Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2023, 11:28 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Another price increase from Stampin Up

Stampin Up has already told demonstrators that there will be a price increase in the next catalog on ink, ink pads, cardstock, designer series paper, dies, markers, blends, punches, and tools. So just about everything. They had an increase last year too. I am not happy about this and I get 25% off.
At what point will Stampin Up push everyone out of the hobby? Last year they also had an increase in shipping, which was already overpriced (my opinion) so I hope they won't have an increase in shipping costs again.
Demonstrators will find out tomorrow afternoon how much increase we will see.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Paula in GA (04-12-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronaSueView Post
Stampin Up has already told demonstrators that there will be a price increase in the next catalog on ink, ink pads, cardstock, designer series paper, dies, markers, blends, punches, and tools. So just about everything. They had an increase last year too. I am not happy about this and I get 25% off.
At what point will Stampin Up push everyone out of the hobby? Last year they also had an increase in shipping, which was already overpriced (my opinion) so I hope they won't have an increase in shipping costs again.
Demonstrators will find out tomorrow afternoon how much increase we will see.
They won't. There are MANY sources for paper, envelopes, stamps, tools, etc. This hobby is not exclusively Stampin' Up!'s to control.
My personal situation, though, is such that if every papercrafting company closed in the next month, I could still make things for a long, long time. I bet there's a few of you on here that could say the same 😉
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 16 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Alice in Md (03-28-2023), Arlene_C (03-27-2023), bzzzeee (03-28-2023), Chinocookie (03-29-2023), desertdeb (03-27-2023), DianeinSparks (03-28-2023), duranfan (04-19-2023), hoptownracer1 (03-27-2023), jdmommy (03-30-2023), pepperann (03-29-2023), Ragtop (03-27-2023), RCAP99 (04-02-2023), RJP111 (03-31-2023), STINKY (04-04-2023), VeronaSue (03-27-2023), wavejumper (03-30-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Not happy to hear about the price increase. I feel they have a good quality product, but everything is getting so expensive. I have been buying SU products for more than 25 years. I remember when cardstock was around $4 a pack, you could get a decent stamp set for $15-$20, and the hostess rewards were impressive. I used to get oodles of free merchandise when I hosted a workshop. Now if I am throwing a supply order together and my total is $120.00, it doesn't pay to spend an extra $30 to qualify for a workshop. Their current hostess program is so disappointing. If I weren't a hobby demonstrator, I would probably cut ties. I have become extremely selective with my purchases. With another price increase, I will cut back on my purchases even more.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Muvs:
Arlene_C (03-27-2023), ChrisO (03-28-2023), pepperann (03-29-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 03:12 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Prices are going up on everything. Today I watched HSN craft day... didn't purchase a single item. Shipping used to be $5. for the day, it is now $7. Everything is frustrating and out of our control. Sad.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 04:10 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There Cardstock has doubled since I started. It great paper but getting way to expensive. And dies are so expensive, how do other companies sell their dues so cheap. Definitely need to slow down on my purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinmom57View Post
And dies are so expensive, how do other companies sell their dues so cheap.
Most companies selling cheap dies have stolen the ideas (usually via the internet) and manufactured them from inferior supplies, thus avoiding the costs of creating and making better quality products. (At least one wonderful American company has stopped selling some of its products because of the ultra-cheap copycats available online.)

I'd much rather have fewer high-quality, ethically-made supplies than support those bad characters.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 10 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
bobkitten (04-01-2023), bzzzeee (03-28-2023), Charlene78 (03-31-2023), ChrisO (03-29-2023), cnsteele (03-29-2023), gaylestamps (03-29-2023), leibetty (03-29-2023), lynkim (04-20-2023), smhtwin (03-29-2023), stampscout (03-30-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
They won't. There are MANY sources for paper, envelopes, stamps, tools, etc. This hobby is not exclusively Stampin' Up!'s to control.
My personal situation, though, is such that if every papercrafting company closed in the next month, I could still make things for a long, long time. I bet there's a few of you on here that could say the same 😉
You are not alone! 😀 I have been making cards using lots of retired products since my budget does not allow for many new purchases. I value quality over quantity, and will not buy knock off products so I choose carefully. I have used SU cardstock pretty much exclusively since I started stamping around 1999. I love the colors, the quality, and how the images stamp so beautifully on SU paper. I am waiting for the color refresh to restock some of my paper. I don’t know what the cost per pack will be, but currently a sheet of color cardstock is about $0.39 before shipping and I get two card bases out of that. I figure for the cost of less than 2 store bought cards I can make 48 card bases using supplies that are enjoyable to work with. I suppose there is cheaper paper out there but I enjoy working with these supplies and an important distinction to me is the company is based in the USA. It seems most products from various companies have increased in price, the economy is hurting most of us. I rarely spend money on myself but this is a small splurge that makes me happy with the final result. It takes me forever to finish a card so that is important to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by bzzzeee:
Arlene_C (03-29-2023), carolc1027 (07-01-2023), cnsteele (03-29-2023), desertdeb (03-29-2023), Drummergirlred (04-04-2023), gaylestamps (03-29-2023), leibetty (03-29-2023), lynnewithane (03-31-2023), mrsclark2001 (04-20-2023), pepperann (03-29-2023), RJP111 (03-31-2023), wavejumper (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:56 AM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
You are not alone! 😀 I have been making cards using lots of retired products since my budget does not allow for many new purchases. I value quality over quantity, and will not buy knock off products so I choose carefully. I have used SU cardstock pretty much exclusively since I started stamping around 1999. I love the colors, the quality, and how the images stamp so beautifully on SU paper. I am waiting for the color refresh to restock some of my paper. I don’t know what the cost per pack will be, but currently a sheet of color cardstock is about $0.39 before shipping and I get two card bases out of that. I figure for the cost of less than 2 store bought cards I can make 48 card bases using supplies that are enjoyable to work with. I suppose there is cheaper paper out there but I enjoy working with these supplies and an important distinction to me is the company is based in the USA. It seems most products from various companies have increased in price, the economy is hurting most of us. I rarely spend money on myself but this is a small splurge that makes me happy with the final result. It takes me forever to finish a card so that is important to me.
Your post is a restorative breath of fresh air! You sound so cheerful, happy, and content. I, too, value quality over quantity since I get more enjoyment from a product that is a pleasure to use rather than a variety from which to choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Arlene_C (03-29-2023), bzzzeee (03-29-2023), desertdeb (03-29-2023), Drummergirlred (04-04-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 04:38 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Your post is a restorative breath of fresh air! You sound so cheerful, happy, and content. I, too, value quality over quantity since I get more enjoyment from a product that is a pleasure to use rather than a variety from which to choose.
Thank you! That is very sweet of you to say. 🥰
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts

One way I have found to enjoy lots more stamp sets is to share among friends. I have three friends in my small area who stamp and we all share supplies. My sister has even more stamping friends in her area and they share as well. It is silly to "all" have the same sets when you can share and have a bigger variety. We have not had issues with anyone misusing supplies.
I realize most demonstrators would frown on this but we all have to find out what works best for us. We also have a demonstrator who sells to us at a discount (25%) so these increases don't sting quite so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by VeronaSue:
Arlene_C (03-29-2023), beaddict (04-05-2023), ChrisO (03-29-2023), cnsteele (03-29-2023), desertdeb (03-29-2023), duranfan (04-21-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:23 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

It's not just Stampin'Up! - EVERYONE is raising their prices AND their shipping (at least, everyone I have been shopping with). I was a die-hard Unity fan for quite some time, but their prices are rapidly outpacing my budget and the freebies you get at certain price points are just not worth it any more. Stampingbella's prices have gone up and they charge $7.95 shipping even if you only order one item. These are just two examples. My thought is that supply-chain issues and availability of materials and their manufacturing and shipping costs have all played into their need to raise prices. I don't think any of it is malicious or greedy - just the cost of doing business. It's up to us as consumers to choose where we will/will not spend our dollars. It does make a good case for shopping our stashes and getting creative to get the most out of what we have (which, in my case just as in Nicole's, is waaay more than I can use up any time soon).

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 16 users liked this post by gregzgurl:
Arlene_C (03-29-2023), bobkitten (04-01-2023), bzzzeee (03-30-2023), Chinocookie (03-30-2023), ChrisO (03-30-2023), cjzim (04-14-2023), desertdeb (03-29-2023), DianeinSparks (03-29-2023), duranfan (04-21-2023), fl_beachbum (04-28-2023), jdmommy (03-30-2023), leibetty (03-31-2023), lynnewithane (03-29-2023), Paula in GA (04-12-2023), RJP111 (03-31-2023), stampscout (03-30-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 04:22 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
Most companies selling cheap dies have stolen the ideas (usually via the internet) and manufactured them from inferior supplies, thus avoiding the costs of creating and making better quality products. (At least one wonderful American company has stopped selling some of its products because of the ultra-cheap copycats available online.)

I'd much rather have fewer high-quality, ethically-made supplies than support those bad characters.
I am curious. Can you give a hint as to what company has stopped some of its products due to the copycats?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I am curious. Can you give a hint as to what company has stopped some of its products due to the copycats?
Thanks.
I know of one item by name: Memory Box discontinued Bubble Burst. I asked a large seller of Memory Box products about it after seeing it labeled as "*********" brand on a Facebook group I follow. Good, reputable USA designers, including Stampin Up and many, many others, spend a lot of money designing stamps and dies only to find their designs quickly copied, often slightly reduced in size, and then put up for sale with the original samples also copied and included on Amazon, ebay, Etsy, and **** and for a fraction of the original price. Meanwhile, the original manufacturers pay lawyers to pursue the copycats for copyright infringement, thus raising their costs.

While the purchasers may think they're getting a good deal for cheap, they're slowly putting the original producers out of business or at least forcing them to change their business models and output.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
bzzzeee (04-02-2023), cailinriley (04-01-2023), cnsteele (04-02-2023), lynkim (04-20-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I would like to add to Alice's post that I think it is insult on top of injury to use either the mfg's or DT's sample card when they do it. Nasty!

Brands often copied would be the artist Mo Manning (she has been fighting it for years) and Penny Black's stuff (Plus Manning's when she was with them)...I can't remember now who else but I know there is more for sure. It is a real thing. I would think anything seen to be popular. Anyone who has been involved in any business knows companies live for a hot item for their bottom line. Wrong of the copiers to do it.

Unfortunately due to the global aspect of the internet we could all boycott that and they would likely still sell enough to the rest of the world to keep doing it.

Quote:

I know of one item by name: Memory Box discontinued Bubble Burst. I asked a large seller of Memory Box products about it after seeing it labeled as "*********" brand on a Facebook group I follow. Good, reputable USA designers, including Stampin Up and many, many others, spend a lot of money designing stamps and dies only to find their designs quickly copied, often slightly reduced in size, and then put up for sale with the original samples also copied and included on Amazon, ebay, Etsy, and **** and for a fraction of the original price. Meanwhile, the original manufacturers pay lawyers to pursue the copycats for copyright infringement, thus raising their costs.

While the purchasers may think they're getting a good deal for cheap, they're slowly putting the original producers out of business or at least forcing them to change their business models and output.

Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (04-20-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.
I know the practice exists, and I completely understand why it is theft. I’m not familiar with Memory Box or Berry Burst, and while I am familiar with Penny Black, I don’t think I’ve purchased from them. I had an ad pop up the other day, and it was very easy to tell it was a copycat of Stampin Up. I’m not so sure I would recognize some other brands being copied. Then again, I don’t buy stamps and such from Ali Express, Wish, etc., so I guess I’m safe.

Last edited by lynnewithane; 04-03-2023 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (04-20-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 10:52 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

I have enough to last me the rest of my life. I’d just need envelopes!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Allistamps:
bettyjoanes (04-23-2023), bzzzeee (04-09-2023), ChrisO (04-19-2023), VeronaSue (04-09-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to see the prices go up, but truly everything in the world has gotten so expensive! I honestly have enough supplies that I could go a long, long time without buying anything but white cardstock and adhesive. I also have enough stamps that I'm pretty selective and don't buy that many. Although I hate to see the punches and dies get so expensive. I really like using those. SU is definitely my favorite card stock, and I love how the colors coordinate. I have a pretty tight budget, so normally I save up and make one big purchase a year from SU to make the shipping cost worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (04-19-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 12:15 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I find prices are higher regardless of company. I live in a small town, nearest Michaels or scrapbbooking store is 3-4 hours away, so SU gives me quality cardstock/products and I support a demo/ friend as a small business. We also loan out stamps/dies among ourselves, and I also purchase online. I do agree that the rip off designs sold are costing these companies big dollars to fight and may be one reason why prices are higher. I refuse to buy pirated goods, and perhaps if everyone did, prices may go down?
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (04-20-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:44 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

While I do purchase on occasion from SU, I purchase more from many companies. The big reason is their shipping costs. I am fortunate that I have two stores in my city that cover many big named stamp companies. Both stores have blogs, videos etc showing all the newest stamps.
I simply have to drive down and pick up. No waiting two weeks sometimes more and no shipping fees.Both will also order in stamps for me if they don’t stock it.
I am sure the stores have allowed for their own costs of shipping,but buying such large quantities for a store is lower than paying 9.95 Cdn for a $10 item for example.
I am fortunate that I have this option. When purchasing from SU I really have to want that stamp because I will get a lot of use out of it. I try not to buy on impulse from any company, but sadly I do succumb occasionally .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2023, 08:02 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Just recently a friend bought a Stampin Up stamp set, then happened to see the exact same set in Dollar Tree. The. Exact. Same. Thing. Doubtful quality is the same, but that doesn't help SU with their price point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2023, 08:27 AM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by duranfanView Post
Just recently a friend bought a Stampin Up stamp set, then happened to see the exact same set in Dollar Tree. The. Exact. Same. Thing. Doubtful quality is the same, but that doesn't help SU with their price point.
Ok, this is making me question where the Dollar Tree gets its inventory! Of course, I don't expect top-of-the-line quality from the merchandise there, but I also don't expect them to buy from companies known to sell product made from stolen ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cnsteele:
fl_beachbum (04-28-2023), lynkim (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 08:55 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Last fall I visited a scrapbook store in Vegas. She has some stamp sets I'd seen at Dollar Tree listed for $4.95. Same packaging and everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2023, 01:47 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by duranfanView Post
Last fall I visited a scrapbook store in Vegas. She has some stamp sets I'd seen at Dollar Tree listed for $4.95. Same packaging and everything.
The sets look the same because the design was stolen, you see the same thing on AllieExpress, Amazon, **** etc. Stolen from companies who pay designers and artists, which is why their prices are higher. I get the stolen (pirated) sets/dies are cheaper in price because the thief isn't paying anything upfront other than the cost of mass producing stolen designs. I know this hobby can be expensive, but I will wait and save up and buy from the legitimate companies, buying cheap, stolen knock offs is supporting crime whether it be papercrafting or clothing. I have even seen some of Dina Kowal's designs from IO on these sites, please support the original designers and not the thieves.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 8 users liked this post by lynkim:
Alice in Md (04-27-2023), allee's (04-22-2023), bzzzeee (04-22-2023), ChrisO (04-22-2023), cnsteele (04-22-2023), duranfan (04-27-2023), stampinstacy2010 (04-23-2023), stampscout (04-29-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I totally agree! Not into buying stolen ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't ordered from either SU or CTMH for awhile now. Oh, and here's another thing that's increasing in price.

THE COST OF STAMPS might be going up as well. US Postage stamps were raised to 63 cents in mid January, 2023, and I recently read they might be raised again to 66 cents sometime in July.

"Back in my day" I remember when I paid 13 cents a stamp--mid 70's!!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2023, 05:43 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts
Default stamp price

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannaramaView Post
I haven't ordered from either SU or CTMH for awhile now. Oh, and here's another thing that's increasing in price.

THE COST OF STAMPS might be going up as well. US Postage stamps were raised to 63 cents in mid January, 2023, and I recently read they might be raised again to 66 cents sometime in July.

"Back in my day" I remember when I paid 13 cents a stamp--mid 70's!!.
I have a poster board display I made my first year of teaching (1969) with the envelope from an author reply to my class letter. 6 cents......

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2023, 07:14 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,918 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Dollar tree had three stampin up sets when I was in last week. I bought one to compare quality. They are made by a company called Crafters Square. People should not even waste their money. The quality is terrible, which I was pretty sure it would be. I already had the set by stamping up. I only bought it because I wanted to compare. I sent pictures of the three to stampin up but they never responded so apparently they're not concerned about it.

My friend is a hobby demo. We have classes once a month. These price increases will soon push out hobby demos. She can't afford to keep buying new products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2023, 07:47 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

My friend who is also my demo doesn't always buy the new stuff. She may pick up a new stamp or die if it is not similar to any retired product. She does purchase the new in color cardstock and does buy some of the new dsp. She will use retired products similar to new products and make a point of showing the new in the catty. I don't blame her either, especially with a color refresh. She used to sell the retired ink pads, markers, refills, cardstock etc. to stay current only to have to repurchase when the color was brought back, there are seven returning colors in the new catty, that is a huge reinvestment for those demos who follow the rules of only using current product (even with a discount). She has a small group of "customers" all of whom have been stamping for years so we don't necessarily need the new either. I think we all help her make her quota with stocking up on essentials, some new products. She has definitely voiced retirement from SU though.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lynkim:
ChrisO (04-28-2023), muscrat (04-28-2023), VeronaSue (04-28-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Lots of Other Companies

There are LOTS of other companies with really good quality items, that are cheaper than SU, and I don’t ever buy knock offs. The other companies offer really good sales, and I rarely pay for shipping. If they are out of stock, I don’t have to worry about the items being discontinued. I just wait awhile, and I can purchase the items I want, usually on sale. The other companies also offer the latest products in the paper crafting industry, while SU keeps selling similar products, catalogue after catalogue.

I have no idea why SU has such a strong fan base, when they gouge their demonstrators, and customers, and have such stale inventory. Their quality also isn’t what it used to be, and they discontinue their products very quickly. I’d rather spend my money on the latest paper crafting products, than spend money on the latest color refresh, In Colors, or new tools. I already have perfectly good cardstock, a good trimmer, and a good big shot machine. SU has had 2 color refreshes since I signed up. I’d rather go out and buy a foiling machine, and foils than invest in their latest color refresh, and In Colors.

When I found Jennifer McGuire, I realized that other good quality companies sell stamps that are much cheaper than SU. Jennifer lists current sales on her website, and the latest products in the industry. Simon Says Stamp, Spellbinders (and their yummy foils), Scrapbook.com, Ellen Hutson, Gina K, Tim Holtz, Trinity Stamps, Altenew, Brutus Monroe, etc., etc. This is just a small number of reputable companies that sell very good paper crafting products. Why be tied down to one company, when you can choose from a wide variety, at a lower price? I don’t get it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2023, 12:54 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Received 864 Likes on 515 Posts

One of the companies whose stamps I like increased their shipping rate to $12. If I just wanted to buy a clear stamp set or two (which is mostly what they sell), that is really high. Although, their stamps are reasonably priced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifesABeach48View Post
There are LOTS of other companies with really good quality items, that are cheaper than SU, and I don’t ever buy knock offs. The other companies offer really good sales, and I rarely pay for shipping. If they are out of stock, I don’t have to worry about the items being discontinued. I just wait awhile, and I can purchase the items I want, usually on sale. The other companies also offer the latest products in the paper crafting industry, while SU keeps selling similar products, catalogue after catalogue.

I have no idea why SU has such a strong fan base, when they gouge their demonstrators, and customers, and have such stale inventory. Their quality also isn’t what it used to be, and they discontinue their products very quickly. I’d rather spend my money on the latest paper crafting products, than spend money on the latest color refresh, In Colors, or new tools. I already have perfectly good cardstock, a good trimmer, and a good big shot machine. SU has had 2 color refreshes since I signed up. I’d rather go out and buy a foiling machine, and foils than invest in their latest color refresh, and In Colors.

When I found Jennifer McGuire, I realized that other good quality companies sell stamps that are much cheaper than SU. Jennifer lists current sales on her website, and the latest products in the industry. Simon Says Stamp, Spellbinders (and their yummy foils), Scrapbook.com, Ellen Hutson, Gina K, Tim Holtz, Trinity Stamps, Altenew, Brutus Monroe, etc., etc. This is just a small number of reputable companies that sell very good paper crafting products. Why be tied down to one company, when you can choose from a wide variety, at a lower price? I don’t get it?
I buy 99% exclusively SU! so I'll give you my reasons (and these aren't given defensively or meant to be a criticism of what you like; I thought I would just answer your question, that's all, under the assumption that you were honestly looking for other opinions).

-Too many choices overwhelms me. I enjoy the simplicity and ease of dealing with one company and its products.
-I really, really love being a part of a team. Yes, there are crafting communities (SCS is a great example) but being on a SU! team feels different to me and is a great joy in my life.
-SU!'s minimums keeps me on a budget. It gives me boundaries for my craft spending. I can afford to spend more, but there is no need to and so the minimums help discipline my wants.
-While I agree with you that SU!'s quality is not as superior as it used to be, it is still good enough that I enjoy working with the products.
-I am not one to search for the newest in the stamping industry, so SU! not having the latest and greatest doesn't matter to me. In fact, stamps aren't even part of my purchases anymore; consumables are and since I love what SU! offers in terms of color, embellishments, ribbons, papers, adhesives, etc. I'm happy to stick with them.
-I love SU!'s culture, and to experience that culture when I go to its events refreshes my soul.
-SU! has been an easy way for me to make friends and connect with other women. There are other ways, I know, but this particular path has worked well for me.

With all that being said, I do enjoy watching Tim Holtz's live demos (the man is a creative genius and his genuine passion for the art is inspiring).
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Arlene_C (05-02-2023), barbiejo (05-03-2023), duranfan (05-04-2023), lovinpaper (05-02-2023), lynkim (05-02-2023), lynnewithane (05-03-2023), RCAP99 (05-03-2023), Soozie4Him (05-04-2023), VeronaSue (12-16-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 02:38 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I also buy from other companies, but shipping can be ridiculous to Canada, so I buy from 2 companies who obviously subsidize the shipping to Canada, and offer a variety of products from others. I have noticed that prices have gone up though, and many stamps and dies that I like are comparable to SU. The Canadian SU catty has higher prices than the US one, the exchange is built in, prices online do not reflect that so I always calculate what my price roughly is. I wanted a HA monthly kit, the s&h was almost the same price as the kit, without paying duty if they decide to charge me that ( I usually have smaller orders and luck out with that). I like the quality of the SU cardstock and the coordination of inks, ribbons, embellishments to match. I do agree that some sets seem to be a rehash, but there are also new fresh products. I swear they all have a meeting and set the trends, because you see similar in other companies, ie veggies and citrus fruit right now. I have to say that being hours away from a big box store or a small independent store, I rely on SU for paper, to order it and have it shipped from elsewhere is too pricey, paper is heavy! In the end, the main goal is to get crafty and create, and try not to spend too much, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes