Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:27 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Am I the only one with NO original ideas?

I make plenty of cards, but I don't *post* any here. I do feel badly about not sharing with this awesome community, but 99% of my cards are very close to exact copies of the creations I've found in the SCS Gallery! I do change them somewhat, depending on the circumstances, but many are nearly identical.

I have no idea where all of you get your AMAZING ideas, but THANK YOU!

Susan, who is feeling chatty this morning. :lol:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:51 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definately say you are NOT the only one! Yes there are so incredibly original and ingenious people here. There are also tons of us who make things that are a straight case or at least adapted from an idea we saw somewhere. There is nothing wrong with that!!!! What I challenge myself to do is to find someway to make it "mine" -- to add my own spin on things. Don't feel bad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:57 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Susan and Amy - I'm just like you. Very few of my cards are total CASEments but very similar. I don't think I have a creative bone in my body. That's what I l-o-v-e about the gallery.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:14 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree. When making cards or cooking I am great at following a reccipe but pretty lousy at doing things from scratch. I am working on that but I think it is something that gets better with practice. I am so thankful to this site...my friends think I am the most talented person around!! :lol: Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:14 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't feel bad, I start out CASEing a lot of cards too. SOme I come up with on my own. Last night I tried 2 of PrincessInk's cards. Her work is beautiful. I tried to sort of re-create her frog card, just to sort of improve my own technique. You learn a lot that way, by trial & error. I think it is a form of flattery & that is one reason that they post them, to share the ideas! So, no, You are definately not alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:24 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say the majority of my work is cased from here too! I joked at my last workshop that I actually came up with 2 of the ideas all by myself - that's so unusual for me! ;)

Sometmes I think I need to take a break from SCS so my creative juices can flow freely again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I, too, feel i have not a creative bone in my body. Only known about SCS a short time and can't believe the talent. and they share it all.... pics, directions, right down to paper color! I'm in heaven, can't get enough.
Penny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Believe me, NO, you are not the only one. If it wasn't for SCS, I don't think that I'd have any ideas. I did however, post 2 items in my gallery. My 2004 Christmas card, that I CASE'd and I made my first journal, the only original idea that I've had in a long time.

After looking at this months DD Gallery, I my need post to the gallery again. This women have a gift. I can't believe the ideas that they come up with.

I'm so thankful that I have a job and I don't have to depend on my stamping creativity to live. I'd starve to death.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:56 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You know there is nothing new under the sun... that being said,
I must say, I have yet to case something.... I tried ONCE and it looked so bad that I didn't do the original artist justice. HOWEVER, there are always ideas that I tuck away to try someother time...like I just did a really cute card with Love Ya Bunches and it uses elements that I have seen here and there and thought I would put them all together and see what happpened...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:02 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm missing that creative gene as well. I CASE cards and scrapbook layouts. If I create something on my own, I will use the same design over and over and over. I can't stand it! I MUST case or I will die, lol!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

I don't feel very original either. I will get an idea, or start case-ing a card only to make a mistake. It's when I try to cover that mistake that my designs become original! LOL Oh well, take what you can get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:17 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you ladies! I don't have a creative bone in my body but my friends and customers think I am a fabulous artist. It's all because of the gallery. I haven't posted a new card idea in months except for my daughters (lol). I'm not only casing cards now but scrapbooking layouts as well. This is the greatest source of inspiration when you are in a dry spell but it can also leave me at a lose on my own. I think the answer is moderation ,as in anyhting else, too much casing has left me totally dependant on the gallery.

Helen

My S.U. Website

SCS Member # 254
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Me too! I case a LOT! I just love these cards SO much that I just have to make them so I can show them in person to my customers. And, of course I tell them where I got the ideas. That way they can feel that they can do it too! Thanks SCS!

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I just had to jump in on this thread. I think the "crafty" gene completely skipped my body and landed on the floor somewhere. I'm definately of the opinion that it is OK to CASE completely (if credit is given) or CASE and tweak a little. I think I have had a few original ideas but then again I probably saw the idea somewhere and it just stuck with me. A good friend of mine always says "it is all about sharing" and I have taken that motto to heart. I just wish I had my own ideas, things or creative juices to share. :oops: But, that is why I love SCS because it is the norm to upload something that is not original and it is not frowned upon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:34 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessMi
But, that is why I love SCS because it is the norm to upload something that is not original and it is not frowned upon.
So true Prinny!

PS I miss you and the MSN...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Welcome to the club!

Hello There:

As the rest of us have said to you "No, you're not the only onewho is challenged" at this time to come up with an original idea. A lot of us are in the same boat. That is why "SCS rocks", it is a lifesaver!!! I'm so thankful for a place like SCS and for Stamping Sisters who love to share. As the saying goes "everything gets better with time" so just keep stamping and one of these days you will come up with your "original masterpiece". In the meantime, keep surfing SCS and compliment others for their beautiful pieces of work.

Happy Stamping,

Ana Malick ')
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

You have all made me feel so much better! I always have felt terrible or uncreative because I don't come up with my own ideas! I'm so glad I'm not alone and I don't feel quite so guilty anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Default orginal ideas

I feel like when you buy a stamp set, you really only have a couple of ideas on how to use it and find yourself repeating the same card or page. By seeing other's work it just gives you a little different idea how to use it. Especially New Members or New Stampers because they are not locked into rut a more experienced stamper does. I find a lot of the newer posters give me ideas that I never even thought of.

Shannon H
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love it when other stampers enjoy something I've done so much that they actually take the time out to try it themselves. And many times they add their own ideas and end up with a card that looks much better then mine. I always think " now why didn't I think of that". I definitely feel it's very flattering. I also believe that the reason why we upload our work is because we want to share it with others. There are so many beautiful samples here how can you not want to duplicate them. We all have artistic capability. Some of just need a little help bringing it out. If that means looking at someone else's work to get that help....what's wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I'm with you there! :( Very few of my cards are 100% original. The ones I do that are I never have the guts to upload. Thanks to all you stampers for your wonderful inspirations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default casing

Oh my gosh, we're suppose to have orginals!!!! Ha Ha! I have made a couple of orginals but most of them I have cased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:36 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would be lost without the gallery! I can't do anything on my own. I have tried and it just looks like a mess! I come to the gallery and get ideas, print out what I want to case and then try to tweak it. I always give credit where credit is due! I haven't posted any pics either because I'm :oops: it's not my original work! Maybe one day I'll pull out of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

This boat is really getting crowded :lol: I tend to CASE a card but usually change something to make it "mine". No , you are not alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I CASE most of the time, too, hopefully changing one little thing to suit my taste or replace a stamp I don't have that is used in the original.

I did that the other day...didn't have the background stamp that was used in the card that was posted and at first I thought 'darn, I can't make this now'...but I decided to try a little harder (tax my brain) and came up with some special vellum paper for the background that I really liked. I was really happy with the way the card turned out!

Sherrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Practically EVERYTHING I post is a modification of something I saw elsewhere.

I can only claim originality to probably 2 projects my entire stamping career.

Be not afraid: Post away and enjoy our accolades.

I LOVE to CASE and tweak a little to give it a touch of my own personality, but, honey, if you think we're all inventing the wheel, take the pressure off yourself and know that in probably 95% of the cases, we just copy REAL good and change it enough so that it APPEARS to be something new when really, it's been done already by someone else, who CASE'd it from someone else and so on, and so on . . .

Ask Tazadecafé! She'll tell you how good I am at mimicking/CASEing Hero Arts style with SU! stamps! She spotted it instantly! :shock:

GO PLAY with your stamps, have fun, CASE away, tweak it if you like--share your creations! We all are highly flattered to be CASE'd (of course, credit is also appreciated--IF you know where you got it from AND if it's an exact copy or so similar as to be obvious).

One of the biggest kicks for me is to see someone CASE an example of mine, and then see someone CASE the person who CASE'd me and notice how the design evolved or was tweaked a little for a slightly different take!

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR CREATIONS? If so, share 'em! So we can be happy, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Practically EVERYTHING I post is a modification of something I saw elsewhere.

I can only claim originality to probably 2 projects my entire stamping career.

Be not afraid: Post away and enjoy our accolades.

I LOVE to CASE and tweak a little to give it a touch of my own personality, but, honey, if you think we're all inventing the wheel, take the pressure off yourself and know that in probably 95% of the cases, we just copy REAL good and change it enough so that it APPEARS to be something new when really, it's been done already by someone else, who CASE'd it from someone else and so on, and so on . . .
Like I said, there is nothing new under the sun... LOL Even Julie gets her ideas from somewhere!!! LOL
I do have to admit though, I think I am losing it...I see a card layout in weird places now...like cereal boxes and soup can labels! SHHHHHH!!! Don't tell the looney bin they are on short in their head count!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes