the main thing is to have fun. Since I'm not mechanical, these old school ways are most fun for me. I like stamping, and use stamps most of the time on my cards. I use cliip art a lot, but mostly what I clip myself. My most sophisticated tools are my embossing heat tool, paper crimper, hot wax tool, and melt pot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

I'm with the lady who said 'I don't do old school. I am old school'!

I've been stamping for about 20 years, am very resistant to new fangled gadgets (can't afford most of 'em anyway) and prefer to make one card with love and care than 50 in the same amount of time by downloading from the computer. Here in the UK it's very common for crafters to use CDROMs and print off background papers, toppers and inserts by the ream, then show off their 'creations' on a craft forum.....I do belong to one such because it's a friendly, chatty site, but I really don't fit: many eyebrows were raised when I said I didn't possess a single craft CD (some said they had upwards of 200).

But I do love my Nesties - it took me a while to buy the first set but then I was hooked

Last edited by FionaB; 11-22-2010 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

A Little Birdie Told Me old school

:confused:i never had a lot of money when i started w/this. I started w/ a few stamps & cards. I've never bought the expensive toys. I can't afford a machine that cuts paper etc. when I can cut paper myself. I've never gotten into die cut
I'm more into tech's & the media. I luv to color w/ my color pencils.. My wish list usually has ink pads, pens etc on them etc. on it.
I make a lot of cards for the GI's. I use a lot of free digi's to keep my cost down. I don't have money for male related stamps.:mad:
Swap-Bot has been good to trade supplies I have for what I have needed for my cards.
I think prices in how many ink pads would that buy:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

i love nesties.....and any kind of embossing folder (i use my red sizzix the most with these) even tho i have a bigshot and a cuttlebug.

i love clear stamps cause i cant stamp straight(er) even tho i use the stamp a majig thingy occasionally.....even then they might not be straight.

i have about 20 copics and i do better with them than with prisma pencils....but i dont own every color !! just 2 or three shades of most used colors.

i have to admit to an addiction to embossing folders. i have to have them even if they dont get used often. i could probably have stopped at swiss dots and swirls.....but....i didnt !

things i never use anymore are many sizzlet sets.....and two darn sizzlet alphabets.....oh, and 2 sizzix alphabets. guess i dont like letters all that much

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #48  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I don't even know if I'm qualified to answer this thread as I've only been stamping for 3 years, but when I first started, I had to have EVERYTHING! About 95% of it went on eBay a year later because it wasn't my style and I didn't use it. I didn't have a style because I was too busy trying to be like everybody else!

I don't like the direction that card making is taking to the "scrappy" look. I mean it doesn't take a lot of creativity to slap a few pieces of DP down, ribbon, and a sticker. That is not meant to insult anybody either - whatever floats your boat. I've tried doing that a few times and flopped.

I don't know if I would say I'm old school, but I don't need or want all the toys anymore. I know what works for me and my style and what I'm going to use. I'm very selective about what I purchase as far as stamps and paper go, and especially my embellishments. I used to have walls of containers and now the shelves are empty and I'm doing better work actually.

I sew, have a Big Shot, and got the new style Cuttlebug today, which is awesome by the way, because I broke my other one. Can you believe that? I've shied away from punches lately because of space, but I still have many of the basic shapes.

I think that everything changed for me and I went back to the basics when I stopped trying to keep up with the Jones' and created things that made me happy and what I liked. That made it fun again.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

This thread echoes a lot of what I've been contemplating lately. The thing that I've noticed with all of the "new-fangled" toys is that the cards and scrapbook pages that used to look handmade now look mass-produced to me. If every element is exactly perfect, where's the charm? I can go to the store and buy "perfect" cards - I like the ones that look like someone took time to make them. Maybe the shape is a tad off, the bow's a little wonky, or there's a stray smudge of ink - but they made it for me, by HAND, and I love it!

I've found - for myself - that there are certain "go to" items that I reach for over and over, and everything else is just taking up space and needs to get sent out into the flow of the Universe.

I have to admit to several digital stamps (including several of my own design). While it's not truly stamping, the rest of the process (coloring, cutting, etc.) keeps it handmade, so how the image gets on the paper is less important to me than whatever else goes into the making.

There's more, but everyone else has pretty much already said it, so I'll stop now...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #50  
Crimping Master

My "old school" go to item is plain old Elmer's glue. It works great at keeping embellishments on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have only been at this for a short time so I am not " going back" to old school techniques.

However I have been making some of my own background paper. I am not fond of much of the new SU DP patterns and can't seem to find what I want in stores .
I have mostly SU cardstock and ink so I can make background paper that matches! I understand this was popular several years ago.
I have quite a few Nesties , but I also love punches including basic shapes. If I only want to cut a circle around a greeting or image it is easier to grab a punch or two if I want to mat it .
Plus there is no Nestie the size and shape of the "Word Window" or "Modern Label" punches.
OH, I have been thinking that for a LONG time about the DP. I never did get the thrill of using patterned paper. (even though I have a bunch) I like the idea of making your own backgrounds, you never run out, it's more TRUE stamping, not matching DP to what you colored. I see large background stamps are starting to make a little of a comeback on some sites. This is fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

I TOTALLY agree about the Digi "stamps" They AREN'T stamps, they are CLIP ART. You run it off on a printer, you don't put any ink to the cardstock. It's NOT stamping IMHO. OK Off my high horse, JMHO. I refuse to buy any, like that will make a difference. LOL If I wanted to do that, I could google clip art and get a lot of images for free.

I can see where some people will like it, Storage is easy...unless your computer crashes, you can resize your image but again, it's clip art you can do that do any digital image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampkinzView Post
I even feel that I haven't "stamped" if I use only designer paper and embellishments or dies, etc. Even if it is just a sentiment I must use a stamp on my cards.
So, so true!!

I recently made a CAS card that I had to identify as "more paper crafting than stamping"

I liked it,but felt like I cheated!! LOL

I truly love designer paper...but as someone else said, I truly enjoy making my own. I don't do as much as I used to...hmmm... should try it TODAY ;)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karenwhite said:
>>>>Many of the old ways were better because they required a little more imagination. You actually had to contribute and take the time to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm a bit mixed on this topic. I have a Cuttlebug, a few embossing folders, and a few Nesties, but I mostly make basic cards with rubber stamps, ink, embossing powder, a bit of colouring, and a bit of layering.

It took me a while to figure out what I like so I have some gadgets I'll be getting rid of. I'm not at all interested in looking at digi-images - kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. What got me into this in the first place were the gorgeous rubber stamps out there, coupled with my love of paper.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

I'm in my mid 60's and have a split personality - LOL I love putting ink to rubber that's not mounted on wood. I have been stamping for almost 14 years and about a year after I started and being frustrated that I could never put things in the right place, my husband unmounted all of my wood mounts and put them permanently on acrylics - now understand that was 12 years ago. Now with the new Clear Mounts from SU and other stamp companies, I can put them on the different sized acrylics my husband cut out for me. I still use my SU markers - no Copics - and some of them are 12 years old and still work. However - I am big-time into punches and dies. Just finished spending my husband's entire retirement checks for a year at the Sizzix Warehouse sale buying new XL dies and embossing folders, etc. I like to layer and use the beautiful EFs and I am just getting into using punches to make cute designs. As for adhesive - I am the double-sided tape queen in my circle. I have been using it for years and for me it works the best. I also like Sakura's Quickie Glue Pen for the small things. I still haven't done any digital "stamping" because it just doesn't send me - no dimension to the finished product unless you put bling and flowers, etc. on. However, that could all change as I am probably going to be getting My Digital Studio so I can use it on my blog and other designs. So all said and done - my fingers are in both worlds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think you are all correct. 2 tools I use every day are my 12" x-acto gillotine (eek spelling!) style paper trimmer and my creative memories circle cutting templates. These are perfect and work everytime! When I got a cricut for Christmas 4 years ago I was like "oh great, a machine I have to sink tons of $$ into) so I used that wiht the cartridge it came with for a year and found that it was a great investment, now with scal software I can cut all of my fonts and design my own diecuts and they cut in a flash! I love my cricut so much I got an expression 2 years ago and use it every day! I don't have many punches so it is most cost effective for me to use a cricut.

Than again I know a lot of crafters who have a cricut and never use it. I love reading about all of your old faves, it reminds you what it was like when you started crafting;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
I TOTALLY agree about the Digi "stamps" They AREN'T stamps, they are CLIP ART. You run it off on a printer, you don't put any ink to the cardstock. It's NOT stamping IMHO. OK Off my high horse, JMHO. I refuse to buy any, like that will make a difference. LOL If I wanted to do that, I could google clip art and get a lot of images for free.

I can see where some people will like it, Storage is easy...unless your computer crashes, you can resize your image but again, it's clip art you can do that do any digital image.
I agree with you in theory....but in practice I respectfully disagree. I have never used digi stamps...but I can tell you that they would be a welcome addition to my craft stash! I'm a busy single mom and while I love stamping, sometimes my image has "issues" and I have to restamp. While some may see this as no big deal... Sometimes I just don't have the time or energy to get a good clean image, so I give up. Trust me, one can mess up a Mo Manning a ton of times before getting one right! Due to user error of course! So, while I obviously prefer rubber... It'd gladly welcome a few digi images! Move me into the tech age! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

A thought that's on topic/off topic: My absolute fave is when I learn a new way to use an old thing! Gets me way more stoked than a new gadget...!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #60  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
I don't even know if I'm qualified to answer this thread as I've only been stamping for 3 years, but when I first started, I had to have EVERYTHING! About 95% of it went on eBay a year later because it wasn't my style and I didn't use it. I didn't have a style because I was too busy trying to be like everybody else!

I don't like the direction that card making is taking to the "scrappy" look. I mean it doesn't take a lot of creativity to slap a few pieces of DP down, ribbon, and a sticker. That is not meant to insult anybody either - whatever floats your boat. I've tried doing that a few times and flopped.

I don't know if I would say I'm old school, but I don't need or want all the toys anymore. I know what works for me and my style and what I'm going to use. I'm very selective about what I purchase as far as stamps and paper go, and especially my embellishments. I used to have walls of containers and now the shelves are empty and I'm doing better work actually.

I sew, have a Big Shot, and got the new style Cuttlebug today, which is awesome by the way, because I broke my other one. Can you believe that? I've shied away from punches lately because of space, but I still have many of the basic shapes.

I think that everything changed for me and I went back to the basics when I stopped trying to keep up with the Jones' and created things that made me happy and what I liked. That made it fun again.
It doesn't require creativity, but you weren't able to do it? :mrgreen: I chuckled when I read this, because I'm sure non-stampers don't think it requires any creativity to stamp an image that somebody else drew and glue on some embellishments. We know that it does, though! I'm curious where one draws the line about what is creative.

Last edited by krystie lee; 11-24-2010 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #61  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I meant that I couldn't get the scrappy look when I tried it and flopped.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a mixture. I have nothing against all the technology and happily embrace anything within my budget that helps me work more effeciently.

Having said that, I have just got through cutting out 16 stamped trees (straight sides) with my craft knife and ruler. These two tools I use almost every time I craft.

I started out making cards on my computer and with scraps...no stamps. In fact, I used to turn my nose up at them since I felt I could always find similar images on the web. So to me the attitudes towards digital stamps are quite interesting. I still keep a file of digital images on my computer, of images that are unique, and images I would only ever probably use once. To me it is simply another way to get an image on the page.

Although I'm sure I will never get rid of my craft knife and ruler, I am quite interested in buying the Slice if it's on sale Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wow! Ladies, what a wonderful eclectic bunch we are!

Thanks so much for all the replies to this thread! Though I am going back to the old way of doing some things, I do have my modern favorites!

1. Clear stamps. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when these came out. Just like many on this thread stated, I love them because they are easier to line up and stamp where you want them.

2. VersaMark black ink. This is the best ink ever. Every image I have used comes out crisp and clear, making it a joy to color in.

3. Nesties: They are a pain for me to get out and use, but I love how they embellish my images.

I am sure there are more, but these are the ones I am thinking about now.

Again, thanks so much for all your kind comments. What a wonderful group we have here!

I may have to get brave and try the Copic markers (I still use Marvy)!!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like using some of my older things, like my mono multi (went through a snail adhesive phase and seems like a lot of cards that I still have where I used that glue, some of them came apart). So now all I use is mono multi.

I have a lot of copics and went through a copic phase too. I do love the look others get with them but for me they were too stressful to use and I didn't get the look I wanted. Now I use colored pencils and baby oil using the copic technique (different shades of one color) and I love the results.

About scrappy cards (which I love making), I do believe it takes lots creativity to make them look good, you can't just put any designer papers together, for me personally it's a long process to choose all of the papers and the right embellishments to go with it. (And I enjoy doing it.)

About digistamps, I do love them, for the space, the perfect image every time and for the almost instant gratification. I don't like all digistamp companies but do have a few favorite companies. Clipart is pretty similar I suppose, but when I use something on my cards I'd like to know who the owner of the art is that I enjoy using. Plus I have no idea on angel policies on clipart so I usually stay away from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #65  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post

I may have to get brave and try the Copic markers (I still use Marvy)!!

Beaglelover
Another Marvy user here - more for inking up stamps than colouring, though. A couple of them are dying.
And I totally agree with the poster who loves her craft knife. I get a pack of blades every time I order from our local supplier. My favourite way of cutting, but ever since the fancier dies matching stamps came out, I've seen how they could be a blessing for anyone with hand mobility issues who can't manage fussy cutting easily. So I'm not knocking them.

Someone didn't see the point in square Nestabilities. I've only got one set of squares, but I DO like the embossed effect and it's hard to recreate yourself, so I reckoned one was worth having.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #66  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

My hubby bought me a Cricut this year, as I had wanted one, and I do like it, but I don't like to see an entire card or scrapbook page in cricut diecuts. I like a mixture. I like the cricut for the letters and basic shapes. I also like a lot of the older stuff I have. I don't have any other diecutting machines; no nesties, no cuttlebug, etc.. I like punches, my coloring pencils, sharpies and Bic markers. I am fixing to start trying to use my Shapeboss embossing system and Journaling Genie supplies again also. I love clear stamps and free digis. As I am trying to keep my spending down, I also use coloring book images off the web etc.. I have limited space, so purchasing a stamp for an image I'm only going to use once or twice isn't in my best interest, not to mention the expense. I also love my rubber stamps; have unmounted them. I really like just about everything I have; I just use some of it more, but I have really been thinking about using some of my older purchased items more often (like the Shapeboss), more of my stencils and templates. There have been a few gadgets that I never liked; the shapeboss? cutter; although, I did keep some of the templates. I like the Paperkins paperdoll set that I bought on clearance; easy to cut out paperdolls for a scrapbook page. And although, I haven't used my two small crimpers alot, I hang onto them, because I may use them again. Really hesitate to get rid of any of my scrapbooking or cardmaking supplies, as I like variety.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #67  
Glitter Queen

Mid 70's still finds me with an impulse problem. I'm trying to remember that what's "new" today will be much reduced in price if I wait. Look at the Cricut machines! I ended up with both machines and thrilled my grandson by giving him my baby Cricut machine. He's the one who taught me how to use it and decorates his high school notebooks and such with output from the carts I gave him.

Last edited by rmimione; 11-25-2010 at 01:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathnanView Post
I'm old school in the fact that I believe stamped artwork involves a stamp made out of rubber or polymer with ink applied to it and then pressed to paper. What's with these digital stamps? They are not stamps if you get the image off a computer. Is it just me?
no, it's not just you.....I don't get the digital stamps either. Where's the fun in that? the only thing I've ever printed off the computer is the free pattern paper that Gina K has every now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

I have a cuttlebug. It's all I need for embossing and cutting out. I played with a friend's cricut for a few days one time and didn't like it. I do have a crop-o-dile because I got sick of hammering eyelets. Love my colored pencils and gamsol and my copics. Love pattern paper, but also make my own. Love my nesties and punches equally. Oh yeah, Scor Pal and ATG are musts as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Love this thread. I am definitely old school. First of all I'm a stamper and my cards are stamped with rubber mounted on wood. Don't even have any acrylic stamps much less "digital stamps" which are not stamps at all! I think designer paper is beautiful, but would rather make my own with the vast variety of techniques available. I have no Copics, no Cricut, and very few punches (they take up way too much space). I would rather cut things out with a scissors and color with ink or markers. Don't really like the stamps that need to be colored a lot, anyway. However, I do love dry embossing and was always frustrated when trying to do it on dark card stock. So---I do have a Cuttlebug and some basic embossing folders and geometric shapes of Nesties (which is my big excursion out of the old school). I like the old embellishment--brads, eyelets, cord, ribbon and do not like to make cards that have been punched, die cut and layered with pre-made designer paper, flowers, and stickers. They always look beautiful, but I like to stamp! My adhesive is and has always been Scotch double-sided tape, I still use glitter, love to score in the ridge of my original Fiskers paper trimmer, use a fat need to pierce through a plastic needlepoint grid, and use the universal eyelet setter and a hammer. I'm fast approaching 65, so maybe that's why I'm really "old School." That all being said, to each their own, and aren't we glad there are so many different strokes for different folks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love your post it made me laugh out loud. If that is a picture of you your hair is beautiful and not at all old school to me. (big smile)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Beaglelover- I love this thread. Thanking you for starting it. I love all the replies.

Decorative Scissors- Can't live without them. I have mad decorative scissor skills. I can recreate Martha's punches and everybody thinks I did all of this with professional tools. Nope, just like my scissors. I do own a few border punches.

I do not sew on paper any more with a machine. I pierce the holes and use a needle and thread. Better yet, I use all my beautiful floss too.

Punches over Nesties! Oh Yeah! Definitely! If you took away my Marvy Uchida Giga Scallop Punch I would cry. Rather give you my Cricut than give you my Scallop Punch. None of you get any ideas, lol.

I don't want an ATG. I have used them extensively. I love my glue sticks and Aleene's tacky glue.

I love, love, love my color pencils. I love coloring on my stamps and stamping them out with water based marker's. I own a few Copics but I prefer my pencils.

The hammering eyelet thing I can't do. Drives me batty. I have sensitive hearing. I have a Japanese drill punch and bits for my eyelets.

I bought the Coluzzle, fell in love with it, a week later it was discontinued. I still use it constantly. I have several desktop cutter's in my home but I would be at a loss without my Coluzzle.

Die Cutter's- I bought mine to design with. I love to design. I do adore my Cricut cartridges. I don't want "Cricut Sneeze" in my work. I love my Big Shot and embossing folders. I still emboss the old fashion way too with a stylus and a stencil. I walked out of Michael's hugging my ShapeBoss the day I bought it. That was a little over a year ago, lol

I do love my Martha Stewart score board. That is one of my favorite new toys.

I am still really young. Ok, I turn forty this year. I think young. Does that count?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #73  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

What a fun and interesting thread. It's all about how much we choose to embrace change!

When I started stamping, the whole idea was to SAVE MONEY on cards! Now, thousands of dollars later....

I love my wood mounted rubber, but I also have a few clear stamps and I've used some digital images (no, they are not stamps). I could list all my gadgets (and I have a lot) -- some I love and use all the time and others collect dust. I've learned to be more discretionary in what I purchase. Sometimes that's because I simply don't have the ready cash and HAVE to wait to make a purchase; by the time I have the money, the item doesn't have the same draw as when I first saw it. But I've also stamped long enough to know what tools and techniques I enjoy using, and I don't have to have everything.

I think that it's really easy to buy every new thing on the market just because we saw a gorgeous project or two using it, but when it's in our own hands, we find it isn't the gadget that made the gorgeous artwork, but the designer. So we end up with a lot of stuff that sits idle, unused.

I think we each have to find what works for us and then use it, whether it's 'old school' or 'new fangled'.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #74  
Inking Addict

I think I am a mix of old and new. However, there are some things that will always be old school for me. Hammering my eyelets...how else can you get out your frustrations in a legitimate way. Water colour pencils...love the way they look and I still have difficulty blending with copics. Scrapbooking...there is nothing like looking at a finished page with all of its texture and colour..not like the new digital pages, for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Like Mscrafty/Trish, I'm 76 so I guess I'm a mixture of both. I was a scrapper before I was a stamper. No digi scrapbooks or cards for me. I like handling the paper, inks, stamps etc. I still do a lot of paper peicing, I mean the real "paper piecing" where you get a coloring book and disect the different pieces, trace them on to your paper, or cardstock, cut it out and then reassemble the various pieces by into shape. I love using the Tombo Multi glue (green bottle) I only started stamping after the clear stamps came out because the wood mounted rubber and I didn't see eye to eye. LOL
I have a Cuttlebug, and embossing folders, I like the embossing look but like someone earlier commented "Ole Arthur" doesn't let me use the brass templates much anymore, creates to much pain and takes the pleasure of creating away. Everything has it's place I guess but so much of it isn't my cup of tea. I don't like the grunge, shabby chic etc...... clean and simple, a few embellishments, pastel and earthtones are the colors I tend reach for, don't use a lot of pattern paper, usually stick to cardsotck especially in my scrapbooks................ each to his or her own, that's what makes the world go round......I have enjoyed reading this thread. We all have our own taste and that makes for a world of great creativity...........Keep on creating and I will too and I will enjoy reading your comments.....

Estelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #76  
Kookie Creator

One of the things I have started doing again lately is to not use dp. DP is convenient as in I save time digging for the right stamp to use but alot of times I just run out of layout ideas. Having the same layout all the time is boring. Neither do I want my cards to be cluttered with things, just not my style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #77  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm old and new I guess. I like punches and my mom gave me a Cricut for Christmas 2010 so that's pretty new. I love it though. I'm finally getting the hang of the shapes with the frames to mimic the new stamps. I have mom now realizing that the shapes are what I need for my purposes, more than fonts. I like punches, but only have circles and flowers mainly. Still learning the coloring process. I don't own Copics yet. I have only used digi stamps on a few cards because I needed something specific. I'm on the computer all day so don't like to be on it at night unless I'm perusing (sp) galleries or blogs. I don't do digi scrapbooking and probably won't, although I love love love my digi camera's. I use primarily Scotch double stick tape and that is my adhesive of choice. Two-way glue pens, and some others.

I realized not long ago (lol) I use a lot of paper and minimal stamps or techniques. I think it's all what and how you learn. I worked in a scrapbook store, so paper was a necessity since that is what we sold. My neighbor was an SU demo and she does beautiful technique cards. I just don't have the patience or something. Or maybe it's just my pickiness and the techniques tend to make me crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like to mix it up a bit depending on how I feel. I would love to use the old hammer style eyelet setting more often and did use it the other day, but it makes my dog bark when he hears the hammering. I still have the old ShapeBoss, gosh... I remember coveting that and it was such a great invention at the time (well I thought) - unfortunately I get bad Carpal Tunnel in my hand and arm so that's out and the Big Shot for embossing is in.

I still love to stamp backgrounds and sponge them, etc., but I really enjoy using patterned papers too - I guess anything goes and it depends on my mood. And I still love colouring in using my inkpads

Angela
My Stampin' Up! Blog
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #79  
Inking Addict

50 old!!! I am 75, a very avid cardmaker, still work part-time with special needs children and love every minute of it. I have two cricuts, 2 cuttlebugs (one just in case the other breaks) Love it.!!! Nesties, mucho stamps, and watercoloring is my favorite. I do use glue sticks (bought at the dollar store) because I always have trouble with the tape adhesives. Cards falling apart. I think it is the heating system in my home. My husband asks me what am I going to do with all these cards. Aside from giving them away, it is my therapy. I hate to do nothing...but always spend lots of hours on Splitcoast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #80  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
I like to mix it up a bit depending on how I feel. I would love to use the old hammer style eyelet setting more often and did use it the other day, but it makes my dog bark when he hears the hammering. I still have the old ShapeBoss, gosh... I remember coveting that and it was such a great invention at the time (well I thought) - unfortunately I get bad Carpal Tunnel in my hand and arm so that's out and the Big Shot for embossing is in.

I still love to stamp backgrounds and sponge them, etc., but I really enjoy using patterned papers too - I guess anything goes and it depends on my mood. And I still love colouring in using my inkpads

Angela
My Stampin' Up! Blog
My Facebook Page
Oh, Angela, that's so funny because when I use the hammer for the eyelets my cat cries!!! I try to do it when he isn't in the room now!
Reply With Quote Likes