Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Angel Policy

I have a question on the angel policies. Does any one have a picture of the back of a card with more than one company listed. Just curious if anyone uses multiple companies stamps on a card.
Just wasn't sure if you used the stamps and paper of one company for cards you sell or if you mixed them up.
thank you.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.� Eleanor Roosevelt

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
JTK (05-09-2024)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I don't put anyone's name on the back of my cards except mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
JTK (05-09-2024)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:00 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all my Daughter is a PHI MU! I would be interested to know the answer to this too. I have been asked by a friend to make some cards to sell in her wine shop.
I don't want to violate any Angel Policies, but I don't want to have my card backs filled with stamp company names and copyrights. I was thinking of stamping the sentiment
on a piece of paper to include in the clear envelope so people can see it. maybe a "disclaimer" saying that the images are hand stamped and the artwork is "company name" Sentiment by Company name? not sure if that would fufill the Angel Policy or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
JTK (05-09-2024)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

The easiest thing to do if you to want to sell imho is go with the companies who have a wide open angel policy-make as many as you want, no acknowledgement. They do exist.

Or use companies who are closed now.

Having said that...I like the idea of a slip of paper...I would just say products from the following companies were used in this handmade design and list them. Not be specific image or sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
JTK (05-09-2024)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its your choice to "abide" by the angel policy, but remember that it is only a policy and not a contract. You're not legally obligated to put their name on your cards. The cards are your work - not theirs - so the only name that really needs to go there is your own.

I don't put other company advertising on my cards when I sell them - not unless they want to pay me for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
JTK (05-09-2024)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

Examples of what I call fully open policies (there are more):

100 Proof Press
Copyright Policy - 100 PROOF PRESS

A-Muse
https://amusestudio.com/pages/copyright-policy

After Midnight-only wants credit if you publish-scroll all the way to the bottom
AZ Rubber Stamping Gourd Art Retreats Classes Tim Holtz Products

See what I mean? And I am not even through the A's yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Its your choice to "abide" by the angel policy, but remember that it is only a policy and not a contract. You're not legally obligated to put their name on your cards. The cards are your work - not theirs - so the only name that really needs to go there is your own... [snip]
That wouldn't be copyright violation? No contract is needed for protection under copyright law.

Including a slip of paper, if that wasn't part of a stamp company's policy, wouldn't satisfy it. But the odds of a stamp company knowing someone is selling cards in a small shop or craft show seems like it would be really small. Just guessing though, and everyone has to determine their own tolerance for risk and for what's right or wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know many will disagree, but "angel policies" are not legally enforceable under the law. Here is a very interesting website with info:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...elPolicy.shtml

Here is an excerpt:

"Rubber stamps are sold with the intent the purchaser make images from them. Without a signed contract stating otherwise, cottage licenses and angel policies are just so much hot air. The reverse raised image on the rubber stamp is not copyrighted because it is a tool and tools cannot be copyrighted. A rubber stamp cannot be patented.The courts have recognized there are limited ways to express designs and images. Simple images have little if no protection. After all, how many different ways are there to draw a rose, the petals and the leaves? To allow someone a copyright on a simple rose design would be to grant them a monopoly on all designs using a rose. The courts uniformly reject that idea. Complicated patterns exhibit a greater degree of creativeness and are subsequently more protectable. But how complicated can a design be on a rubber stamp? Not very.
But a design does not have to be complicated to be protected. We have some rubber stamps (purchased at Hobby Lobby) of Peanuts characters. Even if these rubber stamps contained a warning restricting their use, the use restrictions would not be enforceable because they were licensed by Peanuts and United Media. No one bothers to ask you if you agree to the terms before purchase. And even if you said NO!, they would sell it to you anyway. A limited use contract cannot be formed under these circumstances.
Cottage Licenses and Angel Policies are nothing more than a pile of crap. Cricut, and Provo Crafts, who have a notorious Angel Policy, are on this web site as members of the Tabberone Trademark and Copyright Abusers Hall Of Shame."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 04-23-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
JTK (05-09-2024)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, a very enthusiastic opinion! Others disagree. For example, a few attorneys' answers, and there are lots more:

Can companies restrict how you use their copyri - Q&A - Avvo

"Copyright gives the copyright holder the right to prevent someone from making any use of their copyrighted work without their permission, therefore they can also set certain restrictions on the use. [snip]

BTW, I'm Switzerland, neutral. If I was selling cards I might give credit to a small company for a little PR. Or if I was doing large-scale selling, I might consult an IP attorney. But selling a few cards at a little shop? I personally wouldn't worry about it. If it was just one company's stamp I might include it, not if there were four, or maybe I'd include the focal stamp.

(My worry is more cheap Chinese knock-offs that will drive more designers and companies out of business.)
Reply With Quote Likes
JTK (05-09-2024)