Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #81  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Cedar Rapids has been designated a Level 5 disaster by the Red Cross. There is only one level higher, a 6, which is what Hurricane Katrina was.

A group of us from our church went to Clarksville this morning to serve meals to workers and victims. It's unbelievable all the damage that we see on television and in person.

The Bible reading yesterday was, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11. We need it.

Blessings,
Shirley
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #82  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollicefaithView Post
Hi All,

Cedar Rapids has been designated a Level 5 disaster by the Red Cross. There is only one level higher, a 6, which is what Hurricane Katrina was.

A group of us from our church went to Clarksville this morning to serve meals to workers and victims. It's unbelievable all the damage that we see on television and in person.

The Bible reading yesterday was, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11. We need it.

Blessings,
Shirley
Wow, Shirley! Thanks for sharing that info. I hadn't heard that. But then, I am trying to get my life back to normal today and have not been watching any of the coverage. I guess we were on MSNBC earlier (my mom saw it, I didn't). And Al Roker from the Today Show is here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #83  
Crimping Master

Oh, wow.....we're like celebrities in little old Iowa....but not for a good reason! :(

I have been trying to stay away from the media today as well, all I need to know now is when I-80 in Cedar County is opening back up. That's my biggest chance to get to work!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Another 'Clone in the House

I graduated from ISU in '94 and boy do I remember the Flood of '93! I worked at Hilton Coliseum. I went to work one day and the next a friend called to tell me he didn't think I'd be going in that day.
ME: (puzzled) Why?
HIM: Ummm, perhaps the 14 feet of water covering the floor has something to do with it, I don't know...

I couldn't wrap my brain around it until he drove me near and then I couldn't believe my eyes!! At some point they made the painful decision to just open the huge doors and let the water in to keep it from doing even more structural damage by forcing itself in. I swear the parking lot looked like the nicest mini lake, having the nerve to reflect blue sky and all! If it weren't for the trees tops sticking out one would never know that water didn't belong there. Fortunately, my roommate and I lived on the far side of town and weren't personally affected, but that was when I first really understood the saying, "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink."

We had friends coming by to get our used dishwater to use for things like flushing toilets. There were trucks coming in with bottled water all the way from Georgia (which promptly flooded the next year). Ironically, I live in Georgia now and we have extreme water restrictions as a result of the drought we're experiencing. It would be nice if we could figure out a way to suck up some of that "extra" water from the rivers before they overflow and send it to areas of the country where it's needed. Why can't we make a flood pipeline to transport water like we have for oil??

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I hope you dry out sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Burlington has hit the news today. The levee in Gulfport broke this morning and closed the Great River Bridge. The crest is now expected tomorrow at 26.1. We have already broke the record of the '93 flood. It is hard to believe how much damage has been done here is Iowa already. Just pray that the 7 mile levee in Burlington holds up as that is the one that is being watched closely now. Prayers going out to all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #86  
Inking Addict

Default Hugs

Hi Julie,

Please accept this cyber hug. I, too, hope you can avoid the mess of a flood in your home. For me, the biggest thing was simply being displaced, not being able to do things like I usually do them. I hope things get back to normal for everyone soon.

Blessings,
Shirley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin4smilesView Post
Burlington has hit the news today. The levee in Gulfport broke this morning and closed the Great River Bridge. The crest is now expected tomorrow at 26.1. We have already broke the record of the '93 flood. It is hard to believe how much damage has been done here is Iowa already. Just pray that the 7 mile levee in Burlington holds up as that is the one that is being watched closely now. Prayers going out to all.
DH is from Burlington and his folks and one brother still live there. Luckily, they live closer to HWY 61 and West Burlington so they're out of harms way. I've been looking at The Hawkeye on-line and keeping up on the news.

Keeping ya'll in my prayers.
Reply With Quote Likes