Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try! and try again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
NOOOO WAY!!
now thats discuraging!
if YOU do not get published - i dont even try:confused:
Claudia - I hope you do try sometime!! Don't be discouraged...I know I've picked up from this discussion that even if they don't take your submission for what you submit it for, they might use it for something else!

oh, and on a side note, love you avatar! you should see if you can get "I'm too sexy" by drop dead fred to play whenever someone visits your gallery ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 04:31 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm going to be published for the first time next month in Scrapstreet.com
I've never really submitted anything before so it was cool to be chosen, I'm very excited!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Could someone fill me in on the guidelines or accepted practices when it comes to sketches, color combos and especially CASE's when they are submitted. I'm assuming it would be wrong to submit a CASE...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #44  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by annascreationsView Post
Could someone fill me in on the guidelines or accepted practices when it comes to sketches, color combos and especially CASE's when they are submitted. I'm assuming it would be wrong to submit a CASE...
Most publishers list specifically that the work you submit has to be your own. So submitting a case would be out of the question.

I think that color combos would be ok...especially since most of them are used all the time without anyone knowing it. As far as sketches...I think you have to use your judgement on that one--if it is a complex sketch or very original it would be someone's elses idea (see above!) but if it is a basic sketch you use for a starting point and then make it your own--that is probably fine.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Smile congratulations

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammView Post
I'm going to be published for the first time next month in Scrapstreet.com
I've never really submitted anything before so it was cool to be chosen, I'm very excited!!!
Congratulations Samm!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouiseGView Post
Pure and simple, I enjoy being published because I think it is the biggest thrill to see my work in print. I started submitting to Stampington publications about two years ago and have seen quite a few of mine make it. I've also had several in CardMaker. Obviously, my tips are given from having been published in those magazines, but here's a few things to consider:
1. If you're feeling this is something you want to try, just do it!!! Don't second guess if you're good enough, you more than likely are. (Some of my first cards published were not of the caliber I would submit now, but they still made it and made me want to do better work).
2. Decide which publications fit your style. Are you more of a scrappy artist or stamper? I'm a stamper and so go more towards the Stampington publications than say Paper Crafts or Cards, that type of thing. But access the style of the magazine and see if this is the kind of work you do best. Submit to those publications that most closely align with your style.
3. Check out their website to find out their editorial calendar, calls and challenges and all guidelines to follow. Follow them carefully. I always make sure all my information and instructions are carefully typed and easily understood with credits given where needed. If I'm mailing the card in, I make sure this is attached securely to the card.
I think clear, concise info and instructions definitely give you a better chance. I suggest studying the magazine you are going to submit to and see how others write out their instructions so you can sort of follow the same outline.
4. Do you use all newer product in your creations or do you like to use everything you have in your craft room? Some pubs showcase mostly new product while others are less concerned with that, you can use that odd embellishment from ten years ago without having to find out who made it. Other pubs want every scrap of paper and piece of ribbon credited. Take Ten and Stampers Sampler require stamp credits only.
5. Do you like writing out detailed instructions or would you rather just do basic ones? Which brings up the obvious question, is it important to you be paid for your work? This will usually require more work on your part in the form of detailed, step-by-step instructions and supply lists. Or would you just be happy with a free magazine?
6. Are you concerned about keeping your original artwork? Take Ten will donte unpublished work to charity, so you would want to make a duplicate of your work as you won't get the original back. Stampers Sampler will allow you to mark your card "please return" and return it if you send in postage as well. Other pubs such as CardMaker will automatically send your original back when they are done with it.
8. I've noticed as far as the Stampington publications go I have more luck when I stay away from the "hey, look at this color combination I just discovered" pieces and stick to the more common color combinations.
7. As others have said, be patient. I just had a card published in the new Take Ten a year after I sent it in.

I just put up a slide show on my blog with my published work. You can also see my work by checking under "published" labels.
These are great suggestions Louise! Just wondering what you use to attach your information on the back of your card (glue, tape, paper clip??)....and also , do they "rewrite" your instructions or stick pretty much with what you've written?? I just saw your beautiful cards in my SS that I got today...And you made the cover..that is so awesome!

Polly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
These are great suggestions Louise! Just wondering what you use to attach your information on the back of your card (glue, tape, paper clip??)....and also , do they "rewrite" your instructions or stick pretty much with what you've written?? I just saw your beautiful cards in my SS that I got today...And you made the cover..that is so awesome!

Polly
Thanks, Polly. It was the first time a card of mine made it to a cover, so you can imagine what a thrill that was!

I use a good double sided tape to securely attach my personal info and instructions to the back of the card. A paper clip is an accident waiting to happen. I've seen cards published with no name credited to it. Wouldn't that be awful to see your card without your name next to it?

Yes, my directions often get edited or tweeked some. I try to make them as clear as possible. But oftentimes magazines have a certain style they like to inject or certain words they prefer, which is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
Not me. I've submitted a bunch in the last 4-5 months and no takers.
This is very hard to believe. Jeanne, you're one of my greatest idols! While some of the items I see published is very "publish worthy" others are quite ordinary if I may say so. Your work stands out! I've been bit by the Jeanne bug!!
Reply With Quote Likes