Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody(besides me) thinking about Christmas gifts yet?

Am I the only crazy person thinking about things I want to make this year for Christmas gifts? I know it's not even June yet but I can't help myself. LOL. My Christmas budget is going to be a whole lot smaller this year and I have seen such great gift ideas in the gallery. I figure I can make some wonderful gifts with a smaller budget and still feel good about the gifts I'm giving. I was just curious when others start planning and making their Christmas gifts. I'm definently planning to have supplies and stamps bought for my Christmas projects so I can get started sometime in July. I just don't like getting too close to Christmas and having the pressure of unfinished gifts running through my head.
April
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I don't think you are crazy I have started making a small list for the IL's and some friends. I have to budget each month to get christmas gifts so I might as well start alittle early.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

You are not alone. I have been doing the same thing. I too am going to be on a smaller budget. What have you thought about so far? Me? Coasters, acrylic frame post it note holders, tile message boards, soap, etc. All these ideas are coming to mind. I always seem to wait until right before Christmas to start shopping/making anything. I don't want to do that this year.

Denise
p.s. On a side note, I have an easy recipe for bath salts when layered just right looks and smells like candy canes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh no! With three kids, 11 young nieces and nephews (we aren't counting the teens and up), add in in-laws, teachers for all the kids, sports coaches, special area teachers, scout leaders, we HAVE to start early. I didn't last year and it about killed us, lol.

On another side note, Denise dear, what recipe?? <getting pen ready>

Tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Tell me toooooo!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face

Your not crazy. With 7 kids to buy for I start looking in Jan. for gifts for our kids and everyone else on the buy list. If I didn't there would be no christmas!!!
SCS member #9233/ SU Demo
My Wee Blog: kats' kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:15 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

You are not the only one that has started. I have been making calanders that fit into the acrylic frames. I only have two months done so far but that is a start. I am making 40 so it takes awhile. They make great gifts. I didn't make them one year and everyone was disappointed. They all look forward to them. I am waiting for the new catalog to see if there is anything that would work for the calanders. I would love to hear what everyone is making. Thanks for the post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Was at JoAnn Fabrics yesterday for their Memorial weekend sale (and that 10% off everything coupon) and I spied fabric frames that were 50% off. Then some were even cheaper. Eggplant fabric frames (4x6) for only $1 and the others were only $1.50. Decorate a little or frame your stamped art and voila a great gift for teachers, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamIAm
Oh no! With three kids, 11 young nieces and nephews (we aren't counting the teens and up), add in in-laws, teachers for all the kids, sports coaches, special area teachers, scout leaders, we HAVE to start early. I didn't last year and it about killed us, lol.

On another side note, Denise dear, what recipe?? <getting pen ready>

Tam
I don't know your situation but as our family grew, Christmas with the extended family was getting way too stressful. My siblings inlaws lived locally, our parents lived locally, we all had adult children who had inlaws locally. The family was growing rapidly as our children married and started families. Add in a couple of divorces where the kids were 'split' for Christmas. A few years ago my siblings and I decided that the idea was to share time together as a family and it didn't have to be on Christmas day and it wasn't necessary to buy a gazillion gifts. So, we decided that we would get together at my folks house on the Sunday after Christmas. We also started drawing names and put a very low dollar maximum on gifts. Everyone, adults and children, go into the hat. This has made the extended family Christmas celebration so much nicer. On Christmas day and Christmas Eve we each have our own family celebrations with our children and grandchildren. My Mom (now widowed) gets in on all of our individual celebrations since my siblings and I do them at different times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I just received some silk scarves from Dharma Trading that I'm going to stamp and dye for my daughters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 08:27 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

It's never too early to start thinking of Christmas, especially if you are making gifts. I started cross-stitching stuff New Year's Day and was really on a roll ticking projects off my list through January and February. Haven't done much stitching since then and really need to get back on schedule, and work on several more projects.

And then there are the Christmas cards to work on. Am not only making my own this year, but cards for two other people (so far) as well.

*Taking note of Tam's pen poised for a bath salt recipe*

Hmm...wonder what I'll be getting for Christmas this year.

Heather

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 08:49 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Denise,
I would really like the bath salts recipe, too, pretty please with strawberries and sugar on top!???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

My DD and I are going to do a lot of "in a jar" type gifts this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 10:42 PM   #14  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

In 1988, I was due with DD on December 22nd. (She was born the 15th.) Everyone told me to finish my shopping early so I wasn't out there in crowds with my belly getting bumped! So I did, and it was SO WONDERFUL to be DONE!!!!! Every year I have tried to be done ahead of time. Unfortunately, DH is a major procrastinator, but I do everything *I* have to do ahead of time. I pick up stuff for family and friends throughout the year, I have one set place to stash things (so I don't forget), plus I keep a passworded list on my Palm PDA every year.

Since I started making my Christmas cards, I seem to start earlier every year. Yes, I have some done already. I'm doing more elaborate ones this year and using beads, because I have the time to do it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 02:57 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Not crazy...smart! I too shop early. I have 7 nieces/nephew so we pick names - ie. if I have two children I now buy for 2 kids. This way the budget is in control and the kids are not overwhelmed with so mant things and I can take care of my own 2 DD's. I also take advantage of the huge markdowns after Xmas. The only thing I must do is label the gift - otherwise I could forget who it was purchased for. I also keep all gifts in the same place. This way I will never loose a gift and have to run out last minute for something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 03:55 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've started thinking about cards and gift tags, but hadn't thought about gifts yet. I usually wait for July stamp club to start my cards, but I've palnned out what I'll be doing.
Melanie in NC

Anyone have any ideas of what I could stamp for my two 5 year old neices?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Got my cards started! When my kids were little I use to start shopping in September when they went back to school. I hid their presents under their beds! It was the one place they didn't clean, so they also didn't look there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 06:03 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Oh my - I don't give Christmas a thought until November! With DH's family, we draw names, so only two gifts to buy there. I always do a photo album for my dad and stepmom because we only see them once a year at most. I give my mom and stepdad food gifts. Two years ago I gave them a menu with 12 dinners. They chose one each month and we brought it over and ate with them. This year I did "dessert of the month." I make a dessert on the 15th of every month and we deliver it to them. We don't do gifts for anyone over 18 in the family, and we don't do gifts with extended family - we just get together and have a big potluck. I guess that's why I don't think about gifts until November! I will start my cards earlier this year. I ended up rushing to make an additional 20 last year the week before Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Default Well it's great to know I'm not alone.

Denise I would love to have that recipe for those bath salts also. They sound wonderful. I'm planning on making acrylic post it note holders, coasters, candels, tile magnets and cards and maybe putting these in an altered paint can. There is a great example using the terrific tulip set in the gallery.
I've not started my Christmas cards yet but I do know how I'm making them. Also I plan to make a lot of the clear ornaments with the stamped image on the inside. I'm giving those as a small gift to friends and family members that I don't usually buy for but would like to give them a little something.
April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 06:27 AM   #20  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I actually started the cards yesterday--I have 8 done, counting the 4 I did in different ways while I was deciding what to do. I just need to lay in a supply of dark green cardstock and I'm on my way. Since I get bored making multiples of the same card, I'm going to try for at least 2 a week until I have them all done. I usually design one card, then I get really bored toward the end and wind up making half a dozen different kinds--but I never remember what I send to whom, so some of my friends probably get cards done with the same stamp every year. I hope their memories are short!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 06:47 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I'm not thinking about gifts yet - we've got 4 kids and everyone's birthdays are before Christmas.
I am already thinking about how I'll make my Christmas cards though. I've only been stamping since Feb, so it'll be a big undertaking for me.

I do start Christmas shopping after Halloween, and I finish before Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

The only day I'm not shopping or thinking about Chrismas is Dec. 25th.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I signed up for some Christmas card swaps and have made some of my own. So, I've got the cards checked off of my to do list. I'm working on the gift list. I keep a running sheet in Excel. I make variety packs of cards I make for my mom, MIL & grandma every year. I've found a birthday/event calendar that holds cards in the gallery that I'm going to make for some on my gift list. I've got a lot of my friends jazzed about the tiles so we'll be getting together this summer to make those and let the kids play. I also like the little post it note holders and legal pad folders that I've seen here. Currently trying to figure out what I can do with those cute little fruit cans. My girls and I go berry picking every summer and make jams and preserves to give as gifts every year too. I've done the gifts in a jar. One of my favorite recipes is Cranberry Hootycreeks. My uncle I made these for calls them breakfast cookies, because they've got oatmeal and fruit in them. I like to have most of my Christmas gifts done by Thanksgiving. That way when it really starts to get busy I can actually sit back and enjoy all of the gatherings and things with all of the schools, work, clubs and teams that our family is involved in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

Hey guys! Sorry that it seemed as though I left you, but I got off the computer(gasp!) Anyhoo! I will post the recipe later for everyone and try to PM the ones that spefically wanted it. The salts are SUPER easy, smell great, and look pretty. Later. Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 08:57 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Is there an interest in a bath cookie recipe? I have made these and they are so realistic that you have to stop people from eating them. If anybody wants it, I will dig it out too. Have a great day everyone!Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 09:06 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I'd love both! They'd make great gifts for anyone!! Add me to your list of sendouts! And thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, now I am curious... a bath cookie recipe?

I was just about to post that I too wanted the recipe for the Candy Cane bath salts and then I saw your last post. May I have a copy of both of them?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Default all occaision gift sets

I too start thinking about Christmas early. Last year I made all occaision card sets for my mom and Mother in law. There were about 30 cards in each set. Birthday, sympathy, get well, ect....
They absolutley loved them and all my sisters in law were jealous. So I know what I will be making again this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #29  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I'd love both the bath salts and the bath cookie. Sound like great gifts!
Thanks,
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Here's my twist. Whenever I buy gifts early I get all excited in December at the decorations, etc. that I start buying another set of gifts so my mom, husband, etc. get WAY too much stuff from me. This year, I'm waiting!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

I am very interested in the candy cane salt and bath cookie recipes! Please do share.

As for this year's Christmas, I am hoping to make cards to send out and make some gifts. I always dream of making gifts and never get around to it. I hope it will be different this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Wink

You can go to organizedchristmas.com for the candy cane bath salts. I made them one year and they were so cute. Last year I also started buying Target gift cards when I went shopping. I would put $10.00 or $20.00 on it and then stash it away until I do my Christmas shopping. When you add $10.00 to your bill you don't really notice it and by the end of the year you have a lot to use.It's like an easy savings plan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Could I please get the receipes for the bath salts and bath cookies as well? I guess it is time to start looking for some pretty bottles...or ones I can make pretty by stamping them!!!

Lorie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

CHRISTMAS????????????

I haven't started my summer vacation, yet! No way. Please not Christmas, already. Even when I was a SAHM, I didn't think about it this soon! I WANT SUMMER! Today, it was actually warm in southeast Michigan!

You ladies are too much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

Hey guys! Everyone that wanted the candy cane salts and bath cookie recipes PM me your email address. I have forwarded the recipes from sites where I got them and thought it would be easier to forward them to you instead of you looking at the site.

Also, about the bath cookies, mix EXACTLY as the recipe says. I added the egg to the dry mixture. Big NO NO wasted a whole batch. I packaged them in cellophane bags tied with ribbon. Make sure you put instructions with them. Girls, they smell like real cookies baking.

If you guys have ANY questions, please let me know. These were so much fun to make and give!

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default Recipes

Hello,
If it's not too much trouble could you please send me the 2 recipes. [email protected]. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

I would love the recipies please and can you all explain the acrylic frame post it note holders to me please

[email protected]

Last edited by Scrap Collector; 06-01-2005 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Please send the two recipes to me also. Thanks.
[email protected]

Friendship is the golden thread that binds our hearts and souls together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

Default Me too!

I would love the two recipes also! Thank you very much.
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recipes

I would love to have a copy of the two recipes. [email protected]

Thanks very much!!!

Jas
Reply With Quote Likes