Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any regrets?

I can't keep buying new sets at the rate that I'm buying them and not run out of room. Why can't I be happy with the sets I have? How can I look at my "had to have" sets after only using them once or twice and get rid of them? Why would I get rid of a flower set only to buy another one? Will I some day say to myself, "I know what would look great on this card" only to realize I no longer have that set?

What criteria do you use when you decide you need to give away or sell your old sets? Have you EVER regretted your decision?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 05:09 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Thats exactly why I never get rid of any stamps...I'm afraid I'll want it one day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Me too. I don't get rid of any! If you're truely running out of space, you could consider going unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i'm afraid i would regret it too! i've only been addicted for a couple years tho.

maybe you could store your seasional sets in a less handy place to make some room. and when the season or holiday gets here- bring out that box and "exchange" them for the season that just past.

i have moved my back ground stamps to a cabinet instead of the shelves where the rest of my stamp sets are to free up a little space.

hope this helps, good luck and happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I went unmounted. I do get rid of sets now and then because they were ones I was hesitant about in the first place, and sure enough, I just never used them in ways that made me happy. Now that I have gone unmounted adn my stamps take up about 10% of the space they did before, I rarely feel like getting rid of anything. I do tend to sell accessories though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never regretted trading or selling.

If you trade, you get a "new to you" set.
If you sell, you get $$ to buy a new set.

Either way, it equals more stamps & the equilibrium in your stamp cupboard is restored!

I have had some great trades here on SCS & it is fun having something new to play with. If you haven't used it & it's a more "limited" set then I say trade it!!! Plus, something fun comes in your mailbox. What could be better than that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wish I could purge! Not just stamp sets but all of the papers etc. I've bought for scrapbooking that I've accumulated. When I first got into this, a local scrap store was going out of business and I went in and bought like crazy-a bunch of 8.5x11 papers that a) i can't use as backgrounds because I scrap 12x12 now and b) my tastes have changed and i don't like them as much anymore!!! My grandma was a pack rat, my mom was a pack rat and I'm just keeping up the family tradition!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

This won't make a big difference, but quite a few of mine actually fit in smaller boxes than they come in (sometimes it might be that I mount a little stamp on the end of another because I like the smaller wood surface). You could move sentiment stamps from image sets and keep those grouped by type, and maybe some boxes could be traded down that way too. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just1more
I can't keep buying new sets at the rate that I'm buying them and not run out of room. Why can't I be happy with the sets I have? How can I look at my "had to have" sets after only using them once or twice and get rid of them? Why would I get rid of a flower set only to buy another one? Will I some day say to myself, "I know what would look great on this card" only to realize I no longer have that set?

What criteria do you use when you decide you need to give away or sell your old sets? Have you EVER regretted your decision?

My criteria used to be that if it was currently selling on ebay for close to or more than what I paid for it, and I hadn't used it in quite awhile and didn't LOVE it, I would list it and sell it. Over time I have sold or traded away probably 75 sets (still have over 100 "in stock"). Looking back, I regret every one of them. I decided about a year ago that I would never sell or trade another set again as long as I am still stamping. I'll just clear out everything when I hang up the hobby for good (if that ever happens).

I really don't have the space to keep stock piling everything, but I'm tired of getting rid of things only to end up buying (a few of) them back later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't gotten rid of anything yet. I am so afraid to. I have been stamping since around 1993, and I have a lot of stamps. Someone offered to buy an old retired set not too long ago and I really tried, but couldn't part with it. I am definitely sick. But on the plus side, I don't have stamps hanging out that I have never used. Just have to stop buying and use what I have more (she says as she places a $150 order with her SU demo)LOL!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just1more

My only regrets are getting rid of a lot of my House Mouse stamps a few years ago. I also used to buy a specific stamp to use for my Christmas cards and then I'd sell it after my cards were made. Why? Because I wouldn't be using the stamp again for Christmas cards.

Otherwise, I tend to hang on to my stamps.

The only other reason I would sell a stamp set is if I don't use it. I just sold some of my CTMH stamp sets that I've had for years! Never used... That's just wrong. Well, not really.. but hopefully they've gone to a new home where they will see daylight (and ink) more often than when they were sitting in my dark stamp cabinet.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is exactly why I am going unmounted too. My plans, right now, are to unmount sets as I use them. Then by the end of a year, I will better be able to evaluate which stamps need to find a new home. Those that are still wood mounted after a year of stamping are candidates for new homes.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I've been stamping for about 9 years now. I have such a small space for my stuff it was really getting cluttered. I had thought about cleaning house and getting rid of things I don't use, but I too am sick and couldn't part with anything. I started unmounting my stamps to save space. Now that I've done it I really like them unmounted. I kept all my wood blocks and put them in the attic, just in case I ever want to sell them I can put them back together(like I ever would ha, ha).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I will sell mine when I don't want to do this addiction any more. Besides can you imagine how much they will be worth then. Retired sets go crazy on Ebay. All that money for another addiction. Woo HOO Hang in there girl, how bad can it get!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

I NEVER regret it because I just don't have enough time to stamp, lucky if it's once a week, so all my stuff really does seem new all the time to me, and I always have tons I want to play with. I LOVE getting new stuff without having to order. Some I've traded I kind of wish I still had (one example is Frosty), but what I got in trade was so cool, I was happier with what I got than what I had. I only trade or buy what I REALLY want, not just "what the heck" stuff.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Not all retireds go for big bucks, so you can't count on that. It seems that the more unique the set is, the higher priced it is ... Dreams and Dragons, Girl Power, Stew Pot Pals, etc.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I've bought many sets that now I think "why??" But I've never gotten rid of any of them. These stamps are like my little children and I love them all the same! Perhaps some day they will grow up and have to move away but right now I'm keeping them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I've unmounted the ones I use often, and grouped similar sets together. (For examle -I love flower stamps and some of the news ones look very similar to ones I have. So, I haven't bought the new ones and also have more space).
The sets I don't use as often or haven't decided about I've left mounted for now. I still have so much more space than I did before that it doesn't matter. (I have many years of stamps also)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have made many costly mistakes in purchasing. I have sold some and kept some of my mistakes! I plan on hosting a used rubber stamp sale at my home to get rid of about 30 sets. I like getting new stuff and it seems the best way to get the money for new ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

After reading your posts I've decided to keep all my stamps and padlock the door so my husband doesn't see my growing collection. I've also decided to make myself pull out an old and forgotten set and make a card so I can justify my horrible addiction. Unlike some of you that forsee curing yourself of this addiction someday I just don't think it will ever happen for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, that can be a problem. Suddenly the sets seem to multiply and you wonder what your DH is thinking!!!!

C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish I had a door to *padlock* from my DH's eyes! Unfortunately, my EVER growing collection at my stamping area is on a table in the corner of the family room. Not much privacy, but I get to stamp and watch Desparate Housewives -lol!

Anyway, I understand HAVING to have a stamp set then after making one or two cards I am off to another set. Sometimes I use the weekly Sketch Challenge and pick a stamp set I never use and make myself use it. You never know, you may discover you like it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I have sold or traded quite a few sets. It took a year or two to figure out what my style was, and I got rid of a lot that weren't. I think there is only one set that I am kinda bummed I got rid of, but still don't miss it too much. I don't plan on trading or selling any of the ones I have left at this point.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I was just thinking about what to do with the stamp sets that I just don't use that much, but that I don't have the heart to give up permanently. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a sort of exchange program where you trade stamp sets with someone who has a comparable value (or comparable combined value) for a set amount of time (say 1-3 months). Kind of the way we borrow each others sets on stamping nights and return it the next meeting, but on a larger scale. I don't have this all figured out, just a vague thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I have way more stamp sets than I can use...been stamping for 9 years now. I have perhaps only gotten rid of one or two sets over the years. The sets I use often ( like all of my background and shape (circles/squares/rects/triangles), are getting unmounted as I use them. I like having them right on my stamping table in their CD rack. Seasonal stamps are stored under the beds and in closets in large rubbermaid storage bins. I keep multi-seasonal sets and other favorites near my stamping area.

In some ways my stamp purchasing has slowed down. For example, I love my two "coffee" sets. They work well with many of my other sets. I just won't purchase any more of
them. I now have a multitude of Thank You stamps I've found at a variety of places; different fonts, vertical, horizontal, etc. I don't need any more and never even look for more of them. I'm also weeding out some sets that were "must haves" way back when but really don't work with the bulk of my collection. These "weeds" will be put in a closet corner somewhere. If I don't use them in the next year or so, they will go to B/S/T.

The stamping addiction is a collecting addiction. But hey, this is my very affordable alternative to "real therapy". If I can stamp for 20 minutes, that mini-vacation in the creative process is priceless and perfect and gets me on track to help kiddos with homework and get the never-ending loads of laundry done.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
The stamping addiction is a collecting addiction. http://stamponthis.com

Now, why didn't someone tell me that way back when instead of my having to work it out for myself? It explains all those sets I had to have which I've never used, but cannot bear to part with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I recently came to the decision to sell some sets for the first time. I worried over it for awhile and even had a small "moment" when I had to pack my beautiful Hydrangea set up to send to a lucky SCS member. But it actually feels good as there are several sets that I've used once or twice (or maybe never) that are better off with someone who will actually use them. Sounds sort of odd now that I've written it down, but I guess it's my general feeling about recycling. Don't let natural resources (or even rubber resources) go to waste.

Shawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Can't bear to part with any set I have. It is mine - won't share! Don't care if I don't use it..... hee hee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I part with stuff every year. I sell 20-30 sets each year at a used stamp sale so I can have room for new stuff over the following year. Yes, once or twice I've wanted to use a stamp set I've sold but I've always found a suitable alternative from my current collection. Of course, I have some favorite stamps that I would never part with, but overall I love having new options!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

I don't want to give up any of mine! I saw lots of responses that said that is why they went unmounted - that is exactly what I have done due to space issues with my growing collection of stamps!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you buy and buy and are still not content then something is missing. You need to be content with yourself and your life before you can be content with what you have. You are looking for the rubba to fill a need and it won't and never can. It can help you relax and have fun but it won't fill a need. Sorry. OH and yes I have bought sets and then wondered WHY?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

My sis has a little bit differeent taste than me ..eg; she likes the folksy stamps more than me..i tend to lean towards, old fashioned, vintage etc. so any that i have ordered n end up not using or liking much ..i give them to her..that way they always close to home..n i have visiting rights!!!..lol..loves ya..Gail

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

oh I could never sell my babies !!! snort !
however - I am going to a HUGE garage sale on the 13th at a stamp store where there will be thousands of new and used stamps for sale !!! I can NOT wait to add to my collection of babies ! LOL !

it's gonna be a good day tater! ~ Ron White
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm running out of room too, but I can't see me selling any of my stamps. I am getting better at using things that I have. I frequently buy clearance embellishments because I can't resist a sale. I have been resisting the sales on beautiful papers lately. Best of all, I am using my papers and embellishments. Now that I can store my cards on the computer, I don't mind using them and giving them away.
I have a bookcase that used to be filled with children's books. Since my kids are now 16 and 19, I'm giving away the books, and figure I'll fill the bookcase with stamps (and out of season shoes). (I have more than one addiction.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm such a hoarder of rubbah! I have heard of some demos selling all their retired sets and I just couldn't part with mine...they are like family!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I have recently begun to purge, it is actually not that bad a feeling....if I REALLY REALLY need something I traded or sold, I can always beg someone on the image swap thread for a few.....so far I have gotten rid of about 15 sets...and only gotten 1 back. Wooohooo
Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Wink Any Regrets?

Oh, boy! Have I ever had regrets! So now, as I accumulate new rubber, magazines and paper, I'm afraid to pare anything back. We'll be moving to a different house this summer with more room for my hobbies that include a huge stash of yarn and wool to spin as well as stamps. Hopefully that will alleviate some of my personal stress with clutter. I'm looking into storage/display/work areas right now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sara in WI, where the winter storm is in full blast mode :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #38  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

i am the same way, but i really don't regret any purchases. i just can't get rid of them until i am so certain that i will never use it again. that's the beauty of the bst forum here. there is always someone that wants something that you have.
Reply With Quote Likes