Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "Unmounting my wood mounted stamps" thread..

So I decided to unmount my stamps. At least starting slowly so that way i didn't have to re-attach a million stamps to my wood blocks. I have to say I hate them so far!

I started with some of my Studio g $1.00 stamps, and I just can't keep going. I love the look of some of my wood mounts, and I know I paid a good penny for a lot of them too. I have a lot of Hampton Arts and such, that although I don't use them often, I just can't bring myself to umount them knowing they look so pretty and knowing I spent 10.00 - 15.00 on them each :(

Anyone else in this dilemma only because you like the look of the wood mounts, but hate the storage space they take up?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my wood mounts....couldn't ever take them apart. I like also that they are ready to go! I guess I just deal with the space issue but only have about 65 sets of wood mounted and about 30 singles....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I would never unmount my stamps. I have a ton of unmounted too, and I love those. I guess it's just not worth the hassle to me. I just deal with the storage issue, which doesn't bother me either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could not part with the art of the blocks, but was running out of room. Here is what I did--or mostly did. I can always use another table top!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

No, sorry. I love my unmounted stamps becuase of ease of use as well as the space thing. I hope you figure it out soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
I could not part with the art of the blocks, but was running out of room. Here is what I did--or mostly did. I can always use another table top!!
Your link wasn't working - or not for me.
I was curious, so checked out your gallery, and taken the liberty of posting another link...Old blocks couldn't toss them! by Badger53186 at Splitcoaststampers
Cool idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am 80% or more unmounted but can't bring myself to unmount my house mouse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

While I never thought I'd say it, I couldn't be happier with my unmounted stamps. But, if you prefer the blocks, stick with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I am another vote for keeping them mounted. I do use some unmounted (came that way) but very much prefer the mounted ones. Just like the way they feel and that they are ready to use when you need them. I even bought some blocks from someone else so that I can mount some of mine that came unmounted. Space is of course an issue but not so much that I would consider unmounting. I have a ton of stamps that will all stay mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:07 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my unmounted stamps. I ran out of storage space and didn't want to sell any of them so unmounted is the only way I can keep all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I'm on the fence about it. I bought some stamp display shelves that my RSS was getting rid of, but my studio is in the basement and I'm limited in the walls I can attach the shelves to easily. I love the idea of unmounting, but I love the feel and ease of the wood blocks.

If I do unmount, I'm stealing Shannon's idea for using the blocks. That is beautiful!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

If mounted works for you, do it. You should enjoy the entire experience of stamping and for you that includes the beautiful wood blocks.

For me, unmounted is the. I'm just too lazy to unmount the 800-900 mounted stamps I do have. But I don't like being able to see through my block at all and hardly use my mounted stamps for that reason. And I like being able to have ALL my stamps in the CD cases at my fingertips rather than hunting through drawers looking for just the right wood one.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I unmounted all of my SU stamp sets and it was well worth it and I don't regret it. However, I still have some single mounted stamps on wood and I just put them in very large jars and store on a shelf. It looks cute I think. I prefer to have sets in my CD cases rather than singles everywhere so it's just easier for me to keep the singles mounted.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_anthonyView Post
So I decided to unmount my stamps. At least starting slowly so that way i didn't have to re-attach a million stamps to my wood blocks. I have to say I hate them so far!

I started with some of my Studio g $1.00 stamps, and I just can't keep going. I love the look of some of my wood mounts, and I know I paid a good penny for a lot of them too. I have a lot of Hampton Arts and such, that although I don't use them often, I just can't bring myself to umount them knowing they look so pretty and knowing I spent 10.00 - 15.00 on them each :(

Anyone else in this dilemma only because you like the look of the wood mounts, but hate the storage space they take up?

Stick with what you like, and you'll use your stamps more, and that's what it's all about, eh?!
:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I also started unmounting my versed stamps. The wood blocks works for images but I can never get the verses straight after I spent all that time on the image. Where is the best site to purchase the EZ foam mounting sheets? I need to buy in bulk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mostly mounted stamps and a good quantity of unmounted rubber and clear stamps. I have to say there are times when I really like the clear stamps--as far as lining up the images goes--but am still struggling to "love" my unmounted rubber stamps. For me, it's a pain to hunt up the right size block and being unmounted isn't a guarantee that I'm going to line anything up straight! Lol! Don't feel guilty for not loving the thing so many others do. If mounted works better for you and gives you a more pleasurable stamping experience--just do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I, too, am on the fence about unmounting my stamps. I am running out of room, but am nervous about taking them apart since I have invested so much money into them! Someone suggested starting with the stamps sets that I don't care for as much, and see what I think. I like the idea mentioned here of starting with the $1 stamps. I have the same question as Craftyohmom: where is the best place to buy EZ mount in bulk? Thanks for everyone's input!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had to unmount my SU stamps - I just couldn't have kept as many as I wanted if I didn't unmount. It was a little weird at first but the more I did it the easier it got. I think what helped was to start using the unmounted ones - once I realized that I was getting a great image , it wasn't an issue anymore. I realized it would make storage and organization easier and allow me to purchase other stamps. That's when I finally unmounted things like Changing Seasons, and other older sets. And the whole time I did it, I kept telling myself that what I really wanted were the images, I still had the images, I wasn't hurting the images!! LOL!! I felt insane.

I started unmounting over a year ago, I'd say - I only started stamping just over two years ago so it wasn't long after that. And I'm thrilled with it and would have been out of space and very frustrated if I hadn't. But even so, I only recently unmounted my SU background stamps. I have big blocks for my CHF backgrounders and scrapblocks anyway. What a relief to not have that big stack of wood!

I did reserve a storage drawer that's about 18 x 15 x 9 inches for wood-mounted stamps. Thomas Kinkade, House Mouse, Rambling Ted, some Penny Black, PSX and miscellaneous artsy stamps are in there. Right now I don't have a need to unmount them and the color index labels are beautiful on some of them, I want to keep them in their original state.

I really did go through what you are now - but then most of my unmounting was SU stamps that I hadn't had that long anyway. The unmounted stamps I have from other companies were purchased as bare rubber or cling-mounted. It sounds like you have quite the collection of individual stamps and it's hard for me to say just go for it as I feel your pain here, but I don't think you'd have started this thread if you didn't really want to take advantage of having more space.

Maybe you could compromise? Can you keep some mounted and unmount others? Some you mention you don't use that often - could you make a display to really enjoy the beauty of the stamps and feel you've acknowledged your appreciate of them?

You say you hate it so far ~~ because of getting rid of the beautiful wood and labels on them? Maybe with some that you've unmounted, you could stamp them out, color them if appropriate, and start either an index binder for your own enjoyment as well as organization?

I'm the first to advocate unmounting as it was a great choice for me. But I don't think anything about stamping or stamps should make you sad. Maybe it isn't the best choice for you. Have you checked out the gallery for stamping spaces and maybe more ideas for storage or display of your stamps?

I'll be curious to see what you end up doing so please post again whenever you decide. Please let us know - I hope you find a solution that you can be really happy with?

(sorry if this post is long and all over the board -lots of distractions, etc., but it's a good topic to discuss and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought my EZmount from Sunday International. Don't know if they're the best prices or not but I thought it was reasonable at the time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Your link wasn't working - or not for me.
I was curious, so checked out your gallery, and taken the liberty of posting another link...Old blocks couldn't toss them! by Badger53186 at Splitcoaststampers
Cool idea!
This is incredibly fabulous. I wish I had seen this before I peeled up the labels and put them on CD cases -- this is the coolest thing. Really really pretty. If I ever *have* to unmount the ones I haven't done yet - I'm going to do something like this ;)

ETA: I have a long post above - and had many distractions from my daughter as I wrote it. I have to say it's embarrassing and I apologize for grammatical and punctuation errors! That sort of thing just bugs me and usually I can catch them and edit - too late now.

Last edited by Phantom; 04-28-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

most of my stamps are now on halos as I add new ones to our line. occasionally i will put one on wood, i did the other day for one i will use on postal labels on packages cuz its sort of a logo id like to stamp on the packages. i put one stamp on both sides of the wood to save space. acrylic vs wood saves you about 75% of your space. i love the "see thru the block" that acrylic systems give me. i ran out of space with wood, but you will always find folks who cannot part with wood stamps. to each their own

my SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes