Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody els not like VSN?

And brave enough to admit it? I think it clogs up the site and encourages less-attractive work in many cases. Just my opinion. You don't have to say why you don't care for it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Forum Fanatic

I personally don't participate in VSN (Well I did today- just one challenge because I happened to see it was a glitter window which is something I wanted to try anyway) but I don't dislike it.

I do think it makes the site busier and I do think any non-VSN card uploaded today has a very small chance of being noticed, but I think it's really a great thing. It encourages people to try new things, it establishes community, and I don't think the workmanship is shoddy, for the most part. Sure a 45 minute challenge isn't going to produce a masterpiece from everyone, but most of the cards I've seen from VSN challenges have been great.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
....I personally don't participate in VSN (Well I did today- just one challenge because I happened to see it was a glitter window which is something I wanted to try anyway) but I don't dislike it.

I do think it makes the site busier and I do think any non-VSN card uploaded today has a very small chance of being noticed, but I think it's really a great thing. It encourages people to try new things, it establishes community, and I don't think the workmanship is shoddy, for the most part. Sure a 45 minute challenge isn't going to produce a masterpiece from everyone, but most of the cards I've seen from VSN challenges have been great.
This is exactly WHY I participated this month. I am looking for experience and to step outside my comfort box. Trust me, my workmanship is NOT shoddy. I've worked my tail off on many of these challenges and based on the comments I've recieved, it's met some people's standards.
Watercolor Wizard

I like it.. but I don't always get a chance to participate. this time I learned how to make a buckle card and I think it turned out fabulous.

I think it builds community spirit, it's fun and I love to look at all the pieces when they are done!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Pearl-ExPert

I've never participated in it, but I think its a great thing! I know alot of us stay on SCS and never use our stamps. Atleast this way people are on SCS using their stamps and trying new things. I really don't think that VSN work is any better or or worse than any other day. I like that people are uploading and adding to the galleries. Sometimes I like to see cards that aren't as involved, espicially when I need to make a card on the fly.
Watercolor Wizard

oh and one more thing... it often is an inspiration jumping off point... after doing four challenges last night (2 I liked the results and 2 I didn't)... I ended up making 4 cards that I totally love... just got those creative ideas flowing!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love VSN. Did all the challenges last night. I've done 2 from today so far (I got a late start). It's all about thinking outside the box, not masterpieces.
Stazon Splitcoast

I really like it too. But even if I didn't, I probably wouldn't start a thread calling people's 45 minutes of work less attractive.
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Stazon Splitcoast

The same could be said about cards you don't care for or posts you think are ridiculous, right??? And that would be on any given day.

Being that this is a *STAMPING* website...I come here expecting to see stamping. And that is what VSN is all about.

To say it encourages "less-attractive" work....is just down right rude and offensive.

Gabfest Goddess

I don't mind VSN at all. I like to participate when I can and if I feel like I can do a challenge. Also, when I check out the gallery I think the ones that are not VSN really stand out because they are different than the rest. They are the ones I am pulling up more.

I also don't think that people do a less than great job for the challenges. That could be said about a lot of cards but why would someone even say that. It's just not really nice.

Robyn

My Gallery
Chat Box Chick

VSN is a great way for stampers to learn new techniques. Not everyone is a "pro" at stamping and we all need somewhere to start!

I think ANY card that someone puts work into is deserving of being in a gallery.

What is "less attractive" to one, might not be to another!

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Hardware Hotshot

Have you looked in the gallery? Some of those cards are amazing! I'm not participating in VSN just because I know I need more than 45 minutes to make a card, but I do plan on trying some of the techniques on my own time. I love seeing what everyone is creating as the day goes one.
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess what they say is true...every party does have a pooper.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like VSN...the only thing I don't like is I never seem to have enough time to participate! I really don't think a great card can be measured in the amount of time put into it. I don't have a lot of time so most of mine are made in less than that time frame on a regular basis. VSN is about community and fun and isn't that what this site is all about. When we start judging work by what is less worthy or more...we lose out on why we started stamping in the first place...the sheer enjoyment of it.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Watercolor Wizard

I have never particpated, and was hoping to this time, but have been out of town, just returning this afternoon. Looks like a great time and I look forward to giving it a try next time...
Gabfest Goddess

I like it, I have done it a few times although sometimes I just don't have the energy to do many of the challenges. I love how it brings stampers out and encourages them to share their artwork. I like how people who love this site but aren't moderators get to coordinate something that so many other people get joy out of.

I thought it was a good thing for this site, too bad not everyone sees it as a positive thing . . .
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
And brave enough to admit it? I think it clogs up the site and encourages less-attractive work in many cases. Just my opinion. You don't have to say why you don't care for it.
Is this the reason you do not have a gallery? I am appauled that you would even post this thread. Yes you are entitled to your opinion but come on! There are many talented people here and VSN is for those who want to participate. Sorry that it is slowing down the site for you.

ahahahahahDaynaahahahaha
Anyone can be an artist.....you just have to have the desire not to get up early in the morning.
Kookie Creator

Vee-
since you asked is there anyone else who doesn't care for VSN (not who likes it...) i will answer yes...

I've been on this site a long time and used to participate, but there has gotten to be soooo many challenges and it's become more frequent in its occurence, and you are right it does clog up the site.

I no longer participate. I used to take part but found that if I did keep myself to the time limit I used up supplies and really wasn't thrilled with the outcome most of the time. (occasionally I'd get one I liked, but the duds far outweighed those).

All that said, I do enjoy looking at the challenge after the fact, and the 'winner' and have found some pretty amazing artists that way (to look at their gallery with more interest).

All in all, on VSN days I just try to stay away.
SCS member #3312
Kookie Creator

wow. just wow.
i am a busy person thats why i dont participate in VSN, and a little ascared of the talent here but its actually tempting to do some tonight just to post some of my creations which are probably one of the less attractive work you are speaking of.

your siggy says "not snarky just blunt", i can think of another word for you.
A LOST 4400

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
I think it clogs up the site and encourages less-attractive work in many cases. Just my opinion. .
I don't participate but I think comments like this can really discourage someone new to stamping!!!! Less-attractive? I know you probably didn't really mean it to sound this way but I think it sounds really harsh!!! It is one night a month and it obviously promotes a fun time here on SCS. I just hope everyone posts their cards with pride--attractive is in the eye of the beholder!!!!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Pearl-ExPert

What is VSN?

Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshineMama
What is VSN?
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

ahahahahahDaynaahahahaha
Anyone can be an artist.....you just have to have the desire not to get up early in the morning.
Pearl-ExPert

WOW!! I wasn't sure what the VSN was either, but I would never call someone's work less attractive. I have made cards that I have not been satisfied with, and have thrown in the trash, but I had put considerable time in them, none the less. I may have to try this VSN next month, or after Christmas, when I can tackle the tasks at hand. Sounds like alot of fun!! Karen
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
Wow... It may clog up the site, but I think there are a lot of people who enjoy participating in it....

Hey Vee, how come you don't have a gallery?
Glitter Guru

I absolutely LOVE virtual stamp night...it wears me out though! Couldn't participate this time because I just got hom from my fathers birthday celebration, but I plan on doing all of the challenges anyway....just because they are interesting to do! I love looking at everyone's creations!

I also think the site is running just fine....glad to see so many people active and enjoying stamping and enjoying what this site is for!
Faerey Blog
Stazon Splitcoast

I personally don't participate in VSN anymore because I found I never used the cards I made, so I felt it was a waste of my supplies. BUT I would NEVER say that VSN promotes less attractive cards!
VSN is a great way for people to step out of our 'comfort zone' and challenge ourselves. I know many stampers plan for this with their SO (to watch kids, etc) so they have a night devoted to stamping and having fun. That's what it's about. FUN!
"Less-attractive cards".....we've all had them. ;) I think that saying VSN clogs up the site and gallery is rude to those that host it not to mention the moderators that take the extra time on these special occasions to make sure cards are uploaded right away for everyone to enjoy.
If a person doesn't like VSN, then find something else to do while VSN is on. We all get plenty of notice when the dates are going to be.
Pearl-ExPert

I really enjoy seeing the work of the VNS's. I have not participated - but I have gotten some very good inspiration from those that do!
Stampin' Fool

I don't participate in it and some of the styles aren't what I enjoy doing but that being said I think that it could just be avoided.. ya know that old saying.. if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.... yeah.. that is a good saying..
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't participate for two reasons...one, I could never get a card done in 45 mins (I'm kinda pokey) and two, my computer/scanner is upstairs and my stamping room is in the basement...and never the twain shall meet! LOL :p
Desmond's Darlin'

I LOVE VSN!!!! I think it promotes the site, the community sirit, the friendships and of course the Craft!!!! I think there are a LOT of Gorgeous cards created!!! I was a Hostess last time and I had a Hard time picking just 4-5 faves...I have also found that the new ideas and techniques really help me grow in my art, if not that night then later!

Desmond's Darlin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishkismom
I don't participate in it and some of the styles aren't what I enjoy doing but that being said I think that it could just be avoided.. ya know that old saying.. if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.... yeah.. that is a good saying..
Hip Hip Hooray!

Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
Maybe it's other crap clogging up the site...
Gallery Gazer

I think VSN is an awesome time for people to get out their stamps, cardstock and have FUN! Every card is sure to get comments because more people are on the site playing - so that's fun to get extra comments/praise. Last night I tried a buckle card for the first time and I've been stamping for 8 years - so it's not about how long you've been stamping or how advanced you are - it's ALL about having FUN and learning new techniques and being challenged.

And for those of you who have never participated - you can jump in whenever! You can do one challenge or a dozen - don't feel like because you didn't get in "at the start" or if you're just logging on that you can't pick a challenge that you like and get started. Come on over and JOIN IN THE FUN RIGHT NOW!!!
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
Maybe it's other crap clogging up the site...
rofl!!!:mrgreen:

Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe I am a little biased seeing as how I have been a coordinator for a past VSN and I have hosted challenges for several VSN's, but I think VSN is awesome! I know how much work goes into VSN. There is a lot more behind the scenes stuff then what you may think. I haven't been able to participate in this VSN as much as I would have liked but we have two foster kids that are taking up a HUGE amount of my time. VSN for me is a chance of getting away from the outside world and just being able to do things with my stamping that I never would have. There are things I have tried that I never would have if it weren't for VSN. And I know that some of my VSN work has been not so good but I think I have created some pretty good things.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristransue
I like how people who love this site but aren't moderators get to coordinate something that so many other people get joy out of.

See, to me, that right there is the COOLEST thing about VSN.

It's all about the community! Put on by community members FOR the community.

We sit here behind the scenes and make sure everything works as it should, and watch all the fun stuff happen. We watch the community get together separately (by distance but all together in the forums) to take part in the challenges that have been masterminded by the hostesses and organized by the coordinators. We see the gallery fill up with fun stuff that community members have stamped to fit into a challenge theme. And we get to watch behind the scenes as the next VSN is planned. It's a lot of hard work, and the results? Lots of happy, tired stampers!

I'm proud to be a part of the community, and stand behind this cool virtual stamping weekend.
Watercolor Wizard

Do I not like VSN?....I admit it's not for me, but I can't say I don't like it...just a personal choice not to participate under the time restrictions or some of the techniques used in the challenges. But I certainly wouldn't slam the event.
I applaud all those who are able to meet each challenge in 45 min. or less...I am way too slow to be able to do this but I admire those who can, and I definitely don't think that what they turn out is less attractive...far from it. I enjoy checking out the various techniques and will undoubtedly try them at my own pace at another time....
Hardware Hotshot

I have always kinda thought of VSN as a Stamper's Virtual Slumber Party... hee hee... ;) Looks like so much fun!

I have not been able to participate yet but am hoping one day (maybe when I get the babies into college!)... but I so love seeing the creative things that come through the gallery during these sessions.

Be happy for those who do get to participate... :-D
Besides, you never know what you might learn.

Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishkismom
AMEN!!
And I think that anytime anyone uploads anything to SCS its a great thing. There is so much talent here and it can get a little intimidating. I wouldn't want anyone to NOT upload because they think their work is "less-attractive".
Hardware Hotshot

I have never participated...not to say that I never will. Besides what might be "less attractive" to one person might be another's "masterpiece" KWIM?! It takes all kinds of art and talents to make our stamping world go around!