Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question am I over-reacting?

Hey everyone - just a quick question! I have a swap listed that I have had posted for about a week or two now and today I went to bump it and saw a similar swap on there and thought I would check it out. Well, I opened it and started reading and was very confused . . . it was pretty much word for word my post. The only thing changed was the dates and some of the stuff was left out, but it was literally copied and pasted. Would that bother you? or am I just over reacting? It took me a long time to get that post together and I just don't like my hard work being taken! I understand there are a TON of ribbon swaps, but come on! at least type your own post to start it out!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stampin' Fool

It would bother me, you need to report it to the moderator.
Hardware Hotshot

I hope the person didn't copy and paste your words. I would never feel comfortable doing something like that, so I think your feelings are legitimate.
Die Cut Diva

It would bother me too!! I would have to question it, especially if you think is was copy and pasted!!

1 of Kota's kids
Polyshrink Goddess

I normally don't even notice that type of thing but in this case, it is pretty obvious that it was copied. But I want to give the other post the benefit of the doubt. She probably didn't think there was a problem with doing that. Why don't you send her a PM? It may be too late to fix this problem but it would let her know not to do it in the future.
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybooView Post
I normally don't even notice that type of thing but in this case, it is pretty obvious that it was copied. But I want to give the other post the benefit of the doubt. She probably didn't think there was a problem with doing that. Why don't you send her a PM? It may be too late to fix this problem but it would let her know not to do it in the future.
I was going to say something in a PM, but I'm afraid she might get offended and post on my swap thread making people not want to join.
immzw4

Do you have a link to your swap? If there's enough time left, I might want to join!

As for copying and pasting, what is it they say about the greatest form of flattery? I can see why you'd be upset, but the person who copied might have just thought you did such an awesome job and she didn't feel she could do any better. Not that it makes it okay, but I like to try to be positive. You must have done really well with your words! I would probably PM the person and tell her you're afraid your two swaps might look like they're in competition, especially since she used your words with different dates and maybe ask her if she intended that. Honestly, if she gets offended, that is her problem and I wouldn't worry about her sabotaging your swap - I think the moderators might take issue with that kind of nasty behavior.

Good luck and post your swap link so I can check it out!!

immzw4

Never mind - it's in your signature! I'm there!

Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeh, I see what you mean about the same wording ... pretty big coincidence, eh?
Keep your swap promoted, don't worry about the other one would be my advice. There's probably not a lot you can do about it, and worrying/fussing will only give you ulcers.
Gabfest Goddess

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you both can have a successful swap. I see many people copy the same wording for many things on here. Check out a lot of our blog "copyrights". Most of them are identical.

Good luck with your swap. I'm sure it will be a "okay".

My Gallery
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by khanek82View Post
I was going to say something in a PM, but I'm afraid she might get offended and post on my swap thread making people not want to join.
So you think calling her out in general stamping was nicer and less chance to offend than sending her a pm?????

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

K guys........ lets be nice to each other. Jeanne S -SCS Moderator
Insane Embellisher

Received 162 Likes on 86 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5View Post
So you think calling her out in general stamping was nicer and less chance to offend than sending her a pm?????
I think basically she was asking for advice as in...."Would that also bother you? Am I over reacting?"...and wanted to know what to do.

Denise
Watercolor Wizard

I think basically that it's rude to talk about something on a public board that you are offended by in this manner without a courtesy pm to the person that upset you. Here some person is out there either 1) oblivious that everyone is talking about her or 2) reading this thread and really hurt by it.

Sorry - that's how I feel. I wouldn't want a thread started about something I did without the person coming to me first. But then, maybe I just have PMS tonight.

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by in2stampsView Post
I think basically she was asking for advice as in...."Would that also bother you? Am I over reacting?"...and wanted to know what to do.

Denise
Exactly~ She is probably just curious if this is the norm~
I think that a lot of people 'cut & paste' but not verbatim.

Just keep on bumping up your swap!!:-D

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Insane Embellisher

i have something to say about this website.... i may get the boot but oh well!. i have been coming on here for over 2 years now. i have seen many discussions on here and i have to say that there are just some rude people on here!!! my daughter posted this thread. she is a new demo that is getting very frustrated and cannot believe the negativity!
shortly after signing up (i mean very shortly after!!) her fiance relocated and they had to move away. she is really trying to make a go of her business but she keeps getting... shall we say pooped on!!! she came here to splitcoast ( i sent here here!!) for help and guidance. i help her as much as i can from long distance but it's hard when we are 3.5 hours apart!!
she had almost all her sets retire in june. she decided to trade some of her retired stuff with someone (on SCS) for current stuff but was ripped off after she sent her $50 worth of stamps out. ended up with nothing!
then she signed up for a comment thing where you comment on 2 things in someone's gallery and then someone else comments on 2 things in your gallery....she get's one comment and it was a "nice job".
then she decides to host a shoebox swap and was "told" (and not so nicely!!) to check with someone else first to see if that person was doing one around the same time. she checked and was given the go ahead and then that person ended up hosting one anyway, even after she said she wasn't!
she signed up for a pay it forward RAK and sent off her stuff as she promised. she is still waiting for even an acknowledgement from the person that was to pay it forward to her.
my daughter decides to host a ribbon swap and has someone literally copy her post on her. she was having a hard enough time getting people to sign up for it and now there is another swap EXACTLY the same as hers. come on already!!! enough is enough. this is not turning out the way she hoped, which is sad because she really loves stamping and she is thinking of just throwing in the towel!!! so far she is not liking splitcoaststampers very much! in this messed up world we live in, we come here to share ideas and to get to know people who have a common interest. in that regard, you'd think we could all have a mutual respect towards each other.
Die Cut Diva

Wow it seems like she is being 'stalked' with a ton of stamping problems!! I sure hope things get better for her as stamping is such a great hobby and a great business for some. I'm not a demo, just hooked on SU!! The only place I've encountered the rudeness is in CE.
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:( I sounds like this was just the straw that broke the camel's back for you. I am sorry for all you have been through...that was a lengthy list your Mom wrote! Geeze! You have not had a fun run of it, that is for sure!

We are military and I know every 2-3 years when we move, I have to essentially restart my business (I do not demo for SU...I do another HBB). Our upline tells us it takes a year to get back into it. Building that customer base is tough work. I so empathize with your situation.

And I rarely get comments on my cards! ;) My friend from here in Japan always gives me warm fuzzies, but otherwise I do the comment rounds, too. Sometimes people do only leave 1 comment...I think they just forgot or did not read the first post carefully. I would not take offense to that...the next time you join in you may have better luck.

Pertaining to the original post, I would just PM the person who cut and paste your swap. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt...I would assume she did not do it maliciously. Without being accusatory, I think if you just tell her how it makes you feel, she will probably apologize.

Please don't leave SCS just yet...many, many of us are here to support you!
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had a lot of problems on this website. I always see posts of people that are great friends, and hear about how people on here make life-long friends and things like that - and a lot of people have been pretty rude to me.

I wrote this post because I was curious as to if that is normal or not. I had a PM written to her - but I didn't want to come across rude and I didn't want to address something that may not even be an issue, so I thought I'd get some feedback before I sent one.

and if you ask me, it is a lot ruder to yell at someone on a general forum than it is to ask a simple question - regardless of if you are PMSing or not. I didn't name anyone - I didn't even post the two swaps, so really I didn't try and "call anyone out"

And finally - a good thing FINALLY happened to me on here! The girl that was supposed to pay it forward to me PM'd me last night and said she was sorry she missed me on the thread, but she will send it out soon.
Chat Box Chick

I'm glad you heard something on the pay it forward! I'm sure that makes you feel a little better. I know it would for me.

I'm sorry you have had so many things go wrong. Getting started with a stamping business is hard enough without all of that on top of it. I really hope you stick around on SCS. There truly are people here who want to "talk stamping" and who are willing to help with any questions you have.

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I have had a lot of problems on this website. I always see posts of people that are great friends, and hear about how people on here make life-long friends and things like that - and a lot of people have been pretty rude to me.

I wrote this post because I was curious as to if that is normal or not. I had a PM written to her - but I didn't want to come across rude and I didn't want to address something that may not even be an issue, so I thought I'd get some feedback before I sent one.
and if you ask me, it is a lot ruder to yell at someone on a general forum than it is to ask a simple question - regardless of if you are PMSing or not. I didn't name anyone - I didn't even post the two swaps, so really I didn't try and "call anyone out"
I think the person who replied to this comment was just stating that a lot of us read the posts and it is very hurtful to have a thread started that is about you.

I'm really sorry that you are having a hard time with SCS. It's really not all that bad and you can form strong friendships on here. Give it more time. Looks like you have been around for 6 months but I am sure after a bit more you will also have some great friendships on here.

Also, if you need any help with your SU business just PM me. I am currently retired but I have been a career demo for the past 6 years and had to start my business from scratch 3 times. I'd love to give you tips.

Have a better day!

My Gallery
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not going anywhere and I didn't mean to "call any one out" or anything like that. Just trying to get some feedback! anyways - thank you all for your comments and your support. I know that SCS is basically good and I can't let the bad bug me too much!
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I'm not going anywhere and I didn't mean to "call any one out" or anything like that. Just trying to get some feedback! anyways - thank you all for your comments and your support. I know that SCS is basically good and I can't let the bad bug me too much!
Great! I look forward to seeing what you create and post about in the future. Good luck with your swap! I used to participate in ribbon swaps about 5 years ago but found I just want the entire roll! LOL! I have a problem with hoarding ribbon. ;)

My Gallery
Kookie Creator

Red face happens a lot

Hi,

NO I HAVE NOT HOSTEST A SWAP, EVER.

In the 3 years that I have belonged to the general side I have found that when I read the swaps (on the general side) a lot of them are copyed almost word for word. Just the dates are changed and sometimes the type of swap, e.g. Halloween Treat to Christmas Stocking Stuffer, etc. It must be hard to make the wording your own by now and do it right.

I joined a lot of Marleene's swaps until she became ill & dropped out. I found a lot of people copyed her wording & you still find her wording out there. She had the wording down. It was great. If I remember right she even commented once. (I suffer from CRS or can't remember s**t)

When you find the correct wording and copy it things are not forgotton, e.g. NO METERED POSTAGE, place in own bag in a larger bag, etc.

I know that if I would do a swap, I would look over other wording to see what others have done so I would not forget anything.

I hope this all made some sense. I do not mean to make any one feel bad. Just my 2 cents worth.

Betty
Pearl-ExPert

I am really astonished and no you are not overreacting. Word for word, even the "I thought........" I mean honestly that takes a lot of gall to do that, how tactless to have someone copy even THAT!!

I would report it if I were you, really tacky to take even your "I thought it would be ..." part.
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
I think the person who replied to this comment was just stating that a lot of us read the posts and it is very hurtful to have a thread started that is about you.
Exactly.

If you have an issue with a person - take it to a pm.

I am quite sure she didn't think "Wow I'll make this other lady really mad by copying her swap description". She most likely didn't even think it would be a problem as it happens A LOT.

As for not identifying her - it's not that hard to figure it out, since it's a current swap just like yours. A simple search identifies her.

I made the PMS comment to lighten things. I still think you were dead wrong to start a thread like this. I think if you hang around in SCS for very long, you'll realize that these things happen and the best way to handle it is person to person as an adult. This type of behavior (starting a thread, etc..) reminds me of middle school gossip.

~Tom Lehrer

Stazon Splitcoast

I've been reading this since the beginning and just have say something. I don't do a lot of swaps on SCS. And I'm sure the OP was really just curious about "copying policies" when she posted her original question. And I must say I'm not so sure it has even been answered. Now perhaps she should have contacted one of the mods in the Swap forum.. but I don't think she meant any ill-will in her original post. If I posted a swap and someone copied it almost verbatim, I'd want to know if that was okay or not.

That said.. I have to say if someone did copy my swap almost verbatim.. and not even a week after I posted mine, I'd be a little unhappy. Some of these larger swaps are hard to fill up. I think the person that copied it obviously saw her swap and probably should have just participated in the original one if she wanted. But then of course, she may be a demo and want to "earn" on a large order such as all this ribbon would be.

Just my two cents.. and trust me.. it's not even worth that! ;)
Watercolor Wizard

If the issue is to find out if copying swap language is acceptable and not to complain - it shouldn't be mentioned that someone did this to her swap language then.

A post such as "Is it acceptable to copy swap language and use it as your own for a new swap" would have sufficed.

Actually, I'm going to look the poor gal up and send her a pm, I feel really sorry for her.

Casing language is NOT like casing a card for publication. I understand being upset about it - I don't understand posting a thread that easily identifies the person when you could have simply sent the person a pm.

~Tom Lehrer

Stazon Splitcoast

Just one more note.. I'm not so sure I would even consider the fact that the language was copied an issue here.. it's hard enough to fill up these product swaps. I think it would have been more considerate for the second "ribbon swap" to wait until the first was full or almost full to post. More an issue of consideration than anything else.
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Wowza - what a gang up on the OP. She asked a basic question and you are jumping all over her. Yes, we can all figure out the parties involved, but this has turned into a major gang-up! Yikes!

And khanek82 - I agree with you. I would be really ticked if someone did that to a swap I put together. I'm not a swapper, but there should be some general guidlines prohibiting that. JMHO!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Forum Fanatic

There's no need to label anyone as a "complainer".

BTW, re the comment thread where everyone is supposed to leave two comments in the previous poster's gallery, a person can leave a little reminder in their post to that thread by saying something like, "I'm in for leaving two comments in a gallery!" That's what I do! The other option I thought up, of quoting the pertinent section of the opening post each time, seemed a little too pointed even for me.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

As for not identifying her - it's not that hard to figure it out, since it's a current swap just like yours. A simple search identifies her.
Dang, Brandy...The OPer is fairly new to SCS. Cut her some slack.
Watercolor Wizard

LOL Consuelo...baptism by fire and all that I spose.

I love your avie btw - too funny. Is that you? (JUST KIDDING!)

~Tom Lehrer

Polyshrink Goddess

I don't understand why this is getting nasty!!! my goodness - it was just a simple question. sorry to offend! Thank you to all of you who are being nice and supportive. If I am wrong, I don't mind hearing it, but there are nicer ways of telling someone you don't agree with them! and why am I always getting criticized about what I post on here. I am newer and don't exactly "know the ropes" yet but at least I am not rude or mean, or copying people's posts or doing anything else completely out of line. Yet, I say something about those who are out of line and I get to hear about it? seems a little weird to me . . .
Gabfest Goddess

It will all be okay. Maybe do something to take your mind off this thread. The challenges are really fun! I hope you have a better day. I don't think you are being attached but that is just me.

My Gallery
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahanekView Post
she had almost all her sets retire in june. she decided to trade some of her retired stuff with someone (on SCS) for current stuff but was ripped off after she sent her $50 worth of stamps out. ended up with nothing!
Make sure you have contacted the mods about this- that's one of the reasons they are in the forum.
Polyshrink Goddess

I already did - she has been banned and I learned she did it to other SCS's too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijoView Post
Make sure you have contacted the mods about this- that's one of the reasons they are in the forum.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I already did - she has been banned and I learned she did it to other SCS's too!

I'm so glad it's been fixed. I know that so many of us are just used to mods dropping in to threads to settle spats or whatnot, but they are there too for when we have questions about procedures or policies. Kind of an inbetween step between just sucking it up or asking about it publicly on thread. For me, I take that step because, if I am wrong about something, lol, I'd rather be wrong in front of one person than the whole group! :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's no reason to have had people jump on you like that. If this route (starting a thread) wasn't what they would have chosen in this situation, that's no cause for such "in your face" comments.

Whatever, I'm glad it's fixed, and I really hope we'll see more of you!

Hugs,
Betsy
Polyshrink Goddess

JUST TO CLARIFY!!! I meant the lady that did the bad trade was banned, not the lady with the copied trade! I misread that - so my bad!!! Sorry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I'm so glad it's been fixed. I know that so many of us are just used to mods dropping in to threads to settle spats or whatnot, but they are there too for when we have questions about procedures or policies. Kind of an inbetween step between just sucking it up or asking about it publicly on thread. For me, I take that step because, if I am wrong about something, lol, I'd rather be wrong in front of one person than the whole group! :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's no reason to have had people jump on you like that. If this route (starting a thread) wasn't what they would have chosen in this situation, that's no cause for such "in your face" comments.

Whatever, I'm glad it's fixed, and I really hope we'll see more of you!

Hugs,
Betsy
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

If the issue is to find out if copying swap language is acceptable and not to complain - it shouldn't be mentioned that someone did this to her swap language then.

A post such as "Is it acceptable to copy swap language and use it as your own for a new swap" would have sufficed.

Actually, I'm going to look the poor gal up and send her a pm, I feel really sorry for her.

Casing language is NOT like casing a card for publication. I understand being upset about it - I don't understand posting a thread that easily identifies the person when you could have simply sent the person a pm.
I think maybe the politeness police need to find a new chief . . . ;)