Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with GinaK above about buying what we will use. My problem is, I see something great and think, "I would definitely use that!" Then I buy it and use it once or twice then don't have much time to stamp. I sit here in my office typing medical transcription reports and looking across the room at all of my unused stamping supplies that I desperately want to play with but just don't seem to have the time. At least once I get the time I will have fun toys to play with. Only problem is...by then there will be lots more new toys that I will just "have to have!" KWIM?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

They really are cute! And, that was the smallest quantity they had . . . off-hand, would you happen to have any project ideas for which they might come in handy?
I know SU had that super cute camping set, you could use the compasses with that. It would make GREAT cards for a girlscouts, boyscouts, campfire theme.

On a similar theme, Impress had miniture clocks and I had to stop myself from stockpiling them because they also, were soooo cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

I have a somewhat interesting story that relates to this topic. I started stamping 5 years ago and bought stuff over 3 years to make a very nice collection.

Then my husbands company closed and he was out of a job two weeks before our first daughter was due. While we survived, it took a huge hit on us financially. And a year later I ebayed all of my supplies and all but one stamp set.

It took another year before we were in a place that I could start over. At first I wasnt sure I wanted to, because of the costs involved but I decided that I would MAKE myself use my supplies.

And now, that's just what I do. Every Mon-Th after the kids are in bed at 7:30 I head into my craft room for a couple hours. Since doing this I've added resin jewelry and glass soldering to my list of crafting activities. And I work stamping and my supplies into all 3!

I do have a bit of a "pull" to get fancy products, copics, bind it all...etc. But I know I dont need them. It's taken me 4 months to actually order the giga scallop punches because I wanted to make sure that I really would use them!

However, jewelry making supplies are a whole other story......but I can sell my jewelry a lot faster then I can sell cards. So I feel like if I can make money from it then it's worth the price.

I agree with Gina and everyone else, buy what you love......not what other people are using. As many beautiful cards I've seen using 'baroque motifs' Im still not sold on it because it wasnt something I was drawn to on my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

this topic couldn't have come at a better time for me.
Just this past weekend, was a huge eye opener for me. I literally broke down in tears over my out of control urges to "get those sets now." I was so blinded by my "wants" that I actually embarrassed the crapola outta myself but posting a thread requesting help at obtaining those sets. My judgement was so clouded that I didn't even realize they were still available to the public and not retired like I had originally lead myself to believe. :oops: HELLO!? I have a catalog!!
I am extremely blessed with a huge assortment of supplies and stamps. The amount in itself is embarrassing. I'm a hoarder and a collector by nature. (quoting another poster here) I was raised in flea markets, scouting for collectibles with my grandfather(who worked for salvation army) and my mother. I know the difference, but it's very difficult to let go of things. Another issue, my husband pointed out to me is, that because of my upbringing I never had anything "new" everything was second hand and the teasing and finger pointing damaged me during school, creating a green eyed monster with-in me that always longed for the newest, trendiest gotta have items.
I've become easily influenced by things I see others creating, I want those things, I buy those things and never use them although my intentions are well meant. I have noticed that when I allow influence to interfere I am not true to my own calling, it's like pretending to be someone else.

I guess I have a lot of things to sell.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

They really are cute! And, that was the smallest quantity they had . . . off-hand, would you happen to have any project ideas for which they might come in handy?
Sounds like some great guy-cards in the making! (I'll bet there are at least 144 men out there who won't stop and ask for directions when they're lost...)

Denise - you really struck a chord!! I've been sitting here trying to decide if I should get a Cuttlebug or not. I LOVE the look of dry embossing, yet I'm also staring at a xyron machine I got a year ago (with a coupon, of course) because I just had to have it to make some of those fancy glitter window cards I was seeing here on SCS. It's still in the box...never even opened it yet. So, will I really use a Cuttlebug? And what if I do buy one only to discover I'm actually tired of the look since it seems like everybody but me uses it on their cards?

Thanks for this thread. You've made me really look at this from a different perspective, and I think I'll be holding off on a few things now.

Linda
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE/]
Denise - you really struck a chord!! I've been sitting here trying to decide if I should get a Cuttlebug or not. I LOVE the look of dry embossing
So, will I really use a Cuttlebug? And what if I do buy one only to discover I'm actually tired of the look since it seems like everybody but me uses it on their cards?
Linda[/QUOTE]

Linda- I was in the same boat. Then I saw a tip in the weekly inkling a while back about using the embossing folders without the pricey machine. By misting your paper with water then using a rolling pin to emboss it with the Cuttlebug folders. It's saved me a lot of money, each folder is under $5.00 and I use them often!

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

A cuttlebug is one purchase I sacrificed for and use all the time! And If I save my backside off I'll be able to buy the "nestabilities" to go with it and that should save money in the end, as I won't need all those Giga punches! Those babies are expensive!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlittergalView Post
Sounds like some great guy-cards in the making! (I'll bet there are at least 144 men out there who won't stop and ask for directions when they're lost...)
LOL! :grin:
Quote:

Denise - you really struck a chord!! I've been sitting here trying to decide if I should get a Cuttlebug or not. I LOVE the look of dry embossing, yet I'm also staring at a xyron machine I got a year ago (with a coupon, of course) because I just had to have it to make some of those fancy glitter window cards I was seeing here on SCS. It's still in the box...never even opened it yet.
This is a travesty! ;) I own (three) 3 Xyrons and use mine all the time!--which one did you get? I probably use my 510 the most of all, and, must confess to loving it! But, I use it for other applications, more than glitter windows. :grin:

Quote:

So, will I really use a Cuttlebug? And what if I do buy one only to discover I'm actually tired of the look since it seems like everybody but me uses it on their cards?
If you find the look tires or bores you, due to saturation, then, no, you may find yourself not using it. And, that would be a waste of your money. I think that's always a good indicator on whether or not something I might have been originally attracted to holds any enduring appeal for me, UKWIM?

Perhaps it is the same with you?

Quote:

Thanks for this thread. You've made me really look at this from a different perspective, and I think I'll be holding off on a few things now.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #49  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first started stamping (almost 10 years now) it seemed like I needed to get my hands on everything - althought there was a lot less "stuff" back then. I find myself hoarding paper and embellishments - and to what end? I am now so much more selective about what I buy and I think GinaK had a wonderful suggestion - go create something without looking at any blog/magazine, etc. and see what you are drawn to. This will tell you so much about your style. As for me, I've given myself permission to actually USE the ton of designer paper I've collected over the years and the past few cards I've made have been so enjoyable. Don't let your materials gather dust - USE them! I resisted the punch craze but after using the nestabilities in my cuttlebug I know I will get so much use out of the dies, so this will be a purchase I will make.
Of course, I'll always be drawn to palm tree and flamingo stamps, but I've come to the conclusion that the 12+ clock/watch stamps are sufficient (at least for now).

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkirkView Post
When I first started stamping (almost 10 years now) it seemed like I needed to get my hands on everything - althought there was a lot less "stuff" back then.
That's the truth!

I tend to resist change and won't try new things. When I began stamping (also 10 years ago) we attached ribbons with tacky glue and stood there for 5 minutes with your thumb pressed to the card.

Then the ribbon punches came out...

and then we discovered that we needed LONG REACH punches.

How did I deal with the changes of new and updated equiptment? I didn't. I quit using ribbons on my cards entirely.

When I heard of people using glue dots It took me aeons to actually fork out the dough and actually buy some. Now I can't live without them.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

This thread has made me feel REALLY GUILTY at all I've spent this summer. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
This thread has made me feel REALLY GUILTY at all I've spent this summer. :rolleyes:
Really? Why?

Will you use what you have purchased? Will you enjoy it?

You're a demonstrator. Will you show others what they can do with it at your workshops and classes?

The only problem with summer purchasing is that perhaps we aren't always afforded the time to use what we have acquired, because we're busy enjoying summer, hopefully enjoying time with friends and family, travelling mebbe even! At least, that's my case. But, come fall and winter, when the weather turns cold, wet, and blustery? You'll be armed and ready for hours of enjoyment! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Really? Why?

Will you use what you have purchased? Will you enjoy it?

You're a demonstrator. Will you show others what they can do with it at your workshops and classes?

The only problem with summer purchasing is that perhaps we aren't always afforded the time to use what we have acquired, because we're busy enjoying summer, hopefully enjoying time with friends and family, travelling mebbe even! At least, that's my case. But, come fall and winter, when the weather turns cold, wet, and blustery? You'll be armed and ready for hours of enjoyment! ;)

I feel guilty because I have a TON of stuff. Did I really need it? Probably not. Will I use it? Yes! I have gotten better about choosing things that I'll actually use instead of what's popular. But I have a ton of stuff and have way over spent this summer.

Will I show products to customers? I'm my own best customer. :mrgreen: I'm a hobby demo. I really don't have time for much else. Teaching and my son keep me very busy... well, and stamping & SCS, too. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
So, do you think this hobby is all about the buying first and the cardmaking second? (GASP). Why else become addicted to the site and LOOKING at the cards and not MAKING the cards. (I realize many of you do not fall into this category).
HEY!!! I resemble that accusation! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Denise....I always enjoy your threads. This one especially. It's like you're in my head! I am ADDICTED to blogs and those blogs are making me broke!! I am sure I have at least 50 blogs in my fav's that I check daily. You all know who you are!!! I find that sometimes I feel I get so overwhelmed by them that I become less creative rather than inspired due to their talent and quality of work. I can go weeks without making a card but meanwhile I have placed 3 or 4 on-line orders based on those blogs. Yes....I want to be like them when I grow up!! Having said that I will probably be going part time in December which is something I have wanted for so long. Today the dreaded Budget word came into my head when I was asked to join another monthly card party. Hmmm....If I go part time Dec 1 then that means I have 3.5 months to stock up. ROFL!! Thank Goodness Papertrey will be releasing at least 5 more sets BEFORE then counting tonights releases. Hahaha!
Take care everyone. Happy Stampin, Happy Blogging, Happy Shopping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #56  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Who are the Joneses, anyway?

If I like it, will use it, I buy it!

The only time I get into trouble, is if I buy it, and have no clue what I plan to do with it. Like 144 toy compasses.

I had an idea for 'em at one time, but, the time came and went for the occasion for which I actually needed 'em. Then, a month later, I bought 'em anyway, for just in case I did need 'em again. Cuz they're so dang cute. :rolleyes:
But, now, I don't actually need 'em.

Maybe 144 cards for soldiers to "Find their way back home"

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread did a lot for me as well. I won't mention any vendors by name, but there are some things I would have purchased in the past week and I am holding off.

check -- nope, no fever.

Guilty, yes. To answer Julie's question -- I have a lot of stuff I haven't used up yet. I don't know if I would have used everything I felt the urge to buy this week. But, even if I did, it doesn't matter. I would like to retire eventually!! I can't indulge my every whim.

Double check. Nope, no fever... I hate growing up...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #58  
Gabfest Goddess

There are very few things that I've bought and rarely or never used...and I have just about everything!
The products that I'm most happy about buying are my Prismacolor pencils! I detested coloring before I got them, and now it's all I ever do. My two-step stamps just sit there!
There are things I've bought that I used a lot at one time, but have put aside for the time being (Pearlex Powders come to mind). I know there will come a time when I'll want to use them again, and I'll have them right at hand!
At my age I don't have time to waste feeling guilty about anything! LOL! I suppose I'd feel differently if money was an issue, but, with adult children and no debt, it's time for me to do and buy what makes me happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #59  
Crimping Master

This thread has interesting timing for me... I'm reorganizing my craft corner and I'm a little dismayed about how much stuff I have (just a little.....)

I've been thinking about why I buy. I do use my stuff and sometimes its just a normal hobby purchase....

But other times, I know that I'm buying because its some kind of stress release for me. MY life (like EVERYONE else) is very busy and filled to overflowing with commitments to other people - kids, parents, DH, job, house, church, girl scouts, etc.

Sometimes I just get a little tired of spending every scrap of my energy taking care of others and constantly pushing what I want aside to do what others want or need.

When that feeling gets overwhelming - I tend to pop on the computer and buy myself some stuff because its quick and easy. And I have the illusion that I will someday have time to play with the stuff. (The other option is to eat ice cream - but that is a whole different thread).

I don't like this behavior in myself. I don't think its too healthy because its covering up the problem instead of addressing it. The fact is - I'm overcommitted (there - I said it!) and some of the things I'm committed to, I don't really value. I need to deal with that and start saying no more often.

I've been toying with a spending halt just to force myself to deal with the issues instead of using the on-line shopping and buying as a crutch.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 AM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Catherine,
I am like HappyHeart; at a time in my life where we can enjoy the fruits of our labor. My DH, so far, has smiled at my acquisitions - happy for me that I have something to do. How great is that?

I remember those days when our children were little and there were so many commitments for them and all their activities as my DH took a very active role in the school's activities. We were both also working; many hours of unpaid overtime as well. I longed for a time when I could do nothing. I should have been more specific in my wish as today, I am really living that "wish". Even as we get older, we live thru another chapter in our lives - to get there in good health and be able to still give of ourselves is a blessing.

You DESERVE to treat yourself and make time for yourself. I know that learning to say no is difficult, but try it out and. ... Take a step back and BREATHE!

Hugs,
Lynn

(I'd forget that Excel sheet for awhile)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a great thread! Lots and lots of smart ladies here with great tips -- thanks!

FWIW, this is my evolutionary process on making sure this awesome passion doesn't engulf me in debt, anxiety or shame. The first couple of years after the stampin bug bit this girl I couldn't get enough fast enough. Maybe you could call this the "stamping lust" period. But I was OK with it because a) You need a lot in the way of "basics" if you're going to have any creative flexibility, and b) this stuff isn't going to rot or spoil, I'll be able to play with my toys in retirement if I can't play with them now. Thank goodness a friend advised me to become a demo since I could easily meet the minimums on my own!

After the initial "gathering" I made a few regretable impulse purchases and after that I started applying the 24 hour rule (can't purchase it for 24 hours, if I still love it as much the next day, then I get the green light). From there I moved to the 3 pass rule (For catalogs and online buying). If something catches my eye, I mark it. The next time I'm browsing, if it's still calling my name, it gets a second nod. Third time means I won't tire of it and it gets the green light. For LSSs, I've learned I need to go in with a pre-set amount of cash. I won't let myself use the credit card or checkbook.

I have thousands of beautiful cards waiting to be born, many stamps I've not yet touched, and I'm full of happy anticipation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Loved your post, Jeaniebean!

Hope I did not make anyone feel too guilty. It was not the intention of my posting. I was simply curious, that I could have as much fun NOT making cards and just looking at them, buying things and looking at SCS and blogs. So I had to ask myself, which hobby do I really have? The first one, making cards? Or the latter??
It has been very interesting reading all your insightful responses to this thread! (smart ladies!)

Denise

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, this has been refreshing to read all these entries. I, too, have a tendency to hoard but I'm getting better. As someone said, the acquisition is almost as fun as the consumption.

The SCS Wish RAK has really been great because I've been able to get images of a punch or a particular stamp to see if I'll really use it and THEN decide if I want to purchase it. This was a great way to get some CB folder images to see if I really liked that particular folder.

I'm in the same category as several of you in that I'm retired, no debt, no children at home and my DH has his own hobbies (which are considerably more expensive than mine :>) so that's no problem.

Enjoy the hobby. Realizing you buy too much is half the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
how bout "feeling a little lost lately"

I LOVE THAT!!! I was also thinking either little spy kits or pirate kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #65  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Hope I did not make anyone feel too guilty. It was not the intention of my posting. I was simply curious, that I could have as much fun NOT making cards and just looking at them, buying things and looking at SCS and blogs. So I had to ask myself, which hobby do I really have? The first one, making cards? Or the latter??
It has been very interesting reading all your insightful responses to this thread! (smart ladies!)

Denise
I myself spend way more time looking at SCS and other places than I do actually crafting anything! If I spent 1/4 the time I spent on line actually doing something, I would be very productive!

And I have many of the symptoms of emotional buying that others have talked about. I grew up in a large family that barely had enough to cover the monthly expenses. Not a lot of room for extras or wants. But now that I am an adult and have been financially blessed a bit (not rich, just enough to get by and have a few extras and wants) I tend to indulge myself a bit. Especially if I am in a bit of a funk.

And I have a bit of a collector/hoarder instinct too. But I am on a mission now to use up some of that old stuff or get rid of it right now.

And P.S. for those on the fence about the Cuttlebug, I use mine just about every time I craft. That is one purchase I don't regret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I woke up during the night and chuckled, thinking about Julie's 144 toy compasses!

I think as you ladies have expressed that it is ok, within reason, to acquire things you really love, so you have them to use when you have free time.

Also, if you love an image, but not the whole stamp set, remember you can request images on SCS, and get a sheet or two stamped of something you want, without making a purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 AM   #67  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Denise
I agree; especially loved her closing!

Denise - we sorta went off topic didn't we? But it was very insightful and fun as well! I spend way too much time reading and enjoying all the blogs and hopping from one to another. As well as clicking on links to marvelous on-line stores. {clears throat} Everything is so enjoyable!

Thank you for the OP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Denise, you are sooo on the money! It's like that with any hobby or interest- if you see an end result you like, you often think you need to tools to get to the same end result, but honestly you usually don't.

I am super new to stamping/scrapping- like a month new, and I've been very wary of falling into this trap as I've been entering in. I started out with the idea for 2 scrapbooks- one for my recent honeymoon and another for the wedding. So far I've done a pretty good job of only buying things I plan to use specifically for the one scrapbook I'm working on now, but since I'm starting from scratch I've still managed to drop a few hundred dollars!

I've definitely fallen into the "I must have all necessary tools" trap before, but hopefully I'll be able to *mostly* avoid it this time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #69  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
how bout "feeling a little lost lately"

And....Send them to everyone you know that watches LOST!:-D :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #70  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I think my post #'s answer any question about where I spend my time....LOL

I am definately a collector but I did make 18 of one card and 20 of another this past week.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #71  
Kookie Creator

I'm afraid I'm one of those "wanna be like my stamping idol when I grow up" people and end up buying stuff because I think then my cards will look as good as theirs one day... hasn't happenend yet..

I even wrote to one of them and told her I wanted to be like her when I grow up and now thinking about it am quite embarrassed with all the gushiness..:(

I know I need to purge, like clothes, what's the rule? If you haven't worn it in over a year then give it away or throw it away. Maybe I should do that with my stamping/scrapbooking supplies... But it's always well one day I just might need that or it might come back in style..

I've rambled enough, love this thread to hear everyone's comments and know I'm not the only one out there! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny HawkinsView Post
I think my post #'s answer any question about where I spend my time....LOL

I am definately a collector but I did make 18 of one card and 20 of another this past week.:-D
I would love to know what's behind your 'location' - are you a "Ghost Whisperer"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #73  
Mad Swapper

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinksView Post
Why don't you use them like you did the miniature cards for the royal flush. Instead...you could have a sentiment like: Thanks for showing me the way!

Then you would have *just* 143 left. 142 if you make an extra card for twinks. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

I really think it is the process of collecting/buying/searching that brings as much joy. As long as you can afford what you are doing and it is not causing problems or affecting other areas of life I think it is fine.

Children always want the newest toy who can blame them? As may grow up our urges don't go away they just move on to bigger and better things. Before stamping, I was NUTS over makeup. I have drawers and drawers full of it. It would fill a room. And I am talking high end super pricey stuff. Just love it. Before that when I was in college it was Beanie Babies. I am ashamed to say I even ran a website that just exploded and became so huge I finally burned out on it - you want to see obsession go back to the late 90s and Beanies! LOL (btw I no longer run the site and Ty bought my domain hmph :( Ooh am I rambling? lol

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #75  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I think that people who indulge in hobbies like this tend to be on the obsessive compulsive side. Take this little quiz:

a) Do you frequently go to brick & mortar stores or online stores and buy something just because you are there and you have the urge, not because you went for something specific? Is it almost like an itch that you have to scratch?

b) Do you feel yourself shopping to make yourself feel better? Do you feel anxious if you haven't bought something new for yourself lately?

c) After you buy something new, how long before you start lusting after the next thing? A day? Do you open the box you just get and feel like something is missing that you should have bought, but didn't?

e) Do you actually USE what you buy (at least the consumbable stuff), or do you save it for something really good, but the something really good never comes? Do you feel intimidated using something in case you use it the wrong way, i.e., you'll have wasted the "potential" of the item even if whatever you make turns out gorgeous?

If you answered yes to most of these, you're probably on the obsessive/compulsive side.

I recognized that I, myself, have a bit of OCD. I'm more obsessed than compelled, but it all has something to do with anxiety and how we calm ourselves. The obsession, though, can lead to compulsive shopping. Once I figured this out about myself, I found I can control it better now that I'm aware of it.

It's not all bad. When I'm truly obsessed, I can get amazing amounts of great work done and there is no high quite like it. On the reverse side, once I begin to fall out of an obsession, it's almost impossible to get anything done and I start leaving things unfinished. A lot of the pleasure is gone and I just can't get it back. Sound familiar?

Selling stamps has actually allowed me to become non-obsessed with them to some degree. I no longer have the intense attachment to my "stuff" that leads to hoarding issues. I don't feel bad about selling off stamps, because I have learned that there will always be more of them. I can use them for a season, then let them go. I've also learned that I don't have to have every scrapbooking/stamping magazine on the face of the planet; I do not have to buy every one like I used to.

Paper, though, I still have a problem with. Luckily it's a cheap problem. I'm learning to let paper go as well, but it is hard.
You're preaching to the choir here, Jan!
PS: What happened to D)?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #76  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiebelleView Post
Maybe 144 cards for soldiers to "Find their way back home"
Good idea!!!!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hope I did not make anyone feel too guilty. It was not the intention of my posting.
Awww, thanks! I wasn't picking up "guilty" in anyone's post, and I didn't feel that way...

Quote:

I was simply curious, that I could have as much fun NOT making cards and just looking at them, buying things and looking at SCS and blogs. So I had to ask myself, which hobby do I really have? The first one, making cards? Or the latter??

Denise
but (blushing here) sorry... I sorta sidestepped the OP! So.... to answer that questions -- I love going online and looking at all the awesome cards y'all create. I easily put in more viewing time than actual creating time, and I love every second of it! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #78  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
I feel guilty because I have a TON of stuff. Did I really need it? Probably not. Will I use it? Yes! I have gotten better about choosing things that I'll actually use instead of what's popular. But I have a ton of stuff and have way over spent this summer.

Will I show products to customers? I'm my own best customer. :mrgreen: I'm a hobby demo. I really don't have time for much else. Teaching and my son keep me very busy... well, and stamping & SCS, too. ;)
Ditto for me! Also a teacher; also bought too much stuff this summer. (I have the time in the summer to cruise stores.) I was out this evening looking for cool stuff to stamp on when my sister and I get together. I brought in two bags, along with the bread, juice, etc. My husband looked up as I walked in the door and said "Two more boxes came while you were gone." I shouldn't, but I feel guilty. I go back to work next week, and I've promised myself that I will stay out of the stores tomorrow, and just stamp (and exercise).
Reply With Quote Likes